Facebook age limit for kids

Facebook age limit for kids

Posted in the Ashland Forum

Mother

Chesapeake, OH

#1 Apr 4, 2013
I am a mother of a 8 year old stepson who has a Facebook and after seeing what I saw yesterday I'm not sure it's a good idea that he has one. He commented on a picture that said "comment the word red and see what happens." The picture was of a girls chest and the focus was on her bra area alone. I'm not sure what happens to the picture when you comment the word, but I know that this kind of stuff, along with much worse, is not something an 8 year old should be exposed to (yet anyway). I know that vulgarness is everywhere and it's hard to prevent a child from seeing everything, I just feel that if one avenue of seeing this type of stuff at such a young age can be prevented then it should be done.
His father is still deciding on what to do about his Facebook account. So I'm trying to get other parents advice so I can pass it on to him.
Blah

Ashland, KY

#2 Apr 4, 2013
What will an age limit do? All he would have to do is lie about his age. Why dont you just monitor what he does and watch who he adds. I don't think an 8 year old kid should have a fb and if you also think that just don't let him on it.
HillbillyHelper

Chesapeake, OH

#3 Apr 4, 2013
Listen to Blah, Momma. This is an easy call, even for a hillbilly.
Mother

Chesapeake, OH

#4 Apr 4, 2013
My question is, what age do you all think should kids be allowed to open up a Facebook account?
cybil

Ashland, KY

#5 Apr 4, 2013
i've seen parents set their children's pages up for them even younger than 8 publicly, and i still wonder what on earth....
JustMe

Flatwoods, KY

#6 Apr 4, 2013
Well Facebook has an age limit to able to join it.I believe it is 13. As for the picture, nothing ever happens when you comment. I dont see why an 8 year old would even have a facebook.
daj

Flatwoods, KY

#7 Apr 4, 2013
Facebook age limit is 14...and its for a reason. I have an 8 year old daughter and there is no way Im letting her on facebook right now. Children need censorship.
Lanie

Ironton, OH

#8 Apr 4, 2013
No limit necessary. Let them learn how much I hate them all and want to see them dead.
Really

Ironton, OH

#9 Apr 4, 2013
Lanie wrote:
No limit necessary. Let them learn how much I hate them all and want to see them dead.
This would be the comment that got you in trouble.
cracra

Ironton, OH

#10 Apr 4, 2013
I hope someone reported this, wanting children to die?????
Lanie

Ironton, OH

#11 Apr 4, 2013
Go ahead I have reported many times
Cory

Ashland, KY

#12 Apr 5, 2013
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Facebook meant for college aged students at first? Recognizing only university email? I could be totally wrong on that.
blahhhhh

United States

#13 Apr 5, 2013
I have a 7 almost 8 year old son n id never allow him to have a fb...but if for some reason I did he'd never be viewing :it allone...it'd b set totally private n only cloos family n a few frinds I knew would b on it
Lanie

Ironton, OH

#14 Apr 5, 2013
Shut facebook down. They are pieces of shit and everyone that uses it.
Kim

Ashland, KY

#15 Apr 5, 2013
The Internet should require age verification to just surf impulsively, with the exception of a few Family-oriented sites, which could be compiled into a list, and made available to everyone regardless of age.
bikersgirl
#16 Apr 5, 2013
the limit is actually 13 years old, and there are really no measures of security to keep children away from certain pages. i personally run a fb page, and honestly, yeah i try to moderate what i post, but my page is meant for teens and adults, not children! i'm not able to know each and every one of my followers!
Watchum

Chesapeake, OH

#17 Apr 6, 2013
Kim wrote:
The Internet should require age verification to just surf impulsively, with the exception of a few Family-oriented sites, which could be compiled into a list, and made available to everyone regardless of age.
Saying "The Internet" is like saying "The Telephone". It means nothing to individual users. Take care of your own pups Hillbilly, quit depending on government and others to make and enforce family rules!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike hensley 31 min sab 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr effem 170,545
Roy Moore 4 hr Bannon 1
Erin Mays-Waldroop 5 hr Whoknows 3
Obama phone 5 hr Johnny 1
Thinkin bout gettin me a job. 6 hr Chug 5
Horsin Around 6 hr mary 3
Joe Burchett 10 hr Kisass 40

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web