Worried, frustrated immigrants headed...

Worried, frustrated immigrants headed back home to Brazil

There are 91 comments on the Metrowest Daily News story from Jul 29, 2007, titled Worried, frustrated immigrants headed back home to Brazil. In it, Metrowest Daily News reports that:

“Now, we have more job offers than workers. We're seeing more people leaving than coming in.”

The 51-year-old Brazilian man came with plans to stay here for up to six years to save enough money to buy a house in Brazil, two cars for his daughters and secure a life back home. via Metrowest Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Metrowest Daily News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Martha

Worcester, MA

#1 Aug 3, 2007
Yes! We the janitorial services are already feeling the heat. no more workers from Brazil to clean houses. We are canceling new customers. No more people, and Americans don't want to do this type of work.

Adios America.
biker

Marlborough, MA

#2 Aug 3, 2007
Don't let the door hit you (or them) in the ass!
Candub

Arlington, MA

#3 Aug 5, 2007
This country would suffer a great loss without the immigrants, for many reasons.

As for the illegals, that's not their fault it's our stupid government not doing their job in managing things. Lately this country, wonderful as it is, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, can't find its way out of a paper bag, can't set priorities of what we SHOULD be doing, AREN'T protecting this country. Don't kid yourself, the monoey going to Iraq is to pad the pockets of those who are already well off.... oh, and they are also probably making money off illegal aliens, so why WOULD they want to clean up that part of the law/government.
Hang Kennedy

Salem, MA

#4 Aug 5, 2007
Get these F-ing criminals out!!!!!
Candub

Arlington, MA

#5 Aug 6, 2007
So take it out on your legislators who aren't doing their job, not the immigrants. They didn't make and don't enforce the laws.
biker

Marlborough, MA

#6 Aug 6, 2007
Candub wrote:
So take it out on your legislators who aren't doing their job, not the immigrants. They didn't make and don't enforce the laws.
So a store owner doesn't do his job and lock the door. Is it legal to go into the store? Illegal is illegal. Get the hell out and come back legally
Tom Lynch

Billerica, MA

#7 Aug 7, 2007
Hang Kennedy wrote:
Get these F-ing criminals out!!!!!
UNLESS YOU ARE AMERICAN INDIAN, GUESS WHAT YOUR FAMILY CAME FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY TOO. LETS SEND YOU BACK JACKASS!
biker

United States

#8 Aug 7, 2007
My ancestors came here legally. Apparently your the JACKASS!!
Dick Hurts

Franklin, MA

#9 Aug 8, 2007
the reason why people come in to the country illegally is because not jus brazilians but any other illegal immigrant, is because the american immigration do not give many of them permission to come into the country, rejecting their requests for a visa to get into the country

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#10 Aug 9, 2007
Tom Lynch wrote:
<quoted text>
UNLESS YOU ARE AMERICAN INDIAN, GUESS WHAT YOUR FAMILY CAME FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY TOO. LETS SEND YOU BACK JACKASS!
Astonishingly ignorant argument and I'll explain why so you don't embarass yourself with it anymore. Wave of people, throughout history, have migrated here and there for various reasons. It is generally accepted that the "American Indians" came from China and Russia across the Bering Straight, for example. The reason your argument is nonsense is that the USA is not just an area of dirt. It is a system of government. It is an economy. It is a set of laws. It is a group of people from diverse backgrounds who built and maintain it. The LEAST that illegal aliens are doing is treading on an area of dirt known as the USA. More importantly - and utterly ignored by your "argument" - is that they are disrespecting and trampling on the other things that define the USA: The legacy of those that built it, the economy, the laws. Unlike other waves of immigrants and legal immigrants, illegal aliens are not putting into the system, they are costing those that did it the right way by using healthcare, sending their kids to tax-payer funded public school, yet paying not taxes themselves. There are infrastructure needs in any community to support it's inhabitants, paid for by the tax payers, enjoyed for free by them. And the trouble makers amongst them (and I can point you to US GOVERNMENT statistics as to the incredible rate of criminal arrest in the illegal alien community) cost us more money because of increased public safety, police, and court needs.

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#11 Aug 9, 2007
biker wrote:
My ancestors came here legally. Apparently your the JACKASS!!
Mine too. Quarantined to make sure they didn't have TB. Grandparents also spoke FLAWLESS English, I want to point out, because they were here to JOIN the community, not get a free ride off of it.
Hang Kennedy

Salem, MA

#13 Aug 10, 2007
The Chinese got off the boat on one coast and the Irish on the other. They met in the middle with a railroad, with no foodstamps, no welfare, no WIC, no subsidized housing. And if they so much as stole a horse they were hung.

Now 1/3 of the FBI wanted list is Mexican Nationals because they don't bother jailing their criminals, they shoo them north.

This will end now. War is coming.

In Aug Bush is meeting with Calderon and the Canadian Prime minister to advance the SPP.

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/vide...

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#14 Aug 10, 2007
Hang Kennedy wrote:
they shoo them north
This impression does seem to be backed up by facts. That OFFICIAL US GOV WEBSITE where the following comes from I'll include at the bottom

<<Abstract

* Information on Certain Illegal Aliens Arrested in the United States, GAO-05-646R, May 9, 2005
PDFAccessible Text

The former Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that as of January 2000 the total unauthorized immigrant population residing in the United States was 7 million. This total includes those who entered the United States illegally and those who entered legally but overstayed their authorized period of stay. A more recent study estimated that there were about 10 million illegal aliens living in the United States as of March 2005. The study estimated that nearly 700,000 aliens entered the United States illegally or overstayed their authorized period of stay each year between 2000 and 2004. Some illegal aliens in the United States have been arrested and incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails, adding to already overcrowded prisons and jails. On April 7, 2005, we issued a report on criminal aliens that were incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails. Our report contained information on the number of criminal aliens incarcerated, their country of citizenship or country of birth, and the cost to incarcerate them. Congress also requested that we provide information on the criminal history of aliens incarcerated in federal and state prisons or local jails who had entered the country illegally. For a population of aliens that entered the country illegally and were incarcerated in federal or state prisons or local jails, this report addresses the following questions:(1) How many times have they been arrested?(2) How many and what type of criminal offenses have they been arrested for?(3) What states were they arrested in?

In our population study of 55,322 illegal aliens, we found that they were arrested at least a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien. Nearly all had more than 1 arrest. Thirty-eight percent (about 21,000) had between 2 and 5 arrests, 32 percent (about 18,000) had between 6 and 10 arrests, and 26 percent (about 15,000) had 11 or more arrests. Most of the arrests occurred after 1990. They were arrested for a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses, averaging about 13 offenses per illegal alien. One arrest incident may include multiple offenses, a fact that explains why there are nearly one and half times more offenses than arrests. Almost all of these illegal aliens were arrested for more than 1 offense. Slightly more than half of the 55,322 illegal aliens had between 2 and 10 offenses. About 45 percent of all offenses were drug or immigration offenses. About 15 percent were property-related offenses such as burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and property damage. About 12 percent were for violent offenses such as murder, robbery, assault, and sex-related crimes. The balance was for such other offenses as traffic violations, including driving under the influence; fraud--including forgery and counterfeiting; weapons violations; and obstruction of justice. Eighty percent of all arrests occurred in three states--California, Texas, and Arizona. Specifically, about 58 percent of all arrests occurred in California, 14 percent in Texas, and 8 percent in Arizona.>>

http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php...
livefree off me

Ayer, MA

#15 Aug 12, 2007
So why dont we all start cleaning our own houses. And as far as any illegals they should have to make it with what they came here with. I have no assistance and am trying to figure out how to pay for dental for my entire family, avoid doctors visits unless its SERIOUS because of the 20 dollar copay. While I see them there for FREE. Wheres the justice?
On top of it all the way these kids treat the others at school is almost gang like.
Im moving to Brazil to buy a mansion, how would they like us all moving there?

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#16 Aug 13, 2007
HOW can we have people collecting welfare, not working, yet have employers hiring illegals to "do the work Americans won't do" ?????

How about immediately cease all welfare payments to ANY and EVERY person who is physically capable of working. Give them the jobs first. If the don't work, they starve. Then, hire these brat High School kids to teach them the value of money. I scraped dishes and pumped gas and I believe I'm a better person for it.

The solution is so unbelieveably in front of our face simple that only someone utterly mentally messed up, like a liberal for example, would not be able to see it.
Marlborough Mom

Holbrook, MA

#17 Aug 14, 2007
I think one of the biggest problems is that kids today are so spoiled! Parents don't make them work and give them what ever they want. Very true if we put the high school kids to work and teach them the value of a dollar, then maybe they wouldn't have to hire the illegals.Kids today are so lazy and I blame the parents. I worked since I was 14, but today some of these kids are graduating and still don't have jobs...
Hate to say it but kids today have No respect!

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#19 Aug 14, 2007
Hang Kennedy wrote:
"Bloods For Life" scratched into my neighbor's car
Yep. I live in the Washington DC suburbs, MD side. The phenom down here is that all the suburbs are seeing double digit increases in crime and huge gang influxes. My town I live in, so I'm told, used to be barns and fields and woods. NOW it's Crips and Bloods and Loco this and MS-13 that. Black gangs from DC up here now and just this groundswell of MS-13. They've knifed kids for not getting off the local soccer field, etc. If you look at my town you think it looks nice with all it's landscaping and whatnot but you go to one of the "town centers" (fake downtowns built by developers) and you see little thugs walking around all over. There are people getting carjacked, having guns pointed in their face in broad daylight when they are walking, people getting killed, etc. etc. on and on.

At the same time, this is one of the most liberal and wealthy counties in the USA. I occasionally have contact with the movers and shakers in politics and they ACTUALLY think that bringing people up here and sprinkling them in Section 8 housing with good people and building "Day Laborer Centers" are progressive concepts which are for the betterment of the community. While at the very same time the average person on the street is shaking their head wondering what the hell happened to their nice town. It's INSANITY.

The cost of housing down here is on par or more expensive than Boston. Townhouses are $700K NO problem, for example, yet you have criminal thugs next door living rent free.

The point of my rant is that the subcivilized have always been around but when you get these do-gooder liberals (who themselves live in gated communities) mixing them in with honest hard working people, it's just a recipe for disaster. SOMEthing's gotta give. We have GOT to go back to the common sense of our fathers and grandfathers
Marlborough Mom

Holbrook, MA

#20 Aug 14, 2007
THERE VICTIMS OF SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE VICTIMS!
HUG YOURSELF!
Marlborough Mom

Holbrook, MA

#22 Aug 14, 2007
Thank GOD.
My apologies then!
Marlborough Mom

Holbrook, MA

#24 Aug 14, 2007
Hang Kennedy wrote:
I think I live near you. Do you have a small daughter?
No, why would you think you live near me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Caught on video: Brouhaha at Denny's in Leominster Apr 28 Kevin yo mommie i... 2
News Discover the HF Experience at Hamvention's Arrl... Apr 26 Not a Ham yet 1
News Seniors support housing proposal - Sentinel & E... (Dec '08) Apr 16 Stair 8
Mr.brandolini Mar '16 henry brandolini 1
News Framingham Schools Has A Plan To Give Wi-Fi Acc... Jan '16 morris 1
News Ellen DeGeneres Baffled That Caitlyn Jenner Onc... (Sep '15) Jan '16 TerryE 5
News Powerball Hits $1.5 Billion: Where to Get Ticke... Jan '16 Tim McNamara 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages