High price of gas leads reader to seek alternatives

I believe that a pressing economic issue of today that affects everyone is gas prices skyrocketing. Full Story
Dionysis

Asheville, NC

#2 Nov 16, 2007
David C wrote:
This Thanksgiving, I will be driving about 560 miles.
My car get 28 miles per gallon.
Which means it will take about 20 gallons for my trip.
If gas goes UP 20 cents, it means the trip will cost an EXTRA 4 dollars.
A measly 4 dollars extra.
An extra 4 dollars is NOT going to stop me from going on my trip this holiday.
Gee, that's swell. As long as YOU are not too inconvenienced, then no need to comment on the actual content of the letter, and certainly no need to concern yourself with the rest of the country.
Mountain Man

United States

#3 Nov 16, 2007
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !

HEY, HEY, HO, HO, GLOBAL WHINING HAS GOTTA GO !

john l barker

Matthews, NC

#5 Nov 16, 2007
I have driven diesel cars since 1971. They last longer, get better mileage on fuel and for most of those years gallon prices were 10% lower than gas. Now they are about 10% higher than gas, but these cars can run on waste vegetable oil which is free at most restaurants. This "surcharge" on diesel fuel has driven truck transportation cost of goods to the point that we are no longer able to buy other necessities.
Jim Bob

Manteo, NC

#6 Nov 16, 2007
Trains, bicycles, sidewalks, dense building patterns.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#7 Nov 16, 2007
According to an ABC report:

One of the things that happens when you get this car is that you start obsessing on the miles per gallon that you're getting."

It's dawning on Adler and other hybrid owners that those government numbers on the window sticker are unrealistic.

60 MPG, or 30 MPG?

The Environmental Protection Agency calculates its numbers in the lab, but "Consumer Reports" magazine found recently that taking the cars out on the road yields a different result.

"The city mileage is where we see the biggest differential," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center.

The Toyota Prius, for example, gets 60 mpg in EPA tests, but 35 in Consumer Reports' study.

The EPA says the Honda Civic Hybrid should get 48 miles while driving in the city, but Consumer Reports puts the number at just 26.

Overall energy cost: Prius $3.25 per mile Chevrolet Tahoe SUV $2.94 per mile.

My Buick LaCrosse gets as good of milage as the Honda Civic Hybrid on ordinary driving milage. I get over 28.7mpg on highway with an average speed of 69.8MPH over 376 miles. I checked it on a recent trip from Texas to Atlanta and return.

Not bad for a comfortable, safe vehicle so I think I'll keep my Buick.

Cost of 07 Civic Hybrid MSRP-$24,350 Total Cost to Own $38,175 Cost per Mile:$0.51

Estimated Market Price for Pirus$22,509

Total Cost to Own $38,808 Cost per Mile:$0.52

Buick Lacrosse 07:$23,474, Cost to own: 45,028 Cost per mile:$0.60

Depreciation is actually greater on both hybrids than on the Buick. I found that surprising.
Yokel hunter

United States

#9 Nov 16, 2007
Mountain Man wrote:
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
Yokel hunter has found himself a first class yokel This all you got to say you mental case? You gotta go? You sure do straight to the nearest loony bin.
Dionysis

Asheville, NC

#10 Nov 16, 2007
Mountain Man wrote:
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
That you are stupid is self-evident; the real question is, however: are you retarded?

Since: May 07

Maiden, NC

#11 Nov 16, 2007
Granny wrote:
Mr. David will pay an extra $4.00 for GAS. Add what everything else will cost because of gas prices.
And we can blame the steep increase in food prices on ethanol production. We just can't win.

Since: Feb 07

Camp Lejeune, NC

#12 Nov 16, 2007
john l barker wrote:
I have driven diesel cars since 1971. They last longer, get better mileage on fuel and for most of those years gallon prices were 10% lower than gas. Now they are about 10% higher than gas, but these cars can run on waste vegetable oil which is free at most restaurants. This "surcharge" on diesel fuel has driven truck transportation cost of goods to the point that we are no longer able to buy other necessities.
I drive a diesel car as well, and own a diesel tractor. Ever since Bush got in, diesel has jumped in price and seems pegged at 20% more than gasoline, for reasons that fail to make any sense.

Diesel is the real fuel that drives the commercial and agricultural sectors of the economy, and the crooked oil companies have figured out that these sectors either have to buy the fuel or shut down, so they have decided to sock it to those who must have it to make a living.
Harold

Johnson City, TN

#13 Nov 16, 2007
I was going to buy a horse but hay went out of site.

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#14 Nov 16, 2007
I was gonna walk...but need new shoes.

Oh well I am gonna walk again though...to places close enough. Food gone sky high so cant eat much. So hey them extra 15 pounds is gonna come off :)

“got a wooden head!”

Since: Oct 07

asheville, born and raised!

#15 Nov 16, 2007
Mountain Man wrote:
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
STOP GLOBAL WHINING !
how many threads have you posted this ridiculous comment on? got anything else to say LIMPbaugh?
White Warrior

Johnson City, TN

#16 Nov 17, 2007
Ravenz Moon wrote:
I was gonna walk...but need new shoes.
Oh well I am gonna walk again though...to places close enough. Food gone sky high so cant eat much. So hey them extra 15 pounds is gonna come off :)
I've had to cut back with food, gas, cigarettes, milk, and sex. Ridiculous.

“Ride free”

Since: Nov 07

Asheville

#17 Nov 17, 2007
Nobody is gonna quit driving, so quit complaining and pay up, or buy a motorcycle and see the world in a differant way and enjoy 50 mpg while doing it.
Jim Bob

Manteo, NC

#18 Nov 17, 2007
I know a few people who have gone car-free in the last couple of years. I think I probably will too when my old heap finally dies.

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#19 Nov 17, 2007
White Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had to cut back with food, gas, cigarettes, milk, and sex. Ridiculous.
I don't think your suppose to use gas for sex. I say cut back on everything else but the milk and sex.
rickm

United States

#20 Nov 17, 2007
Bus for me, 15/mo for a pass sounds pretty good. I'll get some walking in and I won't have to worry about parking.
IWantMyCountryBa ck

Candler, NC

#21 Nov 17, 2007
Ravenz Moon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think your suppose to use gas for sex. I say cut back on everything else but the milk and sex.
But drinking all that milk may cause gas during sex.

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#22 Nov 18, 2007
IWantMyCountryBack wrote:
<quoted text>
But drinking all that milk may cause gas during sex.
Umm..make sure your not on bottom then. Don't want to read about it in the CT that two people found smushed into ceiling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DEMOCRATS DON'T LIKE OBAMA EITHER yuppers 1 hr SUSAN ANDERSON 37
OBAMA & GRUBER "Depended On The Stupity Of The ... 2 hr CULLEN ANDERSON 15
Peculiar, Queer, Racist, Rapist: LINCOLN 3 hr CULLEN ANDERSON 2
Buncombe man gets 20 years for sex crimes | NEW... (Mar '08) 10 hr HRDK 18
cattle ranchers Wed SUSAN PAGE 1
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Wed Dogen 141,003
doc watson tribute Wed For David Holt 2
Asheville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web