New Web site launched to monitor drought

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

With a record drought scorching farmers' fields and threatening water supplies across the Southeast, a new Web portal designed at the National Climatic Data Center went online this week to provide information ...
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Nov 6, 2007

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Ummm..I am not the best with math..but ya might want to check your numbers.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

According to NOAA records the drought in 2001-02 was worse than this one and the worst was the one in 1936. Somebody forgot to do their research or so it appears from the numbers in this article.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Since: Feb 07

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Ticker wrote:
According to NOAA records the drought in 2001-02 was worse than this one and the worst was the one in 1936. Somebody forgot to do their research or so it appears from the numbers in this article.
yeah, 100% correct!!!!!!! but you know that if their is no rain or very little into the winter, most likely that will change.

“got a wooden head!”

Since: Oct 07

asheville, born and raised!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Ticker wrote:
you might want to consider that there are a LOT more people in the state now than in 1936 or 2002. the demand on the water supply is greater therefore creating a much more desperate situation. more people = more demand. use and waste are much higher now and it's only going to get worse if people don't amend their wasteful ways. pretty soon atlanta is going to run out of water and guess who they are going to look to to solve their water crisis? western north carolina baby.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

gangsta granny wrote:
<quoted text>
you might want to consider that there are a LOT more people in the state now than in 1936 or 2002. the demand on the water supply is greater therefore creating a much more desperate situation. more people = more demand. use and waste are much higher now and it's only going to get worse if people don't amend their wasteful ways. pretty soon atlanta is going to run out of water and guess who they are going to look to to solve their water crisis? western north carolina baby.
Population in WNC has not grown by by any huge amount since 2002. Some counties have grown while others have lost. Check the numbers, I have.
In 2000 Asheville population was listed at 68,886, in 2007 a few over 70,000. In 2004 the 9 county area listed 539,653, in 2007 growth was less than 18%. Not quite the LOT more people now is it.

Atlanta won't be stealing Asheville water or have you bothered to estimate the cost of getting that water there. Atlanta might get some water from the Tennessee River(and that is what the most recent discussion has been about) but that will not have an impact on Asheville. Press conference, televised even in Texas showed the Georgia governor talking about water from SC , Lake Hartwell possibly and from Tennessee but WNC was not even in the picture.

Sounds like you have been bit by the Alarmist bug.

Once again the rain will fall just as it did to end the drought in 2002 and you alarmist will forget about it until the next one perhaps comes and then that one will be the worst one until the next one etc etc etc.

“got a wooden head!”

Since: Oct 07

asheville, born and raised!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Ticker wrote:
<quoted text>
Population in WNC has not grown by by any huge amount since 2002. Some counties have grown while others have lost. Check the numbers, I have.
In 2000 Asheville population was listed at 68,886, in 2007 a few over 70,000. In 2004 the 9 county area listed 539,653, in 2007 growth was less than 18%. Not quite the LOT more people now is it.
Atlanta won't be stealing Asheville water or have you bothered to estimate the cost of getting that water there. Atlanta might get some water from the Tennessee River(and that is what the most recent discussion has been about) but that will not have an impact on Asheville. Press conference, televised even in Texas showed the Georgia governor talking about water from SC , Lake Hartwell possibly and from Tennessee but WNC was not even in the picture.
Sounds like you have been bit by the Alarmist bug.
Once again the rain will fall just as it did to end the drought in 2002 and you alarmist will forget about it until the next one perhaps comes and then that one will be the worst one until the next one etc etc etc.
ok, read this one: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...
i bet you think global warming is a joke too don't you?

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

Actually I was talking about this...

"On Friday, rainfall totals for the year added up to 28.84 inches.“The normal is 29.97 so we’re 11.13 inches in the hole,” explained meteorologist Patrick Moore with the National Weather Service."

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Since: Feb 07

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Ravenz Moon wrote:
Actually I was talking about this...
"On Friday, rainfall totals for the year added up to 28.84 inches.“The normal is 29.97 so we’re 11.13 inches in the hole,” explained meteorologist Patrick Moore with the National Weather Service."
Dont you mean: 39.97 inches??? If not you must have used the calculator WRONG!!!
Lollerkeekles

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

gangsta granny wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, read this one: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...
i bet you think global warming is a joke too don't you?
Since you asked...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Asheville Forum right now

Search the Asheville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 11 min TSF 56,387
WHERE Is BUNCY? 3 hr Facts Are 8
Is ACN a scam (Feb '10) 4 hr BRIAN Australia 248
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Dogen 134,506
Abortion Clinic In Asheville One Of Many To Fall 8 hr Dixie Hillbilly 182
Cecil DWI?!?!? 8 hr Dixie Hillbilly 16
NC mayor hopes walk to Washington saves hospital 11 hr ApePeeD 1
•••
•••