First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 10

Ironton, OH

#1 Jul 13, 2010
Anyone on here think that the homeless people living in Central Park situation is getting out of hand? I don't even like visiting there anymore.
caresforthehomel ess

Baxter, KY

#2 Jul 13, 2010
If you think that it's getting out of hand then do something for them! Not ALL of them are pill heads or whores! Some people's luck just isn't as good as others. It doesn't mean that you should judge them. Maybe you should refer them to a homeless shelter or maybe offer to buy them some food. Just think it could be you some day. Never say NEVER!!!

Ironton, OH

#3 Jul 13, 2010
Hey, no one said anything about them being pillheads, or whores. Look who's talking now. And as for judging, I'm not. Who's doing the name calling here? All I'm saying is that there are a lot of homeless people in Central Park. Stop jumping to conclusions, and get a life.
caresforthehomel ess

Baxter, KY

#4 Jul 14, 2010
umm thank you but I do have a life & I wasn't name calling anyone! I work with many homeless people daily! Actually my agency runs a homeless shelter. So now why don't you try doing something productive like trying to help them!!!!!

Ironton, OH

#5 Jul 14, 2010
There has been numerous times in my life when I have went out of my way to give money, food, and provide shelter to the homeless. I'm saying, though,
why has there been an increase of homeless people in Central Park/ when there are so many Agency's out there to assist them, and get them back on their feet. Do the homeless not want this help, or are they just not aware of it?
just dont know

Richmond, KY

#6 Jul 14, 2010
They may not know where they can turn too. I know if it was me i would not know what to do, or where to turn. Right now there are a lot of people one pay check away from being there them selfs.
try to help

Chesapeake, OH

#7 Jul 14, 2010
just dont know wrote:
They may not know where they can turn too. I know if it was me i would not know what to do, or where to turn. Right now there are a lot of people one pay check away from being there them selfs.
yes it's very sad to see ppl like that u know half of them was just like u and me at one time the way things are now it's hard for so many i know we have had it hard before and we have had to ask for help before.and we always try to give back as much as we can,telling our kids to do the same and they have u never know when that could be u or someone u know that really brakes my heart it's sad so when we see them we try to give them a little money or some food.my whole life my mom and dad always took ppl in and helped them even when we did'nt have much our selfs and i'am glad my husband and i do help as much as we can.no one wants to be homeless sometimes it just happens that way things can't always be helped.it's so sad to know there is kids because useally the parents will hide the kids to keep them with them or have another street family take care of them while they try to find work or ask for help in some way.just remember to all those ppl that are upset about it u are sitting at home in the cool air or warm heat while they are not.you can lay down at night and not have to worry about someone takeing what little things you have or someone trying to hurt u or your loved ones.you can lock your door and keep out the bad they can not.sometimes i think certain ppl should have to go and see how it really is the little things you take for granted everyday i think certain ppl should try to live that way and see how they would feel i bet it would change the way you think real fast.they are ppl to and have the same needs we have the different is they are homeless and can't but would love to. i'am sure they would love to be sitting where u are now in a house or at work or stopping by the park just to eat while sitting in your car jugdeing them for being homeless we are here to help why don't you try that sometimes..have a great day..
caresforthehomel ess

Baxter, KY

#8 Jul 14, 2010
It is really sad, actually! To be honest, I had no idea that my county even had a homeless shelter until I started working for the agency I am at now. If I were in their shoes I wouldn't know what to do either. Alot of counties in KY do not have places for people to turn to. I agree with "try to help" 100%, there needs to be more opitions for people to have instead of being homeless. Many people don't realize what luxeries are until there isn't any left. Is there a Homeless Shelter in your area or close by in another county? Now, there are some folks who just don't want the help, I know from first hand experience, but then there are others who just don't know that there are people out there who help with these things daily!
Just Me

Butler, PA

#9 Jul 15, 2010
Would someone get what info they know out to these people? I would not know what to do if and when I were to be without everything...and frankly...I am just about there myself. Maybe get it typed and printed and handout something...surely of 10 people homeless there are probably at least 50% of them looking and not knowing what is out there in the form of help. I do know that the salvation army has a shelter...you can go there and the limit is 30 days...you have to leave the place by 7 or 8 am and not return till about 4 or 5pm...and they do feed people breakfast and dinner. My son was there for a few days and got work by walking all over Ashland till he found someone willing to hire him...thank God. Jobs are so hard to find and then there is transportation issues but if you try things will somehow work out eventually....just keep tryng.
iminfla

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Jul 18, 2010
Are tax dollars go to foreigners! Buy them hotels and gas stations. We need to help are own!!!!!!!!!!
homelessinfo

Butler, PA

#11 Jul 18, 2010
There ISN'T so much help out there for the homeless. I myself have tried to help various people that have become homeless through no fault of their own. In Ashland, there is the Shelter of Hope but they have a HUGE waiting list, especially if you are a single male. This facility is mostly intended for families.
Homeless people can always go to the Salavation Army but they must leave there at 6-7 am. Maybe the people you are seeing in the park are actually staying the night at the Salvation Army and have no where to go during the day?? Some of the people that are let out during the day to look for jobs are mentally ill or have no job skills. With that said, very skilled people are now competing for the simplest of jobs in this tough economy.
I'm sure it is not a matter of most of them not "wanting" help.
Noxious

Ashland, KY

#12 Jul 18, 2010
Many of the homeless people do not want a home. A home means they have to clean and take care of the home. Some of them can't cope with that responsibility. I know one (now) homeless guy that only stayed in his apartment on very cold days. He ended up burning the apartment by building a fire in the room. He could have killed everyone there. It is a very sad thing.
want to know

Louisa, KY

#13 Jul 18, 2010
what happened to hud housing and no or low income housing why aren't they helping these people...i have been to ashland, u see a lot of empty houses and buildings. why can't they let these people have them... by helping them by giving them a house that could give them the will to try to help their selves and get back on their feet...do you know that if you do not have a place to live that you do not qualify for government programs...so why don't you quit talking and help these people.
helper of women

United States

#14 May 22, 2011
any homeless skinny ladies want a man to take care of them? Hmu... I live in hunting.
well

Ashland, KY

#15 May 22, 2011
how bout a homeless fat woman?
Poor Them

United States

#16 May 22, 2011
I have an idea, let's continue to keep "helping" the homeless and the others by giving them everything. Most of them get government assistance, which means our tax dollars. Not to mention all of the local shelters, Shelter Of Hope, Salvation Army, CARES and churches help them. Here's a concept, get a job or two like several people I know. Don't tell me there are no jobs in the Tri-State area when I see several "Help Wanted" signs on a daily basis! Are they holding out for management or over qualified? Nobody owes them anything! I work hard for what I have and if I was to become homeless, I can assure you I would work twice as hard to provide for my family. If the rest of this country would work and live within their means it wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.
sherm

United States

#17 May 22, 2011
Poor Them wrote:
I have an idea, let's continue to keep "helping" the homeless and the others by giving them everything. Most of them get government assistance, which means our tax dollars. Not to mention all of the local shelters, Shelter Of Hope, Salvation Army, CARES and churches help them. Here's a concept, get a job or two like several people I know. Don't tell me there are no jobs in the Tri-State area when I see several "Help Wanted" signs on a daily basis! Are they holding out for management or over qualified? Nobody owes them anything! I work hard for what I have and if I was to become homeless, I can assure you I would work twice as hard to provide for my family. If the rest of this country would work and live within their means it wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.
ahh yes, the extravagant homeless lifestyle.

Since: Apr 11

Georgetown, KY

#18 May 22, 2011
I've never even seen a homeless person at the park, at least by the fish pond where I usually sit or walk.
Poor Them

United States

#19 May 22, 2011
Sherm,

I'm not saying it's a great life, but make things better and use a hand up not a hand out.
Cookie

United States

#20 May 22, 2011
A lot of cities (and I mean actual cities) have shelters that are full so they have been handing out tents and directing them to 'tent village.' Not the ideal setup for a family with children but an interesting solution. I always give homeless people whatever I have to spare regardless of their personal situations because I believe PEOPLE SHOULD HELP PEOPLE. Ashland is seeing the effects of our horrible economy. I left there because I could not find work. Jobs are leaving that area daily and not everyone is fortunate enough to have options. Next time you see a homeless person ask yourself 'would I want someone to help me?'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Ashland Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Injuns in Ashland 31 min wildcat 16
The Independent 1 hr No News Is 4
this shit in missouri is totally retarded 1 hr Pseudonym 25
Anyone know a Cassidy? 1 hr losers 3
Kevin Daniels RIP 3 hr Morgan 2
Barbara "LeeAnn" Bradley Adkins 6 hr well 3
Cute guy in the woods 6 hr hmmm 13
Ashland Dating
Find my Match