Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race

Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race

There are 59 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Police say two friends were racing each other just seconds before a fatal car crash in Ashland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
saramiller

AOL

#50 Jul 20, 2008
Joe Schmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to check the laws before you comment. An underage person only needs to have a .02 bac to be charged with OUI. Which means 1 drink can do it. Doesn't mean you need to be drunk. 1 drink can impair your abilities, which include reflex time.
I am truly sorry for your loss.. but you are not helping yourself, or them for that matter on here at all by defending them. You said it yourself before, he was passing him and cutting him off "as a joke". That is reckless, alcohol involved or not.
hunny i know my laws. and i also know john. there is a lesson here for all to learn, but it most certainly isnt that he deserved anything. speeding and drinking is never a good thing i agree to that. but wwake upi and read what some of these people are saying. everyone is due to their opinion, but take in mind what you say. and if you dont know the facts becareful what you say. there are a lot of things that cops never mentioned that happened. but i suppose thats unbelievable...i hope something like this NEVER happens to any of you. i assure you if it does, you wouldnt be saying anything like this.
saramiller

AOL

#51 Jul 20, 2008
and i agree that it was wreckless. i never said what he did was okay. my point is, that these people on here saying he deserves it and so does supple are wrong. they dont know anything. its offending. but perhaps im naive to people like that. im not used to cold hearted people. its sad the world we live in today...
Joe Schmoe

Syracuse, NY

#52 Jul 20, 2008
saramiller wrote:
<quoted text>
hunny i know my laws. and i also know john. there is a lesson here for all to learn, but it most certainly isnt that he deserved anything. speeding and drinking is never a good thing i agree to that. but wwake upi and read what some of these people are saying. everyone is due to their opinion, but take in mind what you say. and if you dont know the facts becareful what you say. there are a lot of things that cops never mentioned that happened. but i suppose thats unbelievable...i hope something like this NEVER happens to any of you. i assure you if it does, you wouldnt be saying anything like this.
It has happened to me, 10 years ago. My friend thought he could speed and go 100mph on a highway and get away with it. He had only had a few drinks, so he wasn't drunk persay. But his actions led to his death. And he had many near and some smaller accidents before this. I don;t make any excuses for him or defend him. I am not saying you are making excuses, but whether or not people here say your friend was racing, should not matter. I think we both agree your friend was speeding? Am I right? Speeding alone, by itself is dangerous enough. People do not realize how dangerous it is. I am not sure the exact figures, but a study I read once said the chances of surviving a head on collision, only goin 60 mph were extremely low. No one should have to suffer a loss like this. So for that I am truly sorry. I don't know about anyone else, but I never said he deserved this.
Amenhoptep III

Broadalbin, NY

#53 Jul 20, 2008
dont believe in speeding
julie

Mendon, MA

#56 Aug 1, 2008
good for you saramiller. i applaud you for taking the time to say the truth about everything that happened. i completely agree with everything you have said. And, for all of you who are sitting there saying all this stuff about reckless driving and being stupid.. and thank god no one else was hurt.... take a second to think about this. john was 19 years old. im not saying that this is an excuse that makes it okay to do stupid things, but think about it. im sure that every single person who has said "ohhh they got what they deserved" or something along those lines has done something pretty damn stupid in their lifetime like this. its just unfortunate that it took johnnys life, and for some reason, other people can get away with doing very similar things. john was also one of my brothers best friends. my brother has told me that john used to do stupid things like this all the time. thats just john. it doesnt make it right that he had a drink... but if he had been two years older than he was, no one would make such a big deal out of a .03. i just dont understand why some of you had to comment to tell us all how this was stupid and people got what they deserved, because no one deserves to die, and yes it was stupid.. BUT EVRYONE DOES STUPID THINGS. oh and.. nothing ever happens in ashland. youd be suprised what people make of things.
Joe Blow

Syracuse, NY

#58 Aug 1, 2008
saramiller wrote:
<quoted text>
What lesson is the dead kid going to learn?
wow

Mendon, MA

#59 Aug 17, 2008
wow joe blow... ur just an ass
homer

Cranston, RI

#60 Aug 19, 2008
comming from holliston myself i know ashland well its allways been a problem there with speeding on elliot st.

i see things never change i have been out of the area for at least 20 years with nothing but short visits back and i still see the kids racing down the same streets that we used to. they think they are doing something new but they are not.

i jsut wish the cops would ad remote cameras in troubble spots,
Oops

Concord, MA

#61 Aug 23, 2008
I don't feel sorry for him.

Speeding, driving to endanger.

far from being a tragedy, this was his own fault.

The vehicle was on the left hand side of the road, on a bend.

the reaction of his friends pulling down their pants towards the media is a significant statement as to their immature/I know better than you state of mind
Believe It Or Not

Easthampton, MA

#62 Aug 23, 2008
julie wrote:
good for you saramiller. i applaud you for taking the time to say the truth about everything that happened. i completely agree with everything you have said. And, for all of you who are sitting there saying all this stuff about reckless driving and being stupid.. and thank god no one else was hurt.... take a second to think about this. john was 19 years old. im not saying that this is an excuse that makes it okay to do stupid things, but think about it. im sure that every single person who has said "ohhh they got what they deserved" or something along those lines has done something pretty damn stupid in their lifetime like this. its just unfortunate that it took johnnys life, and for some reason, other people can get away with doing very similar things. john was also one of my brothers best friends. my brother has told me that john used to do stupid things like this all the time. thats just john. it doesnt make it right that he had a drink... but if he had been two years older than he was, no one would make such a big deal out of a .03. i just dont understand why some of you had to comment to tell us all how this was stupid and people got what they deserved, because no one deserves to die, and yes it was stupid.. BUT EVRYONE DOES STUPID THINGS. oh and.. nothing ever happens in ashland. youd be suprised what people make of things.
Julie and Saramiller can go back to your trailers and take care of your love children. The welfare checks are in the mail.
wow

Mendon, MA

#63 Aug 29, 2008
Believe It Or Not wrote:
<quoted text>
Julie and Saramiller can go back to your trailers and take care of your love children. The welfare checks are in the mail.
your cool.
From Southbridge

Berlin, MA

#64 Aug 30, 2008
saramiller wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU HAVE GO TO BE KIDDING ME! you are such a cold hearted person. i dont know who you are, but you sure as hell dont know john or anyone that was involved. no one ever deservs to die. and he wasnt a little turd. he has a name, and its John. He was 19 years old, lived with his mom and sister. just got back from mexico with his dad. give the kid some respect. he made a mistake. im sure youve made yours...oh wait..you even bothering to leave a rude inconsiderate cold hearted message about someone you dont know is proof you have and obviously cant learn from them. everyone here in ashland lost someone they loved whether he was a friend, a brother, a son..i feel bad for you sir..you must not know anything about compassion or empathy. you must lead a very sad life. my heart goes out to you. just do everyone the favor and the next time you see sad news hit the sites, ignore and speak to yourself. no one wants to hear someone being completely arrogant and a VERY IMPROPER TIME. RIP JOHN CURTIN...WE LOVE AND MISS YOU, YOU TRUELY SAVED MY BROTHERS LIFE. I LOVE YOU!!!!!
No, you must be "kidding me".
these are mistakes that SHOULD NEVER BE MADE. Kids these days should f-ing know this by now, and if they dont then I have no sympathy or empathy for anyone driving drunk or recklessly - let alone COMPASSION. My boyfriend and I were almost killed my a drunk driver before new years, and I have a couple friend who have lost their lives to drunk and restless drivers.
I will never have compassion or feel bad towards the people who drive like that because they should have known better.

It is f-ing reckless and bad things happen to people who are not doing anything wrong because of these kids/people who decide to drive drunk and irresponsibly.
Hillary

Watervliet, NY

#65 Aug 31, 2008
Cellphone
afriend

Gilroy, CA

#66 Jan 15, 2009
i agree with saramiller jon curtin lost his life but in doing so saved one. he told his friend to get in the other car saving him from the unfortunate event. john saved him! johns touched the hearts of so many. i new him very well and to be honest if i ever meet the person who wrote they got what they deserve i will BEAT THE $#!t out of them. thats a promise. GOD BLESS JOHNS FAMILY may he rest in peace. YOU SAVED MY BEST FRIENDS LIFE...THANK YOU JOHN I OWE YOU EVERYTHING
afriend

Gilroy, CA

#67 Jan 15, 2009
Believe It Or Not wrote:
<quoted text>

saramiller just so happens to be a very respected person in the communitty teacher children at a local school, she college degrees and when she was a child helped raise her younger siblings. she is a hero to. john did not deserve to die they were not racing it was a car ACCIDENT everyone on this site that doesn't feel for the loss of john can go screw themselves you didnt know him we did. robby has to deal with this event for the rest of his life, and its not fair that young kids have this happen to them. keep your comments to yourself, what if there parents saw this. BY THE WAY IM IN THE US ARMY AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL IN TAKING SUM OF YOU GUYS IN A LITTLE OLD FASHIONED FIGHT JUST GIVE ME THE WORD. by the way JOHNS army will be behind me
George

De Pere, WI

#68 Jan 16, 2009
saramiller wrote:
<quoted text>
john sped up cuz he wanted to cut him off as a joke
It is too bad your friend died, but this statement, in your own words, would prove that they were racing.

If one kid was in one lane, and the other tried to pass, and then the first speeds up, that is racing.
lmarie

Medway, MA

#69 Feb 19, 2009
You didnt know johnny . yes he made some bad decisions but no one derserves to die like that. He was 19 hes a kid with a whole future ahead. unless you knew him you have no right to judge him. no one is perfect but everyone deserves a long lived happy life.
lmarie

Medway, MA

#70 Feb 19, 2009
ill never wish this on anyone. but god forbid one of your children made the mistake johhny did are you gonna sit there and trash them? say its all their fault? they deserved it?

think about it,
your grown dont be iggnorant.
Angel

Wellesley, MA

#71 Apr 10, 2009
Believe It Or Not wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe It Or Not: What kind of person are saying really mean thing like this? You are an evil person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ted Nugent Suggests He's Ready For Armed Revolt... (Jan '13) Aug 1 Viking Power 32
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) Jul '17 Darn Tootin 10
Student freaks out over seeing Rebel flag Jun '17 Borderguard 1
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Framingham Jun '17 VictorOrians 1
Review: A Aria Bridal & Formal Inc (Feb '10) May '17 Un satisfied cust... 28
News Overprinting error on $1 note is obvious, but... May '17 Vernon Peterson 1
News Diet sodas may be tied to stroke, dementia risk... Apr '17 AmeriBev 1

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages