Oil crunch is a hoax foisted on us by the media

I think it is ridiculous that there is such a concern for oil supply in this country. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jim Bob

Manteo, NC

#1 Nov 15, 2007
Let me guess, English 101 at Western is making all the students write letters to the paper this week. Don't you kids have anything more interesting to say than gas prices are high and drugs are bad? Who should win the presidential nominations, what should we do about Iran, who's right in the French labor dispute?

Oh yeah, gas is likely to get much more expensive in the next 5 or 10 years - the solution is to start investing in rail, and in building cities that people can get around without a car.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#2 Nov 15, 2007
"There has also been no disruption of supply from Nigeria or Venezuela."

Kennith, don't know where you are getting your information but oil from Venezula has been cut off from US refineries for some time now because the kook there nationalized all the oil companies and those of the US were forced to pull out.

China's Beijing-based oil company bought a 45 per cent stake in Nigeria's OML 130 oil area also known as the Akpo deposit from privately owned Nigerian firm South Atlantic Petroleum Ltd, CNOOC said in a statement.
They own more than the US does at this point.
Nigeria is also one of the most corrupt countries in Africa and the private owners of the oil companies in that country sell only to the highest bidder. Agreements with the US mean nothing and at this point they are withholding oil saying that to sell oil now would not go to refineries but to stock and in that way they would loose money.

I suggest you do a bit more research before coming up with statements as those presented.
Oil is a commodity market and is thus influenced by speculation and the desire to buy low and sell high. Shortages, artifical or not are caused by speculators and when the price is not to the producers liking, they shut down production or slow it until the market swings their way again.

That Ken is oil 101.
jcreek

United States

#3 Nov 16, 2007
If there is a shortage why have no stations run out of fuel? No lines like the 70's.
I agree we must get off the oil kick but it is obvious to me a lot of this increase is due to greedy speculators.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Nov 16, 2007
Let me guess, the LTE thinks oil is like water, there is a never ending supply beneath the surface of the earth. The poor fellow is upset because things are not going his way. Too bad. It's a wake up call that it is past due that we get off the oil diet before we wake up one day and have none to consume.

Funny thing is, I've noticed two big oil producers running ads about how they are investing in alternative energy, BP and I think the other is Chevron. Somebody up there in the far reaches of corporate board rooms is reading the writing on the wall. Hopefully the others will soon follow suit.

Since: Aug 07

Hickory, NC

#5 Nov 16, 2007
There's plenty of oil, if we are willing to go after it, but the environmentalist block that. There is also a faction that wants the price pushed so high that it brings our economy to the point of collapse.
Of course, these high prices will destroy the savings and bankrupt the middle and lower classes, not to mention what it is going to do to those on fixed incomes.
The gov.(God help us) will have to make some monumental effort to switch our power to nuclear, the power source of the universe.
We have one of the greatest industrial societies ever seen, but it requires fuel to run. Our food, our goods, our heat, lights, income, mobility,etc., are all tied to fuel. Remove that fuel and we will collapse within weeks.

Location hidden

#6 Nov 16, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
There's plenty of oil, if we are willing to go after it, but the environmentalist block that. There is also a faction that wants the price pushed so high that it brings our economy to the point of collapse.
Of course, these high prices will destroy the savings and bankrupt the middle and lower classes, not to mention what it is going to do to those on fixed incomes.
The gov.(God help us) will have to make some monumental effort to switch our power to nuclear, the power source of the universe.
We have one of the greatest industrial societies ever seen, but it requires fuel to run. Our food, our goods, our heat, lights, income, mobility,etc., are all tied to fuel. Remove that fuel and we will collapse within weeks.
There may be plenty today but it ain't gonna last forever and it's high time we got off the addiction. You need to understand, fossil fuels, at least initially, will be needed to create a new generation of alternative energy. We also need to preserve as much as we can for uses that are not readily converted.

We are not far at all from being capable of producing most of our electricity but THINK about running our air force and ground forces. THINK about competing with China, THINK about pollution. THINK outside the box.

“got a wooden head!”

Since: Oct 07

asheville, born and raised!

#7 Nov 16, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
yeah, screw the stupid environment. lets destroy this ridiculous rock and squeeze every drop of oil out of it. who cares if we can come up with clean, non-polluting sources of energy, theres no fun OR money in that. crash and burn! die on fire! long live bush!
you sound like a true great american hero my man.
David C

Boiling Springs, SC

#8 Nov 16, 2007
This Thanksgiving, I will be driving about 560 miles.
My car get 28 miles per gallon.
Which means it will take about 20 gallons for my trip.

If gas goes UP 20 cents, it means the trip will cost an EXTRA 4 dollars.

A measly 4 dollars extra.

An extra 4 dollars is NOT going to stop me from going on my trip this holiday.

Hickory, NC

#9 Nov 16, 2007
Satyam wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be plenty today but it ain't gonna last forever and it's high time we got off the addiction.
THINK about competing with China, THINK about pollution. THINK outside the box.
Oil is not an addiction, it is the lifeblood of this country. I agree that we need other sources of energy for the reason that it is not a clean source of energy, and the environmentalist are so dead set against further development of it that they will bring this country to collapse if they have to.
Nuclear energy is the quickest way out of this mess but there will be every roadblock imaginable thrown in the way of development of its use. Add that to the fact that private industry doesn't possess the resources for development on a massive scale, and it leaves you with the biggest government project since developing the bomb.
You can forget about China and India and oil and coal. They will suck the middle east dry of oil and China WILL kill for it when their needs increase. Pollution is the least of their worries.
But as of now...cut of our energy and you've cut us off at the neck.

Hickory, NC

#10 Nov 16, 2007
gangsta granny wrote:
<quoted text>
who cares if we can come up with clean, non-polluting sources of energy, t
If we're coming up with it, we need to hurry! Where is it? We need that clean source right now.

Location hidden

#11 Nov 16, 2007
G-hogg wrote:
<quoted text>
If we're coming up with it, we need to hurry! Where is it? We need that clean source right now.
Plenty has been done. They have a compressed air car that will go 80 miles. US will not allow it here. Plenty of new technology that gets shot down by our government, so what does that tell you. This is a game you and I are pawns whether or not we want to be. People will have to start making bootleg energy to keep big brother out.
Mountain Man

United States

#12 Nov 16, 2007
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !

HEY, HEY, HO, HO, GLOBAL WHINING HAS GOTTA GO !
HEY, HEY, HO, HO, GLOBAL WHINING HAS GOTTA GO !

Joe

Asheville, NC

#13 Nov 16, 2007
The part i always find curious is crude oil goes up $1 gas price goes up the same day. Why when crude oil goes down $1 the price stays the same?
Also the 48 cent a gallon tax could adjust a little. 18 cents federal and 30 cents to NC. Also this money does not go to road maintaince and construction.

“Man, 2 mo' years...Whew!”

Location hidden

#14 Nov 16, 2007
fastsam wrote:
<quoted text>
Plenty has been done. They have a compressed air car that will go 80 miles. US will not allow it here. Plenty of new technology that gets shot down by our government, so what does that tell you. This is a game you and I are pawns whether or not we want to be. People will have to start making bootleg energy to keep big brother out.
Do you think that its light, glued together, foam body might have a bearing on why we may not let it on the road? Can you imagine a crash in that?

Hickory, NC

#15 Nov 16, 2007
fastsam wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the guy that has figured a way to burn hydrocarbon off sea water? You know congress would never stall anything that would help the American public they represent, unless... there might be some pork. or a campaign donation involved.
bushwacker canton

AOL

#16 Nov 16, 2007
What would you expect when you elect two oil men?
Keep drinking that kool-aid.

Location hidden

#17 Nov 16, 2007
Today oil is the life blood of this country. Once upon a time hay was the life blood of this country.
Automobiles can run on electricity. Electricity can be created by many other means than the burning of fossil fuels. You suggest nuclear, I suggest wind, solar, wave, and water currents, all technologies now on line in many places.

If like Denmark we could provide 20% of our power needs with wind generators think about how much reduction in oil dependency that would mean.

Many will argue that solar is not cost effective but there are communities that have seen even with the technology we have today which is rapidly changing, large scale use of home installations by the power companies themselves, installations that are providing a surplus over and above what the home needs.

I don't have the information at my finger tips but I heard just recently they have a far cheaper method of creating solar electric cells that will increase the speed of production and decrease the cost.

Another area where a huge dependency on oil exists, maybe even larger than energy demands, is plastics and other synthetics created from petro chemicals. Some of these sustainable materials were in development prior to WW II but were side tracked by cheap oil. They are now off the shelf.

I've just read the effort and commitment that supplying our energy needs with nuclear power will take. Well sir, we would have to stop fighting in the Middle East for a share of the oil there and stop now and invest our total resources in such plants defeating all of the objections and pit falls in the process, an almost Herculean task. The article indicated that at present it takes 6 years to get a single plant on line.

We could debate this point for a very long time but without some real research into all of the various aspects including what is now being done in all areas, we are just filling pages with hot air. I would have to drop a lot of other things I'm doing just to collect the needed facts and figures which I'm not prepared to do.

I am trusting that our magnificent inventive genius and industrial might will solve the problem, is solving the problem while we sit here typing and screaming about dumb environmentalists trying to preserve the planet without which this whole discussion will become moot.

Too often we have gone headlong without considering the ramifications of our actions. Hopefully we are a bit smarter than that now. It's time to stop fighting and unite in common cause. This is going to require experts from all sides brainstorming for the best way to preserve the environment and at the same time lead us into a future of sustainability and an end to the continued depletion of our resources.
RICH OIL MAN

Casar, NC

#18 Nov 16, 2007
gangsta granny wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, screw the stupid environment. lets destroy this ridiculous rock and squeeze every drop of oil out of it. who cares if we can come up with clean, non-polluting sources of energy, theres no fun OR money in that. crash and burn! die on fire! long live bush!
you sound like a true great american hero my man.
Hey "gangsta granny", The real reason your pissed-off
is because your not smart enough to be a rich oil man like me. If you was, you'd be as big a scoundrel as I am, and you'd live in a mantion next door to mine.(There goes the neihborhood)
ANDREW IRWIN

Casar, NC

#19 Nov 16, 2007
RICH OIL MAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey "gangsta granny", The real reason your pissed-off
is because your not smart enough to be a rich oil man like me. If you was, you'd be as big a scoundrel as I am, and you'd live in a mantion next door to mine.(There goes the neihborhood)
Thanks for the laugh. The truth can be funny.
Not Intimidated

United States

#20 Nov 16, 2007
The demand has shot through the roof since 2003. China being a key region fro increased consumption.

Oil fields in Saudi Arabia and Iraq are unstable. They may have oil remaining, but one day it will be harder to extract. Deep sea sources and tar sands are challenging sources.

Efficiency and new sources like hydrogen are the key.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 12 min Chimney1 138,172
Warrant IDs suspect in woman's murder, dismembe... (Dec '08) 1 hr Sheliah 97
PORTAL TO HELL IN CHICAGO yup 2 hr funny 4
Judge Strikes Down NC Gay Marriage Ban 4 hr LOVE Well 62
SATAN Is A LIBERAL DEMOCREEP 5 hr Beelzabob 5
Do you approve of Tim Moffitt as State Represen... (Jan '12) 5 hr Ruth Anne 89
Smoking Pot Harms Your Brain & Causes Liberalism (Apr '14) 5 hr TheApePeed 44
Asheville Dating
Find my Match

Asheville Jobs

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Asheville News, Events & Info