Snow to sweep across state

Snow to sweep across state

There are 107 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Snow to sweep across state. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

ASHEVILLE It appears March will come in like a lion in North Carolina. Between 3 and 5 inches of snow is expected to blanket much of the Tar Heel State today through Monday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Newsworthy

Savannah, GA

#1 Mar 1, 2009
Todays article brought to us by....Bob Ingle.

Also, the lame reporter might note the Storm of the Century was March 1993. Crack researchers that the Ash Cit reporters are.....
Mike16bl

Arden, NC

#2 Mar 1, 2009
Newsworthy...funniest comment so far for the year!

The reporters are terrible yet we still read the paper.
Believe When Seen

Fletcher, NC

#3 Mar 1, 2009
Milk & Bread...ridiculous.

Some people may benefit if they get snowed in & don't have much to eat. It's not like they would starve to death! But for others, it's just another excuse to eat cookies...

Happy Snow Day! I'm sure everything will shut down dramatically...
Working Woman

United States

#4 Mar 1, 2009
Seems like the writers weren't around in March 1993 when "The Blizzard" hit Western North Carolina. People were without power for several days. I had 33 inches of snow in my front yard. Of course, remember Western North Carolina doesn't stop in Asheville. The saying goes Murphy to Manteo.

Since: Jul 08

Greenville, SC

#5 Mar 1, 2009
Wet snow + high winds = downed trees and powerlines.
Dave

Boiling Springs, SC

#6 Mar 1, 2009
I thought it was ice that caused downed power lines. Wet snow just melts.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#7 Mar 1, 2009
Where is global warming when we really need it?
Candler Gazette

Spartanburg, SC

#8 Mar 1, 2009
have a feeling this is going to ba another "miss" from these so-called weather reporters...hope they get it this time

Since: Oct 08

Asheville

#9 Mar 1, 2009
The forecasts seem to favor more snow to the east of Asheville (rather than to the west, which is the norm). Maybe we'll get lucky and have one nice snowfall this year.....:)
Newsworthy

Savannah, GA

#10 Mar 1, 2009
Working Woman wrote:
Seems like the writers weren't around in March 1993 when "The Blizzard" hit Western North Carolina. People were without power for several days. I had 33 inches of snow in my front yard. Of course, remember Western North Carolina doesn't stop in Asheville. The saying goes Murphy to Manteo.
See Post#1
Mike

Buffalo, NY

#11 Mar 1, 2009
Totals for the 93 blizzard

Mount Le Conte, TN 60 in (152.4 cm)
Mount Mitchell, NC 50 in (127 cm)
Snowshoe, WV 44 in (111.8 cm)
Syracuse, NY 43 in (109.2 cm)
Latrobe, PA 36 in (91.4 cm)
Lincoln, NH 35 in (88.9 cm)
Albany, NY 27 in (68.6 cm)
Pittsburgh, PA 25 in (63.5 cm)
Hartford, CT 24 in (61 cm)
London, KY 22 in (55.9 cm)
Chattanooga, TN 20 in (50.8 cm)
Asheville, NC 19 in (48.2 cm)
Ottawa, ON 17.7 in (45 cm)
Atlanta, GA 17.5 in (44.6 cm)
Birmingham, AL 17 in (43 cm)
Montreal, QC 16.1 in (41 cm)
Washington, D.C. 13 in (33 cm)
New York, NY 12 in (30.5 cm)
Mobile, AL 3 in (7.6 cm)
Hammond, LA 2 in (5.1 cm)

The 1980 snow was about 6in around the Asheville area, with up to 12in state wide. It was a fart in the wind compared to the 93 blizz

Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962 was even worse than 1980, but this is a Staff and wire report so AC-T just copy and pasted it from another news source
Stefanie- Candler

Hendersonville, NC

#12 Mar 1, 2009
OK now guys, we all know WNC is a hard area to predict the weather. We probably will get some snow, but that doesn't mean it is the end of the world. The blizzard of 1993 hit on March 13. While most of us hung in there and made it through just fine, many of us did not, so when we think that it may get bad we need to make sure our elderly and our neighbors have what they need, especially during these economic times. God Bless and be careful when traveling, I know I will be(I'm a nurse)

Since: Feb 08

Asheville

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Stefanie- Candler wrote:
OK now guys, we all know WNC is a hard area to predict the weather. We probably will get some snow, but that doesn't mean it is the end of the world. The blizzard of 1993 hit on March 13. While most of us hung in there and made it through just fine, many of us did not, so when we think that it may get bad we need to make sure our elderly and our neighbors have what they need, especially during these economic times. God Bless and be careful when traveling, I know I will be(I'm a nurse)
and we need to be thanking the nurses (my husband is a RN too) who will travel to take care of patients no matter what....and we need to be looking out for our elderly neighbors....point well taken! thank you

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#14 Mar 1, 2009
Stefanie- Candler wrote:
Amen to this post!
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#15 Mar 1, 2009
Snow? Where, it's almost 40 degrees and drizzling!
Outage

Greenville, SC

#16 Mar 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
Wet snow lays on tree limbs. Limbs break because of the weight and fall on power lines. Gosh, I'm from Florida and know that.

It is snowing in Biltmore Forest at noon, but is 38 degrees.

Since: Jul 08

Greenville, SC

#18 Mar 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
Powerlines come down when trees fall on them, Duh.
Candler Gazette

Spartanburg, SC

#19 Mar 1, 2009
not that heavy in candler...just big, wet flakes.

Since: Oct 08

Asheville

#20 Mar 1, 2009
Outage wrote:
<quoted text>
Wet snow lays on tree limbs. Limbs break because of the weight and fall on power lines. Gosh, I'm from Florida and know that.
It is snowing in Biltmore Forest at noon, but is 38 degrees.
This wet snow we're getting doesn't lie on tree limbs. It's too warm. It just melts as Dave mentioned. Perhaps when it gets colder it might accumulate but then it won't be a wet snow. It will be icy. Maybe the snow is different in Florida. Lol
Dennis Justice

Marshall, NC

#21 Mar 1, 2009
WE'RE GONNA DIE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
creepy stalker 27 min jeremy 2
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr MIDutch 151,284
rednecks are taking over asheville! 9 hr HilLiary Clintoon 19
ASHEVILLE ONENESS DEEKSHA IS a CULT yuppers! 9 hr HilLiary Clintoon 10
hillary's lie about coming under fire overseas ... 9 hr HilLiary Clintoon 2
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) 16 hr Paddling has its ... 197
Transgender Restrooms Fri Satyam Thomas Hof... 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages