Oil crunch is a hoax foisted on us by...

Oil crunch is a hoax foisted on us by the media

There are 67 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 15, 2007, titled Oil crunch is a hoax foisted on us by the media. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

I think it is ridiculous that there is such a concern for oil supply in this country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

“got a wooden head!”

Since: Oct 07

asheville, born and raised!

#42 Nov 16, 2007
RICH OIL MAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey "gangsta granny", The real reason your pissed-off
is because your not smart enough to be a rich oil man like me. If you was, you'd be as big a scoundrel as I am, and you'd live in a mantion next door to mine.(There goes the neihborhood)
hmmm, lets see, where shall i begin.... you have poor grammar, you have not a clue how to spell mansion nor neighborhood, yup, i guess you DO fit in with the likes of old g dubyah and his cronies. i consider myself lucky to be the dumb, hick that i am because that is EXACTLY what keeps me out of your neighborhood and far, far away from your goofy illiterate, brainwashed ass. bring it on rich oil man, i absolutely LOVE it when people throw stones at me.
Astute Observer

Maxton, NC

#43 Nov 16, 2007
Jim Dillon wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a from New York to Miami transplant. Recognize the language. Wish we could keep the dirt bags from ending up here.
Your a brain dead yo yo. Born and raised right here in North Carolina smart guy.Your and not all that bright either, typical product of government skrewls. lol
Webster

Washington, DC

#44 Nov 16, 2007
The author and G-Hogg are completely missing the big picture. There IS a supply problem or more precisely a PRODUCTION problem. Production is having trouble keeping up with Demand which is surging in places like India and China.

To make things worse, many oil producing contries have reached peak production. Peak is the point at which about half of the recoverable reserves are extracted. The second half becomes more expensive to recover and is not necessary "light sweet" crude.

The United States used to produce 11 million barrels per day. Today we produce less than 6 million. Less than 6 million despite great advances in extraction and exploration technologies. The peak occured in 1970. Peak will happen on a worldwide basis at some point. Many geologists and analysts already believe it's happened. It's not rocket science. There is only so much and we consume 80+ million barrels PER DAY. Do the math.

The US will be the absolutely worse off country when this happens because we have done very little to prepare. Welcome to a brand new world.
Jim Bob

Manteo, NC

#45 Nov 16, 2007
Glad you chimed in, Webster. What has Shuler done lately about getting us some rail service?

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#46 Nov 16, 2007
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Made 'ya respond. Ha. Ha! Like shootin' flies.
See there he goes again Reasonable. Or is that an echo in here. Chuckie, Chuckie, do you have something to say or are you just rattling your chain I pulled again. LOL

Since: Aug 07

Hickory, NC

#47 Nov 16, 2007
[QUOTE who="Webster".
The US will be the absolutely worse off country when this happens because we have done very little to prepare. Welcome to a brand new world.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that what I said?

“got a wooden head!”

asheville, born and raised!

#48 Nov 16, 2007
why do i get the feeling that "ANDREW IRWIN" and "RICH OIL MAN" are one in the same?
relative

Greenville, SC

#49 Nov 16, 2007
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Made 'ya respond. Ha. Ha! Like shootin' flies.
is this child related to Bob Zimmerman?
Webster

Great Falls, MT

#50 Nov 16, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what I said?
No. That's not what you said. Not even close. I agree that oil is the lifeblood of our civilization, but I don't think we agree on the reasons we need to find a replacement.

Hickory, NC

#51 Nov 16, 2007
Webster wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That's not what you said. Not even close. I agree that oil is the lifeblood of our civilization, but I don't think we agree on the reasons we need to find a replacement.
Thank you for interpreting for me. Oil production is static, be it the lack of, injunction, or refinery output.(the actual production problems seem to be an area in which you are well versed). The government is going to have to make some massive effort, and I see that as nuclear. Private industry does not possess the means.

Lincolnton, NC

#52 Nov 17, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for interpreting for me. Oil production is static, be it the lack of, injunction, or refinery output.(the actual production problems seem to be an area in which you are well versed). The government is going to have to make some massive effort, and I see that as nuclear. Private industry does not possess the means.
Yes they do. You alone produce enough hot air to power your very own windmill.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Since: Feb 07

Nebo, NC

#53 Nov 17, 2007
reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that its light, glued together, foam body might have a bearing on why we may not let it on the road? Can you imagine a crash in that?
reas,

If one chooses to risk his butt driving around in a gossamer car rather then making some UAE price (et al) a bit richer, is that not "his call"? You seem to be a laissez-faire libertarian sort; does your above not run counter to the "let the market decide" ethic which I have seen you espouse in other writings?

Just curious ...

Jeff Dreibus

Hickory, NC

#54 Nov 17, 2007
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they do. You alone produce enough hot air to power your very own windmill.
And what industry do you see stepping up? Would you mind listing them for me and how much impact they've made?

Corinth, Texas

#55 Nov 17, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
<quoted text>
And what industry do you see stepping up? Would you mind listing them for me and how much impact they've made?
Chuckie will have to check his latest fiction spy novel to see if there are any sources to be found. LOL

Corinth, Texas

#56 Nov 17, 2007
And we wait and wait while Chuckie puts on his tinfoil hat and trench coat and enters his secret room to go through his fiction novels to find the answer to G-hogg's question. Stay tuned! LOL

“Man, 2 mo' years...Whew!”

Location hidden

#57 Nov 17, 2007
2manytaxesandlaws wrote:
<quoted text>
reas,
If one chooses to risk his butt driving around in a gossamer car rather then making some UAE price (et al) a bit richer, is that not "his call"? You seem to be a laissez-faire libertarian sort; does your above not run counter to the "let the market decide" ethic which I have seen you espouse in other writings?
Just curious ...
Jeff Dreibus
I have no qualms about any idiot that wants to place themselves in a collision with a truck and this foam car. Their bad luck.

The insurance agencies and government safety agencies would never allow this vehicle on U.S. highways. Crash safety testing would "garage" these things.

Now, if everything on the highway resembled them, that would be a different matter. Until then, ain't happening, Jeff, nor would you want it to.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Nebo, NC

#58 Nov 17, 2007
reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no qualms about any idiot that wants to place themselves in a collision with a truck and this foam car. Their bad luck.
The insurance agencies and government safety agencies would never allow this vehicle on U.S. highways. Crash safety testing would "garage" these things.
Now, if everything on the highway resembled them, that would be a different matter. Until then, ain't happening, Jeff, nor would you want it to.
Wait a minute: where is your indignation at this outrage of nanny-state interference with the efforts of an industry to bring their new product to market? Why does this not inspire the same outrage you exhibited when I dared to suggest (elsewhere) that our government actually try negotiation to allow that industry to drill wherever it wanted in exchange for rational oil prices? "Let the market decide -- keep the government out of it!" you demanded. Okay: now the "market" is trying to make a "decision" other than that of following the SSDD business model -- and you are happy to see it arrive DOA.

Let me ask you: how many people will die this winter because they can't pay their heating oil bills? Where is your concern about the oil industry's failure to secure THEIR safety -- the same concern you express about the safety of the air-powered car which an independent company seeks to build and market? Methinks I smell the sour odor of duplicity induced by somebody's generous oil stock portfolio ...

You're a good guy, reas, but I gotta tell ya: those of us who have to live on the real world economy -- including the conservatives -- know a ripoff when we see it. Please don't try to pull the wool over our eyes.

J.D.
pog

Leicester, NC

#59 Nov 18, 2007
Saudi minister warns of dollar collapse

The dollar could collapse if Opec officially admits considering changing the pricing of oil into alternative currencies such as the euro, the Saudi Arabian foreign minister has warned.
Prince Al-Faisal was heard saying: "My feeling is that the mere mention that the Opec countries are studying the issue of the dollar is itself going to have an impact that endangers the interests of the countries. "There will be journalists who will seize on this point and we don't want the dollar to collapse instead of doing something good for Opec."

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg)-- Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, may revalue their currencies while maintaining their pegs to the U.S. dollar, a person familiar with Saudi monetary policy said.

The states may revalue by an unspecified amount in as soon as a month's time, the person, who declined to be identified because the matter is confidential, said yesterday. No decision has been made on whether to revalue, he said. The comments came as heads of state of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries began a summit meeting in Riyadh.

Satyam

Location hidden

#60 Nov 18, 2007
Webster wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly Webster, but do we not already have in our grasp such a replacement or I should say replacements, for a brighter future will come as a product of diverse energy sources, many of which are already in production and being used.

Two major oil producers have recently been touting their investments in alternative energy lest anyone think this is just tree hugger rhetoric.

http://www.chevron.com/deliveringenergy/geoth...
http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news...

Lincolnton, NC

#61 Nov 18, 2007
pog wrote:
Saudi minister warns of dollar collapse
The dollar could collapse if Opec officially admits considering changing the pricing of oil into alternative currencies such as the euro, the Saudi Arabian foreign minister has warned.
Prince Al-Faisal was heard saying: "My feeling is that the mere mention that the Opec countries are studying the issue of the dollar is itself going to have an impact that endangers the interests of the countries. "There will be journalists who will seize on this point and we don't want the dollar to collapse instead of doing something good for Opec."
Nov. 18 (Bloomberg)-- Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, may revalue their currencies while maintaining their pegs to the U.S. dollar, a person familiar with Saudi monetary policy said.
The states may revalue by an unspecified amount in as soon as a month's time, the person, who declined to be identified because the matter is confidential, said yesterday. No decision has been made on whether to revalue, he said. The comments came as heads of state of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries began a summit meeting in Riyadh.
It has been speculated that this was the true reason We invaded Iraq. "National Security" & all that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 min Genesis Enigma 162,033
Should Esther Manheimer Remain as Mayor of Ashe... Sun Her Ladyship the ... 2
I MISS The FORUMS FROM MOUNTAIN EXPRESS Sat Piffy 18
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha Sat Cynthia 90
Luke combs Jun 22 Steel 1
Who Has the Best Burger in Asheville? Jun 22 Muffy Pierce 8
Does Alcoholics Anonymous Work? Or Is It a Sham? Jun 22 Muffy Pierce 8

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages