Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?

Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?

There are 97 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 7, 2009, titled Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Carl Mumpower is at it again, lambasting local businesses for allegedly employing illegal immigrants, but this time, some of them are fighting back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Resist the Invasion!”

Since: Feb 07

Nebo, NC

#84 May 9, 2009
Raz.

Raz-ma-taz.

Razzolini.

Raz-who-is-not-Thomas.

Intentionally or otherwise, you gave me all of the clues; guess I just wasn't reading between the lines.

It just occurred to me today that there was one poster who always obsessed about my "inbred appearance". When I put that together with the gratuitous hatred, the sexual innuendo and the semi-literate post style -- I had a "bingo" moment!

And BTW Raz: where IS that blog, anyway?

Jeff Dreibus
H_Reasoner

Arden, NC

#85 May 9, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
HAHAHA !!! Glad to see you've gotten some help Jeffy , The only thing dangling would be my teabags over your piehole gimpboy HAHAHA ! You and H would certainly enjoy sitting in a dark theatre stoking eachother, You two definetely hold the highest egos on Topix !! Thanks for the link to the blog you don't write in HAHAHAHA !!!
Oh yes , You asked a question, Yes I have expressed the reason why I dropped the Citizen, I did when I called and dropped it and I have the past 4 times they've called me back to tell me how much they'd valued my readership HAHAHA To think about it they're so dense its no wonder they print your garbage , hey H why don't you see if'n they'll give you a gig HAHAHA
Nitrous Oxide, is on sale, I presume?
Lezza

Elizabeth City, NC

#86 May 9, 2009
Maureen wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the big fricking deal? He pointed out something he thought was wrong. He didn't call the students or teachers ho's. That's riding a very high horse for little reason. Find a real cause if you're in the mood to fight.
If causing problems in our schools is not a big deal then what is a big deal. This elected official should have gone to the proper authorties and report the situation. "He pointed out something he thought was wrong"; I think if you are going to point out something of this nature you need to make sure that the proper procedures are followed not make assumption. If my a samll chance he did following proper procedures and reported to law enforncement and they did not response, then he should have pointed this out to the citizens. Why point out the schools staff, teachers, students?

I have learned through the information I have read that Carl Mumpower does not think before reacting. This is a very poor quality from a person who was elected to represent all of the people not a chosen few.

If Carl Mumpower feels our town is so bad why does he continue to live in Asheville? I made the mistake of watching a city council meeting and it was very obvious and that he was going to disagree with every thing on the agenda. So sad for a elected official.
Observation

Boiling Springs, SC

#87 May 9, 2009

With the way
Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Miss California, Hannity, etc, etc
are being attacked and demonized,

I'd say today's liberalism is the new McCarthyism

Since: May 09

Spartanburg, SC

#88 May 9, 2009
Observation wrote:
With the way
Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Miss California, Hannity, etc, etc
are being attacked and demonized,
I'd say today's liberalism is the new McCarthyism
Oh that's good. I like that!!!
Keith Thomson

Charlottesville, VA

#89 May 9, 2009
Maureen wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the big fricking deal?**He pointed out something he thought was wrong.** He didn't call the students or teachers ho's. That's riding a very high horse for little reason. Find a real cause if you're in the mood to fight.
The statement he made is not true. Saying it, even though it is not true, means it is a lie. He could be suffering from a delusion, in which case he needs professional help.

Saying something that is not true is dishonorable, if he is not mentally ill. As the father of two students who have been at the school for the last six years, I demand an apology from Mumpower.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Nebo, NC

#90 May 9, 2009
Raz/CBX is awfully quiet tonight. I wonder why ...

And yes, Observation, I agree. In fact, I go beyond McCarthy: I instead refer to them as The American Taliban. "They speak heresy! Off with their heads!"

Metaphorically speaking, of course ... unless the "gun control" crowd decides to permit unregulated scimitars to fly under the radar screen ...

Jeff Dreibus
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#91 May 10, 2009
2manytaxesandlaws wrote:
Raz.
Raz-ma-taz.
Razzolini.
Raz-who-is-not-Thomas.
Intentionally or otherwise, you gave me all of the clues; guess I just wasn't reading between the lines.
It just occurred to me today that there was one poster who always obsessed about my "inbred appearance". When I put that together with the gratuitous hatred, the sexual innuendo and the semi-literate post style -- I had a "bingo" moment!
And BTW Raz: where IS that blog, anyway?
Jeff Dreibus
CBX who is not Raz who is not Thomas thinks Jeffy is becoming obsessed, He reads too closely between the lines , I addessed this already with little Jimmy but Jeffy must not have been listening HAHAHAHA !!
While I'm less than thrilled about Jeffy worrying about my silence CBX has a life outside of Topix CBX even closes the LT and interacts with people, CBX also doesn't feel the need to boost his omni potent ego by signing his hamdle at the end of every rant, You go play now Jeffy , Oh would you like me to say hello to Raz for you ? I will be seeing him today , Hmmm If one were out and about in the canada section of Jackson Co one might see CBX and Raz fishing on a creek
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#92 May 10, 2009
H_Reasoner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nitrous Oxide, is on sale, I presume?
CBX dosen't know , Why ? Are you in need H ?
Lezza

Elizabeth City, NC

#93 May 10, 2009
Keith Thomson wrote:
<quoted text>
The statement he made is not true. Saying it, even though it is not true, means it is a lie. He could be suffering from a delusion, in which case he needs professional help.
Saying something that is not true is dishonorable, if he is not mentally ill. As the father of two students who have been at the school for the last six years, I demand an apology from Mumpower.
Keith, sorry to disappoint you but Carl Mumpower or his followers will never admit a mistake. You will receive no response from his supporters.

It is very sad that he would make a statement without fact. He make these types of allegation to receive free media attention.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Nebo, NC

#94 May 10, 2009
Quote for the Day: "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I."

CBX,

By all means, please look into the mirror and extend my greetings to the Many Faces of Raz (and his "omni potent" alter ego) for me ...

Jeff Dreibus
Jim Greenwood

AOL

#95 May 10, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHA !!
If one were out and about in the canada section of Jackson Co one might see CBX and Raz fishing on a creek
Multiple personalities?
Yep, you're a disturbed little puppy!
bruce wayne

Hendersonville, NC

#96 May 10, 2009
Lezza wrote:
<quoted text>
Keith, sorry to disappoint you but Carl Mumpower or his followers will never admit a mistake. You will receive no response from his supporters.
It is very sad that he would make a statement without fact. He make these types of allegation to receive free media attention.
He rarely makes a mistake. You know what they say about liberals that never make mistakes? They don't do anything!
Huh

Asheville, NC

#97 May 10, 2009
Lezza wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Mumpower is the ONLY one on City Council that has a functioning brain. Sad but true. You're perceptions are highly skewed. STRIVE to be SMARTER.
A-Citizen

Boiling Springs, SC

#98 May 10, 2009
I'm sorry, but I'm just excited that the AC-T is acting like a legitimate member of the fourth estate. Way to catch Mumpower waving a list of 205 names!
Leeza

Lincolnton, NC

#99 May 11, 2009
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Mumpower is the ONLY one on City Council that has a functioning brain. Sad but true. You're perceptions are highly skewed. STRIVE to be SMARTER.
Maybe you should STRIVE to Be Smarter and look beyond the blind fold.

Do I agree with all decisions made by other council members, of course not, I have a mind of my own.

You need to realize Carl is a publicity hound. Do you think his actions concerning the compromise on the water agreement was professional? If he is so smart I'm certain he realized that when he walked out of the council meeting without being excused he cast a "YES" vote. Carl has a purpose in every action he takes. To me this was Carl's way of voting "YES" but wanted the publicity that he was against the compromise.

Just for your information I think Bill Russell is a very intelligent individual. He is a asset to the council.
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#100 May 11, 2009
2manytaxesandlaws wrote:
Quote for the Day: "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I."
CBX,
By all means, please look into the mirror and extend my greetings to the Many Faces of Raz (and his "omni potent" alter ego) for me ...
Jeff Dreibus
HAHAHA !! Jeffy Jimmy and H make three, The triangle of love is complete , Idiots all HAHAHAHA !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Royal Pines Park and Pool (Dec '15) 3 hr Royal pines native 4
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 hr Subduction Zone 161,474
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha 17 hr Normal One 75
cult in asheville and missing persons (Jan '11) 17 hr Normal One 64
Weird Sounds like Sirens across the Valley Sat AJones 3
Does Ingles Warehouse use EVerify? Fri The Normal One 2
Coming to AVL - City Council Elections by District May 25 Her Ladyship the ... 3

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages