Addicts...do they ever really "recover"?

Addicts...do they ever really "recover"?

Posted in the Ashland Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Maybe

Addison, NY

#1 Jan 3, 2011
Being around addicts for most of my life I have had alot of my things stolen, lied too & all the sadness that comes along with it. It not only effects the person thats addicted but also families & friends. My question is do they REALLY ever recover fully? Some have said the "urge" is always there forever whenever they are stressed & things come up they want to run back to the drugs. I'm just wanting everyones opinion on it.
yep

Ashland, KY

#2 Jan 3, 2011
Why yea I go to the methadone clinic and im 100% clean and recovered. I'm so high right now I don't need any 30s.
really dont know

Wellington, TX

#3 Jan 3, 2011
I dont know if they ever 100% recover, i do know that an addict once off of the pills has to stay totally busy at all times, either with work or family, something to keep their minds busy. I have seen very few stay 100% clean.
yeah well

Chesapeake, OH

#4 Jan 3, 2011
Not unless they really want to recover. I've dealt with the druggie family members too. Most recently, my nearly 50 yr old sister-in-law. She was busted, we hired her an attorney (thousands down the drain) and as soon as she could, after spending months and months in jail, she went right back to using and has no intention of stopping. She's a waste of space.
they can

Ashland, KY

#5 Jan 3, 2011
ive been clean for 2 years now andhonestly feel like those days are behind me. my mind doesnt even go there anymore. but you have to put in the work. can someone say im gonna get clean and just do it. no probly not. but if you get help and work the many different types of programs and have a healthy support system it is absolutely possible
jaman

Flatwoods, KY

#6 Jan 3, 2011
been a few years since i seen a pill...but yeah some of us recover..isnt easy...love the mathadone comment i was lit on it too lol...abstinence is neccesary...
agirl

Ashland, KY

#7 Jan 3, 2011
They may get clean and stay clean, but never recover. Addiction is a lifelong battle.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#8 Jan 3, 2011
They might get clean and they might stay clean, but major drug addiction turns them weird as hell. Some wrap christmas lights around their bodies and run around the house. Others think they are great authors like Jack Kerouac. Some even get get preachy, and give you a sermon, "Oh I should have been dead". Well now you have the answer, the question I ask, "Have you fed the fish"?
didit

United States

#9 Jan 3, 2011
Clean 5 years now, but I agree it's never easy, and is a lifelong battle...
jul

Flatwoods, KY

#10 Jan 3, 2011
I myself have been an addict for years and no it never goes away and those who say it do are lieing see after ur clean and ur head is clear than u have user remorse and the guilt starts and that will mess with ur head bad thats when most people relapse the whole thing is a visious cycle!! You can be clean and stay clean but it takes more willpower than most people have.Just to be honest
jaman

Flatwoods, KY

#11 Jan 3, 2011
i never had alot of remose problems...i mean i did it and loved it when i did it..it happened..i moved on i guess...and i dont even really see that person as me today..and i never think about dope really...early on holidays were tough like new years..but this year didnt even phase me, was grateful to stay home..its always tricky in ways though
hoot and holler

Wagoner, OK

#12 Jan 3, 2011
I guess recovery would be a matter of definition for anybody. For me it also must include total abstinance. But that is me. I know my limitations. A sense of spirituality with a reliance in their faith of a higher power would define for someone else. Arriving at a point to where I am comfortable in my own skin is a process that I work on daily. Just because someone finds themselves in active substance addiction doesn't leave them a waste of space. Some come by it honestly, like when a long term medical condition merits long term pain medication. But most addicts, regardless of their favored path to numbness,is a genentic predisposition to this weakness, and the reluctance to deal with it honestly. And I know that's up for debate also. Regardless,it takes work and dedication. With a bunch of high profile successes such as Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Betty Ford, and even Robert Downey Jr.,just to name a few, would suggest that recovery could be a reality, and even a possible well spring for a future better world. Belive me, I can totally understand "yeah well's" frustration of having an active addict in the family. It can be a real buzz kill(pun intended). I know I put my family through hell in the seventies, eighties and nineties. I simply lucked out in having a family that stood by me regardless of how much of a selfish shit I could become. Yet still the most despicable self obsorbed cretins I have ever ran across were sober as judges. Such as certain CEO's, politicians, and TV evangelists. I wish they had gotten loaded up front, and showed the world what an asshole they really were before they hurt a whole lot more people than any ole run of the mill addict could ever hope to. Who knows, maybe even Lindsey Lohan might man up, and grow up some day to be the first woman president.
clayton

Dayton, OH

#13 Mar 6, 2013
hoot and holler wrote:
I guess recovery would be a matter of definition for anybody. For me it also must include total abstinance. But that is me. I know my limitations. A sense of spirituality with a reliance in their faith of a higher power would define for someone else. Arriving at a point to where I am comfortable in my own skin is a process that I work on daily. Just because someone finds themselves in active substance addiction doesn't leave them a waste of space. Some come by it honestly, like when a long term medical condition merits long term pain medication. But most addicts, regardless of their favored path to numbness,is a genentic predisposition to this weakness, and the reluctance to deal with it honestly. And I know that's up for debate also. Regardless,it takes work and dedication. With a bunch of high profile successes such as Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Betty Ford, and even Robert Downey Jr.,just to name a few, would suggest that recovery could be a reality, and even a possible well spring for a future better world. Belive me, I can totally understand "yeah well's" frustration of having an active addict in the family. It can be a real buzz kill(pun intended). I know I put my family through hell in the seventies, eighties and nineties. I simply lucked out in having a family that stood by me regardless of how much of a selfish shit I could become. Yet still the most despicable self obsorbed cretins I have ever ran across were sober as judges. Such as certain CEO's, politicians, and TV evangelists. I wish they had gotten loaded up front, and showed the world what an asshole they really were before they hurt a whole lot more people than any ole run of the mill addict could ever hope to. Who knows, maybe even Lindsey Lohan might man up, and grow up some day to be the first woman president.
I have been married with a addict for three years I finally moved out and had enough I thought she would change but she got worse and she blames me still!!! The said thing is that I love her and want her back but she just wants to get high and don't want me there to watch her! She got a duo and still she has not hit a bottom she is doing heroin and I afraid she won't stop!!!
addict

United States

#14 Mar 6, 2013
Look, its a complicated subject. Everyone has their own opinion, and we as people are all entitled to our own opinions. But until you become truly addicted to a drug and happiness is present only when you are high, you will never understand what its like to be in a predicament of such nature. I believe people choose to become addicted, like I did. I really can't explain why my life is the way it is, and i don't come up with bullshit excuses. I'll admit-I chose to do the drug, and I chose to do it again and again and again and so on.But never in my life did I think I would become a drug abuser, promised myself and others that I would never shoot up in my veins. But look at me now. At this point I cannot see living my life any other way nor can i imagine things getting the least bit easier than it is right now.
Kyova Crime

Broken Arrow, OK

#15 Mar 6, 2013
This woman operates Kyova CrimeAlerts! http://kentucky.arrests.org/search.php...
Krystal89

Tucson, AZ

#16 May 31, 2013
I must say, it IS VERY POSSIBLE for an addict to lead a "normal" life. It is a lifelong battle and you have to WANT to quit it! It is ALL OR NOTHING! Although, most recovering addicts do relapse throughout there road of recovery-but dont beat the person up or put them down by no means! This is when vulnerability to do drugs again is at its greatest. It is a DISEASE that IS treatable, NOT curable. Think of it like this- Pretend im a diabetic and have to take my meds in order to live and thrive.While I hate being a diabetic everyday for the rest of my life, it is TREATABLE!! And with that TREATMENT, we can lead a nourished life. Well, the same goes for addicts. We dont LIKE the idea of being one, and im SURE most of us didnt see ourselves ever being an addict, but we are anyway.The best option is to get help IMMEDIATELY!! Most started up a drug for SOME reason or another, but that doesnt mean that we cant change our tomorrow. I have been an addict for 5 years, I am an RN as well. My recovery is 1st and foremost! And while my career is on hold, Im happier knowing that I wont be sticking a needle in my arm tonight from opiates and our lives are based on our choices. 1 1/2 years sober, but not clean! Keep your heads up ya"ll. JUST WHEN THE UGLY CACOON THOUGHT HER LIFE WAS OVER, SHE BLOSSOMED INTO A BEUTIFUL BUTTERFLY. I look forward to my days here on Earth, the PRESENT of life :) Praying for everyone!
No Cure

Ashland, KY

#17 May 31, 2013
Maybe wrote:
Being around addicts for most of my life I have had alot of my things stolen, lied too & all the sadness that comes along with it. It not only effects the person thats addicted but also families & friends. My question is do they REALLY ever recover fully? Some have said the "urge" is always there forever whenever they are stressed & things come up they want to run back to the drugs. I'm just wanting everyones opinion on it.
Junkies, pedos, and some heteros/homos have the same "mental disorder" of being pussi slaves to their desires. They lack self-control and moderation. 
The treatment is the same for all of them: support groups; someone they can call when they are feeling weak to ask them what the hell they are thinking and help prevent them from giving into their temptation.
the solution

United States

#18 May 31, 2013
There is a solution to addiction. All things are possible with God, but if one hasn't had enough pain, then it's inevitable, they will use/drink again,,, it's all the same. But God is the OnLY solution.
Addict

Ashland, KY

#19 May 31, 2013
the solution wrote:
There is a solution to addiction. All things are possible with God, but if one hasn't had enough pain, then it's inevitable, they will use/drink again,,, it's all the same. But God is the OnLY solution.
Thats funny, he never seems to answer his phone when I'm feeling weak and need to talk to someone.
The Dude

Louisville, KY

#20 May 31, 2013
I like to throw feces at my fish tank. I just wish I had a fish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How long is the wait list for Scope Towers? 21 min Mike 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 22 min ChromiuMan 148,972
Todd Kelley (Aug '15) 43 min Coworker 54
House & garage behind bank in ww 45 min Pip Rademaker 5
brewerthekidlover 51 min Pip Rademaker 11
Amanda sparks 1 hr charlie 1
Democrat dream team...The Fellon & The Fraud 1 hr Concerned 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages