Gas shortages force Asheville to canc...

Gas shortages force Asheville to cancel city-run programs

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Sep 22, 2008, titled Gas shortages force Asheville to cancel city-run programs. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Comments on Topix forums : Asheville The city of Asheville imposed fuel conservation measures Monday that include canceling all city-run athletic activities and evening programs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Private use

Asheville, NC

#1 Sep 23, 2008
What about the private use of city owned trucks?

Like the two that are driven every day to the Enka Candler Fire Dept about a mile from the Haywood County line and more than 5 miles outside the city limits for personal use.

Is this not wrong?

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#2 Sep 23, 2008
The gas outages are caused by government interference in the natural economy:

http://timpeck.blogspot.com/2008/09/price-gou...

Thanks, Gov. Easley.
fed-up

United States

#3 Sep 23, 2008
Private use wrote:
What about the private use of city owned trucks?
Like the two that are driven every day to the Enka Candler Fire Dept about a mile from the Haywood County line and more than 5 miles outside the city limits for personal use.
Is this not wrong?
You should be thankful that they are allowed to drive them home during this matter or any other time .Picture this ... most of the members of the fire depts. in the county are VOLUNTEERS.Guess what smartass....if we can't get gas and your house is on fire or you become ill ,whos going to come? PEOPLE like you who have no understanding of these things should not meddle in others affairs.Alot of your county fire depts have fuel pods at there depts. to fill such vehicles you speak of.If I was you I would go thank them fellas and be done with it.
none here either

Mcdonough, GA

#4 Sep 23, 2008
I think this is a great idea and applaud the leadership for making this decision. In Atlanta, where there was a shooting last night over gas, I wish someone would take NC's lead and follow suit.
Good job!
Oil man for 50 years

Inman, SC

#5 Sep 23, 2008
What's is the deal with the gasoline.
My thought is that it is a Independent Gasoline Retailers Association in this area is causing demand in order to inflate prices over the next few months.
Asheville Native

Marshall, NC

#6 Sep 23, 2008
Got Gas??
No spin

Fairview, NC

#7 Sep 23, 2008
timpeck wrote:
The gas outages are caused by government interference in the natural economy:
http://timpeck.blogspot.com/2008/09/price-gou...
Thanks, Gov. Easley.
That logic suggests that the failure of stock brokerages and banks was due to "government interference" and the 700 billion dollar bailout was the government's fault. Funny, I haven't read a single serious analyst who would agree with your thinking. So industry GREED doesn't drive failures?
Are you CRAZY

United States

#8 Sep 23, 2008
This is actually a GOOD IDEA. Now if the citizens would stop UNnecessary driving, it would not be ad bad as it is now.
Whatever

Asheville, NC

#9 Sep 23, 2008
Buncombe County Emergency Management Director Jerry VeHaun said the current shortage might be even worse than the one that followed Hurricane Katrina.

Um, what shortage after Katrina? There wasn't one that I noticed.
Are you CRAZY

United States

#10 Sep 23, 2008
Whatever wrote:
Buncombe County Emergency Management Director Jerry VeHaun said the current shortage might be even worse than the one that followed Hurricane Katrina.
Did you have your eyes closed?
Laura

Greenville, SC

#11 Sep 23, 2008
Whatever wrote:
For a brief moment I thought the same thing but then I remembered that the city schools were closed and I was stuck at home with the kids for a while so I wasn't "feeling it". But then again, ten days after Katrina, it seems that we were in better shape than we are now.
Mary

Boiling Springs, SC

#12 Sep 23, 2008
There was shortages after Katrina for a few days, but I don't recall no one having gas to sell, it just went sky high in price. But, no, 10 days later we were in much better shape. Even when Francis and Ivan hit and caused all the flooding here, not to mention what they did to the gultf, there wasn't this big of a problem either.
marion shaw

Maxton, NC

#13 Sep 25, 2008
It only takes eight hours to get from Asheville
to Northern Va. where my children tell me there
is no gas shortage. There is no rational logic in
this situation: if trucks can bring in food from
California, why can't they bring in gas from the
neighboring state of Virginia? Moreover, my brother
in law who is a judge in Ohio said he found it very
strange why this has not made the national news
as he had heard nothing until I called him. There
should be a consistent rational explanation by
government authorities as to what is going on.
Whatever

Asheville, NC

#14 Sep 25, 2008
Are you CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>Did you have your eyes closed?
No lines, no outages. The price went up. That was all.
shyann

AOL

#15 Sep 25, 2008
Actualy we had a huge gas shortage after katrina. i manage 4 stores and we did run out for several days. But the problem was soon fixed. didnt last anywhere near as long. BUT...... the people are what is causing this problem now. If asheville would stop freaking out and attacking the gas tankers as soon as they pull in to drop gas, we would be fine. People are not letting the stores get stocked back up. Your just wasting gas out looking for more gas when u can set at home and give the stores time to get thier deliverys.
shyann

AOL

#16 Sep 25, 2008
Oh yeah, one more thing, they have brought in gas from other states, but like i said before, people are following the tankers down the interstate and and pulling up to gas pumps before truck even gets stopped. SO STUPID. we had a 3 mile backup in less then 10 minutes and the poor gas driver hadnt even got his hoses ran into the ground to drop it yet.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#17 Sep 26, 2008
Asheville Native wrote:
Got Gas??
Got Beano?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 47 min Don Barros Serrano 151,316
Asheville Apartments! 1 hr FDB794 8
we are able to change portion of racism now! we... 11 hr Noonecantstopme354 1
rednecks are taking over asheville! 12 hr Noonecantstopme354 20
creepy stalker Sat nobody 3
hillary's lie about coming under fire overseas ... Jun 25 HilLiary Clintoon 2
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Jun 25 Paddling has its ... 197
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages