Innsbruck Mall faces sale rumors

Innsbruck Mall faces sale rumors

There are 25 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 8, 2007, titled Innsbruck Mall faces sale rumors. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Innsbruck Mall tenants say they have been told the East Asheville shopping center may be sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rid0617

Huntersville, NC

#1 Mar 9, 2007
Sammy ya might as well start packing. The amount of greed now a days guarantees they will raise the rent.
Jack Snow

West Chester, PA

#2 Mar 9, 2007
I hope the new owners try to make it more attractive, maybe better lighting and a little landscaping. It's always struck me as a little depressing when you drive in there. It does have a great location and when I am in town, I frequently shop there.

Since: Feb 07

Eddyville, KY

#3 Mar 9, 2007
Jack:

What stores in there do you shop at? It's a ghost town, it's amazing they even keep it open.

I'd love to know what their 2003 renovation was since it surely wasn't inside.
Jack Snow

West Chester, PA

#4 Mar 9, 2007
rickm wrote:
Jack:
What stores in there do you shop at? It's a ghost town, it's amazing they even keep it open.
I'd love to know what their 2003 renovation was since it surely wasn't inside.
Actually, Bat Cave is a ghost town!

Ashevegas

#5 Mar 9, 2007
the mall also has Ball Photo, the only real camera full service store in Asheville, and a couple of pretty good discount places, Big Lots being one of them. It is a shame that Ingles is so hot on BIG stores, I will not shop in the huge ones and this will mean driving out of the area to find a smaller grocery store. The Innsbrook Ingles has penty of variety and a much more homey atmosphere than the big stores. I guess customers don't really matter any longer.

“Dimensions Beyond Left & Right”

Asheville

#6 Mar 9, 2007
I remember when Innsbruck Mall was first built. It was all the rage in those days. Of course, it wasn't called Innsbruck Mall in the beginning. Over the years, it has become a ragged looking place. But yes, Ball Photo has managed to stay alive there and they've been around for decades too.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Weaverville, NC

#7 Mar 9, 2007
lawnguy wrote:
the mall also has Ball Photo, the only real camera full service store in Asheville, and a couple of pretty good discount places, Big Lots being one of them. It is a shame that Ingles is so hot on BIG stores, I will not shop in the huge ones and this will mean driving out of the area to find a smaller grocery store. The Innsbrook Ingles has penty of variety and a much more homey atmosphere than the big stores. I guess customers don't really matter any longer.
you are right but if you want an all in one shop experience, an ingles out near lake julian for example is a great example especially with starbucks in there and since ingles is building a new store in the old walmart next door then what that ingles needed upgrading and now is whats happening.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#8 Mar 9, 2007
lawnguy wrote:
I used to shop at the small Ingles. I knew some of
the shoppers and employees when I lived on Beaucatcher Rd.

Ball Photo has been tehre for a long time.
Everything Fishy used to be there. So were other small stores.

Office Depot is there, which is convenient for me.

With new owners, I am afraid it will be destroyed
and bigger things put up.

Everything has changed on Tunnel Rd. Such destruction for a nice old neighborhood.
Ticker

Cleburne, TX

#9 Mar 9, 2007
Back in the 70's it had a half way decent bar and resturant downstairs. Can't remember the name but it was a German type resturant if I am not mistaking.

About the only thing I can remember being there, other than that, is the "tag office" staffed with some of the most surly and incompetent people in the county who went above and beyond the call of duty to be slower than molasses on a cold January day.
Ticker

Cleburne, TX

#10 Mar 9, 2007
Asheville Native, Tunnel Road went to pot when Buck's closed and has gone down hill since. Best dang burgers in Asheville. We use to drive from JC TN just to cruise Buck's, eat a burger and check out the females(chicks as they were known then) from Lee-Edwards High.(As it was known in the better days of Asheville) Then we'd go check out the A&W on what ever street that was (near where UNC-A is today) and grab a root beer float before heading back across the mountain. The road ran then by Beaver Lake through Weaverville and then narrowed , if that were possible, to head out to Sams Gap and down the mountian and back to JC, home of the "Toppers".

Asheville

#11 Mar 9, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Back in the 70's it had a half way decent bar and resturant downstairs. Can't remember the name but it was a German type resturant if I am not mistaking.
About the only thing I can remember being there, other than that, is the "tag office" staffed with some of the most surly and incompetent people in the county who went above and beyond the call of duty to be slower than molasses on a cold January day.
Bavarian cellar...?

I remember a club way back called ratskellers...? something like that,I can't spell for crap. There used to be a Brendles and before that a Masons
Ticker

Cleburne, TX

#12 Mar 10, 2007
Rathskeller I believe was the name. It was actually not too bad for a throw off on a good German resturant. The food was passable but the beer couldn't compare to the real thing.
I believe someone else had a place called Bavarian Celler there as well but that was some years later, I think.

Asheville

#13 Mar 10, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Rathskeller I believe was the name. It was actually not too bad for a throw off on a good German resturant. The food was passable but the beer couldn't compare to the real thing.
I believe someone else had a place called Bavarian Celler there as well but that was some years later, I think.
Ah yes, Ticker, it was Chuck's Rathskeller. I remember it well -- the location of my very first (legal) beer in Asheville and I didn't know good beer from mediocre in those days :-)

Asheboro, NC

#14 Mar 10, 2007
Jack:

I thought you meant inside the mall, which is sort of dead.

Asheville

#15 Mar 10, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Asheville Native, Tunnel Road went to pot when Buck's closed and has gone down hill since. Best dang burgers in Asheville. We use to drive from JC TN just to cruise Buck's, eat a burger and check out the females(chicks as they were known then) from Lee-Edwards High.(As it was known in the better days of Asheville) Then we'd go check out the A&W on what ever street that was (near where UNC-A is today) and grab a root beer float before heading back across the mountain. The road ran then by Beaver Lake through Weaverville and then narrowed , if that were possible, to head out to Sams Gap and down the mountian and back to JC, home of the "Toppers".
Buck's had the absolute best steak sandwich on record. We ate there at least once a week when I was growing up. My brother worked as a bus boy in the restaurant section. As a kid, my friends and I would ride our horses up to Buck's drive-in on the weekends and buy a steak sandwich from horseback.

The other place on Tunnel Road I really liked was Babe's Drive In. They had chipped ham sandwiches to die for. Do you remember that one? It was across the street and closer to the Tunnel, relative to Bucks.

And the third place on the "drag" was Wink's Drive In. It was closest to the Tunnel and, for a time, had a Radio DJ in a tower -- don't recall if that was WSKY or WISE.

Tunnel Road was my old stomping ground. The acreage where Innsbruck Mall is today was the site of my friend's horse stable. We would buy our Buck's steak sandwich and ride back to her barn to eat in the tack room. Doesn't sound too appetizing to me as I mention it, but in those days it was great fun.

Asheville

#16 Mar 10, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Well, Ticker, now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe it was just "The Rathskeller" not "Chuck's Rathskeller" -- had one too many bad beers there to remember correctly, I guess.:-)

Ashevegas

#17 Mar 10, 2007
AhshevilleNative,
My house is just around the corner from the Innsbrook mall and I remember the stable well. My cousins, Susan and Nancy, and I used to go over there and feed the horses, I seem to remember a mule there too. There was a guy down the street, Jimmy Basset, who died a few years ago, and he helped my cousin, Susan, build her Chevy into a good racer,and she won a bunch of trophies, telling her parents that Jimmy won them and let her keep them. She had cut out exhausts pipes that bypassed the muffler and we would cruse Bucks, Winks, and Babes, with her gunning it and opening the pipes over the speed bumps.

Asheville

#18 Mar 10, 2007
Wow, lawnguy, I didn't think anybody but the owner of that barn would remember it. Were you in the Kenilworth area? There was a tourist court there -- Mineral Springs Tourist Court, I think, next to Redman Gift Shop, which was next to Buck's, all facing Tunnel Road. The barn was on the road that entered Kenilworth and went by Morningside Baptist Church -- I guess that was actually called Mineral Springs Road and it intersected Tunnel Road there with Chunns Cove Road on the other side.

Tunnel Road was really a fine place back then. I remember it fondly. It was a kinder, gentler time.
Mtnbred

Redmond, WA

#19 Mar 11, 2007
AshevilleNative wrote:
Wow, lawnguy, I didn't think anybody but the owner of that barn would remember it. Were you in the Kenilworth area? There was a tourist court there -- Mineral Springs Tourist Court, I think, next to Redman Gift Shop, which was next to Buck's, all facing Tunnel Road. The barn was on the road that entered Kenilworth and went by Morningside Baptist Church -- I guess that was actually called Mineral Springs Road and it intersected Tunnel Road there with Chunns Cove Road on the other side.
Tunnel Road was really a fine place back then. I remember it fondly. It was a kinder, gentler time.
goodness, does this bring back memories!! There was a bar/nightclub that set right up against the mountain before ya got to the tunnel--whee the bus station sits, but back further----Hideaway, I think the name was. And I remember the chipped ham from Babes!! Can taste it now!! and back then, beer was beer--didn't matter!! ha ha

Asheville

#20 Mar 11, 2007
That's way cool, Mtnbred. My next door neighbor collected the carry out trays (the ones that attached to your car window) from Babe's, Winks, and Buck's. They would be worth something today if she still had them.

Do ya'll remember Dreamland Drive-In down at the south end of Tunnel Road? I think it opened in 1947. I recall many a night at that place and also at the Starlight Drive-In up closer to the tunnel near where Joe's Crab Shack is now.

And I also recall Skyline Dairy located where Shoney's Restaurant (now Cornerstone Restaurant) is on Tunnel Road. They had the best ice cream ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
creepy stalker 6 hr nobody 3
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 10 hr MIDutch 151,284
rednecks are taking over asheville! 16 hr HilLiary Clintoon 19
ASHEVILLE ONENESS DEEKSHA IS a CULT yuppers! 17 hr HilLiary Clintoon 10
hillary's lie about coming under fire overseas ... 17 hr HilLiary Clintoon 2
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Sat Paddling has its ... 197
Transgender Restrooms Fri Satyam Thomas Hof... 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages