Both sides of I-40 closed on Old Fort...

Both sides of I-40 closed on Old Fort Mountain

There are 28 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 5, 2007, titled Both sides of I-40 closed on Old Fort Mountain. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A tractor trailer ran into the concrete barricades about a third of the way down the mountain earlier today spilling lemons and limes all over the highway and closing both sides of I-40 closed with traffic ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jesse

Lake Lure, NC

#1 Aug 5, 2007
wow i wouldnt have wanted to be there on my harley when that thing wrecked. awesome!!!!

“Everybody's Human!!”

Since: Apr 07

Nebo, NC

#2 Aug 5, 2007
What, NO Pictures of lemons and limes on the highway.

Hope everyone involved is okay. lol
jerry

Asheville, NC

#3 Aug 5, 2007
It's a bad wreck. No jokes.
Tell anyone stuck in between Marion and Old Fort that they can get off I-40 at Stuckeys or Old fort and go to the Old Fort Picnic grounds. Turn Rt. at the picnic grounds. Go past the Old Fort Geyser and take the dirt road all the way to Black Mountain.

Since: Feb 07

Asheville

#4 Aug 5, 2007
jerry wrote:
Tell anyone stuck in between Marion and Old Fort that they can get off I-40 at Stuckeys or Old fort and go to the Old Fort Picnic grounds. Turn Rt. at the picnic grounds. Go past the Old Fort Geyser and take the dirt road all the way to Black Mountain.
But they better have full tank of gas and empty bladder. That is one long road.
mtnmomma

United States

#5 Aug 5, 2007
thanks, now I know for next time- took me 45min coming up the mtn from the base of the mtn at the Old Fort ext, coming west- worst part were the number of over heated cars, at least a dozen on the side of the mtn

as for the lemons- imagine what tennis balls would look like rolling down the mtn and you have it

I'm going to get a glass of wine now that I'm home and curse all things small, round and yellow

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Wilsons Mills, NC

#6 Aug 5, 2007
It took me 2 hrs to get across the mountain at 10:00 am. Most of the problems were motorist's trying to pass each other and even flying up the emergency lane trying to pass everyone causing major jams. American drivers are stupid.
OUTSPOKEN

United States

#8 Aug 5, 2007
The driver, truck, and his/her company should be all included in the investigation . Some one bo-bo-bood
1911-govt

Dillon, SC

#10 Aug 5, 2007
jerry wrote:
That's a fun drive. So few folks even know it exists. We used to go down there when we were kids to shoot our deer rifles in. Can you still shoot on the RR property, I wonder?
tfj

Clayton, NC

#11 Aug 5, 2007
When life hands you lemons.......Seriously tho, I hope everyone is all right.
1911-govt

Maxton, NC

#15 Aug 5, 2007
Larry wrote:
biggest problem with the truck wrecks on that mountain is the stupid 35 mph down the hill speed limit...
if your heavy, and no jake brake, you got a hard time keeping it under 35 mph...
some of these fleet trucks have automatic transmissions and no jake... your screwed on that hill...
if the speed limit for trucks was raised to 40 or 45, this chit wouldn't be happening....
Larry,

Do you ever write anything intelligent? Increasing the speed limit would mean more inertia for a heavy vehicle, making stopping (regardless of jake brake or transmission type) much more difficult. Perhaps a Physics class would do you well?

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#16 Aug 5, 2007
jerry wrote:
I heard that road got cluttered, too. Thats a winding road which never seems to end. Glad it was cleaned up before I left for home.
mountain counter

United States

#17 Aug 5, 2007
Oh, come on Larry, I drive this mtn every day, and I can count on one hand the number of big trucks that drive 35. I think the problem is trucks going as fast as I am driving and I drive a small car at 50 -60 mph. If your truck doesn't have a jake brake then take another route if your load is so heavy you cannot travel the mtn safely.
Larry wrote:
biggest problem with the truck wrecks on that mountain is the stupid 35 mph down the hill speed limit...
if your heavy, and no jake brake, you got a hard time keeping it under 35 mph...
some of these fleet trucks have automatic transmissions and no jake... your screwed on that hill...
if the speed limit for trucks was raised to 40 or 45, this chit wouldn't be happening....
MAD MARION

AOL

#19 Aug 5, 2007
Sgt Rock wrote:
It took me 2 hrs to get across the mountain at 10:00 am. Most of the problems were motorist's trying to pass each other and even flying up the emergency lane trying to pass everyone causing major jams. American drivers are stupid.
AMEN
We were stuck in that also. There was a van going up the mountain that had just married wrote on the back. Well when we got on top were the wreck was the HP had it pulled to the side. Good for the cop.I for one hope that they got a ticket as long as my arm.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

#20 Aug 5, 2007
Larry wrote:
" lemons and limes " on the highway... hmmnn...
where's the bicardi, the corona and mtnbred ? LOL
its all gone, therefore it is extinct!!!! LOL
hugh

Greensboro, NC

#21 Aug 5, 2007
Same thing happened 7 years ago with a semi full of Potatoes and onions. We got stuck in the middle of the downhill for a couple of hours. My son was 13 or 14 and skateboarded a mile or so down the mountain to check it out.
Kathy

Morganton, NC

#22 Aug 5, 2007
We sat in traffic almost 3 hrs - ended up stuck halfway down - cut the cars off - met some new people and made the most of it - it was a diffrent experience but I hope it doesn't happen again soon.
McDowell

United States

#23 Aug 5, 2007
jerry wrote:
But you did not tell people how narrow and dangerous that rode is
McDowell

United States

#24 Aug 5, 2007
Respect wrote:
What, NO Pictures of lemons and limes on the highway.
Hope everyone involved is okay. lol
did not see any limes but I did see lemons and pears
X Truck driver

United States

#25 Aug 5, 2007
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
ever driven a big truck ? then stfu stupid...
I have driven a truck came off that hill at 79000 lbs in low gear and never used a jake
well

Wilsons Mills, NC

#26 Aug 5, 2007
no comment at this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr was auch immer 165,408
No Standards Downtown 7 hr Donna 5
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD! Amen!!! 7 hr Larry 6
Favorite Restaurant 7 hr Jim 9
Wanda greene 12 hr Susan Marie Crotty 13
Bele Chere 2006 (Jun '06) Wed Karen 8
Hillary Clinton is a career criminal! (Sep '16) Wed Donna 16

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages