KDMC not in the ranking for "Best Hos...
UnionMan

Newburgh, IN

#21 Jan 1, 2010
in my above statement let it be known that im talking the nurses and doctors are no place for union, but i think its ridiculous that KDMC is doin away with the union contractors working on the hospital we need to keep our work in our community simple as that Fred is hiring out of town scabs and rats to do half the wuality of work in double the time for half the price, just like his cheap ass
just curious

Ashland, KY

#22 Jan 2, 2010
Whereas I would agree with UnionMan about not having a union in a hospital because it does affect patient care, i disagree with contracting out work. If u own a business or u run a business, u r going to look at price and quality. Not all nonunion labor has poor quality. I have seen very poor quality from union labor and nonunion labor. In actual reality, they are both the same. I have yet to see any difference between the 2 other than the final bill...yes its true you pay alot more for union labor, but i do agree that we need to keep our work in our community. maybe the union needs to lower their bids a little to be more competitive, and please stop blaming others when they lose to a lower bid..but we definately need to have more work kept in the community...
Agendas

Ashland, KY

#23 Jan 2, 2010
KDMC operates with to many hidden agendas.They sacrifice quality care for appearence,and wear false smiles.It is said that KDMC is a Not for Profit Hospital but there are some fat pockets there.Is Mike Light still on the Board of Directors?,seems like a conflict of Interest since he contracts to
demolish the buildings on properties KDMC buys,also he made a bundle on the RT 5 property where Kingsbrook is located when KDMC purchased it.but this is about quality care,and that would be Bellefonte Hospital
bellefonte sux

Ashland, KY

#24 Jan 3, 2010
Well i can say first hand the quality of care that my daughter received when she was at bellefonte hospital was horrible...The nurses were rude, and they seemed aggravated if we used the call light. They never checked on her at all...and dont even get me started on the dr..dont know why everyone thinks its so great, cause it sucks and i wouldnt take my loved one there...
happyigotaJOB

Broken Arrow, OK

#25 Jan 3, 2010
as far as unionman I have to disagree with you about the union. Cabell and st marry's are both union hospitals. and kdmc in some area are as well. if you are a unionman as you say you are you would agree that the union would help us all. nurses are let go all the time at kdmc for no reason. so don't you think they needed some one there to stand up for them?
Union Man

Newburgh, IN

#26 Jan 3, 2010
happyigotaJOB wrote:
as far as unionman I have to disagree with you about the union. Cabell and st marry's are both union hospitals. and kdmc in some area are as well. if you are a unionman as you say you are you would agree that the union would help us all. nurses are let go all the time at kdmc for no reason. so don't you think they needed some one there to stand up for them?
I just think that when it comes to patient care there is no place for it there, maybe with the nurses but most certainely not with the doctors
just curious

Ashland, KY

#27 Jan 3, 2010
I have to agree with Unionman on this one.. Cabell is a nightmare for patient care...i worked there, and the union steps in the way ALL the time..The employees use it as a crutch all the time...patient care definately suffers there because of it..
Union Man

Newburgh, IN

#28 Jan 3, 2010
happyigotaJOB wrote:
Like I said i am in the union the local1445 in cattletsburg and a full suooprter of organized work and prevailing wage jobs and the union in general, but if you were the patient in question and your nurse or doctor had set regulations they could fall back on if they did not agree with the practice or treatment or even could possibly walk out on you could mean your living or dying, i think that it sort of takes away from the oath you take when becoming a nurse because as we all know that with unionization comes some lee way with certain situations and i do not agree that it would be right in a hospital seting, that is all, dont take from this that i do not support our unions because that is most def not the case i just think when it comes to healthcare and life threatening situations it is not appropriate.
funny

Elizabethtown, KY

#29 Jan 3, 2010
UnionMan wrote:
in my above statement let it be known that im talking the nurses and doctors are no place for union, but i think its ridiculous that KDMC is doin away with the union contractors working on the hospital we need to keep our work in our community simple as that Fred is hiring out of town scabs and rats to do half the wuality of work in double the time for half the price, just like his cheap ass
KDMC has local union men workin there right now people.Go by and ask the men.There is a ashland local there now.I see em everyday.
Union Man

Newburgh, IN

#30 Jan 3, 2010
funny wrote:
<quoted text>KDMC has local union men workin there right now people.Go by and ask the men.There is a ashland local there now.I see em everyday.
yes and im 100% in favor of keepin the work done on the hospital union, like i have said read my posts I AM UNION AND SUPPORT UNION WORK 110%, i hope all work done on the building itself always stays union, but i am talking about nurxes and doctors unionizing it would hurt patient care sheesh reaad my posts before u take it out of context, union is the way to go in almost every case except when it comes to patient care.. that is all i meant by the posts so please dont take it out of context
wht_th_f

Campbellsville, KY

#31 Jan 3, 2010
WOW wrote:
I guess you guys like an hospital that dosent do mri on sunday. Im sorry we wont know if thats a stroke till monday, hope you make it.
thats actually a CT that is done to see if you have had a stroke....

Since: Jun 09

AOL

#32 Jan 3, 2010
they should screen their employees better or watch them closer, there was a tall valet tried to sell some dope. On the job or nor this is illegal and wrong.I was told about this.
employee

Elizabethtown, KY

#33 Jan 4, 2010
wht_th_f wrote:
<quoted text>
thats actually a CT that is done to see if you have had a stroke....
mri is just like every other dept that doesnt have 24 coverage.If it is an emergency they will call the tech out.Depends on the case.Geez get the facts before u start runnin ur trap!
lol

Flatwoods, KY

#34 Jan 16, 2010
i work at kdmc and we dont have 7-8 patients to nurse ration. in fact kdmc policy is no more than 6 patients to a nurse. Since may it has been pretty good and with the new bunch of december grads it will only get better. now if you work on rehab you can take 7 patients. it was your choice to go to a shitty floor.
wonderwhy wrote:
KDMC is there for show. They have totally lost focus. Fred wants everything to "look" great, but on the inside, we are falling apart. Not enough staff to take care of the patients, and when we ask for another nurse to help with the patient load, it's like we've asked for our director's first born child or something. 7-8 patients per 1 nurse is not safe, not acceptable. We don't have nurses aids to help either...Fred took those too. So, when a patient doesn't get their precious bath that day, we get in trouble. We have to worry about the most important things first...meds, wound care, etc. So, why would KDMC be in the nation's top??? They need to fix a lot of things, and focus on patients getting the total care they need, not focus on how pretty the place looks.
been there done that

Ashland, KY

#35 Jan 16, 2010
Bull! I know when I worked at KDMC, aka Hell on Earth, we did have at LEAST 7-8 patients per nurse and that was a good day! That hospital is nothing more than a pile of garbage dressed up to look like a rose garden! I will NEVER darken the door at that hospital ever again! The whole place could burn to the ground and it wouldn't affect me in the least.

And BTW I would trust any of my family members at Bellefonte. I have never had a bad experience there in the 10+ years I have lived in this area. Polite and knowledgeable staff, excellent care, and great doctors.
Working 2 Change Things

Ashland, KY

#36 Jan 17, 2010
lol wrote:
i work at kdmc and we dont have 7-8 patients to nurse ration. in fact kdmc policy is no more than 6 patients to a nurse. Since may it has been pretty good and with the new bunch of december grads it will only get better. now if you work on rehab you can take 7 patients. it was your choice to go to a shitty floor.<quoted text>
I worked at KDMC too....and I frequently had 7.....sometimes 8.... and one time I had 11......KDMC only cares about Press Gainey.... And whether it is Rehab or any other floor that is an unsafe ratio... and BTW......I never worked Rahab.....SURN is always 7 to a nurse.......
LocalActor

Elizabethtown, KY

#37 Jan 17, 2010
I've never had a bad experience with KDMC or OLBH. Both are significantly more impressive to me than Cabell Huntington or St. Mary's.

At Cabell Huntington, I went in with a severe concussion and waited over an hour to be seen while friends desperately tried to keep me awake in the waiting room. When I was ultimately seen by the hospital, I had to remain for observation due to the severity of the concussion.

Nothing could possibly be worse than St. Mary's, however. I was bit on the ankle by a brown recluse spider and rushed to get to the Emergency Room. Over an hour later, the area was intensely swollen and my foot and toes were losing feeling and completely discolored. What ultimately got me back was the panic attack I had in the waiting room.

OLBH and KDM are both fine in my books after experience with Huntington hospitals.
My2cents

Flatwoods, KY

#38 Jan 17, 2010
If I had a spider bite like that I would panic also. That was a bad one.

I tend to favor OLBH. I give both OLBH and KDMC good marks for their cancer treatment, their radiology, and their wound care. I would prefer to stay at OLBH because I think KDMC other sends people home too soon. Medicare encourages hospitals to do that by the way. I think OLBH is cleaner than KDMC. They both have problems with staph however especially KDMC. They never mop floors with bleach not that I have ever seen. I also hear they don't take time to clean operating rooms as well as they should be. St. Marys wound care is not bad and Cabell Dialysis is the best in the area. If you shop around you can get some very good medical care. If I was going to have a heart cath done I would go to St. Marys.
noway

Portsmouth, OH

#39 Jan 17, 2010
if u want Staph infection go to KDMC
Wht_th_f

Ashland, KY

#40 Jan 17, 2010
To WOW and EMPLOYEE,, MRI's aren't typically done for emergent situations, so why should they be done on Sunday's for diagnostic purposes, when a CT scan is the scan of choice for CVA's and multiple other problems..So why don't you check your facts and get a clue!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashland baseball, Swift got played 58 min Tip ONiel 2
where's the best bad pizza 4 hr CoolStoryBro 2
Cps using comprehensive assessment test to take... (Feb '14) 4 hr Dead beat parents... 18
News The Mill That Right-to-Work Built 4 hr The Original Jo Jo 17
Repubs finally back Affirmative Action 5 hr Voice of reason 13
If you seen a bag of money would you report it ? (Oct '15) 5 hr Your kidding 7
What will Dems do when Trump succeeds in Middle... 6 hr Voice of reason 74

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages