Who to blame in Parkside mess? How about commissioners?

There are 20 comments on the Aug 10, 2008, Asheville Citizen-Times story titled Who to blame in Parkside mess? How about commissioners?. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Comments on Topix forums : From a journalistic standpoint, the Stewart Coleman-Parkside Condos imbroglio is one generous story - it just keeps giving and giving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jon

Hickory, NC

#1 Aug 10, 2008
The best thing to do is vote against the incumbent commissioners in the next election. These people have been in office way to long.
The Paris of the South

United States

#2 Aug 11, 2008
Talking about the duty of commissioners , Boyle is right , however the election will not change much this year . The primary were the possibilities to create changes at that level , but we failed . The same kind of commissioners will be elected in November . Peterson , and Stanley will probably be replaced by the same kind of breakers . No hope there jon. Boyle forgot to mention the different boards they listen to before voting.
We need to slow down the process and replace complacency and party chess pieces by real scrutiny player if we want to live in a County with fresh air and water tomorrow.
BTW / Calling the group who wants to save the park "wicans" is just playing the coleman gang rhetoric . I would call Coleman/Bissett the MAFIA 2008 ....to be precise .
David Scott

AOL

#3 Aug 11, 2008
The City has as much to do with this as the County. They fail to respond to the cries of the County.

“Trust the Brits?Ask the Irish!”

Since: Dec 07

Dublin

#4 Aug 11, 2008
Boyle writes so much better when he is not trying to be funny.
City Council failed

Hendersonville, NC

#5 Aug 11, 2008
First off, Coleman is not wrong in his comments about the wild dancing around the tree and his comments. He spoke his mind and there is nothing that needs changing there. If more would do that more would be understood.

Next, Coleman is in business and he is no different from any one else in business, the point is to make the money. If he has money that is becasue he worked and got it unlike some in the city who sponge off the City to get their money.

Council failed to speak in a timely manner and to act in the same timely manner. Council is always too busy tending to the personal things they see as government things, giving gifts to their favorite charities and jaunting around the country to places like Detroit to make names for themselves.

Council has once again, failed to do their job. They need to be kicked out not the Commissioners.

“Scrutiny Fooligans”

Since: Jun 08

Moscow

#6 Aug 11, 2008
How dare Mr Boyle blame anybody but Coleman, doesn't he read my blog?

Why pick on my buddy David Gantt, He's the only one to think I'm important enough to reply to my emails.

I don't like the way Boyle writes, its too logical and truthful.

later y'all
jpcs

Casar, NC

#7 Aug 11, 2008
So, when the county commissioners screw up and make shady deals, the only thing the citizens can do is threaten to NOT vote for them the next election? THis is a mess, but I think we should demand that the county commissioners give Mr. Coleman the money back for the land sale. He should get enough extra to cover the expenses he has had regarding this illegal undercover deal.
The commissioners should have to pay US back every dime that the taxpayers have spend to clean up their screw up! Not with our tax money, but out of pocket money. I think that will remind them and the next commissioners that will get in office to remember that it's not THEIR money that they are playing with, but hard working taxpayers money! As far as city council goes, I don't know why we're screaming at them. What did they do? I really want to know. Please explain
seen some

Asheville, NC

#8 Aug 11, 2008
Don't see how the county commissiioners can sell the property and it ends up being the city that has to clean up the mess. Why should the city have any responsiblity for this at all. BTW, ONLY the County received any money for this sale of the property.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#9 Aug 11, 2008
City Council failed wrote:
Next, Coleman is in business and he is no different from any one else in business, the point is to make the money.
Any business is to make money and no one is faulting Coleman over his speculation, but as any business---sometimes you just have to pull your britches up and make do with what you have or have not.

No one is arguing the Hayes Hobson site---it's the speck of property that is in dispute of Pack's gift to the people. Yes, the commisioners have admitted to screwing up, but Coleman has made no improvements to the property as of yet. So what is the hang up with Coleman?

Speculation is a gamble. The commisioners need to go ahead and buy back that property in question and Coleman still comes out with a sweet deal. That sums it up.

Since: Jan 08

Newton, NC

#10 Aug 11, 2008
{sent to John Boyle}

Hi Mr. Boyle,

I'm a lowly blogger, but I thought I'd let you know you got a fact wrong in your column.

The County Commission did not add the land sale to a consent agenda at the Nov. 21, 2006 meeting. The sale was added to the regular agenda and came up for discussion during that meeting. There was no public notice of the agenda item, however, and the sale was characterized as the Old Jail.

You can see a shortened video of exactly what happened here:

http://www.scrutinyhooligans.us/...

The Mtn. Xpress also ran this video at their online edition.

While this, like your column, is a matter of opinion, there's room for more than one villain in this story. The Parkside condos will go up in front of City Hall, not next to it. If Coleman goes ahead and moves the thing thirty feet north as he's threatened unless government gives him his easements, then the condominiums will be about halfway in front of our iconic City Hall.

I hear you about the Commissioners, but Coleman is the poster child for bad development in this town after this debacle. Only the City has behaved well, and it may end up being up to them to correct the errors of the County and Coleman.

Newton, NC

#11 Aug 11, 2008
It's unfortunate that Boyle, like the Coleman apologists, boiled the opposition down to a couple of wiccans. Since Mr. Boyle didn't mention them, I guess I'll have to do it again.

The groups that oppose this project include:

The Asheville Downtown Association
The Asheville Tree Commission
Asheville’s Democracy For America
People Advocating Real Conservancy
Mountain Voices Alliance
Buncombe County Democratic Party
The Editorial Board of the Asheville Citizen-Times
Buncombe County Green Party
Asheville City Council
Buncombe County Commissioners in a recent resolution
Western North Carolina Alliance
The Preservation Society of Asheville and Buncombe County
Pack Square Conservancy
Coven Oldenwilde

And there are over 7,000 signatures on the PARC/Mountain Voices Alliance calling for the use of eminent domain.

Newton, NC

#12 Aug 11, 2008
Lastly,

For a primer on eminent domain, you can click here:

http://www.scrutinyhooligans.us/...

“Ancient Warrior”

Since: Jul 08

Rutherford, New Jersey

#13 Aug 11, 2008
Somebody help me with this. My understanding is that the land was gifted by Pack with the stipulation that it would go back to the Pack family if not kept as park property for the enjoyment of the people of this city and county. If that is true then the title is clouded and the sale is invalid. It is the purchaser's responsibility to research that. That's what title insurance is all about. So, if Mr. Coleman loses some cash because of that, that's just bad diligence on his part. He knows that and knows that if he pushes ahead it will get to a point of fait accompli.. too late to preserve what people are trying to preserve. The Tree is an issue with a lot of us who dont have time to stand around downtown and I respect those who commit themselves to the dimwitted response of those such as Mr. Coleman. Once the tree is cut it will be too late to restore that error. And it is an incredibly beautiful landmark. Those that do not understand are unfortunate. All one has to do to understand is read THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS, written by a CIA polygraph expert whose name I do not recall.
And characterizing the "protestors" as Wiccan is also very misleading. Most readers, I'm sure, do not have a clue what the Wiccan religion, belief system, is all about. Wiccans respet ALL life.. including those not human. That belief/practice is common to many other religions, Native American, Buddhist, Shinto and many others. And how difficult is that to understand. Without the other life forms we humans do not have life.
This issue is a call for all of us to slow down and stop the destructive way we are living, mostly all excused by the hunt for the Almighty Dollar.
Dr. Seuss was right. Someday developers will cut the last tree and we will all be standing there watching.
Southern B

Moorefield, WV

#14 Aug 11, 2008
I am wondering why no arrest have been made on those camping out under the tree. If the property was owned by the government there would be an arrest. Coleman has every right to have them removed.

“Scrutiny Fooligans”

Since: Jun 08

Moscow

#15 Aug 11, 2008
One more thing,

Here is a primer on Disc Golf:

http://www.pdga.com/
Judge me

Casar, NC

#16 Aug 11, 2008
Who's to blame. I think the clowns around Asheville are to blame. He bought the land the tree is on he owns it. Cut it down and bring on the jobs. As for the witch, what an embarrassment to the community. This area needs jobs and growth of all types no matter where they are. Why do all the people around here listen to these clowns and vagrants in Asheville. Like I said, sweep them to Charlotte and bring on the jobs.

Leave the commissioners alone, they have to deal with the clowns and vagrants on a daily bases not just in the city of Asheville.
Blame Game

Asheville, NC

#17 Aug 11, 2008
While we are looking for persons to blame how about WANDA GREENE. She offered to sell the land to Coleman, and was not smart enough, even with all her years in Buncombe County, to realize (or care) that there would be a public outcry. The property was presented to the commissioners as an alley and the old (worthless)jail. She is the Chief Executive responsible for informing the commissioners on what they should know about everything they vote on. They evidently trusted the wrong person. If someone looses a job over this, it should be her. Her incompetence is at the root of this mess.

Since: Mar 07

Asheville

#18 Aug 11, 2008
Judge me wrote:
Who's to blame. I think the clowns around Asheville are to blame. He bought the land the tree is on he owns it. Cut it down and bring on the jobs. As for the witch, what an embarrassment to the community. This area needs jobs and growth of all types no matter where they are. Why do all the people around here listen to these clowns and vagrants in Asheville. Like I said, sweep them to Charlotte and bring on the jobs.
Leave the commissioners alone, they have to deal with the clowns and vagrants on a daily bases not just in the city of Asheville.
Too stupid to be believed.
Don Yelton

Asheville, NC

#19 Aug 11, 2008
I had to read the comments and I wanted to remind the people you will not be able to throw out all of the commissioners. The chair will be one of the sitting commissioners now.

If the commissioners made a mistake and they did- you will have one on the board that did not make it plain what was being done.

There are some folks running for commissioners that have pushed for open government from day one and will continue to do that...

The tree is just a symptom of a bigger problem-closed door meetings just like the water deal which included both commissioners and city council...

wake up people --we the people are to blame for the problem. we spend our time fighting each other instead of the bad actions of elected office holders. I am waiting for someone to come forward and spill the beans about the whole deal...

I think Cecil Bothwell was headed in the right direction when he addressed the Old Hayes and Hopson Building.

He might just have been in the finals if someone had not by design threw the election. Cecil knows that to..

We must take principles over party to coin a phrase that Carl Mumpower uses.
local

Lincolnton, NC

#20 Aug 11, 2008
Prince Robert wrote:
...Wiccans respet ALL life.. including those not human. That belief/practice is common to many other religions, Native American, Buddhist, Shinto and many others. And how difficult is that to understand...
Well, sir, when I see ANY of these folks publicly protesting about the murders at the local abortion mill, I will change my opinion of their current antics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name 3 reasons why Asheville sucks (Jul '11) 8 min Bruce 34
Wal mart drama 11 min Thomas 5
Retired Folks : What Did You Do When Working? 16 min Fred Barrington 1
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Chimney1 141,287
News Officers search for inmate who escaped Greene C... 23 hr ApePeeD 1
News Public perspectives on Corridor K (May '11) Sat Native 10
Jim Robert's group (Dec '10) Sat Adam 2
More from around the web

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]