Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

It seems to me this has been coming for quite some time now. Historically, if you review the company's financials (public information) there are too many signs of a downward spiral. The most obvious to the casual observer is the massive capital spending that's continued despite the overwhelming decreasing revenues. Yes, they might generate nearly $95 million, but, look at the sources and it's not all cut and dried. Increased dependance on government services like Medicaid and Medicare (decreasing reimbursements), self-pay (generally slow payers, at best), and an increasing allowance for write-offs have indicated they needed to tighten the purse strings long ago. I'm not here to place blame or point fingers, but, couldn't someone have seen the trend and spent a little more time and effort on cost saving measures that didn't affect patient services? I would prefer to see a smiling face when I come in from an ambulance instead of construction cranes outside and few employee's inside where they're needed most. Capital spending continued freely and still is in spite of decreased margins and poor economic forecasts. It doesn't take long for any financial observer to see the red flags. If what I'm reading is true someone (has to be more than one) has chosen to spend the company's money painting a rosey picture on the outside to hide the unfortunate gloom on the inside. If they truly wanted to protect the best intersts of the patient, or even the employees, then there would be more of a concerted effort to ensure the longevity of the company. I find it ironic that all of this is happening so close to the end of the 2nd quarter as well. It might sugar coat the financials, but, the negative PR will be far more costly. You can argue that capital spending is already approved, but, those of us who understand corporate financials know that there often comes a time when you have to cutoff spending in spite of future gains in response to the current situation. None of what I have mentioned has happened overnight and neither will the recovery. In his defense Fred Jackson is a well paid "spokesperson" for KDMC. He must rely on a team of so called experts to assist in the decisions that are made and presented to the board. I'm not saying he shouldn't have had the foresight to see some of this himself, but, it takes more than one individual to run a company as large as KDMC. Maybe this will open some eyes, maybe not. I'm sure some of you will kindly take the time to point grammatical errors or maybe even argue one of my points. Have at it, the numbers don't lie and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface or tell what I know so be prepared to back it up. To those of you who are facing layoffs, it's not the end of the world and I hope each of you can find alternative employment and find this situation brings you much happiness in the long run.
educate yourself

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

mom wrote:
Coventry cares is medicaid for all the lazy asses that won't work that we pay for!!! Heard four docs and four anesthetist were let go yesterday! Nurse managers are being put back on the floor as floor nurses! Secretaries were let go yesterday. This is so sad a d heart breaking in every aspect, please pray for everyone involved!!
But look what happens when Coventry Cares pulls out - most of KDMC's patients are medicaid, so of course jobs will be lost. People with decent insurance and money go elsewhere so they can get proper care. KDMC pays more for the staff non related to patient care (lazy desk administrative peeps who sit on their butts) than they do on the staff that takes care of patients
JustMe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

They've not hired in two weeks, actually. Still, they should have cut back long ago. Today, one of the layoffs was a young woman with cancer. And of course, according to the emails, this is all Obama's fault. I kept my job, but I'm looking elsewhere. I love my patients, but I have absolutely zero respect for this place. Fred, I don't know how you look at yourself in the mirror. Your big ego has put hundreds of people out of work.
Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

mom wrote:
Coventry cares is medicaid for all the lazy asses that won't work that we pay for!!! Heard four docs and four anesthetist were let go yesterday! Nurse managers are being put back on the floor as floor nurses! Secretaries were let go yesterday. This is so sad a d heart breaking in every aspect, please pray for everyone involved!!
Hope you don't lose your job and need the assistant of Coventry when one of your children gets injured.
Jane

Flatwoods, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

So sad. This is horrible.
Itislikethis

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

jckson wrote:
Up to 400 people will be laid off. People will not have their hours shortened, or be kept on as part-time employees. They will be let go or they won't. No in between.
Is Fred Jackson "to blame"? Yes. He is the head of the hospital and thinks of it as a company. He takes the personal factor out of the decisions so that the hospital may remain profitable and able to run.
Strictly business, nothing personal.
That is why some people have negative feeling towards him, they've taken it personal. And that's understandable, how could you not take having a friend or yourself being laid off personally?
People have negative feelings towards him bc he makes millions of dollars and VPs make all this money and instead of cutting their extravagant salaries they cause the "company"(people ..patients and employees) to suffer. I've been at the mercy of KDMC cutbacks as a patient there....FILTHY!! Left in the room for hours waiting on the nurse to get a chance to get back to you... yet every morningt they pay a welcoming committee to come in an stare at you while the nurse is to tell what her plan is for you that day!??! Really!??! If he wants a "company" streamline the FAT not the ones that are needed, and if necessary, use the millions he is overpaid to do so!!
Dude

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

cmt wrote:
What is an extern
A extern is a nursing student that works as a nursing assistant.
Itislikethis

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

educate yourself wrote:
<quoted text>But look what happens when Coventry Cares pulls out - most of KDMC's patients are medicaid, so of course jobs will be lost. People with decent insurance and money go elsewhere so they can get proper care. KDMC pays more for the staff non related to patient care (lazy desk administrative peeps who sit on their butts) than they do on the staff that takes care of patients
You still have Wellcare and Ky Spirit for that.. KDMC layoffs have nothing to do with Coventry.. they just didn't have their ducks in a row!
wondering

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

isittrue wrote:
Are any of the physician recruiters being laid off?
How many physician recruiters do they have?
Aaron

Flatwoods, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Are any of the clinic workers being laid off??
Well

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

400-600 laid off beginning this morning. If Freddy boy would quit trying to take over every available lot & spot in Ashland & take care of the patients this wouldn't b happening. I understand that they don't get paid a lot through Medicaid (thank God I have private insurance) but something is better than nothing. If u spend more than u make this is what happens. Ahhh! Gotta love America.
Mommas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

I heard Vallet was gone all of them
Aaron

Flatwoods, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

I heard the same thing about valet.
Wondering

Greenup, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

What about the janitorial jobs?
Outside Looking In

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Ted

Jeffersonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

You hafta love how they cover up legal issues with comments like "low patient population" I look for fred to disappear anytime now.
JustMe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Don't get our hopes up Ted. We couldn't be so lucky
WTG KDMC

Elk Horn, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

Just gonna throw this out there. I think it is about time that KDMC got rid of a bunch of free-loading douche canoes. If this is what it takes to keep the lights on, then I'm all for this. Why should Fred have to take a pay cut when there are hundreds of overpaid people below him that can go? Maybe his bonus this year will be bigger because of this, and he won't think about leaving for a while longer. I don't see why you people don't like him, he is obviously the best thing that has happened in the history of KDMC.

This just shows KDMC's commitment to exceptional patient care. If these people didn't get laid off, then the hospital would obviously have to close, so this is just the best way to keep the doors open for all those sick people out there who need care.
J

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

WTG KDMC wrote:
Just gonna throw this out there. I think it is about time that KDMC got rid of a bunch of free-loading douche canoes. If this is what it takes to keep the lights on, then I'm all for this. Why should Fred have to take a pay cut when there are hundreds of overpaid people below him that can go? Maybe his bonus this year will be bigger because of this, and he won't think about leaving for a while longer. I don't see why you people don't like him, he is obviously the best thing that has happened in the history of KDMC.

This just shows KDMC's commitment to exceptional patient care. If these people didn't get laid off, then the hospital would obviously have to close, so this is just the best way to keep the doors open for all those sick people out there who need care.
But to get rid of people when they were already spread so thin is going to do nothing but HURT patient care. There had to be another way to fix Fred and all the other VPs screw ups to get the place in the situation with Medicare and Medicaid instead of eliminate hundreds of people's way to feed their families.
Bern

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

This is just so sad and shocking. My heart goes out to the displaced workers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Ashland Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Republicans Are S... 149,920
Tina hall 5 min wondering 5
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min Mike Duquette 130,248
NSA Sex (Nov '10) 15 min ironhawk 20
Need aarf animal shelter number someone help pl... 22 min D-boy 4
Kdmc plans to lay off again 29 min Who knows 45
U. S. Contstitution 29 min Blinded 108
fairview 1 hr banana split 82

Search the Ashland Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Ashland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000