How can you surprise a teenager with ...
Cecilia

Prattville, AL

#42 Nov 2, 2011
Mom wrote:
Just so all you kill-joys know, she DID work for part of the car, she'll have to pay for the gas and insurance and she's waited for almost two years. She'd be happy with anything with wheels, but we can and did choose to make it nice. Nothing too fancy or brand new, but something anyone would be proud of. She makes good grades, has a job, doesn't do drugs and is in church on Sunday with us. I'd say she deserves a set of wheels.
I know this is old but I was blown away by all l the haters....I hope your daughter enjoyed her car.
I bought my first everything because I didn't have a choice But I now have the funds to make my daughter's life just a bit easier than I had it.. And that's what I plan on doing!
chillmom

Albany, GA

#43 Dec 4, 2011
Mom wrote:
We've bought our daughter a long awaited "new" car. She has no idea. What are some good ideas for surprising her with the car?
Oh how fun! we recently surprised our daughter after one of the football games she cheered at. My husband had gone and picked up the car earlier that day and parked it in a front parking spot we had saved. We looked like a Verizon commercial, because everyone knew except my daughter and all our friends were walking behind us and she didn't even see them. When we made it out to the car my husband pointed at it and said "hey isnt this just like you wanted?" and my daughter was like "yeah its really cute!" and he said "good, its yours!" she just about fell out! and everyone was there to see it! and we also had some of our friends take pictures of the whole thing! it was perfect!
Bridget

United States

#44 Mar 20, 2012
Mom wrote:
Just so all you kill-joys know, she DID work for part of the car, she'll have to pay for the gas and insurance and she's waited for almost two years. She'd be happy with anything with wheels, but we can and did choose to make it nice. Nothing too fancy or brand new, but something anyone would be proud of. She makes good grades, has a job, doesn't do drugs and is in church on Sunday with us. I'd say she deserves a set of wheels.
I am sorry everyone here is idiots! Qnd, they are merely jealous!You did an awesome job!!!!
AMM

Rock Springs, WY

#45 Mar 23, 2012
After reading several of the comments, I appreciate the fact that the main thread in all the comments is responsibility. However with the price of the vehicles nowadays, just how long do you think a kid in High School, working a minimun wage job, keeping up grades and all the other things kids are involved in today will take to pay that vehicle off. I am getting my daughter a vehicle and she will be responsible for all other expenses. Life happens. Teach them well and pray to God above for all the blessings and safety of our children.
Life Happens

Weaverville, NC

#46 Mar 23, 2012
AMM wrote:
After reading several of the comments, I appreciate the fact that the main thread in all the comments is responsibility. However with the price of the vehicles nowadays, just how long do you think a kid in High School, working a minimun wage job, keeping up grades and all the other things kids are involved in today will take to pay that vehicle off. I am getting my daughter a vehicle and she will be responsible for all other expenses. Life happens. Teach them well and pray to God above for all the blessings and safety of our children.
Yes "life happens". I remember when I was in high school (66 >68) I had to ask my mom or dad if I could use their car for a Friday or Saturday night date. If I was lucky the tank was full so I only had to replace what I used, if nearly empty I had to put more in than what I used; imagine that. Very few of my peers had their own car or truck, if they did it was an old family handed down "beater".

But the world was different then. Nothing was almost instantaneous and most of us walked to school, there were no PCs, iPad or iPods, cell phones or movies on demand. It was a slower pace then and arguably more enjoyable. I wouldn't want to be in high school today, the peer pressure must be enormous.

I also don't think I'll ever have a Kindle as I like books and like reading books on slow rainy days like today.
annita creek

Houston, TX

#47 Apr 23, 2012
Ok so my daughter wanted the cross fire leather and all. So I took her to go look at some she fell inlove with a maroon one and beautiful.after getting her hopes up. We told her we couldn't afford it. Went later that day pucked it up let her sweat for a lil bit. And told her to clean out the garage. She was a lil depressed but she went to do it. When she went in the garage her car was there with a big bow on it. She screamed yelled cried laughed but the best was that smile.that's priceless. And I can't worry about what if. We can hope and pray we taught them right and they are responsible.that day a couple days ago was priceless
DeAnna

Burnsville, NC

#48 Jun 7, 2012
How did you end up surprising her? I was searching for ideas of my own when I came across this posting. My husband and I are so excited that we were able to buy our son his first Truck and we want to make the surprise unforgetable!! I can't believe all the ugly comments on here...WOW...my whole family is so excited and we cannot wait to see his expression. Any ideas are appreciated.
Uglytopics

Hendersonville, NC

#49 Jun 7, 2012
DeAnna wrote:
How did you end up surprising her? I was searching for ideas of my own when I came across this posting. My husband and I are so excited that we were able to buy our son his first Truck and we want to make the surprise unforgetable!! I can't believe all the ugly comments on here...WOW...my whole family is so excited and we cannot wait to see his expression. Any ideas are appreciated.
Ugliness is the life blood of this forum. Without it there would be no forum at all. Angry fools just enjoy being mean spirited and ugly. They think it's macho or some such BS.
Lori

Oxford, AL

#50 Jul 17, 2012
Mom wrote:

My dad surprised me with a car when I was 16 and I appreciated it sooo much. I took care of it and was extremely grateful. Im very excited to do the same for my kids. It's a super exciting moment, one of my best memories of teenage years. It depends on the person, some kids are demanding and selfish, some are not. Just because we give our kids a car does not mean we spoil them. My daughter has been through a lot with an absentee dad for the past year, our divorce, etc. my dad and I are thrilled to do this for her.
Addina

New Orleans, LA

#51 Sep 27, 2012
Mom wrote:
Way to go mom! Reading the comments, I was thinking to myself, wow what a bunch of fun suckers! I too have a daughter who is a top notch kid, all honors, beta, student council, doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs or get in any trouble and is a virgin and plans on staying that way until marraige. She is the most responsible, mature 16 I know and I couldn't be ANY prouder of her! She works reffing soccer on weekends and will pay for her own gas and insurance. We bought her an '08 Mazda 6. It's not brand new but if she wants brand new than that gives her something to work towards. But as of right now, it's something for her to drive when she needs to be somewhere and to get to college when the time comes. She has busts her ass to make something of herself, more than most adults I know. I think this is the least I can do to show her how proud we are of her and that hard work DOES pay off!!
Police

Waco, TX

#52 Sep 27, 2012
Why even answer her post if you depressed folks don't have any ideas to share? Poor you, your parents were poor... Whatever I'm buying my kids a nice safe car and surprising them like this mom.

Buying and selling real estate and workin since I was 14 made me a wealthy man.

Hope she is surprised!
AREUSERIOUS

Pearland, TX

#53 Oct 9, 2012
The only problem is the poor women never asked for anyone's opinion! She simply wanted ideas to surprize her daughter with a car, not a "This is how I raised my kid and it's better than everyone". Everyone has the right to raise their child in a way they feel is the best. Believe it or not, there is no perfect parenting. What works with one, may not work with anothers.
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>
I told mine to get a job if she wants anything...luckily, she listened. Otherwise, she'd of been walking. I didn't coddle my daughter any. You want it...you earn it. Plain & Simple. And when she was near 18, I told her to get ready, because when she hits 18, she is going to learn to live on her own. And...luckily, she listened there too.
And now...I am free from it all. No more 'direct' parenting...and I have a great daughter, who is earning her own way in life, with all her own experiences...positive and negative.
Don't know if anyone is jealous or not, or are just voicing their opinions. But, if you don't want to hear any opinions, especially those that don't match what you want to hear, then it is probably wiser never to ask. Because, people for the most part, are going to say it as they think it is, and there will be times, when it may not coincide with what someone thinks is the way it should be. That's why really...I'm open minded, and take all the insults and complements in the same way...basically, all of it is...what it is. Some have different attitudes and beliefs than me, and some have the same. It is all good. I go with the flow...in all that I do in life...work, play, etc. As long as I keep my mind open...the door for learning will continue to be easier to unlock. When I close my mind...then I lose out.
nikki

Llansantffraid, UK

#54 Dec 22, 2012
Well i thknk u are an amazing mummy....i tol have bought my daughter a car for christmas....she is responsible and sensible, she is such a good kid never in trouble, she lives away at uni and walks 30 mi nutes to and from her housd that shd pays for herself carrying huge portfolios etc, she gets good grades and works so hard, she passed her test a year ago but couldnt afford a car.....i am therefor sl proud thag ican surprise her with such a wonderful gift thiz chrisgmas ! All these other people are just gelious i say !!!!!
Idea

Hinesville, GA

#55 Dec 22, 2012
U could buy a small toy car and tape the key to the bottom...and put in a HUGE box
Taxi Mom

United States

#56 Feb 27, 2013
So my daughter was involved in numerous after school activities cheerleading, gymnastics, track, ROTC, Peer Mediation, volunteering at several different community activities. It was absolutely wearing me out to taxi her everywhere. I do not encourage my children to work, I feel they are going to have many many many years of working when they graduate and their teen years should be about working hard in school to get into college (you only get one free education). So for her 16th birthday we bought her a car. I went to the craft store and bought the supplies to make custom cards and had them to make me a big bow out of pink and silver ribbon. I bought extra ribbon to use as trim for each of the cards I made. I can't remember all the exact words we wrote in the cards but they were essentially clues to the next place to go, its been five years but you will get the gist of it.

The night before her birthday, my husband gave her a card telling her that tomorrow would be a big day which would start with time with God. At church the next day when she went forward to put her pennies in the birthday jar, the deacon gave her the next card that had clues to send us to a local family owned restaurant for lunch. At the restaurant, our waitress gave her the next clue which led our family to her grandparents house. The card they gave her led her to my sisters house. My sister has a hilly drive and as we crested the driveway, there set her car with a big pink ribbon. My brother-in-law was hiding in their van to video tape the whole thing. She was so excited and grateful. She sat in that car for hours fiddling with all the controls. The funny thing though is that it was many more months before she had the time to go get her license so I was still stuck taxiing her around for awhile.:D

One more suggestion, when she was 14 we bought her a used 4-wheeler. At that time we were big into Geocaching (look it up). So we used coordinates that were hid around the neighborhood to lead her to the 4-wheeler. That one was a lot of fun too.:D
Old Fogie

Knoxville, TN

#57 Apr 19, 2013
These young whipper snappers don't need a car!!! Y back in my day we had to walk bare footed in the snow at least 12 miles to work in the coal mines of 25- cents a day. Lunch cost 28-cents for a old rotten piece of meat and stale bread. Get that kid some bus tokens and a walkie talkie to use instead of a cell phone. ;-)
Mama2

Gretna, LA

#58 Jun 9, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine earned theirs but knowing girls, I'd probably do something that involved her friends. Either a scavenger hunt type thing or a get-together somewhere where each of her friends give her a little "piece" of the car such as floor mat, hub cap, Wiper blade, license plate, etc. Finally, the key. Things that can be immediately put back on of course. Hide the car. Good luck.
I did the same thing for a well deserved teenage daughter who has a 3.7 GPA and as of right now a free ride in college. Some people do not understand that you get what you give. If you make your child a priority today...your child will make you a priority tomorrow. So good luck all you killjoy parents...
In the same boat

Tryon, NC

#59 Feb 7, 2014
My Granddaughter will be getting an New "Used Car" in the near future . She is on the Honor Roll, active in sports & very responsible. Some people Do work a second job to do something special for their children. One of four with a Mother about to graduate Nursing School she definitely has been taught responsibility & a good hard work ethic. I never had a car given to me but sure would have appreciated it. She doesn't know & doesn't care what kind of car she gets as she knows how hard her parents work. The question was how to surprise. I think either a huge bow with car in driveway,at a favorite restaurant, or have it parked at Grocery or other store & pretend like your getting in the wrong car with a card on seat. Good Luck & Bless all Teens that drive as it is a different world then what we grew up in.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#61 Feb 8, 2014
Test
Jackie

Perkasie, PA

#62 Jan 29, 2015
Mom wrote:
Hope she enjoyed her birthday and her car! Don't listen to the negativity on here

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Simon 167,873
Does Asheville have a negro problem? 6 hr David 1
Moving to Asheville - question about the 'burbs Thu Thomas 6
Former Buncombe commissioners deny getting coun... Wed stayvigilant 6
News Buncombe deputy's nose broken in head-butt assault (Mar '09) Wed Traceybugs 92
Ugly Women Apr 17 Gin Mill 8
Harry Anderson Apr 17 Neighbor 2

Asheville Jobs

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages