It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 150627 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#120488 Aug 1, 2013
KAB

Isn't it true that JW are allowed; indeed even encouraged to lie under the guise of "Spiritual Warfare"?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120489 Aug 1, 2013
KAB

Inquiring minds would love to know about spiritual warfare and lying. Can you tell us what your cult believes in this regard.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120490 Aug 1, 2013
KAB

Do you understand a population of 6 would be doomed to extinction EVEN IF the subject were hand picked for maximum diversity and further understand that half of them being siblings is going to hurt rather than help?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120491 Aug 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text> He need not confirm my elements any more than I need to accept his.

His elements are scientific, yours are not.
KAB wrote:
<quoted text> Also, isn't the inbreeding problem a direct result of deleterious genes?

Partially. Lack of genetic diversity is a longer term problem.

We have found genetic defects in remains and mummies that date before (sometimes WAY before) da flud.

The effects of inbreeding become worse over time.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#120492 Aug 1, 2013
Dogen wrote:
KAB
Inquiring minds would love to know about spiritual warfare and lying. Can you tell us what your cult believes in this regard.
Interesting. I'd never heard the concept of "Spiritual Warfare" previously.

"Watch Tower Society publications teach that Witnesses are engaged in a "spiritual, theocratic warfare" against false teachings and wicked spirit forces they say try to impede them in their preaching work.[111] Based on their interpretation of Ephesians 6:10-20, they believe their "spiritual war" is fought with truth, righteousness, the "good news of peace", faith, the hope of salvation, God's word and prayer.[112][113] They have advocated the use of "theocratic war strategy" to protect the interests of God's cause, which would include hiding the truth from God's "enemies"[114][115] by being evasive or withholding truthful or incriminating information from those not entitled by law to know.[116][117][118] The Watchtower told Witnesses: "It is proper to cover over our arrangements for the work that God commands us to do. If the wolfish foes draw wrong conclusions from our maneuvers to outwit them, no harm has been done to them by the harmless sheep, innocent in their motives as doves."[119]"

<<end cut/paste>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses_practices#Spiritu al_warfare

So dishonesty is encouraged in your religion, KAB?

That would explain a lot of your posts.

Thanks, Dogen. Very enlightening!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120493 Aug 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I am unaware of any species known to have been bottlenecked to 3 or less breeding pairs 500 years ago. BTW, isn't it deleterious genes that are the downfall of inbreeding?

Deleterious genes are found throughout the genetic record. We have DNA samples from as far back as 700,000 years ago. We have a lot of DNA samples from 40,000 to 100,000 ybp.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/26/scien...

All have genetic errors in them.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120494 Aug 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently don't understand. You have, however, acknowledged that you cling to that which is not confirmed, such as the possibility that Earth is cubic in shape.

More likely than a global flood 4,500 years ago, that left absolutely no evidence, affected no genomes (even though there was a maximum of 8 living members of any species) of surviving species (even if this seems impossible itself).

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#120495 Aug 1, 2013
Dogen wrote:
KAB
Do you understand a population of 6 would be doomed to extinction EVEN IF the subject were hand picked for maximum diversity; and further understand that half of them being siblings is going to hurt rather than help?
Even switching mates every breeding cycle won't make much difference.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120496 Aug 1, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. I'd never heard the concept of "Spiritual Warfare" previously.
"Watch Tower Society publications teach that Witnesses are engaged in a "spiritual, theocratic warfare" against false teachings and wicked spirit forces they say try to impede them in their preaching work.[111] Based on their interpretation of Ephesians 6:10-20, they believe their "spiritual war" is fought with truth, righteousness, the "good news of peace", faith, the hope of salvation, God's word and prayer.[112][113] They have advocated the use of "theocratic war strategy" to protect the interests of God's cause, which would include hiding the truth from God's "enemies"[114][115] by being evasive or withholding truthful or incriminating information from those not entitled by law to know.[116][117][118] The Watchtower told Witnesses: "It is proper to cover over our arrangements for the work that God commands us to do. If the wolfish foes draw wrong conclusions from our maneuvers to outwit them, no harm has been done to them by the harmless sheep, innocent in their motives as doves."[119]"
<<end cut/paste>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses_practices#Spiritu al_warfare
So dishonesty is encouraged in your religion, KAB?
That would explain a lot of your posts.
Thanks, Dogen. Very enlightening!

You're welcome.

Just the tip of the iceberg. The very tinny tiny tip.

You want to see some of their "art work"?

Or reviews by scholars on their "translation" of the Bible?

You won't know if you should laugh or cry.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120497 Aug 1, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So it looks like your assumption of genetic near perfection back then is on pretty shaky ground too. As we would expect (us non-Floodists), the human genome was imperfect then too. Meaning the dangers of inbreeding would have been real then too.
You will note these are two separate arguments, the MVP issue and the haplotype issue. Neither are helping your Flood case one bit.

This is a great summary of thing we have been trying to pound into his head for some time.

But he has to keep up appearances for his throng of invisible and silent (aka nonexistent) fans that hang on and are guided to the spirit by his every word.

[I still crack me up]

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#120498 Aug 1, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome.
Just the tip of the iceberg. The very tinny tiny tip.
You want to see some of their "art work"?
Or reviews by scholars on their "translation" of the Bible?
You won't know if you should laugh or cry.
Actually, I *DID* read more of the Wiki article referenced http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses_practices

...I need a shower after reading their 'practices'.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120499 Aug 1, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I *DID* read more of the Wiki article referenced http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah 's_Witnesses_practices
...I need a shower after reading their 'practices'.

I recommend something with a strong antibacterial agent to prevent infection.

The wiki article does not cover the half of it.

JW try to "correct" articles about them and their practices a great deal. So in this case wikipedia is probably a little watered down from what you will find elsewhere.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#120500 Aug 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Even switching mates every breeding cycle won't make much difference.

No, not when you are just passing the same genes back and forth.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#120501 Aug 1, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not when you are just passing the same genes back and forth.
Hemmingway's cats have 6 toes. Insular cult members have ______? There might be good and practical reasons for modesty taboos.
LowellGuy

United States

#120502 Aug 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently don't understand. You have, however, acknowledged that you cling to that which is not confirmed, such as the possibility that Earth is cubic in shape.
Sure, it's possible, albeit outrageously unlikely. If evidence were presented that overturned our current best understanding of the shape of the Earth, I would accept that new understanding. Why would you be unwilling to accept such evidence?
LowellGuy

United States

#120503 Aug 1, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no need for magic. Where do you see magic needed?
1: The flood.
2: The boat.
3: The near-immediate predation of most or all herbivores by carnivores.
4: The extinction of the carnivores after they have eaten each other.
5: The comically absurd notion that fewer than a dozen of ANY mammal, much less having all the males be siblings, would result in anything other than total extinction in less than 500 years (being generous with that timeframe).

If magic is allowed as a variable, this ridiculous jumble of nonsense is possible to have occurred in concert to result in today's biodiversity. Eliminate magic and there is a statistically insurmountable mountain for you to climb.

“No such thing as ABIODARWINISM”

Since: Jan 11

No ABIODARWINISTS either!

#120504 Aug 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Even switching mates every breeding cycle won't make much difference.
Breaking up the monogamy might break up the monotony.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#120505 Aug 4, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Breaking up the monogamy might break up the monotony.
Well, they might be a bit happier, at that.

“No such thing as ABIODARWINISM”

Since: Jan 11

No ABIODARWINISTS either!

#120506 Aug 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, they might be a bit happier, at that.
Until a couple of them formed a religion and put an end to personal rights.
Flan822

Lawrence, MA

#120507 Aug 5, 2013
Very simple statement to make here. If you don't feel like you have to defend your stance on your faith, then dont create a eed to thread demanding proof of a scientific theory you don't believe in.

No one has to prove evolution to you. No one HAS to do anything for you. In regards to the age of the earth, if you are so lazy that you can't be bothered to do some basic research on the subject YOU are supposed to be defending, in the antagonistic thread YOU created, then you need to plead ignorance, shut your mouth, and move on.

BTW the earth is 4.5 billion years old, but the argument you are supporting claims it's 6000 years old and you're welcome for doing your research for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DOES BOTHWELL's D.W.I. CRIMINAL CONVICTION END ... 2 hr Fobe Man 18
DONNA BARROS SERRANO TRANSGENDER ewwwww 2 hr J Lawrence Buncy ... 5
Confederate Flag Flap Liberal Screen To Hide R... 2 hr J Lawrence Buncy ... 2
Whatever Happened To Mtn Xpress Forums? Mon Satyam Thomas Hof... 48
rednecks are taking over asheville! Mon Satyam Thomas Hof... 3
Poll Has America lost its backbone? (Apr '09) Mon Goodbye Gentry 80
News Confederate flag fan defends the stars & bars (Jun '15) Mon Donna Barros Serrano 266
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages