A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down F...

A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down Friday

There are 34 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 5, 2009, titled A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down Friday. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Betty Young, president of Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, will step down from her post Friday but will paid the full amount of her contract, which expires June 30, the college's board of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Obamanable_remar k

Asheville, NC

#21 Mar 8, 2009
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm far from lonely, and thanks to Mr. Obama and his anti-business policies, my 401K performance will keep me on the job for the foreseeable future.
Mr. Obama has been at it for a few weeks, and you thin HE is to blame for your 401 k ???
Skeptic

Savannah, GA

#22 Mar 11, 2009
Recommendations wrote:
<quoted text>
That is @ A-B Tech of course!!
080 and 090 should be the same at any NCCCS institution.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#23 Mar 11, 2009
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they are.
Recommendations

Candler, NC

#24 Mar 13, 2009
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only one "Ross" that I was speaking of and I'm sure each instructor holds their very own valuable traits. Regardless of what institution.
Recommendations

Candler, NC

#25 Mar 13, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they are.
Quite simplified...Thank You. Skeptics never seem to get the hang of an inside mind.
Curious

United States

#26 Mar 14, 2009
Whatever you do, avoid Ashe! His teaching style is pretty far-fetched.
HealthScience_Fa culty-TX

Houston, TX

#27 Feb 15, 2014
The email about the vote of no confidence against Betty Young is true. I attended the Faculty Senate meeting at Central College yesterday afternoon. The Faculty Senate Delegates from all the HCC colleges had a majority vote to ratify a resolution of this vote of no confidence for this President of Coleman College in Houston, Tx.
The atmosphere and morale at Coleman College is toxic and unhealthy. Betty Young managment style is not inclusive, respectful and lacks shared goverance.

The reasons for this vote by faculty to initiate the vote of no confidence process is completely related to the actions and behavior of Betty Young. She has repeatedly reversed grading, admission and progression decisions by the Program Directors and faculty. There is a pattern of decisions and actions that has hurt Coleman College employees and HCC's reputation in the Texas Medical Center.

"It's all about Betty," she does not understand or practice "servic above self." She has not engendered trust, confidence and genuine loyalty of the faculty and staff. She uses threats and intimidation to keep faculty and staff inline.

Has anyome at 3100 Main (HR, Dr. Cook or the Chancellor) noted or question the high exodus rate of Coleman College faculty and staff to resignations and transfers?

Has anyone at 3100 Main (Dr. Cook or the Chancellor) questioned why the Nursing program now has one the lowest RN licensure pass rate in the state (66%), this is the lowest it's ever been in the programs history. The pass rate has been on a steady decline since she arrived nearly 5 years ago.

This is not Betty Young's first vote of no confidence, this inflormation about the management issues and reasons for leaving Northwest State Community College (Ohio) and Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (North Carolina) is on the Internet and public record.

Now this issue is public and will be one the desk of the Interium Chancellor.

Coleman College needs new leadership, new President and Deans.
flag like reply
Need_Her_To_Leav e_Texas

Houston, TX

#28 Feb 21, 2014
WHEREAS Dr. Betty Young became Presid
ent of Coleman College in April
2009; and

WHEREAS since that time the Coleman College’s programs have measurably suffered, and specifically the NCLEX pass rate has dropped to the point where Coleman College’s state accreditation
has come into question; and

WHEREAS Coleman College under the l eadership of Dr. Young has been formally admonished for failing to follow state and national program guidelines;
and

WHEREAS under the leadership of Dr.Young, the Coleman College has engaged in questionable hiring practices, for which it has been criticized; and

WHEREAS at the same time, the Coleman College has experienced an unusually and unacceptably high level of employee attrition; and

WHEREAS Dr. Young has demonstrated a long and continuing history of ignoring shared governance and faculty/staff concerns; and

WHEREAS Dr. Young has more than once publicly and unprofessionally held up
Coleman College employees to ridicule, threats, and the semblance of retaliation; and

WHEREAS the HCC Faculty Senate believes that the future of the Coleman College’s programs and the professional progress of its students are in jeopardy as long as Dr. Young is in a position of executive leadership, placing the reputation of the entire District at risk;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the HCC Faculty Senate, on behalf of the faculty and staff of Coleman College , expresses NO CONFIDENCE in the continued leadership of Dr. Betty Young, and calls upon the Acting Chancellor and the Board of Trustees to immediately take up the matter of Dr. Young’s continued employment in her current capacity.
Need_Her_To_Leav e_Texas

Houston, TX

#29 Feb 21, 2014
The NCLEX-RN pass rate has steadily decreased over the reign of terror of Betty Young. It used to be in the low to mid 90 percentile. The program has had 4 Directors since Betty blew in from the north.

She has constantly interfered, over ruled faculty and program decisions about course grades, curriculum, admission, progression and retention. The low pass rate is a result of Betty Young micromanaging although not qualified (not a Nurse or approved by the state as a Nursing Educator). About 50% of the faculty have left over the past few years.

Coleman College is rumored to have a low passing rate in its nursing program (wonder what this does to HCC application to set up a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing?)

Information received from SACS (the entity that gives HCC its accreditation), indicates that a 66% pass rate for the Coleman College students is a serious matter. It’s a good reason for the state to send in auditors and investigators. The state accredits programs. SACS accredits the institution. If the state investigates, then it is likely that SACS will investigate. If it is verified that HCC has a low pass rate, accreditation for the whole college could be in jeopardy. SACS will investigate, independent from the state, if someone files a complaint.

The trustees should take action, but don't fast until they do. It won’t happen until the downtown puppeteers give the trustees permission to o something.
Houston Community College

Houston, TX

#30 Mar 13, 2014
Tender Foot wrote:
Good riddance "Queen" Betty.:>P
Betty Young is now at Houston Community College in Houston, Texas and worse than ever. Go to www.InsideHCCS.com and read comments.
Interviewed

Humble, TX

#31 Apr 9, 2014
"Don't you know I am a lawyer?" Was how the meeting started off. I thought to myself. If she wasn't a lady, I'll smart the loose tobacco out your mouth. Then restart the conversation. I don't give a f (understand).
Interviewed

Humble, TX

#32 Apr 9, 2014
"Don't you know I am a lawyer?" Was how the meeting started off. I thought to myself. If she wasn't a lady, I'll smack the loose tobacco out your mouth. Then restart the conversation. I don't give a f (understand). The message was direct. She wanted to mark her grounds early.
paka

Houston, TX

#33 Aug 21, 2014
Well, as of 08/21/14 they have fired her... you all get your wish :)
Appalachia

Nelsonville, OH

#34 May 5, 2015
This thread is way old, but she just rode her broomstick into Hocking College for good here in Appalachia Ohio...lord help us

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 46 min Genesis Enigma 163,055
females in asheville nc (Jul '16) Sun Gin Mill 33
BRING BACK Our FORUMS! Sat Jim Bob 4
Where Did Asheville Go? Sat DogGone 12
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha (Jan '17) Sat S Buttler 120
Do alot of rich people live in Asheville? (Jul '10) Aug 18 MissAshe 59
governor wimpie ray cooper needs his ass beat t... Aug 17 Southern Partisan 2

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages