It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the ...

It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

There are 163736 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 15, 2009, titled It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#110439 Feb 18, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>It is obvious you've never read or researched "The Signature of GOD" by Grant Jefferies.
It's obvious you've never read anything outside of your mind-set or world-view.
KAB

United States

#110440 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Documentary Hypothesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypo...
Literary historical research is more likely to be published in books (due to the volume of supporting data) and not so much in peer review journals (which are more the realm of science). You are welcome to read the source documentation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/5036.html
http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_pen...
http://www.worldcat.org/title/quest-for-the-h...
OR you can continue to pretend that just because the facts are not in front of you that they do not exist (as per usual).
As your references clearly note, it's a hypothesis (i.e., idea, unconfirmed). Another hypothesis is that Moses wrote/compiled nearly all of it.

Evolution is true.....

#110441 Feb 18, 2013
marksman11 wrote:
<quoted text>You should follow your own advice concerning human from non-human evolution.
That's already been settled. The science has backed it up. We did evolve from the great ape line.

Evolution is true.....

#110442 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one attempting to make a point. Provide specific references which you think make the point(s). The whole Pentateuch does not relate to your individual points. Cite the specific passage(s) which do. Do your homework. Short of that, you have nothing.
Nothing but truth my friend.
KAB

United States

#110443 Feb 18, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if I write a book and sign it "Bill Clinton," is that evidence that he wrote it? If it was discovered centuries later, would reputable historians treat it as though Bill Clinton wrote it?
But, it's different when it's your favorite book, right?
Since you admit you signed Bill Clinton's name, the presence of the name would not be evidence that he wrote it. If your admission survived along with the document, historians would not treat the presence of the name as evidence of Bill Clinton's authorship unless there was a dispute over your admission. If, on the other hand, a document was discovered which attributed itself to Bill Clinton, without your precondition, and without confirmation that it was written by someone else, then the presence of his name would be one piece of the data related to authorship of the document.
KAB

United States

#110444 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He does that regardless of the data.
He also ignores the larger context of his own passages.
Galatians 6
3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. 6 Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.
Romans 14
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.
Surly KAB does not want us to look at the context!
To the contrary, thank you for providing the larger context, thereby enabling everyone to benefit from the additional valuable instruction.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#110445 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody issued the following challenge to me:
"If you have any data at all that Moses wrote anything then I would be happy to see it."
I met it (Deut. 31:9).

You are confusing data with an assertion. Typical of you.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110446 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
As your references clearly note, it's a hypothesis (i.e., idea, unconfirmed). Another hypothesis is that Moses wrote/compiled nearly all of it.

You continue to mistake scientific terminology. You might want to look up the word 'hypothesis' as it applies to science or other forms of empirical research.

There is no hypothesis, that I am aware of, that Moses wrote anything. You may feel free to try to prove me wrong. There are 5 known hypotheses that I am aware of. None of them involve Moses being the author.

The fact that the earliest book of that collection dates 500 years (at the earliest) after Moses negates that as a hypothesis. In other words there is no evidence, as would be required, to support a hypothesis.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110447 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you admit you signed Bill Clinton's name, the presence of the name would not be evidence that he wrote it. If your admission survived along with the document, historians would not treat the presence of the name as evidence of Bill Clinton's authorship unless there was a dispute over your admission. If, on the other hand, a document was discovered which attributed itself to Bill Clinton, without your precondition, and without confirmation that it was written by someone else, then the presence of his name would be one piece of the data related to authorship of the document.

Bad analogy.

A better one would be if I wrote something today and signed Abe Lincoln's name. Actually, since the first book of the Pentateuch was written 500 years after Moses (if he ever actually existed) it is unlikely he wrote it.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110448 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
To the contrary, thank you for providing the larger context, thereby enabling everyone to benefit from the additional valuable instruction.

Which refutes your contention.

You forgot to mention that.

Just saying.

Evolution is true.....

#110449 Feb 18, 2013
List of arguments for creationists to avoid--and arguments to never use--by the Answers in Genesis people

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/t...

Evolution is true.....

#110450 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering KAB if you had any data to support the Exodus--other then the Bible?

Archaeology has been unable to support it.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110451 Feb 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely. You have nothing except hymnal lyrics and a couple pages from Genesis - which "the Darwin crowd" has already and often expressed a thorough knowledge of. So yet again and still, what are the additional facts you have to add to the evolution debate? Piltdown man? Been there, done that and dismissed decades ago. The Garden of Eden? As relevant as a hippogriff is to an airport.
Next?
Genesis chapter one is in complete harmony with physical data, so the Darwin crowd must not have a thorough knowledge of it, or they would know this. Before you suggest/demand that I provide confirming data that every point in the Genesis account harmonizes with all physical data, I remind you that the rational and much less daunting approach is to provide data confirming any one point out of harmony. I would do it, except I don't know of any. The ball's in your court.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110452 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are NEVER the one attempting to make a point.
That is how your game is played.
Who wins your game and who loses?
Bob thinks you might enjoy being reminded of one of my "never" points,

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TFA...

Cringe all you want. I can repost more.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#110453 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis chapter one is in complete harmony with physical data, so the Darwin crowd must not have a thorough knowledge of it, or they would know this. Before you suggest/demand that I provide confirming data that every point in the Genesis account harmonizes with all physical data, I remind you that the rational and much less daunting approach is to provide data confirming any one point out of harmony. I would do it, except I don't know of any. The ball's in your court.
Only if you consider your assertion of god hiding the sun and the moon in his shorts until after he created plants to be in harmony with the physical data. Otherwise, your argument is just as silly as it has been the last ten times.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110454 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>

It is all out of order. The earth existed before the stars, etc.

It is basically all wrong.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110455 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So you assert.
Here's the data confirming the assertion as correct,

Why doesn't your side ever provide confirming data like that?

Remember what they use to say in the Navy? Provide 'em if you got 'em.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#110456 Feb 18, 2013
KAB wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob thinks you might enjoy being reminded of one of my "never" points,
Cringe all you want. I can repost more.

You never made a point. You prove my point. Thank you for the link proving you are wrong.

You don't actually THINK before you post, do you?
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110457 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
So, based on the evidence we can weight one verse in an old book of unknown etiology against the whole of modern science. I wonder which wins.
It appears that they both win since one is not out of harmony with the other.
KAB

Wilson, NC

#110458 Feb 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
IFF all the data is in the bible.
AND IFF the bible is over 100 years old
THEN there is no additional data available.
The oldest (i.e., closest to original) data from the Bible was not "in play" 100 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
governor wimpie ray cooper needs his ass beat t... 3 hr Gin Mill 6
Where is the best swingers hangout hotspot? 3 hr Gin Mill 5
Wanda Greene under investigation by FBI 4 hr Jesse 4
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha (Jan '17) 4 hr Yuk Yuk Yuk 133
BRING BACK Our FORUMS! 12 hr Thomas38 21
The Favorites Didn't Make It 15 hr YukYukYuk 13
Jeffrey Scott Barfield 20 hr Tracey adams 15

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance