Doctors say NC board isn't fair

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

RALEIGH Treating autistic children using a controversial technique brought Dr. James Biddle under scrutiny from state regulators.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated May 13, 2009

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 13, 2009
 
Perhaps Dr. Biddle has published his treatment for autism, who knows. Most of us don't read medical journals. There's a whole lot of difference between a surgeon who attempts to operate while impaired, and a physician who is enjoying a modicum of success with an alternative treatment for a certain disorder. The medical board appears to enjoy flexing its collective muscles and making life difficult for the doctor, no matter what the complaint. The medical board is there for the protection of the public, but it would appear that more oversight is needed, and more evidence of wrongdoing is needed before they censure a doctor. Having to hire an attorney just to defend oneself against a medical board complaint is ludicrous and plays to the legal profession, not the medical profession. The doctor in question should and must be allowed to face his accusers--the medical board--and must be allowed to present colleagues to speak in his/her behalf. It sounds like the medical board enjoys making the life of a suspect physician difficult before all the evidence of wrongdoing is in.

Since: Oct 08

Candler, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 13, 2009
 
"Doctors have been forced to sign agreements to stop practicing alternative techniques, said the group's lobbyist, Janis Ramquist".

I WANT the medical board to hold doctors accountable, but at the same time, if I have a terminal illness and the traditional means of treatment have not been effective, I would want the option of alternative treatment. At one time, doctors practicing homeopathy were treated in a like manner.
Jackson County

Waynesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 13, 2009
 
Dr. Granny tried to practice integrative medicene on the Beverly Hillbillies and got the same harrassment from the medical community.
Rebecca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 13, 2009
 
The NC Medical Board is known throughout the country as being ultra-conservative. This is not about a small group of people objecting. This is about the NCMB abusing their authority. The docs don't have the same rights as you would in a courtroom, their professional lives are at the mercy of this board, who are known to be prejudiced against alternative medicine. They drove out Dr. George Guess years ago. They don't make it easy to find out who those 'drunk' surgeons are, I can tell you that, or the ones who fondle their patients. It's all hush hush, unless it is somebody giving a patient B-12 shots. They are biased and unfair.
Brlnbabies

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 13, 2009
 
"The medical board is there for the protection of the public". I highly doubt that after all the years experience I've had dealing with the medical community. The medical board is there to cover their butts. It's a very rare physician indeed who will go against the party line or testify against one of his/her own colleagues. Just look at what's happened in the care of pregnant and birthing women. Any physician who dares question the "machines that go ping" is in for a witch hunt.

Since: Oct 08

Candler, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 13, 2009
 
Rebecca wrote:
The NC Medical Board is known throughout the country as being ultra-conservative. This is not about a small group of people objecting. This is about the NCMB abusing their authority. The docs don't have the same rights as you would in a courtroom, their professional lives are at the mercy of this board, who are known to be prejudiced against alternative medicine. They drove out Dr. George Guess years ago. They don't make it easy to find out who those 'drunk' surgeons are, I can tell you that, or the ones who fondle their patients. It's all hush hush, unless it is somebody giving a patient B-12 shots. They are biased and unfair.
I remember the case with Dr. Guess very well. My sister was going to him until they showed him the railroad.

Since: May 09

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 13, 2009
 
Wiley Coyote wrote:
Perhaps Dr. Biddle has published his treatment for autism, who knows. Most of us don't read medical journals. There's a whole lot of difference between a surgeon who attempts to operate while impaired, and a physician who is enjoying a modicum of success with an alternative treatment for a certain disorder. The medical board appears to enjoy flexing its collective muscles and making life difficult for the doctor, no matter what the complaint. The medical board is there for the protection of the public, but it would appear that more oversight is needed, and more evidence of wrongdoing is needed before they censure a doctor. Having to hire an attorney just to defend oneself against a medical board complaint is ludicrous and plays to the legal profession, not the medical profession. The doctor in question should and must be allowed to face his accusers--the medical board--and must be allowed to present colleagues to speak in his/her behalf. It sounds like the medical board enjoys making the life of a suspect physician difficult before all the evidence of wrongdoing is in.
I was going to post exactly what you said, but now I don't have to because you said it perfectly. I will just add to what you already said, what happened to innocent until proven guilty. I know so many people who are shelling out thousands to lawyers because of this kind of practice.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 13, 2009
 
Brlnbabies wrote:
"The medical board is there for the protection of the public". I highly doubt that after all the years experience I've had dealing with the medical community. The medical board is there to cover their butts. It's a very rare physician indeed who will go against the party line or testify against one of his/her own colleagues. Just look at what's happened in the care of pregnant and birthing women. Any physician who dares question the "machines that go ping" is in for a witch hunt.
Your "all the years' experience in dealing with the medical community" does not have much to do with the subject at hand. You state the medical board is "there to cover their butts." Whose butts? The doctors? The medical board? Lawyers? The public? You say doctors won't testify against each other, but it happens all the time in courtrooms around the nation. And just what are "the machines that go ping"?? And how does a doctor questioning whatever these machines are bring on a "witch hunt"?? Your post is not clear.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Actually, chelation can be dangerous and there really isn't anyone watch-dogging the practices on children, or the long term effects of the agents on children. Most who provide this chelation aren't all that medically trained, either. Many don't even send the lab work to an independent lab for results prior to chelated a child. Because the protocol for chelation varies per doctor to doctor, there isn't any good medical evidence maintained of it's use being effective. Now if a person actually had heavy metal poisoning, any hospital would be able to test for this, and give the proper agents and it'd be covered under private medical insurance. Since most who provide this services to children and do not accept medical insurance, there is no watch dog at all. Also, these doctor who provide chelation to not investigate where the heavy metals source is coming from. Since Thimerosal was removed from vaccines, any child tested positive today could be re-exposed to the source, making the need for chelation long term.
These doctors should be investigated for their practices and protocols.
I BELIEVE

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 13, 2009
 
Jackson County wrote:
Dr. Granny tried to practice integrative medicene on the Beverly Hillbillies and got the same harrassment from the medical community.
You are right about that but Granny was using a little "sumthin extry"!
AsehvilleLady

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

friend wrote:
Actually, chelation can be dangerous and there really isn't anyone watch-dogging the practices on children, or the long term effects of the agents on children. Most who provide this chelation aren't all that medically trained, either. Many don't even send the lab work to an independent lab for results prior to chelated a child. Because the protocol for chelation varies per doctor to doctor, there isn't any good medical evidence maintained of it's use being effective. Now if a person actually had heavy metal poisoning, any hospital would be able to test for this, and give the proper agents and it'd be covered under private medical insurance. Since most who provide this services to children and do not accept medical insurance, there is no watch dog at all. Also, these doctor who provide chelation to not investigate where the heavy metals source is coming from. Since Thimerosal was removed from vaccines, any child tested positive today could be re-exposed to the source, making the need for chelation long term.
These doctors should be investigated for their practices and protocols.
I happen to know for a fact that Dr. Biddle is thoroughly trained medically, and also does test for heavy metal toxicity at independent labs. I'm wondering why you feel that chelation is so dangerous but no one has anything to say about the drug for restless leg syndrome that will cause you to have gambling and sexual urges, or the prescription Chantix to help with quitting smoking that gives you suicidal thoughts, because your not already stressed enough during that time! It amazes me that no one has an opinion about things as long as they come from the medical board and drug companies. When did we decide they were always right and everything else is wrong?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 13, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

They don't give Chantix or drugs for restless legs to children. But those would be covered under insurance.

Dr. Biddle does not file insurance so that lab work would be spendy, and new patients are charged $475. That's a heffty office visit. "Out of network" pretty much mean out of reach. These are the less watched area's and they should be watched more closely.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Asheville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Asheville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Asheville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••