A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down F...

A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down Friday

There are 34 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 5, 2009, titled A-B Tech's Betty Young to step down Friday. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Betty Young, president of Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, will step down from her post Friday but will paid the full amount of her contract, which expires June 30, the college's board of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tender Foot

Maxton, NC

#1 Mar 5, 2009
Good riddance "Queen" Betty.:>P

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2 Mar 5, 2009
I guess what everyone said was true.
low cost burrito

Clover, SC

#3 Mar 5, 2009
They should just throw her s*it out her office window and let her deal with getting it home....and NOT in her college provided hybrid!
Josh

Buffalo, NY

#4 Mar 5, 2009
Ignorance!!! Betty Young was exactally what AB-Tech needed. The teachers are to comfortable in there jobs of not doing jack, other than making student jump through hoops. She get them cause for concern over there performance records, so they outsed her.
Sweetpkl

Boiling Springs, SC

#5 Mar 5, 2009
Welp, our loss is Coleman College's gain. Friday can't come soon enough...
No Grade

Sherrills Ford, NC

#6 Mar 5, 2009
Josh wrote:
Ignorance!!! Betty Young was exactally what AB-Tech needed. The teachers are to comfortable in there jobs of not doing jack, other than making student jump through hoops. She get them cause for concern over there performance records, so they outsed her.
You have no grade, only an incomplete until such time as you pass the English composition course. Usually, you no longer have "teachers" and they are called instructors in most technical schools/colleges. The instructors are supposed to make you jump through hoops so that you may learn what you are required to graduate, of course that being your ultimate goal.
Skeptic

Charlotte, NC

#7 Mar 5, 2009
Josh wrote:
Little boy,

You know nothing of what you speak. Under Dr. Young's plan your courses would have been taught by part-time instructors with no office hours, no benefits, and lower pay. There would have been no extra compensation for an adjunct spending extra time with you, and no administrative concern for your success.

You, and every other student, would become a statistic....a feather in her cap. She would flaunt sheer numbers of students, rather than the quality of their education.

She was actually asking many to do less with her Designed Teaching and Learning program. It was to provide a rigid schedule, canned assessments, and no room to learn from the experience of the instructor. There would be no provision to slow down when a class was struggling with a concept.

If you really are a student, you would have received a lesser education under her plan.
Blessed

Auburn, AL

#8 Mar 5, 2009
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Little boy,
You know nothing of what you speak. Under Dr. Young's plan your courses would have been taught by part-time instructors with no office hours, no benefits, and lower pay. There would have been no extra compensation for an adjunct spending extra time with you, and no administrative concern for your success.
I certainly hope YOU are not an instructor at A-B Tech with your condescending, arrogant, name-calling attitude. If you are, I feel for your students.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#9 Mar 5, 2009
Blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly hope YOU are not an instructor at A-B Tech with your condescending, arrogant, name-calling attitude. If you are, I feel for your students.
Please check out that (apparently) young man's posting. His grammar and spelling are abominable, and he is criticizing in areas in which he has no knowledge. It is not the job of college instructors to make their students "comfortable." It is the job of college instructors to make their students think, learn to write a coherent sentence, and yes, to "jump through hoops." We who are community college instructors are charged with getting our students ready for the world of work. We do them no favors by going easy on them because the world certainly will not.
Skeptic

Charlotte, NC

#10 Mar 5, 2009
Blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
Condescending, arrogant.....yes, I've been referred to as such. It doesn't take away from the fact that I'm right about the intent of Dr. Young's policies and that little Josh knows little, if anything, about the subject (or any subject, for that matter).
Blessed

Elm City, NC

#11 Mar 6, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
Please check out that (apparently) young man's posting. His grammar and spelling are abominable, and he is criticizing in areas in which he has no knowledge. It is not the job of college instructors to make their students "comfortable." It is the job of college instructors to make their students think, learn to write a coherent sentence, and yes, to "jump through hoops." We who are community college instructors are charged with getting our students ready for the world of work. We do them no favors by going easy on them because the world certainly will not.
You need to read the posting. He didn't say anything about making the students comfortable. Duh! Hope you aren't an instructor either.
Blessed

Elm City, NC

#12 Mar 6, 2009
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Condescending, arrogant.....yes, I've been referred to as such. It doesn't take away from the fact that I'm right about the intent of Dr. Young's policies and that little Josh knows little, if anything, about the subject (or any subject, for that matter).
I hope you retire soon and enjoy your bitter little lonely life.
AB Tech Instructor

Asheville, NC

#13 Mar 6, 2009
Josh wrote:
Josh, I think you mean "their jobs" and "their performance" not "there". May I suggest remedial English??
Yep

Asheville, NC

#14 Mar 6, 2009
Wonder if they will replace her with an ILLEGAL?
Yep

Asheville, NC

#15 Mar 6, 2009
Sweetpkl wrote:
Welp, our loss is Coleman College's gain. Friday can't come soon enough...
Coleman College is in for a not so great surprise...
Yep

Asheville, NC

#16 Mar 6, 2009
Josh wrote:
She overstepped local bounds when she censored a prof for speaking the truth about ILLEGAL ALIENS.
She did herself in with those actions and I doubt Texans will warm to that kind of behaviour either!
Skeptic

Maxton, NC

#17 Mar 6, 2009
Blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you retire soon and enjoy your bitter little lonely life.
I'm far from lonely, and thanks to Mr. Obama and his anti-business policies, my 401K performance will keep me on the job for the foreseeable future.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#18 Mar 7, 2009
Blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to read the posting. He didn't say anything about making the students comfortable. Duh! Hope you aren't an instructor either.
My posting did not say he said anything about making students comfortable. That was my statement. You need to avail yourself of a remedial reading course, at your local community college. And yes, if you had read my posting carefully, you would know that I am a community college instructor. Reading 090 is the course you'll need.
Recommendations

Candler, NC

#19 Mar 7, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
My posting did not say he said anything about making students comfortable. That was my statement. You need to avail yourself of a remedial reading course, at your local community college. And yes, if you had read my posting carefully, you would know that I am a community college instructor. Reading 090 is the course you'll need.
All I want to do is recommend "Ross"!--She's The Bomb for 080 and 090 and make sure you refrain from "AIN'T" because it is not in her dictionary!! Gotta Love Her!!
Recommendations

Candler, NC

#20 Mar 7, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
That is @ A-B Tech of course!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Confederate Flag Flap Liberal Screen To Hide R... 58 min Confederate Patriot 1
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr ChristineM 150,603
Whatever Happened To Mtn Xpress Forums? 20 hr Satyam Thomas Hof... 48
DONNA BARROS SERRANO TRANSGENDER ewwwww 20 hr Satyam Thomas Hof... 4
rednecks are taking over asheville! 20 hr Satyam Thomas Hof... 3
Poll Has America lost its backbone? (Apr '09) 21 hr Goodbye Gentry 80
DOES BOTHWELL's D.W.I. CRIMINAL CONVICTION END ... Mon Satyam Thomas 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages