Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?

There are 97 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 7, 2009, titled Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Carl Mumpower is at it again, lambasting local businesses for allegedly employing illegal immigrants, but this time, some of them are fighting back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

H_Reasoner

Flat Rock, NC

#23 May 7, 2009
"Tail-Gunner Joe" was, in fact, a terribly flawed man... the odd thing is: Most of what he said was generally accurate, as historical documents have revealed.

We love to "kill the messenger" in the U.S., based upon their personal flaws.. and sometimes, rightfully so, when the messenger's flaws overwhelm and obscure their message... but, in doing so... we lose actual message (Wasn't it Tom, the "Village Fool", who pointed out that the Emperor had no clothes?). It's just human nature. Who was really the "bad guy", Tail-Gunner Joe, or as history has revealed: Alger Hiss? The Rosenbergs? What was the ultimate cost to America? Popular sentiment and Hollywood depictions, or actual cost to our national security? Joe may have been a bum... but the bogey-man really was there.

BTW: McCarthy didn't "blacklist" anybody in Hollywood... But, of course, most of what we know about history comes from Hollywood.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#24 May 7, 2009
Boil and his ilk are so anti conservative they will say and do anything to slander someone without giving one thought about the truth. Boil is a keith olberman wannabe. I can see why asheville c&t is stuck with this liberal airhead, he fits right in with the other airheads living in asheville.
OH BOY

Asheville, NC

#25 May 7, 2009
at least Mumpower will get off his behind and do something about illegal aliens. What are you doing Mr. Boyle? Oh that's right, you're sitting behind a computer calling people names, that will get rid of the problem for sure, NOT!
Jackson Girl

United States

#26 May 7, 2009
Has anyone noticed that Mumpower's rants have disappeared from the editorial pages of the C-T? Maybe the modern day McCarthite will start his own paper.
Corrine

Lincolnton, NC

#27 May 7, 2009
Ronald Frobnitz wrote:
Once again John Boyle has written an excellent column. He reminded the voters of Asheville of the terrible mistake they made electing a whack job to city council. I'm old enough to remember the terrible McCarthy era. Not one single person McCarthy accused of being a traitor was found guilty of anything remotely resembling being a traitor. His actions with his anti communist crusade were as dispicable as those southern racist governors who tried to turn Americans against Americans because of the color of their skin. McCarthy was a national disgrace then. Mumpower is a local disgrace today.
Excellent post. Carl Mumpower only cares about his own personal gain. He will say or do anything to anyone if he feels it is in his own personal interest.

As a leader of our community I would check with the business owner before making assumption. How can someone assume because you are Hispanic you are not in the US legally. I know several Hispanic in the area who came here legally, pay taxes, and contribute to our city.
paul varner

United States

#28 May 7, 2009
For the record , I enjoy ... no, make that : "I very much enjoy" .. seeing everybody get riled up.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#29 May 7, 2009
uptohere wrote:
Threats of bodily harm? What next, burning crosses?
Don't worry about Citizen X, He is retarded.
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#30 May 7, 2009
OH BOY wrote:
at least Mumpower will get off his behind and do something about illegal aliens. What are you doing Mr. Boyle? Oh that's right, you're sitting behind a computer calling people names, that will get rid of the problem for sure, NOT!
What?!?

That's what Mummy did (try reading the article), he sent an email to ICE point fingers at local business where he thinks illegal immigrants are working.

How the heck would he know if the folks are illegal or not (did he check zee papers?)? Just because an individual appears to be foriegn, doesn't mean they are in this Country illegally.

I am all for deportation or a path to citizenship for immigrants who are currently here illegal.

Remember friends it was Ronnie Reagan who started this mess by allowing amnesty for all illegals years ago: that's right a REPUBLICAN.

The FEDS have publicly stated (even to local LEOs), that they are only concerned about "criminal" illegal immigrants.
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#31 May 7, 2009
Jackson Girl wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Mumpower's rants have disappeared from the editorial pages of the C-T? Maybe the modern day McCarthite will start his own paper.
Maybe just maybe the AC-Ts figured out that between Mumpower, Dreibus, and Boyer spewing out their hatred and fear was causing them subscribers , It most certainly cost them my subscription
spud

United States

#32 May 7, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
As an elected official, he may be open to lawsuits for liable and slander.
Shh. Don't be waking up the lawyers with talk of easy money. It's bad enough the sissy liberals are all worked up over Mumpower wanting laws enforced.
spud

United States

#33 May 7, 2009
OH BOY wrote:
I think Boyle is a closet ACORN organizer trying to assure that Dems. will get all illegal votes that are cast.

Since: May 09

Spartanburg, SC

#34 May 7, 2009
H_Reasoner wrote:
"Tail-Gunner Joe" was, in fact, a terribly flawed man... the odd thing is: Most of what he said was generally accurate, as historical documents have revealed.
We love to "kill the messenger" in the U.S., based upon their personal flaws.. and sometimes, rightfully so, when the messenger's flaws overwhelm and obscure their message... but, in doing so... we lose actual message (Wasn't it Tom, the "Village Fool", who pointed out that the Emperor had no clothes?). It's just human nature. Who was really the "bad guy", Tail-Gunner Joe, or as history has revealed: Alger Hiss? The Rosenbergs? What was the ultimate cost to America? Popular sentiment and Hollywood depictions, or actual cost to our national security? Joe may have been a bum... but the bogey-man really was there.
BTW: McCarthy didn't "blacklist" anybody in Hollywood... But, of course, most of what we know about history comes from Hollywood.
Good post! The rest of the world will never acknowledge this considering that they only listen to Hollywood.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#35 May 7, 2009
Corrine wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post. Carl Mumpower only cares about his own personal gain. He will say or do anything to anyone if he feels it is in his own personal interest.
As a leader of our community I would check with the business owner before making assumption. How can someone assume because you are Hispanic you are not in the US legally. I know several Hispanic in the area who came here legally, pay taxes, and contribute to our city.
How stupid can you be? Carl never panders to anyone and never will. He will tackle any problem and call it like it is and he knows airheads like you and boil will say all manner of lies about him. The man has guts, something democrats lack.
H_Reasoner

Flat Rock, NC

#36 May 7, 2009
Drug crime and the impact of illegal immigration on our local societal infrastructure are really two of the downside aspects of life in this area. Now, is it that these issues are not present, or is it that Mumpower is, to some, the disturbingly candid and controversial messenger... pointing out that there are some big warts on the arse of the "Jewell of the Mountains"?

Do we think if we can effectively "kill the messenger", so to speak, that we will have cleaned-up the mess... or just swept it under the rug? Out of sight... out of mind? Go along to get along?
Doesn't seem to be working out too well, so far, does it?
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#37 May 7, 2009
2manytaxesandlaws wrote:
Hey, Mr. Answer Man -- I've got a question:
Why the he** aren't you on the editorial page with the rest of us malcontents and opinionated hacks?
You obviously have a vendetta against Dr. Carl, and that’s fine -- if the paper is willing to tolerate your serial intolerance. But you are rendering a personal opinion (“attack”?) in the soft news section, and that is a journalistic no-no as you well know.
This is a perfect illustration of why today’s citizens and officials refuse to try to make a difference: because they will be relentlessly vilified by the media if their views do not fall into lock-step with those of the local newspaper or television station. So much for our theoretical First Amendment Rights ...
On Tuesday, I published a little treatise about the Republican Party’s inexorable slide into irrelevance (on the “Opinion” page, where it belonged). Perhaps it is time to publish an essay about the similar fate of the print media, since it refuses to acknowledge that this sort of ruthless, one-sided “reportage” is precisely what is propelling those who seek a different view to the internet.
C’mon, A C-T readers – let’s flood ‘em with several guest editorials in support of Dr. Carl and insist that they publish at least one of them for every anti-Mumpower rant which appears anywhere in the paper – a totally reasonable request! Send them to Jim Buchanan at JBuchanan@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.
And no, Jim, please don't bother to thank me ...
Jeff Dreibus
What a joke you are you inbred looking gimp , One day the AC-Ts will wake up and realize you cost them revenue !!
Yep

Asheville, NC

#39 May 7, 2009
Ronald Frobnitz wrote:
Once again John Boyle has written an excellent column. He reminded the voters of Asheville of the terrible mistake they made electing a whack job to city council. I'm old enough to remember the terrible McCarthy era. Not one single person McCarthy accused of being a traitor was found guilty of anything remotely resembling being a traitor. His actions with his anti communist crusade were as dispicable as those southern racist governors who tried to turn Americans against Americans because of the color of their skin. McCarthy was a national disgrace then. Mumpower is a local disgrace today.
A bigger disgrace than your whiney a**? Not possible. WHAT have YOU done to curtail the ILLEGAL INVASION, Frobnitz?
robot f kennedee

Hendersonville, NC

#40 May 7, 2009
kennedy worked for mccarthy.
how bout that you liberal maroons??
mountain woman

AOL

#41 May 7, 2009
thank God for Mumpower, he is at least trying to get rid of the illegals who have taken over this country. I support him and will as long as he keeps up the good work.
Corrine

Wilmington, NC

#42 May 7, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text>How stupid can you be? Carl never panders to anyone and never will. He will tackle any problem and call it like it is and he knows airheads like you and boil will say all manner of lies about him. The man has guts, something democrats lack.
Who is the stupid one...I never stated Ralph panders to anyone, I stated he only cares about himself and his own agenda.

I do admit Ralph (Carl) is a joke.

You state the man has guts...tell me one thing he has done that takes guts.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Since: Feb 07

Nebo, NC

#43 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
<quoted text>
What a joke you are you inbred looking gimp , One day the AC-Ts will wake up and realize you cost them revenue !!
Really, Thomas, such low-brow rhetoric is really beneath someone who would pretend to have once been a psychologist. You can attempt to "dumb it down", but we all know the true identity of CBX.

"The A C-Ts" need first to wake up and acknowledge that they have met the enemy and "he is them". Perhaps then their fortunes will turn around.

Or perhaps not.

Jeff Dreibus

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 30 min dirtclod 141,337
Atrocities and Criminal Homicides in Iraq 38 min Amy Goodman 3
The Troops Never Defended Our Freedom in Iraq a... 1 hr Hortence Hunnicutt 9
treasure club 7 hr glenn 1
Another criminal running for city council! 9 hr Cecil B 14
Where Did Drunk Bothwell Thread Go (Jul '14) 9 hr Cecil B 17
OBAMA & Other Liberals Think American Voters Ar... 17 hr Dezarey 4
More from around the web

Asheville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]