“Information is dangerous”

Since: Mar 08

Danville, Kentucky

#1 Mar 3, 2009
I worked in Black mountain years ago. We used to go to a Pizza place in Asheville. It looked like the Drive In from American Graffitti. A Greek man named Ike ran the place, his sons ran it with him. Best Pizza I ever ate. Is it still there? I cannot remember the name. We just called it Ike's. Just curious. I loved the place so much.
Drew

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jan 30, 2013
I remember it too. I have goggled so many combinations. I can't even remember the location, exit, or anything. Ike used to come out and play a Greek instrument. I went when I was in High School in there 90s.
Spanielman wrote:
I worked in Black mountain years ago. We used to go to a Pizza place in Asheville. It looked like the Drive In from American Graffitti. A Greek man named Ike ran the place, his sons ran it with him. Best Pizza I ever ate. Is it still there? I cannot remember the name. We just called it Ike's. Just curious. I loved the place so much.
Drew

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Found this somewhere else
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Where-should-I...

RE: Where should I eat in Asheville, N. Carolina Wed, 04/16/03 6:10 PM (permalink)
Sauceman, you are right 3 Brothers is a great spot. Asheville used to have a ton of Greek places, including The Athens,Dennis Deli and The Happy Hill. A lot of those old line joints are gone now. The last time I was home I had breakfast at the Parkway Cafe. It is still as good as it was years ago. Fantastic hash browns, low prices and a decor that hasn't changed in 25 years. Boston Pizza on Merrimon still has some great Greek salads and good pizza. I also like Max's Celebrity Deli in Downtown A-ville.

Defintely not Greek, but owned by a Turk, was Ike's. It's been gone for about 15 years, but Mr. Ike has some great dishes, including his own version of the Steak n' Cheese sandwich and a thing called a Pidah, that was kind of a Turkish Pizza. Also long gone are Tom's Grocery, where they made wonderful sandwiches right in the store and also another little crocery in West Asheville that used to make great custom sandwhices. God, I miss Asheville!!
RE Ikes Pizza

Asheville, NC

#4 Jan 30, 2013
Spanielman wrote:
Ike's was at Woolsey Dip on Merrimon Avenue, corner of Merrimon and Murdock, just on the northern edge of Weaver Park, and on the other side of Merrimon nearby was W. T. Weaver Blvd which leads to UNCA. You can google up the map and see. Louella's Barbecue is there now, and it's no longer a drive-in, but the barbecue is great.

Another place I miss that was on Merrimon: Dennis Delicatessen. And the Rolling Pin Bakery in the shopping center on the S. end of Beaver Lake. Yum.

I miss Ike's too.
axamaxa

Mebane, NC

#5 Oct 3, 2013
Ike had a little drive-in in Swannanoa right close to the railroad tracks; it was sort of an secondary out-post from the main restaurant. He served the all vegetarian, original health-food, International, Turkish Pidah . The joint was called Ike's International Drive-in. Yes he would play his bouzouki and he was pretty good at it: running fast Phrygian dominant scales all up and down the neck while tremolo-picking. We went there, though, to hear his Philosophy about Living Energy, most of all. Ike would teach us all about his well developed theories about Life being all Energetics; that physical objects were just energy vibrations and that people were composed of energy-bodies. Students from Montreat-Anderson College would come down from the mountain on Friday nights to hear him teach and play. I wonder what Ike's real name was and does he have any family left in the area?
Boston

Greenville, SC

#6 Saturday Nov 19
axamaxa wrote:
Ike had a little drive-in in Swannanoa right close to the railroad tracks; it was sort of an secondary out-post from the main restaurant. He served the all vegetarian, original health-food, International, Turkish Pidah . The joint was called Ike's International Drive-in. Yes he would play his bouzouki and he was pretty good at it: running fast Phrygian dominant scales all up and down the neck while tremolo-picking. We went there, though, to hear his Philosophy about Living Energy, most of all. Ike would teach us all about his well developed theories about Life being all Energetics; that physical objects were just energy vibrations and that people were composed of energy-bodies. Students from Montreat-Anderson College would come down from the mountain on Friday nights to hear him teach and play. I wonder what Ike's real name was and does he have any family left in the area?
His real name was Izhak (Ike) Korkmaz and he passed away in 2006. He still has family in the area. In the 1980's he moved Ike's International to Grace Plaza on Merrimon, beside Roses

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 18 min It aint necessari... 154,670
News Asheville area has high levels of radon gas (Dec '10) 2 hr Wit Sliman 15
News Cooper names NC governor transition team Read S... 2 hr Muffy Pierce 5
No More Neighborhood AirBNB's (Aug '15) 7 hr frank 71
Arcadia Power 23 hr Dsm98 2
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Sat Panties Hurt In L... 223
News Asheville Holiday Parade hopes to involve audience (Nov '07) Dec 2 Mike Sams 105

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages