'High-stakes' debate held in Ashland

'High-stakes' debate held in Ashland

There are 1 comment on the www.metrowestdailynews.com story from May 1, 2007, titled 'High-stakes' debate held in Ashland . In it, www.metrowestdailynews.com reports that:

Town officials squared off last night on whether a $2 million tax override offers voters a choice to improve struggling municipal services or is a mixture of needs and wants that could have been better ... via Metrowest Daily News

But Fabbri, one of four Finance Committee members who voted recently not to support the override, said the town should live within its means and run more efficiently. That could mean trimming management positions, asking employees to pay more of their health insurance, or curbing raises, he said. Fabbri said 10 percent to 25 percent of the tax increase would pay for items not immediately needed next year, yet town and school officials had made no commitment to reduce existing taxpayer burdens like bus fees. "That tells me if there's a dollar on the table, you'll take a dollar and 20," Fabbri said of the town.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.metrowestdailynews.com.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#1 May 1, 2007
We're not functioning as a whole town," Greaves said."

RESPONSE: That line can and should be turned around. Actually I think it is the School System that is not functioning as a whole town. It is all about the gimme gimme of the School system and not the whole town. That is quite obvious. The school system has become a parasite on the town. The only reason that public safety, ie police and fire, have gotten any face time by the School Committee and company is they haven't succeeded any other way and this is just a strategy. Scare the public about the loss of services, only really it is about the schools. That strategy started last fall, looking ahead, in groups such as the PTO and probably other organizations. It was down and dirty, what can we do to get what we want? If you look at the publications of the overide grassroots group it ALWAYS stresses the public safety and services first, listing school at or near the end. This isn't what they believe, it is their strategy to get what they want. The bulk of the people pushing the overide live in the $600K homes. They are also the ones putting more kids in the school system pushing the costs up. Costs that the taxes on THEIR homes do not come close to covering the expense they cost the town.

Items that appear unnecessary next year would help sustain the town's budget over the next three years without another override, Monaco said.

RESPONSE: If your practice is thinking it is okay to include things on this year's budget that won't be needed this budget but would sustain the budget over the next three years, I hope you get voted out if you run again. Study of past years proves the money only gets sucked up for other things and you will be right back at the till again for more money. That is asinine. There should be nothing on the budget that is not for the current upcoming fiscal year. This is just trying to put a fast one over on the public.

Even if we have no overide, there is already a tax increase looming as has been highlighted by other writers. There are 140-odd properties listed for said in this town. Last I looked, and I don't know if this is included in that 140, there were 40 in foreclosure for one reason or another. Of 1300-odd rentals, 300 odd are empty. And you think we need a tax increase and a tax overide?

Dream on.

Atty Fabbri is right on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greg W Murray Colehamer (May '10) Dec 2 AA RON 10
News Here's A List Of Historic Victories Democrats H... Nov '17 el rey de los cam... 9
News Police: Heroin sold out of van for special need... Nov '17 cathleen more 1
Review: Chinese Tui Na Massage (Dec '09) Nov '17 Youknoit617 3
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) Oct '17 Peaches 12
News Ted Nugent Suggests He's Ready For Armed Revolt... (Jan '13) Aug '17 Viking Power 32
Student freaks out over seeing Rebel flag Jun '17 Borderguard 1

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages