Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

honeybee93 wrote:
The 5¢ charge for paper or plastic at Earth fare actually goes to local non-profit Applachian Offsets to buy clean energy credits in the Asheville community.
Earth Fare is charging for paper and plastic because both do horrible things to the planet and reuse is the real solution.
Wrong. Earthfare is charging for all their bags -- paper, plastic and cloth -- because some DUMB new coporate type is trying to make HIS mark in the industry. He made a STUPID decision that is driving customers away to other stores.

Earth Fare is (1) Sucking up YOUR money for something that is just THEIR cost of doing business (bags); (2) Giving a "donation" to a charity THEY pick -- you have no decision as to what charity receives the money; (3) Taking a nice big fat CORPORATE TAX DEDUCTION for THEIR donation of YOUR money. That stinks.

Earth Fare used to be my health food store of choice. But after this DUMB policy, I'll never shop at Earth Fare again.
mccandless

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

If earthfare REALLY wanted to do something that would "save the earth" from all paper and plastic products -- which honeyhbee93 states do "horrible things to the planet" -- then they wouldn't be charging their customers for a damned bag. They would instead:

- Stop selling products packaged in all that plastic (go look on their shelves and see how much inventory they have that is wrapped, bottled, boxed or otherwise sold in plastic)

- Provide an in-take station for all recyclables that customers bring in.

- Give customers who recycle containers (glass, tin, etc.) money back at check out

- Give their OWN corporate money and personal money (that is, cash out of the personal pockets of individual corporate execs, managers, staff) to their OWN charity of choice that is somehow saving the world from paper and plastic.

Are they doing any of these things that get straight to the core problem? No. They're only SELLING bags to you. Taking YOUR money to use for THEIR tax deduction is a major business blunder.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Since: Feb 07

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

mccandless wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Earthfare is charging for all their bags -- paper, plastic and cloth -- because some DUMB new coporate type is trying to make HIS mark in the industry. He made a STUPID decision that is driving customers away to other stores.
Earth Fare is (1) Sucking up YOUR money for something that is just THEIR cost of doing business (bags); (2) Giving a "donation" to a charity THEY pick -- you have no decision as to what charity receives the money; (3) Taking a nice big fat CORPORATE TAX DEDUCTION for THEIR donation of YOUR money. That stinks.
Earth Fare used to be my health food store of choice. But after this DUMB policy, I'll never shop at Earth Fare again.
Earthfare stinks! I went in there once, and was literally disgusted by the way they do business. Id rather go to greenlife or fresh market than there.
We have a-greed

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

US Biker wrote:
You can buy food at ingles or bilos just as fresh.
Wish there was a Whole Foods in A-ville...they pay you .10 for every bag you bring back.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

We have a-greed wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish there was a Whole Foods in A-ville...they pay you .10 for every bag you bring back.
That would be so awesome!!! We need one of those here. Is there one in greenville, south carolina?
freedylou

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

You're kidding right?
First of all, the money they charge for the bags doesn't stay in the company. The bags cost them 6 cents a piece, you pay five, they donate that to energy offsets, essentially LOOSING money. Second of all, if you think Roger Derrough wouln't have wanted to donate money to a good cause while at the same time phasing harmful plastics and non-biodegratable paper bags out of the store, you got another thing coming. Third of all, capitalism is not the devil. Roger started a BUSINESS which he did to MAKE MONEY. Do you think he just opened a grocery store for the fun of it and to give everything away for free? Fourth, if you can't pay a freakin' nickel for a bag that you should have brought from home anyway, you are a sad, sad excuse for a human.
Learn all your facts before you make such bold statements.
AshevilleNative wrote:
Today, unbeknownst to its customers, EarthFare started charging for bags. Only after standing in line and having all your groceries rung up, will you hear about the new gimmick -- each bag the bagger uses to bag your groceries will cost you an extra 5 cents. No, it doesn't matter if its paper or plastic -- they all cost you, the consumer, an extra 5 cents each. And, oh yes, you will be told that you can pay them even more money and buy their EarthFare cloth bags.
So now, good customers, every time you buy groceries at EarthFare, you have to wait until your items are bagged so the cashier can determine how many bags the bagger has used to bag your groceries. Was it 3 bags? 11 bags? Only then can the cashier ring up your total bill, charging you the extra 5 cents per offending item. No, it doesn't matter that the lines are longer. It doesn't matter that customers have to stand there while every customer in front of them has their bags counted and rung up.
I've been a customer of EarthFare for more than 25 years, since just after Roger Derrough opened his first store. Roger was a great guy; he created something of worth. But the place sold to some undistinguished corporate group (all executives remain namless on their corporate website) and things have changed.
This new policy is the most ridiculous and sleezy way these pinhead executives have devised to suck money from their customers. Its nothing more than a new technique to loose business and send your loyal customers off to shop at the competitors stores. I'm not the only one who'll be shopping elsewhere from now on. Good bye EarthFare.

“Local Blogger Gets Involved”

Since: Dec 06

Republic of West Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Goodbye, and Good Riddance!!!

“Dimensions Beyond Left & Right”

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

freedylou wrote:
You're kidding right?
No, I'm not kidding.
freedylou wrote:
First of all, the money they charge for the bags doesn't stay in the company. The bags cost them 6 cents a piece, you pay five, they donate that to energy offsets, essentially LOOSING money.
Any and all stores in the grocery industry know how to price grocery items to cover the regular cost of doing business -- bags are part of that basic cost of doing business. IF Earth Fare is losing money, they have very poor business sense indeed.

Personally, I don't care who the Earth Fare executives want to donate their own money to. They could have every executive, every bag boy, every manager and every cashier pay out of their weekly salary to THEIR charity of choice. But when they require their customers to also pay money into THEIR charity of choice, they've made a huge blunder, business-wise. That would be like Ingles charging every customer money that Ingles then donates to anti-abortion groups -- because their executives happen to think that particular cause is saving human life, a very just cause in their estimation. How many customers would they lose? Lots. That's why Ingles doesn't do such a thing to their customers. If Ingles executives believe in the cause, they donate out of their OWN pockets.
freedylou wrote:
Second of all, if you think Roger Derrough wouln't have wanted to donate money to a good cause while at the same time phasing harmful plastics and non-biodegratable paper bags out of the store, you got another thing coming.
I graduated high school with Roger. Yes, Roger DID donate his own money to many causes he considered to be good causes. He never required HIS CUSTOMERS to donate to the organizations HE selected. He donated money himself, with his own money, with his own stamp, with his own energy, by his own free will.
freedylou wrote:
Third of all, capitalism is not the devil. Roger started a BUSINESS which he did to MAKE MONEY. Do you think he just opened a grocery store for the fun of it and to give everything away for free?
I din't mention anything about capitalism being a demon. You did. Capitalism is a key system that runs this nation.

What I did say is that the (apparently new) corporate types at Earth Fare have very poor business sense. They're driving their customers away with policies that punish their customers instead of reward them. No business leader in his right mind (or with basic business intelligence) would do this.

Here is one example of a current good practice at work. At Harris Teeter, if you buy only one bottle of something -- bottled water, wine, juice, ginger ale, whatever -- they give you a FREE cloth bag to carry it home in. They invite you to re-use that bag when you return to buy more. They have their advertising on the bag so whenever and wherever you use it, you are advertiseing their store.

At Harris Teeter, they know that INVITING gets them more of what they want that DEMANDING. They know that ENCOURAGING customers (with the free item) brings more of what they want than PUNISHING customers (by charging for every bag). The managers at Harris Teeter who created this plan have solid business sense -- they get more customers using more recyclcable bags (which means using fewer plastic/paper bags) AND they get the advertising while they're at it. THAT is sound business sense.
freedylou wrote:
Fourth, if you can't pay a freakin' nickel for a bag that you should have brought from home anyway, you are a sad, sad excuse for a human.
<quoted text>
Why do you have a need to resort to personal attacks? Wherever you go, there you are freedylou.

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

We have a-greed wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Whole Foods has good business sense too. That's one reason they have so much market share in the southeast. They reward their customers rather than punish them. Earth Fare needs to take heed what their competition is doing to achieve such a level of success.

A local commercial real estate broker told me that Whole Foods is already looking for prime Asheville real estate to buy. That would undermine whatever customer base Earth Fare has left, after its new executives run it into the ground.

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

workzone smartie wrote:
<quoted text>
Earthfare stinks! I went in there once, and was literally disgusted by the way they do business. Id rather go to greenlife or fresh market than there.
Earth Fare hasn't always been the way it is now, workzone smartie. It was once run and managed with integrity and common sense. Not perfect, but definitely with attention to customer service and basic integrity.

Since leaving Earth Fare, I've found GreenLife to be delightful. Very good service, good range of products and friendly as well. Moreover, I've found more and more organics at stores like Harris Teeter and Ingles -- including locally grown organics. If you're in Hendersonville, the Hendersonville Food Co-Op is also a good option.

Roger Derrough, if you're reading this, you started a great thing in Asheville with Dinner for the Earth. I'm sorry you sold to the particular folks who are now running Earth Fare as they aren't doing you or their own corporation justice. However, you've made your mark, you deserve your retirement and I wish you well.
Randy Green

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

AshevilleNative wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Whole Foods has good business sense too. That's one reason they have so much market share in the southeast. They reward their customers rather than punish them. Earth Fare needs to take heed what their competition is doing to achieve such a level of success.
A local commercial real estate broker told me that Whole Foods is already looking for prime Asheville real estate to buy.
This is great news for A-ville and the local growers.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

AshevilleNative wrote:
<quoted text>
Earth Fare hasn't always been the way it is now, workzone smartie. It was once run and managed with integrity and common sense. Not perfect, but definitely with attention to customer service and basic integrity.
Since leaving Earth Fare, I've found GreenLife to be delightful. Very good service, good range of products and friendly as well. Moreover, I've found more and more organics at stores like Harris Teeter and Ingles -- including locally grown organics. If you're in Hendersonville, the Hendersonville Food Co-Op is also a good option.
Roger Derrough, if you're reading this, you started a great thing in Asheville with Dinner for the Earth. I'm sorry you sold to the particular folks who are now running Earth Fare as they aren't doing you or their own corporation justice. However, you've made your mark, you deserve your retirement and I wish you well.
retirement at this early age, I dont think so. And did you forget to mention walmart??? lol.

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

workzone smartie wrote:
<quoted text>
retirement at this early age, I dont think so. And did you forget to mention walmart??? lol.
Say what? Roger retired as owner of Earth Fare only to get a job as a greeter at walmart?

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

Interestingly, Earthfare is owned by mega coporation Monitor Clipper Partners. See http://www.monitorclipper.com

And within about a year of that buyout, the former CEO (Michael Cianciarulo) resigned after 10 years on the job -- no reason given -- so a new CEO (Jack Murphy) started in January. As well, the long time marketing and sales director, Troy DeGroff resigned from Earth Fare this year too. So Murphy was put in place by Monitor Clipper Partners? And the long time management at Earth Fare doesn't want to work for Murphy? Or the long time management at Earth Fare doesn't like the direction that Monitor Clipper Partners?

No wonder the quality of the Earth Fare chain is changing so much, so fast and not for the better.

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

Here's an interesting article on what's happening at Earth Fare since the Monitor Clipper buy out and the subsequent resignation of CEO Mike Cianciarulo (and the more recent resignation of Troy DeGroff, Director of Sales & Marketing):

"When Monitor Clipper Partners bought out Earth Fare in 2006, some in the industry feared that the emphasis would turn more to extracting profits, and away from building on the authenticity Earth Fare nurtured during Cianciarulo’s tenure."
http://whrefresh.com/2008/01/29/a-fond-fare-w...

Looks like those fears about the new execs extracting profits in place of Earth Fare's original foundation of authenticity were well founded.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

AshevilleNative wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what? Roger retired as owner of Earth Fare only to get a job as a greeter at walmart?
lol, no, no, no!!! what I meant was walmart is now becoming organic central, and I was giving a list.

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

workzone smartie wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, no, no, no!!! what I meant was walmart is now becoming organic central, and I was giving a list.
;-)

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

AshevilleNative wrote:
<quoted text>
;-)
well... adding onto your list of organic choices. ;)
radiovegetable

Camp Lejeune, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

i am sure you have bags lying around at home that you can bring in. in this day and age, you are actually going to argue about "needing" plastic or paper bags. reduce, reuse, remember you canvas bags! the money that they charge for the bags goes directly to a carbon emissions offset organization...and, if you are really freaked out about the cost, they will allow you one "free ride" with your plastic or paper, as long as you promise to bring your reusable ones with you next time. c'mon! get into the 21st century.
radiovegetable

Camp Lejeune, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

We have a-greed wrote:
<quoted text>
i think earth fare does too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Asheville Forum right now

Search the Asheville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 6 min Red Square 56,119
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 40 min DanFromSmithville 134,450
HOMOSEXUALITY & ABORTION ARE ABOMINATIONS TO GO... 3 hr Rufus Apeshipt 37
Good riddance julie wunder!!! (Mar '13) 4 hr Uncle Perv 44
Cecil DWI?!?!? 6 hr Uncle Perv 13
Barack Obama & Larry Sinclair: Cocaine, Sex, Li... (Nov '13) 6 hr Satyam Thomas 83
Oh Where Oh Where Is Shelley Smith 6 hr MMJ 2
•••

Severe Weather Statement for Buncombe County was issued at July 28 at 12:47AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Asheville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••