Million-dollar homes flood the market

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

People who have been wondering just how many million-dollar homes the Buncombe County market can bear may get their answer in the next year.
Comments
1 - 20 of 139 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2007
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Makes no sense what so ever. Housing market is at an all time low and the prices keep going up. Uh huh..makes lots of sense. Supply and demand... someone forget that?

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Just Curious wrote:
http://www.tigersurvey.com/sur vey.php?survey=3644
This is a link to a survey for Asheville & WNC residents. This survey will help understand the needs & wants of the people that live here it is also a way for you to voice your opinion. This survey will also help to understand the differences between those who are born here & those who have moved here. PLEASE be absolutely honest in your responses to the questions. Faking or lying in your responses will not help with understanding the needs of the people here.
Isnt this SPAM? I took your survey. It was long, very intrusive and boring. Its noone's business how someone else got their $. Why did you want to know?

And I dont see how that survey is going to indicate one little thing about a "need" in this area.

If so, the questions would have been how many times have you done without food to buy meds? How many times in the last year have you been late with your mortgage? It was about prying incomes out of people and what kind of housing they live in and what is the value of their property?

If I get one thing in the mail about a recent survey I took indicating my property and whether I will sell or not, the AG's office will be getting a copy of it, with a note indicating your survey site. Gads.

Since: Jul 07

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Isnt this SPAM? I took your survey. It was long, very intrusive and boring. Its noone's business how someone else got their $. Why did you want to know?
And I dont see how that survey is going to indicate one little thing about a "need" in this area.
If so, the questions would have been how many times have you done without food to buy meds? How many times in the last year have you been late with your mortgage? It was about prying incomes out of people and what kind of housing they live in and what is the value of their property?
If I get one thing in the mail about a recent survey I took indicating my property and whether I will sell or not, the AG's office will be getting a copy of it, with a note indicating your survey site. Gads.
No one needs a million dollar house. Period!

Given that the price of everything under the sun is increasing ... I suspect that these will probably end up selling (if they can sell them) for much less.

At least it might be a pause for the farmers who are trying to unload their properties for development of more of these monstrocities.

Since: Dec 06

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Very astute observation Dunnin. When someone replies to this survey, he automatically gets your email address and sells it and all the information they supplied.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Jerry L wrote:
<quoted text>
Very astute observation Dunnin. When someone replies to this survey, he automatically gets your email address and sells it and all the information they supplied.
They better not. If they are as smart as they think they are. Thats both personal and private information and it had better not be made public in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

So the point of this thread being?

I don't think it was about identity theft.

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
They better not. If they are as smart as they think they are. Thats both personal and private information and it had better not be made public in any way, shape, form or fashion.
I would point out that if you read through the questions, there are misspellings in the questions.

What kind of yahoo would even take this seriously?

However the ORIGINAL topic of the thread I take very seriously.
joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
of all people on here im surprised you took the damn thing dunnin.. are you slipping or is transplanted on your mind ;D . cant say i blame you for questioning it being spam . maybe you ought to go ahead and complain to the moderator now about the poster ,cause im guessing your info has already been emailed to at least ten companies . please do let us know the outcome so we can share in this little venture with you and learn from it together
Asheville Lover

Brockton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
of all people on here im surprised you took the damn thing dunnin.. are you slipping or is transplanted on your mind ;D . cant say i blame you for questioning it being spam . maybe you ought to go ahead and complain to the moderator now about the poster ,cause im guessing your info has already been emailed to at least ten companies . please do let us know the outcome so we can share in this little venture with you and learn from it together
When SPAM was first mentioned by Dunnin, I was in agreement with her, and then realized it wasn't emailed to specific people. It sort of was laid out there for people to check it out on their own. I'm not sure it would be considered SPAM vs. a voluntary visit by the reader. I liked and agreed with Dunnin's earlier suggestions to the survey guy, recommending a better route for questioning.

I must say, I have definitely seen this link posted on other forums so they are certainly making themselves known.

The biggest recommendation I would give is, NEVER give out personal/financial/identity information on the internet.

Someone else mentioned they didn't think it was intended for use in identity theft, but who knows.

ALWAYS PROTECT YOURSELF...
Fatgirl

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Ravenz Moon wrote:
Makes no sense what so ever. Housing market is at an all time low and the prices keep going up. Uh huh..makes lots of sense. Supply and demand... someone forget that?
sorry but housing is NOT at an 'all time low'...
nowhere NEAR.(think 1970s jimmy carter days)...
Roy

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Can you say massive mis-allocation of resources?
Pop! goes the housing bubble.
Maybe they can eventually be turned into multi-family housing? Or salvaged for their granite counter tops and hardwood floors? What average family actually needs 6000 sq ft? Imagine the cost to heat and cool these monsters. Talk about flagrant waste of limited resources.
Clusterf**k Nation lands on our doorstep. Who'd a thunk it??
http://www.kunstler.com/ -- www.peakoil.com -- www.independencejournal.com
Check it out. Read and learn. Improvise, adapt, and overcome, if you want to.
Suburban dystopia and the greatest mis-allocation of natural resources in human history. That's us. Seems like available credit for the purchase o these McMansions is drying up. Banks are losing their asses due to their myopia and greed -- investments in CDO's, mortgage security's etc. Where's your money?
CDOs, sub-prime mortgages, and unsustainable living arrangements combined with a declining energy supply. Happy motoring is on its last leg. Watch gasoline prices, heating oil, nat gas, and electricity, not to mention food. 2% inflation? Yeah, only if you don't need food or energy. Welcome to the future.
I'd hate to be upside down on one of these things. My guess is that they're so poorly constructed that they'll be falling apart within five years.
Bravo!
Thanks to the ACT for reporting this. More people need to be made aware of what's going on.
Helicopter Ben and his boyz are making sure that the wealth of this country is getting more and more concentrated in the hands of the top 1%. Incidentally, that group currently earns 47% of all income earned in this country. American dream my ass. Thank You Bush, Cheney, private corporation called the Federal Reserve, Congress, and the whole real estate industry. Yes, thank you.
Another fact: Families who earn more than $200,000 per year are the top 2%. 98% of us are feeling the pinch, yet congress still argues about flag burning, abortion, and gay marriage. As if those things have anything to do with our quality of life and standard of living.(which seems to be declining almost daily now).
Vote for Ron Paul M.D. if you would like to see the crooks and sociopaths who cleverly engineered this situation put out of a job, which IMHO is the LEAST that they deserve.
Or vote for one of the media favorites and watch current trends continue until this country is absolutely bankrupt and the top 1% own everything. The status quo, business-as usual, is killing the average American. Who do the people in our corporate government actually represent?
Answer that question honestly and your conscience will guide you. Turn off your TV. Google is your friend.
Happy Friday everybody!!!
dunnin is a dummy

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

yell all you want, you gave 'em the info now you are done, end o story, mi amigo. when someone gives you something it is yours to do with as you please, sell, keep, or burn.
Thunder Pig

Henderson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why I have an email account setup just for these type of things...when the spam gets too bad, I activate another account without leaving a forwarding address. Oh, and if they ask for a phone number...I always give out the cell numbers of people I don't like.:)
Cart

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

That's great that we're building million dollar homes for the Yankees and the Floridians. How about building homes that local folks can afford?
Reader

Boiling Springs, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

I wonder why they are all trying to sell their million dollar homes?? Tired of paying the taxes at the current rate?? Maybe they will eventually sell, but I'm sure they will take a loss or be forced to take it off the market. Look at Florida, you can't sell anything there anymore either. I guess everyone that came here to build their million dollar summer homes or retirement homes are having to sell them because they can't unload the one they have in other places. Just goes to show you, greed, extravagance and having to have it all just don't pay off.

I suppose they are getting a taste of what it is like to be us little people here that can barely afford to pay the property taxes on our modest housing. Guess maybe its karma...they come in and build the million dollar homes, our cost of living goes way up, we have to watch what we spend, now they are stuck with what they have. HA!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Is there one person here that did not see this coming? Exactly, everyone sees things happening before our leaders even have a clue. As long as the money is flowing our local leaders would sell us out to Mexico if they thought money was involved. Whoops, wrong example, I think they already have.
Ghost Rider

Candler, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Sorry the survey would not do anything but make the originator money on selling the information on who clicked on it.
I will buy my million dollar house when it is in a forclosure sale.
Just Curious wrote:
http://www.tigersurvey.com/sur vey.php?survey=3644
This is a link to a survey for Asheville & WNC residents. This survey will help understand the needs & wants of the people that live here it is also a way for you to voice your opinion. This survey will also help to understand the differences between those who are born here & those who have moved here. PLEASE be absolutely honest in your responses to the questions. Faking or lying in your responses will not help with understanding the needs of the people here.
Taxes

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

And because folks can aford this price house we all suffer and our tax evaluations go up!

Something wrong here?

There should be a grandfather clause to control the valuations of those of us who have had our homes for years and are not trying to make a buck off of them.
Affordable Housing

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

This will make the Mayor and Vice Mayor happy. More chance for them to get more affordable housing!
Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

HEY! LETS NOT FORGET THE SUBJECT HERE. ALL THE HOT SHOTS ARE SELLING THEIR HOMES. IF YOU PAY, YOU CAN'T STAY.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Asheville Forum right now

Search the Asheville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 3 min Waco 1909 55,784
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 min Dogen 134,103
Planned Parenthood Has Quotas For Abortions 12 hr Dixie Hillbilly 2
Top 10 reasons why Asheville sucks (Jun '10) 12 hr Daniel duarte 192
HOMOSEXUALITY & ABORTION ARE ABOMINATIONS TO GO... 15 hr Uncle Perv 34
WHERE OH WHERE ARE THE TROLLS? Oy Vey! 15 hr Uncle Perv 3
False Prophets? Start With Osho Wed Satyam Thomas 76
Is ACN a scam (Feb '10) Jul 18 Joned 247
•••
•••
•••
Asheville Dating

more search filters

less search filters