Missing N.C. boy found dead in swimming pool | NEWS | Asheville...

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

A 6-year-old boy has died after falling into an abandoned swimming pool near his grandmother's home.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jim

Mills River, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

is this considered boy slaughter? how careless of the family. it's jail time.
local

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

5 hours? To search an abandoned pool 20 yards away? WTF?
Jackson County

Cullowhee, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

huh wrote:
even a six year old should know better than to get in a murky pool. I didnt know bi polar meant severely retarded?
Oh please, are you sure you're not the one severely retarded? Get a life!
Bru

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Sympathy to this family for their loss. May God bless you during this time in your life.

Since: May 07

Waynesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Does anyone know how they determine a 6 year old is bipolar?
Uh Duh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

mlc9852 wrote:
Does anyone know how they determine a 6 year old is bipolar?
I don't think that they do diagnose 6 year olds as bi-polar. I think that bi-polar is an adult diagnoses. I have heard of kids being diagnosed ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and one other diagnoses that has to do with children who do not bond with their parents/caregivers.
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

thats why we have a safety cover and a liability binder on our homeowners insurance just for the pool...

pools are considered an " attractive nuisance "...

Since: Feb 07

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Bless his heart, poor little thing. Sad, sad times for this family.

Some days the news is just unbearable <shaking head>

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Pools are required by law to be fenced off or have someway of denying access to young children. The owners of the pool are guilty of negligence.
Tim

Casar, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Paul in SC wrote:
Pools are required by law to be fenced off or have someway of denying access to young children. The owners of the pool are guilty of negligence.
Try rereading...

See the area its says "abandoned swimming pool"
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Try rereading...
doesn't matter... it still belongs to someone...

thats why its called an " attractive nuisance "...

put 16 foot tall razor wire around it, electrify it... if the kid gets in and dies, it's YOUR fault...
AshevilleLover

Brockton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Paul in SC wrote:
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Try rereading...
“Paul in SC”– I had the same thought… Where was the responsibility of having a “complete” fence, rather than the partial fence the article reported was actually there?

“Tim”–“abandoned swimming pools” are still owned by someone. Whether it is a homeowner, a business owner, or a bank, they ARE, always owned. Somebody is at fault here and I don’t believe it is the boy’s family (unless, of course, the Grandmother is the owner of the pool). Based on this portion of the opening sentence “near his grandmother’s home” my guess is the Grandmother probably doesn’t own it. You might try thinking next time, before you make another stupid comment, in an attempt to point out what you feel is someone else’s misunderstanding.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Uh Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that they do diagnose 6 year olds as bi-polar. I think that bi-polar is an adult diagnoses. I have heard of kids being diagnosed ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and one other diagnoses that has to do with children who do not bond with their parents/caregivers.
"Perhaps you are incorrect? About Pediatric
Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression) is a serious but treatable medical illness. It is a disorder of the brain marked by extreme changes in mood, energy, thinking and behavior. Symptoms may be present since infancy or early childhood, or may suddenly emerge in adolescence or adulthood. Until recently, a diagnosis of the disorder was rarely made in childhood. Doctors can now recognize and treat bipolar disorder in young children."

http://www.bpkids.org/site/PageServer...

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

AshevilleLover wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
“Paul in SC”– I had the same thought… Where was the responsibility of having a “complete” fence, rather than the partial fence the article reported was actually there?
“Tim”–“abandoned swimming pools” are still owned by someone. Whether it is a homeowner, a business owner, or a bank, they ARE, always owned. Somebody is at fault here and I don’t believe it is the boy’s family (unless, of course, the Grandmother is the owner of the pool). Based on this portion of the opening sentence “near his grandmother’s home” my guess is the Grandmother probably doesn’t own it. You might try thinking next time, before you make another stupid comment, in an attempt to point out what you feel is someone else’s misunderstanding.
We had a similar situation in Columbia many years ago when work suddenly stopped on some apartment complexes because the developer ran out of money. There were swimming pools left unfenced and half full of rain water. No one drowned, but my brother was practicing law in Columbia and sued the owners on behalf of some of the residents in an adjoining apartment building.

“8 year nightmare is over”

Since: Apr 07

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Paul in SC wrote:
Those are local laws, and you can not say that it applies in this case, especially from your vantage point in SC
jenna

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

i say the parents should be charged by law,our society is getting to be a sue me country,uuu know
janna

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

You know all this brings back bad memories to me. my sisters son age 7 slipped out while mama was fixing supper dad had not got home from work yet. she heard the tv on and thought little Zake was watching tv which he did most all the time mama was busy. when Dad got home he came in ans ask where is Zack? mama said either in his room or the den watching tv why?? he said no he's not . my sister ran out of the house forgetting her cooking and began screaming for Zack by then some neighbors had come over and where helping.the rescue people came cops came everybody looked every where. they then brought in a search dog she kept taking her master to a old abondoned swimming pool they looked and looked but did not find anything. rescue men looked everywhere around and in the pool. nothing~~ finally the next am one of the rescue guys put on a diving suit just because of the danger of the filty pool and went down. you could not even see him it was murky brown,greenish old water. about 1/2 full he came up and said he is in here. so they got the family away until they got him out. yes the pool did belong to a neighbor nice family. he said he had been intending to get the pool taken out by filling it with dirt. but of course it was to late for our little blonde head Zack but it could save others of the horror my family suffered. the only comfort we will ever have is knowing he is in heaven now. yes the mans insurance paid but it could not replace the most valuable item. a small life taken. I can see where they could not find this little fellow because of the water. I looked myself in the durty awful pool where Zack died.there was seeing him if not for thr bloodhound I have no idea when he would have been found. I hate pools they are all dangerous and should be outlawed because people get very careless with them search your neighborhood look for unkept pools petion they get updated legal care or be removed its the only answer....

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

How very tragic. Sympathies to the family.

“Robert Edwards for Mayor”

Since: Mar 07

Candler - Skyland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

jim wrote:
how careless of the family. it's jail time.
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
put 16 foot tall razor wire around it, electrify it... if the kid gets in and dies, it's YOUR fault...
Man you guys are scary ! glad you dont make all the rules there has to be some limit you cant put bubble wrap on everything !

Sometime bad things just happen and here its hard to put blame on anyone. Kids try to get away i know i did and unless you put a GPS chip in them (hillary c. wants too but thats beside the point) they will get away. And yes the pool should have been kept up but you can sue everyone or take em all to jail

there has to be some level of personal responsibility here, its like blaming a cutlery company for when someone is stabbed with their knife

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

Asheville_Native wrote:
<quoted text>Those are local laws, and you can not say that it applies in this case, especially from your vantage point in SC
The "attractive nuisance" laws are pretty much the same everywhere. There was a 35-ft deep well on some of my property that I never even knew existed until I got a phone call. I had to fill it in even though it was in an area where no kids would likely ever be playing. You can't ever say for sure that children would never find that well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 2 min State of Florida 58,162
tOP 10 REASONS A BLACK WILL NEVER DRIVE IN NASC... (Jan '08) 4 min white man and proud 12
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 min marksman11 135,643
Lord Jesus Quotes (Sep '13) 14 min UnfamiliarPlaces 14
TRUTH That INSPIRES 15 min LORD KULLEN 16
ABIDE WITH ME Oh Lord Abide With Me 1 hr LORD KULLEN 17
Rock of Ages, Cleft For Me, Let Me Hide Myself ... 3 hr Chuckles 12

Search the Asheville Forum:
•••
Asheville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Asheville Jobs

•••