Men Face Charges After Police Raid Wr...

Men Face Charges After Police Raid Wrong House

Posted in the Asheville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Jul 13, 2009
Murfreesboro officers responded to a 911 emergency call and somehow ended up at the wrong apartment.

Roger and Justin Chilton woke to a pounding on their door at 3 a.m. Sunday. Justin – a decorated military policeman who had just returned from Iraq – answered the door holding his gun.

The officers then arrested Justin and his father.

http://bbvm.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/men-face...

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Jul 13, 2009
Father, Iraqi war vet file complaint with MPD

...Murfreesboro Police are investigating a call where an Iraqi war veteran was charged with pulling a firearm on two officers apparently answering a 911 call at the wrong address.

Officers Matt Garrett and Brad Premo responded to the 911 call about 3:30 a.m. Sunday at Campus Crossing South to do a welfare check. They reported they knocked on the door and identified themselves as police officers.

Garrett reported Justin T. Chilton, 20, of 2707 S. Rutherford Blvd. told the officers to back away from the door, screamed and pointed a handgun at them. Garrett charged him with two counts of aggravated assault on police officers, possession of a firearm under age 21, possession of a firearm under the influence and underage consumption of alcohol.

Premo charged his father, Roger Chilton, 51, of Meadow Court with public intoxication and resisting arrest.

Attorney Jack Mitchell, who represents the father and son on the criminal charges, said dispatchers sent the officers to Campus Crossing North....

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php...

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Jul 13, 2009
Police, dispatcher disciplined in wrong address 911 call

One Murfreesboro Police dispatcher was suspended without pay for five days after she sent officers to the wrong address on a 911 call resulting in the arrest of a father and son Feb. 22, the police spokesman said.

Police concluded an internal investigation after father Roger Chilton and his son, Justin, filed a complaint about their arrest.

Spokesman Kyle Evans said two employees were disciplined and a sergeant was counseled after the internal probe....

Garrett reported Justin T. Chilton [the Iraq MP vet], 20, of 2707 S. Rutherford Blvd. told the officers to back away from the door, screamed and pointed a handgun at them. Garrett charged him with two counts of aggravated assault on police officers, possession of a firearm under age 21, possession of a firearm under age 21, possession of a firearm under the influence and underage consumption of alcohol.

Premo charged his father, Roger Chilton, 51, of Meadow Court with public intoxication and resisting arrest.

Criminal charges against the father and son are being reviewed by the district attorney’s office...

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php...

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#4 Jul 13, 2009
They're lucky they both survived their stupidity.

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jul 13, 2009
WNCNATIVE wrote:
They're lucky they both survived their stupidity.
Yes, the cops were lucky.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#6 Jul 13, 2009
Zonga Old Nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the cops were lucky.
The cops were lucky. That isnt what I meant and you know that. I meant that the guy who came to the door with a gun is lucky he wasnt shot. Its a stupid move to answer the door with a gun when a cop is standing there. And dont try to say they didnt know the cops were there. The article says that the officers knocked on the door and announced themselves.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#7 Jul 13, 2009
And btw...knocking on the door for a welfare check is hardly a raid. Get a grip.
Huhhuh

Candler, NC

#8 Jul 13, 2009
WNCNATIVE wrote:
And btw...knocking on the door for a welfare check is hardly a raid. Get a grip.
Banging on the door at 3 AM with a gun is.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#9 Jul 13, 2009
WNCNATIVE wrote:
And btw...knocking on the door for a welfare check is hardly a raid. Get a grip.
Dang it, I never knew that was when people were getting their welfare checks. No wonder I have always had to work. I was asleep while they were giving out the welfare checks.

Seriously, if a LEO comes beating on my door at 3am and I asked them to step back away from my door, that is what they need to be doing. I would want them in the light where I could see who they are. If they are unwilling to comply with that, they would be putting their selves at risk.
Shadrack

Candler, NC

#10 Jul 13, 2009
Maybe laws vary from state to state, but I can't see how the father could be charged with public intoxication when the men were in a private residence?
Huhhuh

Candler, NC

#11 Jul 13, 2009
fastsam wrote:
Seriously, if a LEO comes beating on my door at 3am and I asked them to step back away from my door, that is what they need to be doing.
Indeed, you have Constitutional rights which protect you to that effect.

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Jul 13, 2009
WNCNATIVE wrote:
<quoted text> The cops were lucky. That isnt what I meant and you know that. I meant that the guy who came to the door with a gun is lucky he wasnt shot. Its a stupid move to answer the door with a gun when a cop is standing there. And dont try to say they didnt know the cops were there. The article says that the officers knocked on the door and announced themselves.
Anybody can pound on a door at 3 AM and say they are the police -- haven't you heard, home invaders (umm the amateur ones who don't wear uniforms) have tried this trick and it seems to work.

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Jul 13, 2009
Shadrack wrote:
Maybe laws vary from state to state, but I can't see how the father could be charged with public intoxication when the men were in a private residence?
I don't understand the public intoxication charge either.

It seems ironic they charged the 20 year old Iraq vet with possession of a firearm -- I will guess he was home on leave -- Uncle Sam doesn't trust his own military to be armed at home? Do you think the young man was armed with a gun in Iraq?

I don't understand why a man can go fight and maybe die in Iraq at age 17 - 20 but cannot drink alcohol or possess a gun legally at home.
Buncy da Baptist

Newland, NC

#14 Jul 13, 2009
Zonga Old Nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand the public intoxication charge either.
It seems ironic they charged the 20 year old Iraq vet with possession of a firearm -- I will guess he was home on leave -- Uncle Sam doesn't trust his own military to be armed at home? Do you think the young man was armed with a gun in Iraq?
I don't understand why a man can go fight and maybe die in Iraq at age 17 - 20 but cannot drink alcohol or possess a gun legally at home.
Neither of those charges will stick. The LEO's were playing CYA with those charges.

I can remember plenty of cases where the good officers needing a wild card would drag a man out of his car where he was sleeping it off and then charge him with PD.

In SC some cops who had it in for the defendant (who later became a successful plaintiff) made him take off all his clothes as they held guns on him. They threw all his clothes in the river, then they arrested him for indecent exposure.

Lonnie Gamboa was in a room with some of his friends at the Travel Inn in Oteen. A big squad of Tom Morissey's officers came to the door and banged like hell and demanded entry. Gamboa asked them if they had a search warrant. "Yes," said one of them.

"May I see it?" Gamboa demanded as he opened the door against the security chain.

"Yeah," the officer said, "it's in my boot." And he kicked the door open, breaking the chain and driving a hole in the wall when the doorknob broke through the drywall.

When the big arrest with lots of contraband and guns and a large bag of cash and a beautiful University of Tennessee coed, got to court, the officers decided they would testify Gamboa consented to the search.

But they hadn't counted on motel employees hiding in the bushes watching, even after they had ordered them all to go to the office and not stand by the windows because they were sure that gunfire would break out.

Of course, the busted wall and the broken chain were standing by as witnesses too, in case the officers decided to perjure themselves. One of them did, then ran to Jim Freeman whining, and so the DA dismissed all the charges. There was nothing else they could do.

Best estimates are that over $200,000 in bank-bagged drug money disappeared that night, and the defendants never saw it again.

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Jul 13, 2009
That is a typical police story Buncy - how can anybody respect cops? The ones who look the other way or lie to protect their comrades are just as guilty.

The system consists of the gooberment judge, the gooberment DA, the gooberment police, Gooberment expert witnesses, no wonder people are willing to plea bargain, even the innocent ones.

Two years ago California did away with jury nullification, so you might as well say the jury belongs to the gooberment too.

You still have jury nullification in North Carolina?
Ghost Dog

United States

#16 Jul 13, 2009
WNCNATIVE wrote:
They're lucky they both survived their stupidity.
These days, if someone comes to a house and bangs on a door at 3 AM, well, they should expect the homeowner to be suspicious because of all the home invasions going on. Weren't there a couple recently in Asheville? The police were wrong to start with, should have asked if there was an emergency, if they called 911. Police in some areas are getting too aggressive, dang that militarization of Law Enforcement!
Ghost Dog

United States

#17 Jul 13, 2009
Zonga Old Nurse wrote:
That is a typical police story Buncy - how can anybody respect cops? The ones who look the other way or lie to protect their comrades are just as guilty.
The system consists of the gooberment judge, the gooberment DA, the gooberment police, Gooberment expert witnesses, no wonder people are willing to plea bargain, even the innocent ones.
Two years ago California did away with jury nullification, so you might as well say the jury belongs to the gooberment too.
You still have jury nullification in North Carolina?
Over 90 percent of police officers try and do a good/excellant job, it is the 5-10 percent of "Rambos and Bullies/incompetent power hungry Nazi types" that give the rest a bad name, just like in the military and any other organization.
Ghost Dog

United States

#18 Jul 13, 2009
Zonga Old Nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand the public intoxication charge either.
It seems ironic they charged the 20 year old Iraq vet with possession of a firearm -- I will guess he was home on leave -- Uncle Sam doesn't trust his own military to be armed at home? Do you think the young man was armed with a gun in Iraq?
I don't understand why a man can go fight and maybe die in Iraq at age 17 - 20 but cannot drink alcohol or possess a gun legally at home.
How can a teenager/kid go hunting if they can't handle a firearm, especially in their own home, on their own property? Now, you can't even be drunk in your own home according to these police officers!
MsMe

Spartanburg, SC

#19 Jul 13, 2009
fastsam wrote:
<quoted text>Dang it, I never knew that was when people were getting their welfare checks. No wonder I have always had to work. I was asleep while they were giving out the welfare checks.
LMAO
MsMe

Spartanburg, SC

#20 Jul 13, 2009
Zonga Old Nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody can pound on a door at 3 AM and say they are the police -- haven't you heard, home invaders (umm the amateur ones who don't wear uniforms) have tried this trick and it seems to work.
Agreed. I'm not feeling very confident that our LEO's have our best interest at heart anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets Not Reelect Bothwell 9 hr Son of Sammy 3
Local Politics Do you approve of M. Bellamy as Mayor? (Oct '13) 11 hr deano777 11
Local Politics Do you approve of Trena Parker as Director of E... 13 hr deano777 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Tom Apodaca as State Senator? 13 hr deano777 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Carol Peterson as Commissioner? 13 hr deano777 1
News Confederate flag fan defends the stars & bars 14 hr OhReally 41
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 14 hr Paul Porter1 141,815
More from around the web

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages