Best Home Builders
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hubs

Newburgh, IN

#1 Jan 24, 2011
About to start working on building a new home. Any suggestions on who are some of the best builders in the area or who to avoid?

Thanks
Concerned

Chesapeake, OH

#2 Jan 24, 2011
Don't use Chris Adkins!
Wildtuckian

Wagoner, OK

#3 Jan 24, 2011
I have been in the business all my life.seems most all the good 1s are deceased or retired now.but i bet the list to avoid will be a long 1.the best contractor ever. told me years ago to call the material houses and find out who pays there bills.thats a start.just remember with all the time put in to picking out the house getting the loan and going to pay for it over 20 years.take your time and do ya home work on picking the contractor.I have built homes.but getting a honest hard working crew is not easy.so now I just pour concrete.just remember no 1 has all the best guys independent contractors that do 1 thing are ya best bet,hope this helps.and buddy up to ya local building inspector they usually know who is honest.but check the inspector also.haha.good luck.
Concerned

Chesapeake, OH

#4 Jan 24, 2011
Yes the above is correct. Chester Tackett was a great contractor but passed away. And several others too. Good electrician is steve potter n flatwoods
Concerned

Chesapeake, OH

#5 Jan 24, 2011
Also if u c a house u like the looks of, go knock on door & asked who built that house
taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#6 Jan 24, 2011
Where are you going to build?
Alexander Hamilton

United States

#7 Jan 24, 2011
I used Jim Conley on a renovation. He did a good job at a fair price I has happy.
ditto

Houston, TX

#8 Jan 26, 2011
John Coleman is easy to work with. Also look up mark vonderheide at HBR. That j c brown guy seems to do the upper end. Is call a vol of realty companies. Good luck
WTP

Chesapeake, OH

#9 Jan 26, 2011
Wildtuckian wrote:
I have been in the business all my life.seems most all the good 1s are deceased or retired now.but i bet the list to avoid will be a long 1.the best contractor ever. told me years ago to call the material houses and find out who pays there bills.thats a start.just remember with all the time put in to picking out the house getting the loan and going to pay for it over 20 years.take your time and do ya home work on picking the contractor.I have built homes.but getting a honest hard working crew is not easy.so now I just pour concrete.just remember no 1 has all the best guys independent contractors that do 1 thing are ya best bet,hope this helps.and buddy up to ya local building inspector they usually know who is honest.but check the inspector also.haha.good luck.
who was the best contractor??? I heard that same speech before 2 a long time ago
Home owner

Port Deposit, MD

#10 Jan 26, 2011
The Crites boys built my house and they did excellent. There are bunch of boys in the family that build. Look them up in the phone book.
Wildtuckian

Ashland, KY

#11 Jan 27, 2011
The best contractor ever was Roger Jones.Then J.C. Brown.I say they were the best because they were honest and smart.they used the best sub contractors in the area.because as I stated in the first post.the guys with the do it all crews. do substandard work.when you hire some 1 on price alone you get what you pay for.
Concerned

Chesapeake, OH

#12 Jan 27, 2011
Yes Crites are great. The whole family is wonderful- Bobby was the carpenter on my house many years ago, I think he is retired, but the other family members are just as good.
Yes JC Brown is upper cost level but definitely great.
insane

Huntington, WV

#13 Jan 27, 2011
depends which crites your talking about.. Watch out for Frank
Anon

Ashland, KY

#14 Jan 27, 2011
The Benge brothers are extremely good! They are currently finishing a house in Coal Grove and another on 503 in Flatwoods. Both homes are gorgeous! They have excellent references and both work their butts off and are extreme perfectionists. The youngest Benge is in the phone book, call and at least check them out.
raNdom

Tomball, TX

#15 Jan 27, 2011
Bob and Steve Crites Builders. They are the best in the business! They build beautiful and excellent homes. Don't go to anyone else!!!
homeowner in ashland

Chesapeake, OH

#16 Jan 27, 2011
Bob and Steve Crites are the ones who built for Roger Jones. They built for him till he passed away. They built all of Cedar knoll and the last place was off skyline that is when roger passed. Contact his wife Betty Jones at Boyd county High School she can give references .They also built for J.C. Brown. They build for Bill Stapleton he's located in Flatwoods. Kenny Roe he's in Ohio around Wheelersburg. Bill Hilliard from Bear creek. So many to mention. BTW Bob is not retired. There number is in the phone book. You won't be disappointed. The best in Ashland and has been for 50 plus years.Call them...Good honest men.
steves daughter

Tomball, TX

#17 Jan 27, 2011
homeowner in ashland wrote:
Bob and Steve Crites are the ones who built for Roger Jones. They built for him till he passed away. They built all of Cedar knoll and the last place was off skyline that is when roger passed. Contact his wife Betty Jones at Boyd county High School she can give references .They also built for J.C. Brown. They build for Bill Stapleton he's located in Flatwoods. Kenny Roe he's in Ohio around Wheelersburg. Bill Hilliard from Bear creek. So many to mention. BTW Bob is not retired. There number is in the phone book. You won't be disappointed. The best in Ashland and has been for 50 plus years.Call them...Good honest men.
Thank you for putting in a good word for my father and uncles.
I'm sure they would be delighted to take on any job some one has to offer.
Again- thank you so much!
Hubs

Newburgh, IN

#18 Jan 28, 2011
Will be building between Ashland and Flatwoods. Thanks for all the leads and keep them coming.
steves daughter

Tomball, TX

#19 Jan 28, 2011
Hubs wrote:
Will be building between Ashland and Flatwoods. Thanks for all the leads and keep them coming.
You can email Steve at [email protected]
You can get further information from there if you decide to hire him for the job.
A man who knows

Idalou, TX

#20 Jan 30, 2011
stop by appalachian home center in ashland on greenup avenue and ask for Rob, he is a top carpenter and a great builder, you can get his number from Doug at Patton lumber as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 min Strel 157,999
Jenny "SPRADLIN" Miller 7 min Spelling bee 6
News Column: David Edwards, another lottery loser (Aug '07) 23 min Peterbilt Driver 1,104
Ambassador 33 min Hungry 38
Justin justice 40 min Rocco 7
kristen Gambill has everyone fooled 1 hr Informed 4
Any local places hiring a good dependable worke... 1 hr Jay 1

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages