Teen dies after party

Teen dies after party

There are 106 comments on the Columbia Daily Tribune story from Jul 7, 2007, titled Teen dies after party. In it, Columbia Daily Tribune reports that:

“Our kids are pretty high-tech. They are using drugs that are easy to obtain from Mom or Dad or Grandma's medicine cabinet”

Ben Smith's father knew the teenager had problems with alcohol and marijuana but never suspected he was into harder drugs. via Columbia Daily Tribune

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbia Daily Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
clint ludwig

Southfield, MI

#1 Jul 9, 2007
I am a cousin of ben.I have had a troubled past myself, but i think that if there is not something done about this there will be more children that are going to fall to this same problem.I think that there should be people from the community get involved if the cop's can't get the kid's to coperate .as a former addict i feel that if one of thoose kid's have guilt they will work with someone they trust.please seek justice in this tragic case .if the kid's are not educated about more than pot and coke /meth\x how will theylearn? somewhere in iowa//////////6974

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#2 Jul 10, 2007
your not the only one who wants something done about these patches I have been working on changing them for the past 2 years and am getting no where I make progress then it just all stops I think the dea needs to monitor this drug more closely. My story is alot diffrent then yours but I still lost my son who was only 4 because he thought the patch was a sticker and he put it on and died and I did keep my meds out of reach but because his dad was an addict he found one of the patches that his dad stole from me and put it on in the same place that his dad used to put his so no one would no he was wearing one. My heart goes out to you and your family
From Ashland Missouri

United States

#3 Jul 17, 2007
I attended the same highschool as ben..I think its very important that someone gets involved and quick. It should have been dealt with after the first student died of a drug overdose. Everyone just put it behind them, and acted like nothing happened. And not even 2 years later...it happens again. Kids in Ashland just dont know what the limit is..They are partying and thinking they are going to be fine. There are so many kids out there who are doing stuff..they drive home, and go to bed. Not even thinking that maybe they could get in a car accident, and kill themself or someone else...or go home, go to sleep, and never wake up. The police need to know where the kids are getting this stuff from..where the common party spots are..and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
Andrea

Columbia, MO

#4 Nov 9, 2007
i was kind of like bens girl friend i want something done about this to its not right He was a good guy and this wasent the way this should have gone
Colorado

United States

#5 Nov 13, 2007
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a friend who almost lost her nephew from an overdoes like this. Thankfully he had told his sister what he was on before he fell in to a coma. I don't know this story and am worried that this may not be the right place to express the positive of patches. I am a chronic pain suffer who would not be able to walk without awful pain if I did not have the patch available. Before this medication was made available to me my husband carried me up the stairs and help me walk to the bathroom if I was more than a few steps away. It has given me a productive life to enjoy my family.
Too Observant

Malvern, PA

#6 Nov 15, 2007
It sux to see this happen almost daily. Another kid just getten mixed up in the wrong things. There is so many times i should have been put in a box but got lucky. So sorry for your guys loss. These are problems that don't seem like they are going anywhere infact as govt meet keeps maken these drugs they just keep getten stronger and stronger. You find that most people that end up in rehab started there addiction when they got injured and were given pain medicin. Now their lives are ruined its a shame

“I am just a MAN ...NOT A GOD”

Since: Jan 07

MINNETONKA .Minn ...Warlocks

#7 Nov 16, 2007
From Ashland Missouri wrote:
I attended the same highschool as ben..I think its very important that someone gets involved and quick. It should have been dealt with after the first student died of a drug overdose. Everyone just put it behind them, and acted like nothing happened. And not even 2 years later...it happens again. Kids in Ashland just dont know what the limit is..They are partying and thinking they are going to be fine. There are so many kids out there who are doing stuff..they drive home, and go to bed. Not even thinking that maybe they could get in a car accident, and kill themself or someone else...or go home, go to sleep, and never wake up. The police need to know where the kids are getting this stuff from..where the common party spots are..and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
so explain something to me if we blindly take drugs not knowing or going by what some other person tells us about the drug then i feel your not to bright of a person ..if some one told me a bout fentanly and said i would get high for 1 or 2 days i would think this must be powerfull if it can do that .. now if kids just want to take drugs with out knowing notthing about it then the devil take the day if teen ages are not smart enought to look up on internet or research what they are takein illeagel any way i know i just would not take any drug knowing it could cost me my life even if you have an rx from a doc you still can die from misuse or reaction from it WHY IS IT NOBODY HADS TO BE RESPONDSABLE FOR THERE ACTIONS ANY MORE SAD WORLD ITS WAS NOT MY FALT IT WAS HIS OR HERS FALT THEY GAVE IT TO ME >>WAKE UP>>>>>>>
Too Observant

Phoenixville, PA

#8 Nov 16, 2007
Halloween Jack wrote:
<quoted text> so explain something to me if we blindly take drugs not knowing or going by what some other person tells us about the drug then i feel your not to bright of a person ..if some one told me a bout fentanly and said i would get high for 1 or 2 days i would think this must be powerfull if it can do that .. now if kids just want to take drugs with out knowing notthing about it then the devil take the day if teen ages are not smart enought to look up on internet or research what they are takein illeagel any way i know i just would not take any drug knowing it could cost me my life even if you have an rx from a doc you still can die from misuse or reaction from it WHY IS IT NOBODY HADS TO BE RESPONDSABLE FOR THERE ACTIONS ANY MORE SAD WORLD ITS WAS NOT MY FALT IT WAS HIS OR HERS FALT THEY GAVE IT TO ME >>WAKE UP>>>>>>>
I think the sad thing is that phentanyl is a gov't perscription and kids that are nieve think they can just take it because it is so. The problem is that almost any perscription can kill you if you take enough of it especially govt pain medicins. They see that grammy is taking 80mg of oxy in the morning and before bed so they think that well if grammy can stomach two of these in a day i can prolly do two at once and then they end up O.Ding. These drugs were madae by the govt to cut in on the herion profits of the streets. I mean if after the 70's there was a big crack down on police and govt officals taken money and drugs. So this is the perfect solution to their problem. Only thing is the results are just as devistating.

#9 Nov 17, 2007
WHAT EVER ......you know very little of what you talk.....haveing fentanyl is the only thing that has kept me going with very sever back pain day after day you see i dont get off on it it just helps remove the PAINNNNNNNNN
kimmy

Columbia, MO

#10 Nov 17, 2007
i have known Ben for ever he was a sweet guy and he was fun to be around. he just went down the wrong path. he wasnt suppose to die this way noone should. its not right about what happend.
it wasnt noones fault to what happend to him. but everybody will miss him
kimmy

Columbia, MO

#11 Nov 17, 2007
no but it wasnt ment to happen he was a good guy.
kimmy

Columbia, MO

#12 Nov 17, 2007
ben was a good guy this shouldnt had happen to him. he will always be missed by me. we will miss you ben!!!
Too Observant

Malvern, PA

#13 Nov 19, 2007
Halloween Jack wrote:
WHAT EVER ......you know very little of what you talk.....haveing fentanyl is the only thing that has kept me going with very sever back pain day after day you see i dont get off on it it just helps remove the PAINNNNNNNNN
are you perscribed or are you just obtianing it illegally

#14 Nov 19, 2007
Too Observant wrote:
<quoted text>
are you perscribed or are you just obtianing it illegally
THATS FOR ME TOO KNOW AND NONE OF YOUR CONSERN JUST GET A BIG SPOON..... AND STIR IT UP JERKKK
Kaytlin

Columbia, MO

#15 Dec 5, 2007
No you dont have to have a drug to stop your problems. or to make you feel better it's stupid and your just abusing your body.
pink from como

Columbia, MO

#16 Feb 26, 2008
halloween jake just stop talking on here if your going to tell us that drugs are ok b/c there not we lost a very good friend ben smith he was a good guy do u even know him? just stop u can go and do what u want but don't even try telling us that drugs are ok.
the man from DEAth

Hastings, MN

#17 Feb 26, 2008
pink from como wrote:
halloween jake just stop talking on here if your going to tell us that drugs are ok b/c there not we lost a very good friend ben smith he was a good guy do u even know him? just stop u can go and do what u want but don't even try telling us that drugs are ok.
shut the hell up duumass you notthing of what you speak,,woof woof......
pink como

Columbia, MO

#18 Feb 27, 2008
ok did u even know ben? and don't tell me to shut the hell up
soho mo

Columbia, MO

#19 Feb 27, 2008
u know what the man from DEAth u just need to leave pink como alone she is just saying that bens family and other friends don't wont to here about drugs on here they wont to here about how good of a guy ben was and how it's to bad that he is gone and how good of a friend he was that's all so please just stop!!
soho mo

Columbia, MO

#20 Feb 27, 2008
From Ashland Missouri wrote:
Hey who is this??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Do you think Kevin Crane should be sent to jail? (Nov '13) Apr 28 Kevin 30
CR Distributing (Apr '13) Apr 27 Hmmmmmm 103
Team Navigator (Sep '11) Apr 17 News Reporter 214
News Fathers Plays a Critical Role in Family Values ... Apr 16 LUCY JANE 1
News Spike Lee's University of Missouri documentary ... Apr 16 LUCY JANE 1
News Potential Cholesterol-Lowering Drug Molecule Ha... Apr 16 LUCY JANE 1
News Billy Joe Hart Apr 16 LUCY JANE 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages