How can you surprise a teenager with ...

How can you surprise a teenager with a new car?

Posted in the Asheville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mom

United States

#1 Mar 10, 2009
We've bought our daughter a long awaited "new" car. She has no idea. What are some good ideas for surprising her with the car?

Since: Mar 09

franklin,nc

#2 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
We've bought our daughter a long awaited "new" car. She has no idea. What are some good ideas for surprising her with the car?
Couldnt tell you.I told my 3 if they wanted a car they could get a job and earn it.
Nobody

Humble, TX

#3 Mar 10, 2009
franklinative wrote:
<quoted text>Couldnt tell you.I told my 3 if they wanted a car they could get a job and earn it.
That's what most of us have had to do.
Carolina

Maxton, NC

#4 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
Congratulations Mom. You're giving your daughter a wonderful gift! She is very fortunate to have you for a Mom.
Nurse

Maxton, NC

#5 Mar 10, 2009
Me too. Most teenagers aren't particularly responsible, and none of them are very experienced, when it comes to driving. I've seen too many permanently maimed, paralyzed and dead ones pulled from wrecks caused by one second of stupidity. It's a helluva big price to pay. So, even if I could have afforded to buy my son a car, I wouldn't have. I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself if he were killed in a car that I bought for him.

He was very careful with the Jeep he eventually bought for himself - a notoriously dangerous vehicle for young males, as they are essentially made to be wrecked and fixed. He was lucky. And, when he had to pay for the repairs himself, he learned his lesson - that was the last time he wrecked it.
kingnc

Maxton, NC

#6 Mar 10, 2009
Great plan,good luck.
My neighbor just when through this. He found a Civic at the Honda dealer and drove it to my office and parked it until her birthday two days later. I parked it in their driveway in wee hours the night before the big day.

The daughter complained she wanted a two door, spoiler, different color, and CD changer.

The kid should have been whipped on the spot, but that's just my opinion.
Jackson County

Cullowhee, NC

#7 Mar 10, 2009
kingnc wrote:
Great plan,good luck.
My neighbor just when through this. He found a Civic at the Honda dealer and drove it to my office and parked it until her birthday two days later. I parked it in their driveway in wee hours the night before the big day.
The daughter complained she wanted a two door, spoiler, different color, and CD changer.
The kid should have been whipped on the spot, but that's just my opinion.
I would have told the kid that if she wanted such and such a car, she could earn the money and pay for it herself.
Jackson County

Cullowhee, NC

#8 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
I think she should have to work for her car. That's what I had to do.
Mom

United States

#9 Mar 10, 2009
Just so all you kill-joys know, she DID work for part of the car, she'll have to pay for the gas and insurance and she's waited for almost two years. She'd be happy with anything with wheels, but we can and did choose to make it nice. Nothing too fancy or brand new, but something anyone would be proud of. She makes good grades, has a job, doesn't do drugs and is in church on Sunday with us. I'd say she deserves a set of wheels.
What

Denver, NC

#10 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
Mine earned theirs but knowing girls, I'd probably do something that involved her friends. Either a scavenger hunt type thing or a get-together somewhere where each of her friends give her a little "piece" of the car such as floor mat, hub cap, Wiper blade, license plate, etc. Finally, the key. Things that can be immediately put back on of course. Hide the car. Good luck.

Since: Oct 07

Dillon, SC

#11 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
Pay no attention to some of these comments. When I was sixteen, I needed a car to get to work, so my parents bought me a used one. While working, I saved my money for college, paid for the gas and other expenses. Everyone doesn't live on the bus route nor is it convenient for parents to take their children back and forth to work everyday. We're not living back in the 60's for Pete's sake. I WISH we were, but we're not.

The important thing is, Mom, teach your daughter responsibility, and let her know what the consequesces will be if she doesn't act responsibly.

As for how to surprise her, just park the thing in the driveway after she has gone to bed, tie balloons on the antennae, and let her awake to something she will never forget.I haven't.
Jackson County

Cullowhee, NC

#12 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
Just so all you kill-joys know, she DID work for part of the car, she'll have to pay for the gas and insurance and she's waited for almost two years. She'd be happy with anything with wheels, but we can and did choose to make it nice. Nothing too fancy or brand new, but something anyone would be proud of. She makes good grades, has a job, doesn't do drugs and is in church on Sunday with us. I'd say she deserves a set of wheels.
Well I guess I can understand now. I just didn't know all this at the outset. Glad you've made her accept some responsibility. Too many kids just handed a fancy car all paid for.

Since: Oct 07

Dillon, SC

#13 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
I think she does too. Sounds like a bunch of old fogies on here. Well, back in my day.... Sounds to me like you've got a daughter to be proud of, and I say more power to you. Just be sure you set her down and lay out the rules.
What

Denver, NC

#14 Mar 10, 2009
Mom wrote:
You and I were typing around the same time. You gave little info. at first and I think many thought you just got your daughter a car out of the blue because you could. I was surrounded by those kids when I was a teen and my girls are surrounded by those now. In other words, there are parents that do that. Makes it a little tougher on the rest of us as you know. I wish your daughter the best and plenty of angels riding with her.
franklinnative

AOL

#15 Mar 10, 2009
Jackson County wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess I can understand now. I just didn't know all this at the outset. Glad you've made her accept some responsibility. Too many kids just handed a fancy car all paid for.
Ditto.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#16 Mar 11, 2009
Give them a new house.
Anderson

United States

#17 Mar 11, 2009
franklinative wrote:
<quoted text>Couldnt tell you.I told my 3 if they wanted a car they could get a job and earn it.
That would certainly surprise her.
LawnMowingQueen

Candler, NC

#18 Mar 11, 2009
Doesn't matter if your kid is a good kid and does
everything right. If they pay for it themselves,
including the car insurance they'll appreciate it
more. My siblings and I made our own car payments
and the car insurance payments. I knew too many
other teenagers where I grew up, whose parents
gave them anything they asked for. One of them
totalled his car (his fault), his parents went out
and bought him another new car right away. A lot
of parents want to be friends with their kids instead of being parents. My daughter pays for her
own car including the insurance.
JWw

Nashville, TN

#19 May 3, 2009
most of you are idiots. Im sure everyone is aware that cars are dangerous. I dont think that was the question.
It is a very special time in both parent and child lift when they are able to do something like this and it should be enjoyed.
My daughter has taken driving courses and is very responsible. Accidents can always happen no matter who is driving.
I am trilled for you and your child, enjoy and have fun.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#20 May 3, 2009
JWw wrote:
most of you are idiots. Im sure everyone is aware that cars are dangerous. I dont think that was the question.
It is a very special time in both parent and child lift when they are able to do something like this and it should be enjoyed.
My daughter has taken driving courses and is very responsible. Accidents can always happen no matter who is driving.
I am trilled for you and your child, enjoy and have fun.
I agree! Everyone is a bunch of Debbie Downers. Good lawd. Lighten up, folks!

Mom-
I think you should wait til very late or very early and sneak it in. Maybe park it at a neighbors house.

Have fun!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prostitution in Asheville. Pics and stories! (Jul '10) 3 hr truth teller 115
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Chimney1 151,466
DSS Protest (Feb '10) 4 hr truth teller 109
HENDERSONVILLE is sending Hipsters,Hillbillies,... 14 hr Thomas Hoffman 5
Craig's List M4M Massager Has A.I.D.S. 14 hr Gary Worthless Ja... 23
I Am Being Sexually Harrassed at Asheville Onen... 14 hr TG Shannon 18
Should Street Preaching be Illegal (Dec '13) 19 hr Asheville native 15

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages