Crabbe Elementary School in Ashland, ...
SURE WHATEVER

United States

#41 Nov 5, 2010
Supporter wrote:
Yeah I hear that the mrs Nelson teacher does scream alot and the student may fear her. But. If I'm not mistaking. A few years ago I believe she won either state or national teacher of the year award. Either way she must be doing something right to won such a highly regarded award.
Everything isn't as it seems. Uses and abuses whatever whoever to get what she wants. She even rides the school bus so she don't have to use her gas and wear and tear on her car. She is a yeller and the kids are afraid of her. Seen it with my own eyes. I would have my kids at Crabbe.
Supporter

United States

#42 Nov 5, 2010
What's your point sure whatever. If she so bad why would you have your kids at crabbe. If that's a typo maybe you should have had someone like her to teacher you how to type or speak.
former studentt

Flatwoods, KY

#43 Nov 5, 2010
i went here until 2nd grade , and i loved it the teachers are amazing and everyone is down to earth ((:
SURE WHATEVER

United States

#44 Nov 6, 2010
I don't have kids at Crabbe. Never did, never will. But I do know for fact what I said in my earlier post. Trust me, Hatcher was the better school. Not Crabbe. Principle was way better, teachers more loving and caring, students taught to respect and to be nice. Now how they are at home, is up to the parent. At school David Greene was in control. Wonderful man. Crabbe can't hold a candle to him.
Jenny

Ashland, KY

#45 Nov 9, 2010
Everything isn't as it seems. Uses and abuses whatever whoever to get what she wants. She even rides the school bus so she don't have to use her gas and wear and tear on her car. She is a yeller and the kids are afraid of her. Seen it with my own eyes. I would have my kids at Crabbe.

She rides the bus to help the driver keep the kids in line.
Jenny

Ashland, KY

#46 Nov 9, 2010
First part of above message is a quote from "Sure whatever"
CrabbeMother

Ashland, KY

#47 Nov 10, 2010
Crabbe is an Awesome school. I went to Crabbe as a child, my sister went there as well. And just to inform all of you who are talking about misinformation and crabbe kids being behind: WE LIFE 2 BLOCKS FROM OAKVIEW ELEMENTARY, AND MY CHILDREN GO TO CRABBE. I not only trust every staff member in this school, I also know for a fact that they help children succeed. My son was a slow learner, he needed help. The staff went beyond the call of duty. Now my child is in the second grade, he is reading at a 4th grade level, he has great grades, and he loves his school.
The parents of the children at crabbe are not poor people. Like all schools, there are some unfortunate families. But this school does not look at how much money you have. They look at the individual needs of each individual child.
You cannot as for a better school than Crabbe Elementary. I checked out all of the schools in the area before placing my children at Crabbe. The other schools were either snobby, stuck up people, or they were WAY TOOO high maintenance. I dont want my child thinking that their crap dont stink.
Crabbe is full of great students, great staff, and great families. Say what you will about Crabbe, but as most of us know, it is trully an AWESOME school!!!
If only wrote:
Crabbe is a good school until after 1st grade, Ms. Nelson is a good teacher for a 2nd grade crabbe teacher, however the parents are still uninformed of their Childs progress until it's too late. Homework is sporadically given and ar scores and their individual goals are never explained until you hear your child was held back for recess because they didn't meet a reading goal that you had never been informed of, so you have to ask about it. Since moving out of the school district I was shocked on exactly how behind the children are at crabbe compared to other ashland schools! I guess if one pays attention to the yearly test scores it's really not that surprising.
Mr. Greene seems to be a good guy until you have an issue. He will then tell you what you want to hear and do nothing to resolve that issue. The man may be wonderful with children, but he needs a backbone and be taught how to run a school. Most teachers have regretted their voting him in. I just hope for the wellbeing of our children there will be change in the curriculum. Good luck to all!!
CrabbeMother

Ashland, KY

#48 Nov 10, 2010
I am sure that Hatcher had some great staff members. I had the privilege of meeting several of the teachers that worked at Hatcher. But as to say if they are more loving? You don't really know that simply because if you don't have children that go to Crabbe you have nothing to compare the caring, loving part to.
Every school has bully's, every school has unfortunate families, every school has a quirk somewhere. This world isn't perfect, our school system isn't going to be either. Brad Greene, Principal at Crabbe Elementary has helped the children of that school succeed. He is a wonderful guy who takes true interest in the education of children.
AND THE CHILDREN AT CRABBE ARE TAUGHT RESPECT, AND HOW TO BE "NICE". THEY ARE KIDS FOR HEAVEN SAKES. THEY AREN'T PERFECT ANGELS. YOU SHOW ME ONE PERFECT SCHOOL WHERE ALL THE CHILDREN ARE SAINTS. YOU CAN'T. CAUSE THAT SCHOOL DOES NOT EXIST.
All of you need to get over your smack talk and realize that you can't change how things are, and that you all are being bully's and your not being very nice as well. What school did you go to? Didn't that school teach you that not everyone in the world is the same?
And FYI: Kids need to learn that life isn't peachy king. When they do get older, and out into the real world and out of the safety of their Momma's wing, they need to know how great of a place it can be, but they also need to know that the world isn't just a happy go lucky place.
Mrs. Nelson loves all children at Crabbe, she has been there for many many years. She is an awesome teacher, and she takes high intrest in every childs education.
Do your homework people, get your stories right, and quit down-grading people because it makes you feel like a BETTER person. If anything it makes you look LESS OF A PERSON!!!!
SURE WHATEVER wrote:
I don't have kids at Crabbe. Never did, never will. But I do know for fact what I said in my earlier post. Trust me, Hatcher was the better school. Not Crabbe. Principle was way better, teachers more loving and caring, students taught to respect and to be nice. Now how they are at home, is up to the parent. At school David Greene was in control. Wonderful man. Crabbe can't hold a candle to him.
FORD FAN

West Salem, OH

#49 Nov 11, 2010
CrabbeMother wrote:
I am sure that Hatcher had some great staff members. I had the privilege of meeting several of the teachers that worked at Hatcher. But as to say if they are more loving? You don't really know that simply because if you don't have children that go to Crabbe you have nothing to compare the caring, loving part to.
Every school has bully's, every school has unfortunate families, every school has a quirk somewhere. This world isn't perfect, our school system isn't going to be either. Brad Greene, Principal at Crabbe Elementary has helped the children of that school succeed. He is a wonderful guy who takes true interest in the education of children.
AND THE CHILDREN AT CRABBE ARE TAUGHT RESPECT, AND HOW TO BE "NICE". THEY ARE KIDS FOR HEAVEN SAKES. THEY AREN'T PERFECT ANGELS. YOU SHOW ME ONE PERFECT SCHOOL WHERE ALL THE CHILDREN ARE SAINTS. YOU CAN'T. CAUSE THAT SCHOOL DOES NOT EXIST.
All of you need to get over your smack talk and realize that you can't change how things are, and that you all are being bully's and your not being very nice as well. What school did you go to? Didn't that school teach you that not everyone in the world is the same?
And FYI: Kids need to learn that life isn't peachy king. When they do get older, and out into the real world and out of the safety of their Momma's wing, they need to know how great of a place it can be, but they also need to know that the world isn't just a happy go lucky place.
Mrs. Nelson loves all children at Crabbe, she has been there for many many years. She is an awesome teacher, and she takes high intrest in every childs education.
Do your homework people, get your stories right, and quit down-grading people because it makes you feel like a BETTER person. If anything it makes you look LESS OF A PERSON!!!!
<quoted text>
Well, little miss ray of sunshine. Know for a fact how it is at crabbe. Didn't go there or have kids there, but worked for years there and several other schools. So don't be telling me about nothing. You have no clue.
Kidding

New York, NY

#50 Apr 20, 2012
WHATERVR wrote:
Don't confuse Hatcher students with crabbe students. Wwaayy different. Different kids, staff and way of teaching. Hatcher had it together. They were a family.3rd grade teacher knew what 2nd grd teacher was doing and 2nd to 1st, 1st to k. They were all in the same book with the same goal. Unlike crabbe. Ms Clemons is an excellent teacher. Your lucky to have her. But watch out in later years.
Wow! I wish "Hatcher" people would get over it! Hatcher teachers have done nothing but alienate themselves because they cannot get over Hatcher being closed. Crabbe is a wonderful school with kids who are treated like family by the teachers. Crabbe staff love their kids SO much, I have seen it! I have found them helpful and truely show they care about the children. There are many good teachers at Crabbe, not just the "Hatcher" ones (and I refer to them as "Hatcher teachers" because it doesn't seem they consider themselves part of Crabbe, which is their loss).
la

Ashland, KY

#51 Apr 21, 2012
Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! I wish "Hatcher" people would get over it! Hatcher teachers have done nothing but alienate themselves because they cannot get over Hatcher being closed. Crabbe is a wonderful school with kids who are treated like family by the teachers. Crabbe staff love their kids SO much, I have seen it! I have found them helpful and truely show they care about the children. There are many good teachers at Crabbe, not just the "Hatcher" ones (and I refer to them as "Hatcher teachers" because it doesn't seem they consider themselves part of Crabbe, which is their loss).


I think maybe you should come to the school for a week so maybe you could get a better idea of what that school is like. The children are rude, have no respect for adults, and the staff does not work together as a whole. No wonder the test scores there are terrible. Due to the contrary "the Hatcher" teachers are doing their best under the circumstances. Obviously, you have not had the environment the "Hatcher" students and staff had. My children were awarded and rewarded for many thing. The school had celebrations to recognize excellence. They had rules that everyone followed. Mr. David Greene was involved in the classroom and made it an exciting welcoming place. That is why many of the students there were succeeding. So until you walk in someone else's shoes, maybe you should keep your mouth closed. Crabbe will have the state department in on them next year due to the decreasing test scores. Maybe then the teachers, no matter who they are or where they came from, will be held responsible for their students and their students actions. Again, go to the school for a few days and observe, then your opinion may change.
Marge

Ironton, OH

#52 Feb 17, 2013
Is there school on the 18 tomorrow Presidents' Day
Crabbe Alumni

Ironton, OH

#53 Feb 21, 2013
I went to Crabbe k-6. Yes, we were one of the "lower class" schools, but I liked that. I did not come from money. When I got to Verity I was often made fun of for being poor. So I fit in just right at Crabbe. Everyone is friendly, the teachers are so dedicated. I have seen some of the most dedicated people work at that school. Its always the ones who are the hardest on you that make the most impact. Mrs. Nelson is one heck of a teacher and so was Mr. Fleming. You will never find a teacher so determined and dedicated as they were.

Saying that Crabbe doesn't prepare you for Verity or that people from Crabbe have a hard time learning later on is very incorrect. I just graduated top of my senior class along with other students from Crabbe who were also picked out for being "poor". So if you want your child to be picked on and become more worried about what they look like so they aren't picked on, then send your child to another school like Oakview or Hager. Crabbe is one hell of a school. I will send my children to Crabbe because I will value their education!
Bobby

United States

#54 Mar 4, 2013
I went to Crabbe.
True

Ashland, KY

#55 Mar 4, 2013
Just read some of these posts. Some of my wealthiest peers went to Crabbe. Some kids, one for sure, was mistreated horribly by Crabbe staff,the social workers had tried to help the situation. Hatcher should not have been closed down and the people from there are bound to resent the fact that it did. It is not "centrally " located like central office should be. The children were typically very low income and instead of leaving them where they could thrive, lets seperate them and bus them all over Ashland so they can really see how different they are! Let's take away all advantages that could have been afforded these less fortunate kids at Hatcher, yeah, that will work!!! Crabbe is old and moldy and the central office types didn't want to have to work there. They wanted that new building. The parents at Hatcher weren't the kind or important enough to change anything. Crabbe was never actually really considered as a location for central office. That was for show. I don't have kids from either school but have grown up in the Ashland system and have eyes to see and ears to hear.
Arnold C

United States

#56 Mar 6, 2013
I went to Crabbe when it was the old school.
crabbee patty

United States

#57 Mar 6, 2013
I went there
Kelly G

Cincinnati, OH

#58 Mar 7, 2013
I loved Crabbe
momma

Ironton, OH

#59 Mar 7, 2013
My children went to Crabbe and they loved it. Crabbe teachers are the most loving teachers I've ever seen. Mrs. Bradley, who is retired, was a kindergarten teacher that made all my kids learn to love school. I think Crabbe teaches kids diversity and the ability to love and accept all different people regardless of their race or income.
Traci

Greenup, KY

#60 Aug 15, 2013
I absolutely love Crabbe. The teachers go above and beyond. I'm in Oakviews district but fill out the transfer papers every year for my kids to go to Crabbe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donny Prater 9 min Donna 24
Greenup County Deputy Sheriff Arrested!! 46 min Carl 19
Jo Ellis and BloJob Britney fired from BCDC aft... 1 hr Citizen 13
Democrats Holding US Citizens Hostage to Get De... 1 hr Norm 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr another viewer 171,877
NanC PissLoCee is a K unt 1 hr B and M Ob AIH 1
White People 2 hr Norm 33
BCDC Inmate wearing deputy jailer uniform picture 3 hr Citizen 21

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages