Since: Nov 12

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

You are here: Jesus Christ >> Learn More about the Resurrection of Jesus! >> Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas - What can I learn from him?

Doubting Thomas was one of the 12 disciples in the Bible. Another name for Thomas was Didymus, which comes from the Hebrew and Greek words both meaning 'the twin.' He wasn't one of the more well known disciples, but he was popular enough to earn the nickname "Doubting Thomas." He was given this label because he simply did not believe that Jesus had risen from the dead. I too have been a 'Doubting Thomas.' But the experience made me a better person and made my faith so much more stronger.

Jesus appears to some of the disciples, but Thomas was not with them the first time. John 20:25 says, "So the other disciples told him,'We have seen the Lord!' But he [Thomas] said to them,'Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.'"

Eight days later, Jesus appears before His disciples again: "A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said,'Peace be with you!' Then he said to Thomas,'Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.' Thomas said to him,'My Lord and my God!' Then Jesus told him,'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed'(John 20:26-29).

How truthful all this is. If Thomas hadn't been a doubter, this famous saying may not have been recorded in history. This particular saying has helped me many times in my life. When things have been going badly for me, when I have faced hardships and pain, this saying has given me hope.

Even though Thomas earned a negative label, he was not lacking in some very good qualities. He displayed great courage and loyalty. When the other disciples tried to keep Jesus from going to Bethany to raise Lazarus from the dead because of the danger from those in the area who had just earlier tried to stone Him (John 11:8), Thomas said to them, "Let us also go, that we may die with Him" (John 11:16). Thomas also asked Him one of the most famous questions. John 14:5-6 says, "Thomas said to him,'Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus answered,'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

I think I have behaved similar to Thomas at times. I have gone through stages in my life when I questioned God. When I was in college I remember wondering how religion and science could agree. I had many questions and doubts at this time and could have been called a "Doubting Thomas." Jesus didn't have to appear to me and show me His wound, however. But He has showed Himself to me in many other ways.

Jesus has answered many prayers for me, maybe not in any miraculous way, but He has made me very much aware that He does exist. I find Jesus in my every day walk through life. Sometimes I see His humility on a street corner in the shape of a homeless man. Sometimes I see Him walking with me in my garden, pointing out the first blossoms of spring or the pretty fall colors of a red maple. I see Jesus' love in the hug my grandson gives me and when he says, "Grandma, I love you." I see Jesus in the pink of a sunset and the beautiful colors of a stained glass window. Thank goodness I haven't been a "Doubting Thomas" for some time now. I stay close to God in my daily prayers, in my mission work, and in studying the Bible. Now days I walk with Jesus everyday, that way I won't get lost and hopefully be a "Doubting Thomas" again.
Jimmah Jeezus Seed

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Deuteronomy 20:13-14

13 And when the Lord thy God hath delivered it [thine enemies] into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword [and slay them without remorse]:

14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the Lord thy God hath given thee.

Also see Numbers, Chapter 31, where the Lord commands the Israelite priests to take 32,000 Midianite virgins as sex slaves, after choosing 32 of the flawless virgins as human sacrifices, to be burnt to a crisp on altars, for the Lord God Jehovah. All the rest of the Midianites, including little girls without their maidenheads, were commanded to be slaughtered:

http://www.kjvbible.org/kjvbible/B04C031.htm

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
[...]
And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,

And threescore and twelve thousand beeves,

And threescore and one thousand asses,

And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.

The above scripture provoked Mark Twain to such anger he wrote several fiery articles denouncing the genocide, and speculating on the methods by which the virgins were separated from the non-virgins, which would have included manual probing into the vaginas of little children. None of these Twain writings were available to the public until long after his death. They were not published until the 1960's because of blasphemy laws which by that time had been declared unconstitutional in the courts of the USA. See _Letters from the Earth,_ and other Twain writings on the subject.

Since: Jan 08

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

I have heard it said that Thomas was a true disciple of Christ.

True Disciple Of Christ. What is true discipleship?

Silence stood frozen! The unusual vagueness in their Master’s words suspended for a few seconds the breath of His disciples!‘Returning to Judea?’(John 11:7). How absurd is his decision? No sooner did they hear the name ‘Judea’ than horror thundered in the corners of their hearts! It is not very long since our Master and we had evaded the hands of those barbarians over there! Hearing the teachings of the Master they had rushed towards us as angry as wasps to stone us to death! And we had a narrow escape! If we get into their sight, we will be killed! There was no time for further mussings for they saw, in a short distance, their Master walking ahead to Judea all alone!

He was fully determined and optimistic because He had miles to go, promises to keep, goals to reach and a mission to accomplish. None of those disciples could prevent Him from going. But in Thomas, the bravest in the group, was the whisper of his conscience:‘Let not your Teacher go alone…If you are afraid of accompanying Him, why joined His company?…If life is more important for you, why held the hand of this ‘Good Shepherd’ who came to offer His life for His sheep…….?

Read more at True Disciple Of Christ
God Is Everywhere

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Southern Baptist wrote:
Praise God amen! Doubting Thopmas he loved Jesus Christ enough to eventually have faith in what he couldmn't see! All you slackers make sure you attend a Bible believing free will Baptist church this Sunday morning and get right with the Lord! AMEN!
Sad fellow, you will not find God in your dusty old tome. Better you sit under a tree and watch the birds or the children playing, then you will truly know god

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Thomas38 wrote:
I have heard it said that Thomas was a true disciple of Christ.
True Disciple Of Christ. What is true discipleship?
Silence stood frozen! The unusual vagueness in their Master’s words suspended for a few seconds the breath of His disciples!‘Returning to Judea?’(John 11:7). How absurd is his decision? No sooner did they hear the name ‘Judea’ than horror thundered in the corners of their hearts! It is not very long since our Master and we had evaded the hands of those barbarians over there! Hearing the teachings of the Master they had rushed towards us as angry as wasps to stone us to death! And we had a narrow escape! If we get into their sight, we will be killed! There was no time for further mussings for they saw, in a short distance, their Master walking ahead to Judea all alone!
He was fully determined and optimistic because He had miles to go, promises to keep, goals to reach and a mission to accomplish. None of those disciples could prevent Him from going. But in Thomas, the bravest in the group, was the whisper of his conscience:‘Let not your Teacher go alone…If you are afraid of accompanying Him, why joined His company?…If life is more important for you, why held the hand of this ‘Good Shepherd’ who came to offer His life for His sheep…….?
Read more at True Disciple Of Christ
Thank you Thomas. Yes, y'all read "The Gospel Of Thomas". It is one of the best books of the Bible, and is unfortunately not included in the King James version. You may find it online here:
www.westarinstitute.org/Polebridge/Excerpts/t...
www.earlychristianwritings.com/thomas.html
gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl_thomas.htm
Southern Baptist

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

God bless Thomas for finally believing through faith.

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Southern Baptist wrote:
God bless Thomas for finally believing through faith.
"Belief is in ignorance. If you know, you know. And it is good that if you don’t know, know that you don’t know — the belief can deceive you. The belief can create an atmosphere in your mind, where, without knowing, you start thinking that you know. Belief is not trust, and the more strongly you say that you believe totally, the more you are afraid of the doubt within you." Osho

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Jimmy Jesus Seed wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Thomas. Yes, y'all read "The Gospel Of Thomas". It is one of the best books of the Bible, and is unfortunately not included in the King James version. You may find it online here:
www.westarinstitute.org/Polebridge/Excerpts/t...
www.earlychristianwritings.com/thomas.html
gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl_thomas.htm
I own a copy and I can tell you, there are good reasons why it is not included in the Bible for it sheds great doubt on some basic tenets of Christianity.

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Praise God Almighty! Leave the thought machine of the self-centered mind-ego behind and live from the Heart! Christ came for those innocent of heart, the True Believers, not the "learned and the wise" because they think they know it all already. Amen! The Kingdom of Heaven is within...in the human Heart (Soul). Sata lives in the thinking mind. Be of God, live from the Heart! Amen!
Southern Baptist

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Jimmy Jesus Seed wrote:
Praise God Almighty! Leave the thought machine of the self-centered mind-ego behind and live from the Heart! Christ came for those innocent of heart, the True Believers, not the "learned and the wise" because they think they know it all already. Amen! The Kingdom of Heaven is within...in the human Heart (Soul). Sata lives in the thinking mind. Be of God, live from the Heart! Amen!
Jesus heals all scisms. Amen.

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

God Is Everywhere wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad fellow, you will not find God in your dusty old tome. Better you sit under a tree and watch the birds or the children playing, then you will truly know god
And presumably read old dusty tomes of Osho? And believe that the progressive liberal democrat party is the one true religion and that Obama is a savior?
I think not. The Bible is our earthly guide, with Lord Jesus peering through our eyes as we read because we have invited Him into our Hearts and He is One with us. Amen!
Just Be

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Jimmy Jesus Seed wrote:
<quoted text>
And presumably read old dusty tomes of Osho? And believe that the progressive liberal democrat party is the one true religion and that Obama is a savior?
I think not. The Bible is our earthly guide, with Lord Jesus peering through our eyes as we read because we have invited Him into our Hearts and He is One with us. Amen!
"Only the open mind can be ready to listen to something that goes against it. The closed mind can listen only to that which supports it. The closed mind has only one dimension open, that is: everything that supports it is allowed in, welcomed in. All other dimensions are kept closed because there is fear. Things may enter you which may shake up your belief system, disturb your so-called peace of mind; they may sabotage your faith. No person who is a believer can afford to be open.

The real religious man is like a green tree -- in fact, more like green grass. That's how Lao Tzu defines the religious man: he is like the grass. Let the wind come, and the grass bows down, falls on the earth, is not in any way fighting with the wind. Why fight it? We are part of one organic unity; the wind is not our enemy. The grass bows down; the wind is gone and the grass is back again dancing. The wind has been a help, it has taken all the dust away. The grass is greener, fresher, it enjoyed the whole play with the wind." ~ Osho

You see the same old same old. You say you are not that into politics and yet you drag politics here where you have said you wish to post only positive things. Buddy, you cannot help yourself, you are conditioned like one of Pavlov's dogs and have neither eyes to see nor ears to hear TRUTH.

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

God bless all the "doubting Thomas'" who come to have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. AMEN!
Osho Says

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Jimmy Jesus Seed wrote:
God bless all the "doubting Thomas'" who come to have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. AMEN!
"Faith to a Christian or to a Mohammedan or to a Hindu is nothing but another word for belief, and a belief is never anything but a repressed doubt. Every belief has behind it a doubt. To repress the doubt you believe more and more ... but the doubt goes deeper and deeper into your unconscious. Faith in the world of Gautam Buddha's experience is not belief. It has nothing to do with doctrines and philosophies, theologies, ideologies. It has something to do with trust, something to do with love, something to do with being at ease with the world, however it is." ~ Osho
Christianinsanit y

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

JESUS WAS BORED so he went to God his father and asked him, "Dad, give me something to do, I am bored! "
"Take a file and smooth the top of the Himalayas," said God.
After 7,000 years Jesus came back again. "And now what can I do?" he asked God again.
God gave him a spoon and told him to empty the Indian Ocean.
After 7,000 years, he was back again. "It's done... and now?" he asked God.
Tired, God looked at him and said, "Listen, Jesus, go down to Earth and convince the men down there to love each other. That will keep you busy for eternity!"
Fletcher Free Will

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

We pray that the atheists from up north will come to their senses and find the Lord Jesus this Sunday morning. Now remember to go to a Bible believing church...that means Southern Baptist.
Ronnie Raygun

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Ronald Reagan and George Bush go hiking together in the Montana mountains. They have been walking all day, discussing the forthcoming presidential election, and Ronald is giving George lots of advice about how to wear his make-up and look good on TV.

Suddenly they look up and see a huge grizzly bear coming over the hill towards them. Immediately, Bush reaches into his pack and pulls out a pair of running shoes. Then he starts taking off his hiking boots, and putting on the sneakers.

"Hey," says Ronald, nervously. "You don't think you can outrun that grizzly bear, do you?"
"I don't have to," says Bush, with a grin. "I just have to outrun you!"
Thomas Marxgun

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

I can assure you Thomas never doubted his love and allegience to Karl Marx.
San Mateo

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Three Proofs that Jesus was Greek
1. He talked with his hands
2. He had wine with every meal
3. He worked in the building trades
Tom Shenanigan

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Thomas Marxgun wrote:
I can assure you Thomas never doubted his love and allegiance to Karl Marx.
A friend writes:

Tom,I have an idea. Flood Topix with truth and positive posts. Drown out the trolls with the truth. And I DO sincerely like Osho's quotes. I occasionally put them on my FB page and website. Peace. Be Still.

Wow, what a great idea. When we gonna start?

"The ultimate enlightenment means the ultimate dissolution of the ego, the ultimate disappearance of the individual."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Asheville Forum right now

Search the Asheville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 127,192
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 2 hr State of Florida 49,451
Where's Pissant Buncy Been? 3 hr Larry The Pansy 8
HATEFUL LIBERAL DEMOCRAT COMMENTs 3 hr State of Florida 2
Smoking Pot Harms Your Brain & Causes Liberalism 9 hr Jayson Bugged 9
What Happened To Mountain Xpress Forums? (Mar '11) 9 hr Stevie Shamefelt 895
Can You Spot The Racist, Homophobic Anti-Semit... 16 hr Red Square 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Asheville Jobs

•••
•••