Ramey Estep becoming a serious JOKE!

Posted in the Ashland Forum

Tired Former Staff

Chesapeake, OH

#1 Aug 28, 2012
The place is a laughing stock...or the Director is anyway. Nothing professional about it anymore. The people in the admin building don't have a clue b/c they have a special set of rules. Especially if your a favorite of the director, like the staff that is never there but gets big bucks b/c when she is she's dressed like trash. Don't understand how CCW are expected to dress presentable when we go to court with kids but a staff in reception can look like she just rolled out of bed. Every time I would walk into admin most are laughing loudly up and down the hall like idiots. People used to be serious about their jobs, not any more. I feel bad for those that haven't been able to get out the deadend yet. GET AWAY NOW!
Jamison

Ashland, KY

#2 Aug 28, 2012
You seriously sound like someone that has been fired or at least disciplined recently. I may just know who you are.
GetSerious

Ashland, KY

#3 Aug 30, 2012
Hubby worked there for yrs. before Cook took over & it was a great place to work.She left when the home discovered her degree was fake & bought online.Yrs. ago they hired not only by the director's opinion but by the opinions of those they would be working with as well. So it was more like friends working towards the same goals. When Cook took over she fired a couple of the team leaders and put her friends in their place. Between her & them over 6 associates were fired including a pastor & a team leader that had been there over 12 yrs.

Hubby left but kept in contact with a few of the ones that stayed for over a yr. It was becoming one big joke & donations fell enormously. Whether it became better in the last 10 yrs. I have no idea. But if everything has continued or gone back downhill it doesn't surprise me. Way too many narcissistic egos running the place that are only interested in the money and could not care less about the kids.
sad

Russell, KY

#4 Aug 31, 2012
it was a wonderful place at one time :(
daniel

United States

#5 Oct 20, 2012
You guys are staff there? Lolol I was there a couple of yrs ago for 14months it was hell but when I was leaving it seemed like they were starting to go soft on kids which the extreme disciplin was good in my opinion helped me out. Anyways its funny to see this was just bored and was like huh Hahaha
Melissa

United States

#6 Dec 10, 2012
What do u mean by 'extreme discipline'? What methods do they use? My son is getting ready to be transported there, not by my choice, and i am scared to death. Please reply.

“I Want To Get High”

Since: Dec 12

But I Don't Want Brain Damage

#7 Dec 10, 2012
I bet they make them go to bed with straight jackets on.
Melissa wrote:
What do u mean by 'extreme discipline'? What methods do they use? My son is getting ready to be transported there, not by my choice, and i am scared to death. Please reply.
Hater

Ashland, KY

#9 Dec 10, 2012
Melissa wrote:
By extreme, he means they make you go to church or lose your tv privileges and make you read the Bible or make you be humiliated in front of everyone. As long as your kid isn't an Atheist scumbag, he'll be fine.
If he was an Atheist, he won't be when he comes back!
Notruth

Russell, KY

#10 Dec 10, 2012
Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
By extreme, he means they make you go to church or lose your tv privileges and make you read the Bible or make you be humiliated in front of everyone. As long as your kid isn't an Atheist scumbag, he'll be fine.
If he was an Atheist, he won't be when he comes back!
There is no truth to that statement at all! A family member of mine was recently released from there and when I would go to visit, if you talked about God or the bible, he would say "shhhh, we are not allowed to talk about that or we could offend others" So beating a bible is NOT thier priority. They offer it, but do not force it! This is total nonsense! Do you know nothing about American rights today? They would have so many lawsuits against them if they forced that, they wouldnt be open. So you may want to know the "real truth" before spewing nosense!
Hater

United States

#11 Dec 10, 2012
Notruth wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no truth to that statement at all! A family member of mine was recently released from there and when I would go to visit, if you talked about God or the bible, he would say "shhhh, we are not allowed to talk about that or we could offend others" So beating a bible is NOT thier priority. They offer it, but do not force it! This is total nonsense! Do you know nothing about American rights today? They would have so many lawsuits against them if they forced that, they wouldnt be open. So you may want to know the "real truth" before spewing nosense!
You are a liar or misinformed. Try talking to someone who has been there.
Just wondering!

Ashland, KY

#12 Dec 12, 2012
They don't teach you the bible. They make you go to school, that's why all of you are mad. You wouldn't go to school on the outside, so your parent have to send you off to get an education. Ramey home actually helped me realize how important it is to go to school, because I don't want to be away from my family again. Not once did I hear anyone trying to teach the bible. It isn't prison. It's a center for juvenile offenders an might as well be called a day camp. You're not hard because you go there. Some of the staff may suck, but they are mostly trying to help you grow.
shayla thomas

Covington, KY

#13 Nov 13, 2013
I went to ramey estep, so for everyone that is tryin to downgrade it may need to go there an get some help their self I kno me an my brother both went there an its helped us a lot, if it wasn't for 1st cottage and 5th cottage me an my brother would not be alive or in the streets now. so maybe yu all want to rethink what yur sayin because they help a lot of people.... I loved ramey, it might not of been fun all the time but yea there is free time an time to change yur habits so yu can have a life...... RAMEY E-STEP ROCKS!!!!!
Former resident

United States

#14 Apr 11, 2014
You wake up at an unannounced time, eat breakfast then work doing slave labor like moving piles of bricks 20 ft. Over half of the day then moving them back in the exact same spot the second half. Smashing rocks with sledge hammers all day long. Picking weeds from the garden so the place looks nice when visitors come they make you ware entirely different clothes when visitors are around. They degrade the kids tell them they are nothing, a menace to society. One week I got sick and had a tempature of 104.9 but was still forced to "work". They say there is counseling and treatment there but I don't recall any of that. You are set in groups of 3 and you cannot move more than 10 feet without your pair. Even in the showers and bathrooms your pair follows. You are forced to scream at other peers when they don't abide by bogus rules. They have couches in the cottages but you are only along to sit on the floor unless visitors are there. You don't know what time day or date it is not do you know when you will ever get out up until the last day. Something as simple as a cuss word will set you back several months perhaps even start the program over. I don't know what it's like now but this is what it was like for me in 2006. Everything we need was only to make the public perseive it was a good place. If it was your birthday they would present you with a cake and then the staff would eat it in front of you and you weren't allowed to have it. This place is a joke every day I was there I prayed to god they would just send me to jail so the torment would end. I think only the positive comments are kept on the website and negative comments are discarded.
sure

Lexington, KY

#15 Apr 12, 2014
Former resident wrote:
You wake up at an unannounced time, eat breakfast then work doing slave labor like moving piles of bricks 20 ft. Over half of the day then moving them back in the exact same spot the second half. Smashing rocks with sledge hammers all day long. Picking weeds from the garden so the place looks nice when visitors come they make you ware entirely different clothes when visitors are around. They degrade the kids tell them they are nothing, a menace to society. One week I got sick and had a tempature of 104.9 but was still forced to "work". They say there is counseling and treatment there but I don't recall any of that. You are set in groups of 3 and you cannot move more than 10 feet without your pair. Even in the showers and bathrooms your pair follows. You are forced to scream at other peers when they don't abide by bogus rules. They have couches in the cottages but you are only along to sit on the floor unless visitors are there. You don't know what time day or date it is not do you know when you will ever get out up until the last day. Something as simple as a cuss word will set you back several months perhaps even start the program over. I don't know what it's like now but this is what it was like for me in 2006. Everything we need was only to make the public perseive it was a good place. If it was your birthday they would present you with a cake and then the staff would eat it in front of you and you weren't allowed to have it. This place is a joke every day I was there I prayed to god they would just send me to jail so the torment would end. I think only the positive comments are kept on the website and negative comments are discarded.
You think 2006 was bad try late 90's
Been there

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Apr 20, 2014
For those of you that have been there Ramey Estep isn't a place where you go when you obey the law and mind your parents and get good grades It's a group home to teach you a lesson when you aren't behaving I was there in 2001 yes they were hard on me but they helped me. I was on a road to nowhere headed for a life behind bars after a while there I made the choice to change my ways and become a decent citizen in society.
Red Rover

Bowling Green, KY

#17 Apr 22, 2014
Been there wrote:
For those of you that have been there Ramey Estep isn't a place where you go when you obey the law and mind your parents and get good grades It's a group home to teach you a lesson when you aren't behaving I was there in 2001 yes they were hard on me but they helped me. I was on a road to nowhere headed for a life behind bars after a while there I made the choice to change my ways and become a decent citizen in society.
You must have been in an easy group jail is a lot better than Ramey.
ZETAOMEGADELTA01 -02

Walnut Grove, CA

#18 Feb 6, 2015
Notruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Have no idea how Ramey home is now,it's been 12 years since my time there, however in 2001/2002 religion was definitely forced on every peer,many different religions ( Baptist, Catholic, Episcopalian, holy roller,ect)...but not only was attendance mandatory,participation in all church happenings(prayer,singing, Christmas plays,ect..) was also mandatory. We attended church twice EVERY Sunday...we were punished and told we were being inconsiderate if we refused to participate or pray!! I lived it first hand!!
I am a firm believer in God, however i watched a mentally undeveloped(she had the mental awareness of an 8-9year old) ATHEISTS peer (her family were also atheist, so she had been raised with these beliefs her entire 13 years) repeatedly be punished n on few occasion ending with her being physically restrained by several large staff members not because she was disruptful or a harm to herself or others, but because she was DEFIANT and would not bow her head and PRAY with her group...
Give it a rest

Ashland, KY

#19 Feb 7, 2015
As a staff there in the late 90's-early 2000's, it was at its peak when J.C. Blanton was the administrator, in my opinion. The STAFF was in charge. Now, the youth run the show. Its like a 4-H camp now. People used to want to retire from there. Now, all they can think about is finding another job. Its a mess now, from what I hear. I am proud to have worked there under Mr. Blantons administration. If you gave an honest days work, you got an honest days wage. I believe I helped influence many young men to be positive, productive members of society (I cant DO anything for them. The choices they make are theirs.) Enough about that. As far as faith being FORCED on them, it wasnt when I was employed there. If its being done now, I disagree with that. While yes, I want to see everyone get saved and escape the pits of hell, it shouldnt be forced on anyone. Jesus was a gentleman and did not go anywhere or be with anyone where He wasnt wanted. But so what if they teach Bible to these young people?! Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not kill. Honour thy father and thy mother. Why would you not want these CRIMINALS, these future leaders of society to learn this?! Heaven forbid, they learn these things while being there for REHABILITATION! Arent those the kinds of things you would love for these delinquents to hear, learn and put into practice? Id bet if Mohammed or Bhuda were the ones that taught that and it was being taught to the kids, REH would be "cool" and "modern" then, wouldn't they? How about instead of whining and complaining about kids being taught about our Lord Jesus Christ, you just say "thank you", Ramey Estep for caring enough to try and teach these delinquents some structure, discipline and morality. Thats what you say you want for these kids, but when it comes down to it...Do you really?
Former resident

Lexington, KY

#20 Feb 9, 2015
You wake up do slave labor go to school where no one helps you do more slave labor and when you can consistently do it without saying anything for a couple months you get released. And the favorite punishment by Ramey is public humiliation. But the foods good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fairview superintendent 35 min Leave 22
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 49 min right 136,551
Any women in Ashland looking for a man 1 hr todd 4
Stark sandblasting in marathon 1 hr dont do it 2
i love turning in blacks from outa town who sal... 1 hr Eleete RACE 27
Reputable pest control in Ashland my? 2 hr oldfart 2
Jarrod 2 hr curious 4
More from around the web

Ashland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]