Gangs hit rural WNC, too

Gangs hit rural WNC, too

There are 47 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Oct 6, 2007, titled Gangs hit rural WNC, too. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Gang activity in Western North Carolina is not confined to larger cities, like Asheville, but has also taken root in rural communities, some law enforcement officers say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wes

United States

#1 Oct 7, 2007
GOOD LUCK THEY HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS TO STOP THIS .
Ralph Thomas

Asheville, NC

#2 Oct 7, 2007
A vast, vast majority of these "gang members" are actually pretty cowardly. They can only lurk in the darkness, or drive by and shoot. Come out during the day and make yourselves known so that people like myself and other real men can teach you a thing or two. Gang members can't be men because there are no men in their lives and thus don't know how to be anything but a chickens*&^. You can bet that 14 year old wasn't a "good kid" at all and wasn't "just changing his life around" either. He is a 14 year old menace, coward, and punk. The mother took him there, with a gun and therefore she should join him before she spawns another one. And you can bet your dollars to donuts that the kid cries himself to sleep in that cell every night.
Ralph Thomas

Asheville, NC

#3 Oct 7, 2007
wes wrote:
GOOD LUCK THEY HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS TO STOP THIS .
I been saying for years, round up all known gang members, put them in a large building and give each and every one of them a gun with one bullet. You'd see the coward come out in every damn one of them.
ron in waynesville

Asheville, NC

#4 Oct 7, 2007
That is progress! Ain't it great!
Tom

United States

#5 Oct 7, 2007
give them 2 bullets...they might miss the first time

Since: Sep 07

Asheville

#6 Oct 7, 2007
Make it a Roman forum. Sell tickets.
local and fed up

Lincolnton, NC

#7 Oct 7, 2007
"Some of the gangs are hispanic..."?

Then BLAME the white men who hire them!

If you contractors and factory owners weren't such cheapskates we wouldn't have them and their other criminal family memebers even living here!!!

So, in effect, you are forcing YOUR loved ones to pay the price for the low wages you pay.

I have zero respect for a the white men who hire these folks. I go elsewhere to do my business when possible.

Think about it.
If ALL of us took our business elsewhere, these employers would have to consider local employees and raise the wages to get their work done.

And maybe more of the local workers would then make enough money to afford a home in this area.

And maybe the hispanic gangs would move away.

“CLAN ROSE”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#8 Oct 7, 2007
local and fed up wrote:
If you contractors and factory owners weren't such cheapskates we wouldn't have them and their other criminal family memebers even living here!!!
So, in effect, you are forcing YOUR loved ones to pay the price for the low wages you pay.
I have zero respect for a the white men who hire these folks. I go elsewhere to do my business when possible.
Think about it.
If ALL of us took our business elsewhere, these employers would have to consider local employees and raise the wages to get their work done.
And maybe more of the local workers would then make enough money to afford a home in this area.
What's your complaint? Everybody hires them at one time or another. They work CHEAP!!
Tellin it like it is

Windermere, FL

#9 Oct 7, 2007
Ralph Thomas wrote:
A vast, vast majority of these "gang members" are actually pretty cowardly. They can only lurk in the darkness, or drive by and shoot. Come out during the day and make yourselves known so that people like myself and other real men can teach you a thing or two. Gang members can't be men because there are no men in their lives and thus don't know how to be anything but a chickens*&^. You can bet that 14 year old wasn't a "good kid" at all and wasn't "just changing his life around" either. He is a 14 year old menace, coward, and punk. The mother took him there, with a gun and therefore she should join him before she spawns another one. And you can bet your dollars to donuts that the kid cries himself to sleep in that cell every night.
Bingo! If we could offer any one piece of advice to the general public about these young losers, it would be this. IF they affect your life in ANY WAY... DO NOT back down. Swat them like flies. Put all your effort into their REAL education... NOT the woosy stuff our public schools (have no choice but to) teach them or their absent or clueless parents, teach them... WALK RIGHT UP TO THEM and start a REAL conversation about how there's more people in the world than just them... if they want to get heated... POLITELY tell them you'd like to invite a police officer to the conversation... THEY WON'T MIND!... THE PROBLEM IS that NOBODY is giving these punks ANY PROPER GUIDANCE whatsoever... the stuff parents used to do... teh stuff ewe used to allow our schools to do... the stuff a church community tries to do... BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE - DO NOT roll over and DO NOTHING... This isn't Hillary's 'it takes a village' approach... this is SOCIETY'S 'we're all in this together' approach... and THAT is where the USA has failed miserably the past 2 decades... ME ME ME ME ME!... It's a recipe for disaster... and we're at the threshhold of it as we speak - NOT talking just WNC... talking the whole country... WAKE UP SLACKERS! If you can breed... you WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE for ALL of your offspring's actions... I fear we've turned into a nation of politically correct , feminized, soft touch wooses... and we are reaping what we've sewn.... It's not too late to turn it around.... What is it going to take for people to realize that this country USED TO BE A MUCH GREATER PLACE TO LIVE!?!?!?!... and it can be again!... but not by complaining... not by taking the easy way at every turn... not by focusing on our own selfish needs and desires... If we start a REAL conversation with a 'gang kid who was denied a REAL education' I GUARANTEE you, he or she will hear things as I've mentioned above that he or she haev NEVER openly discussed... that's a shame... parents... IT'S A FULL TIME JOB... SEX=BABY... BABY=GIVING UP AT LEAST 20 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE TO DO THE WHOLE JOB.
Jim

Asheville, NC

#10 Oct 7, 2007
If it's been recognized for some time as reported. They need to be arrested, prosecuted and removed from the streets, the same as anyone else that breaks the law.
Oh Really

AOL

#11 Oct 7, 2007
Another daily dose of media fearmongering
Fed Up

Goldsboro, NC

#12 Oct 7, 2007
local and fed up wrote:
Think about it.
The members of the Hispanic gangs do not come over to work. They come over to join a gang and profit through that. It is not the same Hispanics that the "white man" has hired.

BMcGee

United States

#13 Oct 7, 2007
Funny how this is all 'news' in the last few weeks. I have been cleaning gang graffiti off of the restroom walls in my business for years and years! I hate the gangs. So cowardly!
Truckin

United States

#14 Oct 7, 2007
Head out to LA or another major inner city and you'll see gangs, not just a loose bunch of idiot kids who come from trash. Maybe the local law enforcement agencies should recruit a true gang supressant expert rather than some home-cooked local yocal who doesn't understand the social workings of gang activity. I highly doubt some of the elderly appointed BillyBob sheriff's deputies can intepret signs of gang activity, understand graffiti/tagging, and gather intelligence from low ranking members.
christy lunsford

Sherrills Ford, NC

#15 Oct 7, 2007
local and fed up wrote:
Think about it.
dang you hit the nail on the head...I couldnt have said it better...
Buford T Justice

Lewisburg, PA

#16 Oct 7, 2007
They're just a bunch of wannabe thugs who watch too much BET and have nothing better to do.
curious

Manteo, NC

#17 Oct 7, 2007
Truckin wrote:
Head out to LA or another major inner city and you'll see gangs, not just a loose bunch of idiot kids who come from trash. Maybe the local law enforcement agencies should recruit a true gang supressant expert rather than some home-cooked local yocal who doesn't understand the social workings of gang activity. I highly doubt some of the elderly appointed BillyBob sheriff's deputies can intepret signs of gang activity, understand graffiti/tagging, and gather intelligence from low ranking members.
do i sence a hint of bitterness??
Joel

Annandale, VA

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Stop thinking the State has a monopoly on weapons training. An armed society is a polite society. Localize militias.
mtnbred

United States

#19 Oct 7, 2007
"""Some of the gangs are Hispanic, and the language barrier creates additional challenges"""

Uh huh...and in their time away from the gang activity they are doing the jobs that American's won't do.

Asheville has generally always been a sleepy little town, laid back and very comfortable. Now, she is losing that feeling--so there goes being good neighbors to distrust of anything and everything. With growth such as what Asheville has been going thru, is there any wonder that with this growth comes the 'big city' problems?

“Into the iris I fall...”

Since: Jul 07

Enka Lake, NC

#20 Oct 7, 2007
Truckin wrote:
Well arent we a self proclaimed know it all. Sounds like youre just the man (or woman) for the job! Or maybe you dont have the intestinal fortitude to step up to the plate, allow a badge to grace your chest and make a difference in your community rather than letting someone else, someone who more than likely does not live in your community but is willing to exchange thier life for your comfort and safety, do it for you. Rather than critique why dont you just say thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confederate flag fan defends the stars & bars 1 hr iamcuriousnow 53
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr ChromiuMan 141,877
Please Dont Reelect Bothwell 3 hr ASK HIM 20
One public housing apartment now free 14 hr ApePeeD 1
OBAMA SUCKS! anyone vote for obama and now wish... (Jul '09) 16 hr CULLEN GEORGE AND... 297
How Obama Deceived The Public On Healthcare (Nov '13) 16 hr CULLEN GEORGE AND... 63
SLAVERY FIRST IN THE YANKEE NORTHEAST 1638 And ... 17 hr CULLEN GEORGE AND... 2
More from around the web

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages