Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?

Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?

There are 97 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 7, 2009, titled Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Carl Mumpower is at it again, lambasting local businesses for allegedly employing illegal immigrants, but this time, some of them are fighting back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
uptohere

Maxton, NC

#1 May 7, 2009
Isn't name calling the last refuge of one who has lost the argument? Would Mr. Boyle report his neighbor if he were a bank robber, serial murderer, pedophile? After reading this article, I think he's of the "no snitching" mentality.

The point is, if Mr. Boyle's neighbor is an illegal alien, he can't know if that person is a terrorist, murderer, or rapist because that person who lives next to him with impunity is unknown to the government and the general population. How many unknown aliens can a civil society absorb without living in fear? The homogeniety of your populace and culture is lost, and the rule of law breaks down.

The cost of illegal immigration is borne by the U.S. taxpayer. The only benefit is derived by under-the-table employers and those who profit from their crimes.

I would suggest that if Mr. Boyle believes none of these are illegals, he should prove it himself.

After all, as in politics, all law enforcement is local, that's where the criminals are.
LOKEL

United States

#2 May 7, 2009
uptohere wrote:
Isn't name calling the last refuge of one who has lost the argument? Would Mr. Boyle report his neighbor if he were a bank robber, serial murderer, pedophile? After reading this article, I think he's of the "no snitching" mentality.
The point is, if Mr. Boyle's neighbor is an illegal alien, he can't know if that person is a terrorist, murderer, or rapist because that person who lives next to him with impunity is unknown to the government and the general population. How many unknown aliens can a civil society absorb without living in fear? The homogeniety of your populace and culture is lost, and the rule of law breaks down.
The cost of illegal immigration is borne by the U.S. taxpayer. The only benefit is derived by under-the-table employers and those who profit from their crimes.
I would suggest that if Mr. Boyle believes none of these are illegals, he should prove it himself.
After all, as in politics, all law enforcement is local, that's where the criminals are.
Why should anyone have to PROVE that what another person says (especially a crack pot like Mummy), is true or false.

The fact in this matter, is that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, is responsible for the enforcement of this Country's immigration laws and REFUSES to fully follow the laws that have been in place for years!

Mummy can rant and rave until he is blue in the face, but that will not get ICE to actively investigate the alleged illegal aliens in Asheville, NC.

There are far more illegals in places like Texas, California, and the same situation occurs in those places as well ....

I would like the CT (Mr. Boyle), to do a follow up story on the workers who were detained at the Mills Manufacturing plant in Weaverville, and find out how m any of the "illegals" have actually been deported, or where they are if they have not left the US.
uptohere

Maxton, NC

#4 May 7, 2009
The population of North Carolina is approximately 9,250,000. Of that population, between 400,000 and 600,000 are estimated to be in this country illegally. This makes North Carolina one of the top ten destinations for those on the lam from the border patrol. The fact that North Carolina had the welcome mat out for anyone illegally here, including drivers' licenses and a laissez-faire attitude that it was a "federal" problem has led us to where we are.

One in 10 of the "legal" (those who have to PROVE who they are) labor force in North Carolina are out of work, and 1 in 9 have filed for unemployment compensation. With state tax collections down 40%, how long can we sustain an illegal population working off the books, availing themselves of the social services net, a free education, free health care, and sending billions out of the country?

Anyone arguing for continued replacement of citizens with illegal aliens freeloading off the social safety net provided by taxpayers is unconscionable.
uptohere

Maxton, NC

#6 May 7, 2009
Threats of bodily harm? What next, burning crosses?
Dr Frogg

Hendersonville, NC

#7 May 7, 2009
What a surprise - another apologist for illegal activity given a forum by the ACT. But then we already know too well who the ACT's real constituents are: illegals, developers and businesses who hire them.
alekas

Glen Ellyn, IL

#8 May 7, 2009
so now it's McCarthyism to want to enforce immigration law? Is that really the approach that the left wants to take? Never fails that when a liberal is unable to muster the substance for a good argument, the default maneuver is to attack the other person.

Since: Mar 09

Chesapeake, VA

#9 May 7, 2009
get his what? Maybe he spoke too soon, but he is allowed to speak, and we do have individuals living here illegally....and threats?
KarmasHelper

Suffolk, VA

#10 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
I relish the day when the AC-Ts headlines read Councilman Carl Mumpower attacked in parking lot by unknown individuals, Witnesses say several dark skinned men were spotted leaving the scene, Mission hospital had no comment as Mr Mumpower was still in surgery !!
Keep pushing Karl and you will get yours !!
Congrats!!! You have just been reported for attempting to incite violence against an elected official. I will also save this thread so that in the event something like that happens, the authorities will have a good place to start their investigation.
Charlie

Asheville, NC

#11 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
I relish the day when the AC-Ts headlines read Councilman Carl Mumpower attacked in parking lot by unknown individuals, Witnesses say several dark skinned men were spotted leaving the scene, Mission hospital had no comment as Mr Mumpower was still in surgery !!
Wow!
And some think Sgt.Rock's comments were out of line. What do you think about this remark, Tarheelborn?
Devils advocate

AOL

#12 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
not cute - very inappropriate
Truthful

AOL

#13 May 7, 2009
I think Mumpower just enjoys as much attentin and publicity as he can get. Maybe his wife doesn't give him the attention he needs.

Since: Feb 08

Spartanburg, SC

#14 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
And this comes from one of the ones who are so against torture. But wishing harm on someone that has different views than you is ok.

“No Mercy for Munchkins”

Since: Dec 08

Clovis, CA

#15 May 7, 2009
Joseph Welch made his famous statement to Joe McCarthy after McCarthy has passed around a doctored photo in an attempt to make it appear as if a perfectly innocent man were a communist. Mumpower hasn't phoneyed up any photos or documents, so Boyle's comparison of him to McCarthy is both hyperbolic and silly.
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#16 May 7, 2009
former native wrote:
get his what? Maybe he spoke too soon, but he is allowed to speak, and we do have individuals living here illegally....and threats?
Sure he's allowed to speak this is America but he's throwing out accusations that he can't prove and he doesn't spread his accusations around he's not talking about illegal immigrants he's talking about Mexicans and everybody knows it, There would be no difference than if Mumpower said I believe there may be perversions surrounding former native I don't have any proof but you might want to keep an eye out for him Now what makes either correct to say ??
Citizen Blogger X

United States

#17 May 7, 2009
KarmasHelper wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats!!! You have just been reported for attempting to incite violence against an elected official. I will also save this thread so that in the event something like that happens, the authorities will have a good place to start their investigation.
HAHA you do that Barney HAHA
Devils advocate

AOL

#18 May 7, 2009
Citizen Blogger X wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure he's allowed to speak this is America but he's throwing out accusations that he can't prove and he doesn't spread his accusations around he's not talking about illegal immigrants he's talking about Mexicans and everybody knows it, There would be no difference than if Mumpower said I believe there may be perversions surrounding former native I don't have any proof but you might want to keep an eye out for him Now what makes either correct to say ??
yep
LOKEL

United States

#19 May 7, 2009
As an elected official, he may be open to lawsuits for liable and slander.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Since: Feb 07

Nebo, NC

#20 May 7, 2009
Hey, Mr. Answer Man -- I've got a question:

Why the he** aren't you on the editorial page with the rest of us malcontents and opinionated hacks?

You obviously have a vendetta against Dr. Carl, and that’s fine -- if the paper is willing to tolerate your serial intolerance. But you are rendering a personal opinion (“attack”?) in the soft news section, and that is a journalistic no-no as you well know.

This is a perfect illustration of why today’s citizens and officials refuse to try to make a difference: because they will be relentlessly vilified by the media if their views do not fall into lock-step with those of the local newspaper or television station. So much for our theoretical First Amendment Rights ...

On Tuesday, I published a little treatise about the Republican Party’s inexorable slide into irrelevance (on the “Opinion” page, where it belonged). Perhaps it is time to publish an essay about the similar fate of the print media, since it refuses to acknowledge that this sort of ruthless, one-sided “reportage” is precisely what is propelling those who seek a different view to the internet.

C’mon, A C-T readers – let’s flood ‘em with several guest editorials in support of Dr. Carl and insist that they publish at least one of them for every anti-Mumpower rant which appears anywhere in the paper – a totally reasonable request! Send them to Jim Buchanan at [email protected]

And no, Jim, please don't bother to thank me ...

Jeff Dreibus

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#21 May 7, 2009
"Is Mumpower a modern-day Joe McCarthy?"

I certainly hope so. McCarthy was right.

"McCarthy, exonerated by the Venona Papers if not before, was basically right about Soviet agents working for the U.S. government."

http://www.amazon.com/Treason-Liberal-Treache...
Ronald Frobnitz

Dillon, SC

#22 May 7, 2009
Once again John Boyle has written an excellent column. He reminded the voters of Asheville of the terrible mistake they made electing a whack job to city council. I'm old enough to remember the terrible McCarthy era. Not one single person McCarthy accused of being a traitor was found guilty of anything remotely resembling being a traitor. His actions with his anti communist crusade were as dispicable as those southern racist governors who tried to turn Americans against Americans because of the color of their skin. McCarthy was a national disgrace then. Mumpower is a local disgrace today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 54 min The FACTory 162,360
Anyone Remember? (Mar '09) 6 hr Susan Jaya Anders... 8
Cult in Asheville (Dec '10) 7 hr Right Reverend Billy 113
Vote for Donald J Trump (Oct '16) 23 hr Deplorable Lieberal 33
Jeffrey Scott Barfield Wed Little Boy Blue 7
I Feel Unsafe At Asheville Oneness Deeksha (Jan '17) Wed Safe Space Seeker 108
Time to CONSOLIDATE Avl City and Buncombe Count... (Jan '17) Wed Hon Esther Evilza... 7

Asheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Asheville Mortgages