Why are gas prices so high right now?...

Why are gas prices so high right now??????

Posted in the Ashland Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fedup

Ashland, KY

#1 Dec 25, 2010
Every year they seem to mysteriously raise gas prices right before a Holiday. The gas in the ground was purchased at a cheaper rate and the price is increased based on speculation???????
How do people sleep at night knowing they are raping people?
They always have an excuse such as a hurricxane, an unsettled Middle East, The Irish economy, somthing.....
I have never seen one product thats price is determined by what goes on in every sector of the world at one point in time.
CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!

“I think, therefore I post.”

Since: Aug 10

AssLand Ky

#2 Dec 25, 2010
See, I'm a political cynic. The prices began rising after the republicans won back the majority in Congress. It seems coincidental. Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me! ;)
Eileen

Washington, WV

#4 Dec 26, 2010
Ironically, the dollar being at bottom (relatively) is one of the reasons gas is going up. Cheap dollars (to get exports) means we pay more for stuff from other places (like oil). Now, if only all the Chinese crap at WalMart were to go up in price, perhaps someone would buy the stuff still Made In USA, but as long as most people will sacrifice US jobs to save four cents on a pair of jeans (and they will), jobs will continue to disappear and things will get worse...
gas station owner

Thailand

#5 Dec 26, 2010
Because we want all your money so we'll be rich.
Fed up

Ashland, KY

#6 Dec 26, 2010
What really irritates is that Ashland area is highest in state. Go just to the next town it's 5-10 cents less.
Horatio

Washington, WV

#7 Dec 26, 2010
Marathon sets the price...and it's not good enough they bought out Ashland Oil's petroleum operations...they also have to rape us just as did the last big cheeses at Ashland Oil. When Paul Blazer ran the company, he sold gas in the Ashland area at the lowest price the company offered...not the later people. It was comical listening to Chuck Rice tell people about competitive forces set gas prices...In Ashland there are almost no competitive forces...and when there are the dominant oil company swats them or buys them out.

The service station operators are not the ones making all the money...most is made by the petroleum companies themselves...
AntiTrust

United States

#8 Dec 26, 2010
Hahaha, I like how people defend these companies by giving lame ass excuses like:

The decrease in the value of the dollar.

Costs for maintenance and new projects.

Supply and demand (my favorite).

Natural disasters and such.

I find this shit laughable when these companies use this stuff in an opening statement about "our poor business", then in the same breath boast of billions (with a B not an M) in profit in each quarter.

It's called fleecing, and it's the American way.
AntiTrust

United States

#9 Dec 26, 2010
Oh and FYI, don't blame the oil companies too much...you ever noticed the taxes on each gallon of gas? Way to slip one in there Uncle Sam, you dirty bastard ; )
Fed up

Waterloo, Canada

#10 Dec 26, 2010
I know my brothers friend told him that gas was 1.29 a gallon in Richmond ky.. Its makes you wonder how come our prices are over double that.
Horatio

Washington, WV

#11 Dec 26, 2010
Most of the tax on gasoline is state, not federal...and it goes to the state road fund to pay for the highways on which you drive.
Horatio

Waterloo, Canada

#12 Dec 26, 2010
I know this to be true. I was a janitor at the state dept. They would come to me when they had big decisions to make. They wouid come in the restrooms and pull me away from cleaning toilets to ask me my input on decisions to make.
Doff

Ashland, KY

#13 Dec 26, 2010
Gas actually went down during the oil leak in the gulf this past summer, and how long did that last? Ever since that has happened my conclusion of the prices the last 5-6 years is nothing short of "bullshit" when it comes to whatever excuses they want to try and sell.
woooooo

Russell, KY

#14 Dec 26, 2010
Rumor is 2 black guys hijacked a couple gas semis at flyin j..so gas went up..on brighter side..hunington has had free gas all week if you black
Blubery

Ashland, KY

#15 Dec 26, 2010
It all comes down to supply and demand. Most people travel during the holidays and also drive more to buy x-mas presents, go to holiday parties, etc. They know people will have to purchase more gas at this time of year to get everywhere they want to go so they can get away with raising the prices sky high because we can't do anything about it. Nobody is going to boycott the gas stations and just sit at home all season so we are forced to pay their extravagant prices.
busy p r people

Roosevelt, OK

#16 Dec 26, 2010
busy explaining why it is so high.
why is there a big difference in price 20 miles away
from our area where it is made?
Uno

Lebanon, KY

#17 Dec 26, 2010
voter2

Knox City, TX

#18 Dec 26, 2010
wher has everone been dont you know it always cost more before a holiday to make gas,they have to get thier profit so they can go on theirholiday vacation,yes they rip us off
soldier

Russell, KY

#19 Dec 26, 2010
I work in refinery and yeah basically we take a 2 week vacation...thanks for the support piss ons
Oscar

Washington, WV

#20 Dec 26, 2010
You are more than welcome...the company treats you no better than it does its customers....Ashland has left the refinery.
jcwho

Ashland, KY

#21 Dec 26, 2010
natl avg and state avg way below what we are paying,amazing the christmas spirit the local price fixer in this area has,,any other business that operated like this would be run outa town

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crystal Reeves selling herself on Facebook and ... 3 min God 23
It is a sin to vote or register for the Democra... 13 min God 13
addiction recovery care scam 21 min hellraisuh 11
the cold case of Janet JoleneStephens-Brown (Jul '15) 46 min Concerned Aunt 158
Tiffany Edwards Tattoos! 51 min omglolwtf 18
Bellefonte Country Club (Jan '15) 1 hr Lipstick on a Stan 94
Ashland Property Tax Increase 1 hr Not your allowance 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages