Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race

Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race

There are 59 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Police: Ashland teen dies as cars race. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Police say two friends were racing each other just seconds before a fatal car crash in Ashland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
citrus

Cape Coral, FL

#1 Jul 16, 2008
Condolences go out to the family that lost their loved one!!! This was really stupid, one teen is dead and another is looking at jail time, I am sure. What the hell is up with kids now a days? I hope the kid that survived this, realizes that pure stupidiy killed his friend and could of killed him. I hope he learns from it.
RepoerterBoi

Pittsfield, MA

#4 Jul 16, 2008
" Nineteen-year-old John Curtin was pronounced dead at the scene of Monday night's crash after his car flipped over and slammed into a telephone pole as he tried to pass a car driven by 19-year-old Robert Supple."
"Supple pleaded not guilty in Framingham District Court yesterday to drunken driving, illegal racing and reckless driving. He was released on bail but is not allowed to drink or drive and must undergo random alcohol screenings."
The Berkshire Eagle doesn't know you have to be 21 to drink.
jimbob

Christiansburg, VA

#6 Jul 16, 2008
citrus wrote:
Condolences go out to the family that lost their loved one!!! This was really stupid, one teen is dead and another is looking at jail time, I am sure. What the hell is up with kids now a days? I hope the kid that survived this, realizes that pure stupidiy killed his friend and could of killed him. I hope he learns from it.
What's up with kids now a days?

Kid's behavior isn't different now than it was 'back in the day'. Fact of the matter is media coverage has increased ten fold & the country as a whole has cracked down on drunken driving. Even just 15 years ago this little turd could've walked away with a slap on the wrist, now it's almost certain he will receive jail time.

In other words, drunken driving wasn't such a big deal many moons ago, citrus.
i remember

Schenectady, NY

#7 Jul 16, 2008
walking down Dalton Avenue a few weeks ago..and this orange truck, set low to the ground, pimped out to the nines, went flying down Dalton avenue going at LEAST - AT LEAST 80-85mph racing another car. i couldn't believe it. i see this a lot. the ONLY people I feel sorry for are the families.
i remember

Schenectady, NY

#9 Jul 16, 2008
yes, and it just happened not too long ago.
Joe Schmoe

Syracuse, NY

#10 Jul 16, 2008
RepoerterBoi wrote:
" Nineteen-year-old John Curtin was pronounced dead at the scene of Monday night's crash after his car flipped over and slammed into a telephone pole as he tried to pass a car driven by 19-year-old Robert Supple."
"Supple pleaded not guilty in Framingham District Court yesterday to drunken driving, illegal racing and reckless driving. He was released on bail but is not allowed to drink or drive and must undergo random alcohol screenings."
The Berkshire Eagle doesn't know you have to be 21 to drink.
WHat that means is that if he is caught drinking, or drunk he can have his bail revoked and held in jail to await trial. The simple act of being drunk while underage isn't a crime, in his case it is a violation of the terms of bail which is just he same. A 40 year old male arrested for the same offense can be told he is not allowed to drink while out on bail.
Simba

Albany, NY

#11 Jul 16, 2008
What a waste of life
MGLBoi

Pittsfield, MA

#12 Jul 16, 2008
Joe Schmoe wrote:
<quoted text>
WHat that means is that if he is caught drinking, or drunk he can have his bail revoked and held in jail to await trial. The simple act of being drunk while underage isn't a crime, in his case it is a violation of the terms of bail which is just he same. A 40 year old male arrested for the same offense can be told he is not allowed to drink while out on bail.
MGL - Chapter 90, Section 24p
MGL - Chapter 90, Section 8
Joe Schmoe

Syracuse, NY

#13 Jul 16, 2008
You missed my point. ReporterBoi seemed to insinuate that the Eagle doesn't know you have to be 21 to drink. The point of the article was to say that there are stipulations of his bail, one of which is he can't drink at all. If a person under 21 is found drunk by the police, providing he isn't driving, or does not have the bottle of booze in his possession anymore, the most that will happen is he would be placed in protective custody. In this situation, his age has nothing to do with it. If it was a 40 year old male that was racing instead of a 19 year old, the judge can give him the same caveat, not to drink.
sad story

Shutesbury, MA

#14 Jul 16, 2008
jimbob wrote:
Unfortunate, but they both got what they deserved.
Is it deserving that the deceased loved ones will never see him again.What a insensitive creture you are.
saramiller

AOL

#15 Jul 16, 2008
jimbob wrote:
Unfortunate, but they both got what they deserved.
wow! i know everyone that was involved in this accident. John's my brothers best friend and my brother WITNESSED everything that happened. WATCHED his friend pass away right in front of him. NO ONE WAS RACING. its just something that the cops said to TRY and come up with a reason. NO ONE DESERVED ANYTHING. THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT NOT RACING, NO ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED ANYTHING! yes..john could have made a different decision, and he would still be here today if that were the case, but HOW DARE ANYONE say they deserve it? kharma goes around my friend. John certainly didnt deserve to die. no one does. John was one of the nicest kids you would have ever met. would have done anything for anyone. you should be ashamed. and just so everyone else knows and is clear, there was NO racing, cops AND reporters and trying to make it more than it was. have consideration for the family and friends of everyone. They were just headed to a friends house to play poker...i really hope your words haunt you at night..
saramiller

AOL

#16 Jul 16, 2008
(sad story) thank you for your consideration in this. whome ever wrote that is definately an insensitive *&^$%#$^**&...so to speak. my brother and john were inseparable. everyday for years and years john has been at my house. he was considered part of the family. its so sad to see that people can even say those sort of things. but you know i bet if he was the one who witnessed his friend pass on, he wouldnt be so nonchallant. thank you again.
MOTHER NATURE

Shutesbury, MA

#17 Jul 16, 2008
Buck Stark wrote:
Stupidity is Mother Nature's last resort for proper natural selection.
And you ignorant S.O.B. you may be next....weeding out ignorant people like you is a pleasure....
SAD LOSS

Shutesbury, MA

#18 Jul 16, 2008
I'm so sorry for the loss of this young life...I butied a child and it is the most horrific thing for a parent to do. My sympathies to the family and friends!
Joe Schmoe

Syracuse, NY

#19 Jul 16, 2008
It is a truly sad loss when this happens. No matter what nothing will bring this kid back. But cops don't "try and come up with something" to explain an accident. And its very difficult to flip a car without speeding. Accidents happen all too often. Its a shame it takes a tragedy for people to open their eyes about the dangers of speeding.
Learn Mistakes

Cumberland, RI

#20 Jul 16, 2008
ASHLAND -
Police say two 19-year-old drivers may have been racing each other on Eliot Street before a Monday night crash that left one teen dead and his friend facing criminal charges.
Police said John Curtin of 13 Meetinghouse Path was pronounced dead by a state medical examiner at the scene, where his 1995 Lexus LS400 flipped over and slammed into a utility pole.
The driver of the second car, Robert Supple of 5 Empire Circle, was charged with drunken driving, illegal racing and reckless driving. He also was cited for speeding and failure to stay in marked lanes. He pleaded not guilty Tuesday morning in Framingham District Court.
Police Chief Scott Rohmer said the pair were friends.
"It was just a tragic, tragic, awful night," Rohmer said. "Both families are in our thoughts and prayers here at the Police Department."
Both teens had been charged with underage possession of alcohol in the past. The crash happened just after 9 p.m. Monday. The drivers were headed west on Eliot Street toward the intersection with Prospect Street, police said.
"It appears that the two were passing each other on Eliot Street at a high rate of speed," Officer Robert MacQuarrie said.
Curtin may have been trying to pass Supple when he went up on the curb and lost control of his car, police said. The Lexus plowed into a utility pole on the opposite side of the road and came to rest in a yard at 93 Eliot St.
Curtin's car lay on its roof, bent in the shape of an upside-down letter "V," with the snapped utility pole hanging over the road and dangling wires into the street. Supple's blue 1999 Pontiac Grand Am sat on the other side of the road.

I saw the aftermath first hand, I've seen more than a couple of kids that I've grown up with die in similar tragic ways. THERE IS NO NEED for it. Don't repeat history, because only a fool does the same thing and expects a different outcome. The parents I'm sure are devastated, don't make it worse!

Since: Jun 08

United States

#21 Jul 16, 2008
Car racing is just flirting with death as in this case..I lost two school chums at the same age 19 yrs old back in 1954...John & Bruce were wiped out by a tree that did not move when they hit it while racing a car...Trees that do not move when hit causes instant death.
saramiller

AOL

#22 Jul 16, 2008
They werent racing!!!!!!!!!!
Mother Goose

Ashfield, MA

#23 Jul 16, 2008
saramiller wrote:
They werent racing!!!!!!!!!!
Keep believing in fairy tales!
saramiller

AOL

#24 Jul 16, 2008
jimbob wrote:
<quoted text>
What's up with kids now a days?
Kid's behavior isn't different now than it was 'back in the day'. Fact of the matter is media coverage has increased ten fold & the country as a whole has cracked down on drunken driving. Even just 15 years ago this little turd could've walked away with a slap on the wrist, now it's almost certain he will receive jail time.
In other words, drunken driving wasn't such a big deal many moons ago, citrus.
YOU HAVE GO TO BE KIDDING ME! you are such a cold hearted person. i dont know who you are, but you sure as hell dont know john or anyone that was involved. no one ever deservs to die. and he wasnt a little turd. he has a name, and its John. He was 19 years old, lived with his mom and sister. just got back from mexico with his dad. give the kid some respect. he made a mistake. im sure youve made yours...oh wait..you even bothering to leave a rude inconsiderate cold hearted message about someone you dont know is proof you have and obviously cant learn from them. everyone here in ashland lost someone they loved whether he was a friend, a brother, a son..i feel bad for you sir..you must not know anything about compassion or empathy. you must lead a very sad life. my heart goes out to you. just do everyone the favor and the next time you see sad news hit the sites, ignore and speak to yourself. no one wants to hear someone being completely arrogant and a VERY IMPROPER TIME. RIP JOHN CURTIN...WE LOVE AND MISS YOU, YOU TRUELY SAVED MY BROTHERS LIFE. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inspired evolution of Billerica's Whiffle Tree Jul '16 hammerhead 1
News July's Fatima Day at the Shrine in Holliston Jul '16 debbie 1
Massachusetts Adoptees and Birth parents Reunit... Jun '16 joan 1
Sydney bushard May '16 Hot girl 1
News Teens escape unharmed after limo catches fire o... May '16 Libby Rahl 2
News Hotel Guard Charged With Sex Assault On Child (Jun '06) May '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 2
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) May '16 FF wife 2

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages