Million-dollar homes flood the market

Million-dollar homes flood the market

There are 139 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 1, 2007, titled Million-dollar homes flood the market. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

People who have been wondering just how many million-dollar homes the Buncombe County market can bear may get their answer in the next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Real Man of Genius

Maxton, NC

#22 Nov 2, 2007
Ravenz Moon wrote:
Makes no sense what so ever. Housing market is at an all time low and the prices keep going up. Uh huh..makes lots of sense. Supply and demand... someone forget that?
Where did you read that the housing market is at an "all time low" and that "prices keep going up"?
Real Man of Genius

Maxton, NC

#23 Nov 2, 2007
That survey is awful. There are many misspelled words, and the questions are written from a biased perspective.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#24 Nov 2, 2007
I think I will take up squatting in those empty million dollars homes. There are enough to keep me living the high life for years or better yet I might travel to town and bring back some vagrants to move in them. I would like to see the faces of the neighbors when they find out Brother Christopher lives next door.
Just Curious

Sanford, NC

#25 Nov 2, 2007
I created this survey, I am not a company nor do I ask for email address, name, phone number or home address. There is no way to link your responses to the person who gave them because you never have to input your personal information. I could understand if I was asking for your SS# or something like that but in no way are you having to give up anything to link the information to you.

Even if I did some how get any of that information from you I have no intention of selling it.

If you feel the survey was intrusive & the question asked are nobody's business then don't answer those questions or at the very least don't take the survey.

You people just need to chill out & take it for what it is. Just a survey
carefulthoughtnc

Travelers Rest, SC

#26 Nov 2, 2007
This housing situation is what I have been trying to get folks to acknowledge since day 1. The current housing market in Asheville is not aimed at working, middle class folks who have scrimped and saved, and still can't afford a house. I'm not talking about people looking for a hand-out, or people who just don't know how to save money, or those who go out to eat every night, or buy new cars. I'm addressing people like me who DO work for what they have, do NOT expect anyone else to support them, and still can't get ahead because they don't have $1 million to spend on a freakin' house! I'm glad this is finally getting the attention it deserves.
lokel

United States

#27 Nov 2, 2007
.... get ready for the crash, it's coming.
carefulthoughtnc

Travelers Rest, SC

#28 Nov 2, 2007
Skidoo1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one needs a million dollar house. Period!
Given that the price of everything under the sun is increasing ... I suspect that these will probably end up selling (if they can sell them) for much less.
At least it might be a pause for the farmers who are trying to unload their properties for development of more of these monstrocities.
I wish I could get on board with you, but since that disgusting comment about animals digging their own graves, nothing you have to say carries any merit. That WAS you, if I remember correctly?
Healthnut

Greenville, SC

#29 Nov 2, 2007
Skidoo1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one needs a million dollar house. Period!
Given that the price of everything under the sun is increasing ... I suspect that these will probably end up selling (if they can sell them) for much less.
At least it might be a pause for the farmers who are trying to unload their properties for development of more of these monstrocities.
but what if they can afford a million dollar home, do they have to curtail their spending?
Ghost Rider

Candler, NC

#30 Nov 2, 2007
Survey will make no difference in anything.
I am going to buy my million dollar house in a forclosure sale. Keep building them I need some good ones to choose from.
Just Curious wrote:
http://www.tigersurvey.com/sur vey.php?survey=3644
This is a link to a survey for Asheville & WNC residents. This survey will help understand the needs & wants of the people that live here it is also a way for you to voice your opinion. This survey will also help to understand the differences between those who are born here & those who have moved here. PLEASE be absolutely honest in your responses to the questions. Faking or lying in your responses will not help with understanding the needs of the people here.
Chimps

Boiling Springs, SC

#31 Nov 2, 2007
Time value of Money- alot of these builders will be lucky to break even.
Jake

Asheville, NC

#32 Nov 2, 2007
Ravenz Moon wrote:
Makes no sense what so ever. Housing market is at an all time low and the prices keep going up. Uh huh..makes lots of sense. Supply and demand... someone forget that?
The dot com bubble didnt make sense either but it happened. Many people make decisions based on emotions and not common sense.

High inventories lead to lower prices. WNC is at the point where inventories are starting to build up but sellers are still a bit too stubburn to lower prices. However, like seen in other places, that stubborness will turn into fear in the near future and lead to a significant price correction.

WNC families cannot afford a million dollar house and the retirees cannot sell their Florida homes. I believe there will be a blue light flashing over WNC very soon.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

#33 Nov 2, 2007
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
of all people on here im surprised you took the damn thing dunnin.. are you slipping or is transplanted on your mind ;D . cant say i blame you for questioning it being spam . maybe you ought to go ahead and complain to the moderator now about the poster ,cause im guessing your info has already been emailed to at least ten companies . please do let us know the outcome so we can share in this little venture with you and learn from it together
LOL. You are a funny one!:)
Kevin

Wellford, SC

#34 Nov 2, 2007
All this over some over-priced Yuppie housing. Oy!
SouthClitt

Lincolnton, NC

#35 Nov 2, 2007
We have what you need.
dmw

Nebo, NC

#36 Nov 2, 2007
Homes in general flood the market. Has the reporter been on vacation for the past year? This is not news, this is filler.
Tiger Wonts

Lincolnton, NC

#37 Nov 2, 2007
Im buying three lots there at SouthClitt.
dmw

Nebo, NC

#38 Nov 2, 2007
Roy wrote:
Can you say massive mis-allocation of resources?
Pop! goes the housing bubble.
Maybe they can eventually be turned into multi-family housing? Or salvaged for their granite counter tops and hardwood floors? What average family actually needs 6000 sq ft? Imagine the cost to heat and cool these monsters. Talk about flagrant waste of limited resources.
You need help.
Real Man of Genius

Maxton, NC

#39 Nov 2, 2007
Ravenz Moon wrote:
Where did you read that the "housing market is at an all time low" and that prices keep going up?
Just Curious

Sanford, NC

#40 Nov 2, 2007
Asheville Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
When SPAM was first mentioned by Dunnin, I was in agreement with her, and then realized it wasn't emailed to specific people. It sort of was laid out there for people to check it out on their own. I'm not sure it would be considered SPAM vs. a voluntary visit by the reader. I liked and agreed with Dunnin's earlier suggestions to the survey guy, recommending a better route for questioning.
I must say, I have definitely seen this link posted on other forums so they are certainly making themselves known.
The biggest recommendation I would give is, NEVER give out personal/financial/identity information on the internet.
Someone else mentioned they didn't think it was intended for use in identity theft, but who knows.
ALWAYS PROTECT YOURSELF...
I created this survey as a part of a class I am taking at UNCA. I do not ask for any personal information of any kind, no names, no email address, no home address & no phone numbers.

The information asked about money or where you got your money is to determine the difference between those who are born here & those that move here. I dont ask for any account numbers or anything. Just ask if you had a trust fund when you turned 18 & your annual income to see if the people that move here have more money than the local or to see which group got help financially in life.

Everyone just needs to chill out & take it for what it is, just a survey
paul varner

United States

#41 Nov 2, 2007
Wow. This article really brought the Whiners out.

Oh how I wish they'd replace those million dollar homes with those much-requested double-wides that all the locals are clamoring for.

"Whaaa Whaaa Whaaa". The Whiners are having their day with this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blame it On The Police 5 hr RIP Gil 8
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Dogen 163,784
News Asheville agencies address complexities of opio... 6 hr Humanspirit 3
Where is the best swingers hangout hotspot? Sat Gin Mill Hoffman 7
BRING BACK Our FORUMS! Sat Gin Mill Hoffman 25
Beggars and Bums Sat Gin Mill Hoffman 7
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha (Jan '17) Fri Fergus 134

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages