elephants trunk a scam

Posted in the Ashland Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
GOT SCAMMED

United States

#1 Jan 16, 2010
I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE NOT TO TAKE YOUR CLOTHES TO THE ELEPHANTS TRUNK UNLESS YOU WANTED TO FILL THE EMPLOYEES POCKETS WITH THE MONEY FROM YOUR CLOTHES. I WENT THERE TO CHECK ON MY BALANCE STILL $0 AFTER 5 MONTHS BUT OVER HALF OF MY CLOTHES WERE GONE! TOOK ALL MY CLOTHES I HAD LEFT BUT THE CRAZIEST THING, MY NUMBER WASN'T ON THE TAG OF MOST OF THESE ITEMS. IT JUST SO HAPPENS THE THE NUMBER ON THE TAG WAS THE EMPLOYEE SITTING BEHIND THE REGISTER! NO WONDER MY BALANCE WAS $0! SHE WAS GETTING ALL THE MONEY FROM MY CLOTHES! WARNING, IF YOU HAVE THINGS THERE GO CHECK THE TAGS!! I HEAR THEY HAVE A FEW MORE PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!
Momof2

New York, NY

#2 Jan 16, 2010
I've been doing business with them for years & have never had a problem, have always made good money on clothes I've taken there.
Sad

Wagoner, OK

#3 Jan 16, 2010
I have heard ALOT of bad things about them. I don't take my consignments theree due to the bad reputation nor do I shop there because of it.
Amazed

Ashland, KY

#4 Jan 16, 2010
Funny that you say that as I know the owner and her family personally. They have no employees other than the owner and her daughter! So not sure what you are talking about the employee since they have no employees! Makes "GOT SCAMMED" look like an idiot! I have taken stuff there since it has been open and the previous owner was a nice lady but I much rather like the dealings I have with Rhonda and Britney those are the only people that work there.
GOT SCAMMED

United States

#5 Jan 16, 2010
AFTER SPEAKING TO THE OWNER MYSELF I FOUND OUT THAT IS THEIR DAUGHTER. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY DO OTHER PEOPLE BUT MOST OF MY ITEMS HAD HER ACCOUNT NUMBER ON MY THINGS AND LIKE I SAID MOST OF MY THINGS WERE GONE BUT $0 IN MY ACCOUNT.WHERE DID MY MONEY GO! DON'T MAKE SINCE!!! BUT I WILL HAVE TO SAY THAT THE OWNER SAID IT WAS A MISTAKE,(wow) AND DID GIVE ME SOME OF MY MONEY!!I JUST HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM BUT SO HAS PEOPLE FROM KDMC!!!
know how you feel

Ashland, KY

#6 Jan 16, 2010
I know exactly how you feel. I have never shopped at the Elephant's trunk but The Second Hand Rose Furniture Store has done me the same way. I take my items in they dissapear and I have zero in my account but my merchandise is gone.I think it is sad that you can not trust a second hand store to be honest about their dealings. Good luck with matter.
Just me

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 16, 2010
I've had that happen at Second Hand Rose. Seems all my clothes were gone but I didn't have but a few dollars in my account. I don't think they tagged one section of my clothes that they stuck on another rack. Beware of them also!
Kim

Yazoo City, MS

#8 Jan 16, 2010
If this is happening to you I would report them to the better business Bureau. Or better yet call them back and tell them your going to call the local television station and have them do a story on how these places are doing business and then ell your side of the story and get others to do so too
Ashland

Richmond, KY

#9 Jan 16, 2010
I have two friends who had the same thing happen at the Elephants Trunk. No money, but all the items gone, even a baby crib!! A baby crib is too big to just get lost in the shuffle.
Just Wondering

Anderson, SC

#10 Jan 16, 2010
Wow, I have really been giving alot of thought to opening a upscale consignment store. These people can give a business a really bad rap before they even start. I want something really nice and well put together. Looking for good location with alot of space.
teabagged your mother

Ashland, KY

#11 Jan 16, 2010
goto goodwill.. it is a tax write off and they do not give you any money... so you dont have to worry about it! do stop being lazy and have a yard sale!! lol people are such idiots....
lazy in ashland

Wagoner, OK

#12 Jan 16, 2010
teabagged your mother wrote:
goto goodwill.. it is a tax write off and they do not give you any money... so you dont have to worry about it! do stop being lazy and have a yard sale!! lol people are such idiots....
Yeah, people are such idiots. I'm sure that since you apparently are not one of them (LOL) that you already know a tax write off is only good for those who itemize. It is no good for those who take a standard deduction. I also donate to charities but some of my "nicer" items that I have spend more money on I don't want to just give away. Not everyone has time to have a yard sale. Some people work a full time job and have kids. Have you ever had a yard sale yourself? If you have then you know just how much work goes into it. I guess it would be more feasable for those who are not "lazy" and don't have a job outside the home. If there was an honest consignment shop, it would help out the local economy as well. It's so sad that there are so many dishonest small businesses out there. Next time, maybe GOT SCAMMED might want to try Ebay.
yep

Ashland, KY

#13 Jan 16, 2010
You know there are a lot of shoplifters in this area......sounds like a few to many complaints though. Probably something going on there.
Diane

Flatwoods, KY

#14 Jan 16, 2010
Was there a signed contract, did it have a hold-harmless if items were shoplifted. Very sloppy business practices described in these posts. If I had taken items to a consignment shop I would expect and get either money or items back at the end of the day.
Stacey

Ashland, KY

#15 Jan 16, 2010
The Elephant's Trunk used to be a wonderful store! The previous owners were friendly, considerate and kind. The lady and her daughter that have had it the last several years are snobby, short tempered and do not run a very good business. I had traded at the Elephant's Trunk for years and always made good money and could walk in and find my clothes on the the rack, with my number on the ticket. The first fall that I took in clothes after the shop was sold, I called and I had not money on my account a week later. I found that to be odd, but I thought maybe the clothes just hadn't found the right person! I called a week or so later and there still wasn't any money on the account. I ended up going in and most of my clothing had the wrong number on it. I mentioned it to the girl behind the desk and she said I would have to speak to the owner. I called later that day to be told that these things happen all the time, I have to be able to prove which clothes were mine and she hung up. This was the owner! I called back and she proceeded to tell me that if I called back and brought this situation up again she would call the police and get a restraining order againist me. She proceeded to say that her husband was a "big funeral" director and he had connections. I have never been back in the store and I never will. She is a horrible person and a terrible business woman. Do NOT support the Elephant's Trunk.
daddy

Ashland, KY

#16 Jan 16, 2010
Seems that Ashland is full of nasty people these days!!!!
Previous Shopper

Flatwoods, KY

#17 Jan 17, 2010
I have not ever brout items into the Elephant's Trunk to sell before, but I have been there to visit. The previous owner was so nice. I don't like the new ones. They are very rude and unfriendly. If you ask a question, they act like you are bothering them. I do not go in there anymore because of the rudeness there.
Frequent Shopper

United States

#18 Jan 17, 2010
I have always had a plesant experience at the Elephants Trunk. I live in South Point and have always found the staff nice and friendly. I've bought several nice items there and was refered to the store by a friend who sells there. I would highly recommend the place to new mothers.. In this economy good products, Great prices and friendly shop.
daddy

Ashland, KY

#19 Jan 17, 2010
ok that last one was someone posting for the owners ...or maybe its YOU!!!HEHEH
INTERESTING

Ashland, KY

#20 Jan 17, 2010
I have had a similar experience too. I took a bunch of name brand clothes there, example: Ralph Laren polo, tommy hilfiger, childrens place, ect. I waited a couple of weeks and called to get my balance, which was 0. So, a few days later I went in and looked around and didn't see any of the clothes that I had brought in. I asked the woman at the counter and she checked and the clothes I brought in were crammed in the back room and hadn't been put out on the sales floor. I made the comment that the clothes can't sell if they aren't out for the customers to see and she said that she would try to get them out in the next day or 2. I checked back a few days later and I located some of the clothes. I never received more than 10.00 for all that stuff. I took the time to clean and iron all these clothes and time to make trips to the store. It just wasn't worth the time or the trouble for me. I have since been using 2nd hand rose and have had pretty good results with them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Randy Riggs is a punk 4 min CyDigi 33
Trump played them like a fiddle 8 min CyDigi 12
Help find a cure for racism 47 min hang him 43
Looking for anything im despert 1 hr Franklin 2
Donny Prater 1 hr Tripod 33
girl at ymca 1 hr Float 15
cathy kendricks 1 hr Jack Weed 14
BCDC Inmate wearing deputy jailer uniform picture 1 hr Ashland Girl 33

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web