Vote yes for new Briggs School - Sent...

Vote yes for new Briggs School - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 46 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 9, 2010, titled Vote yes for new Briggs School - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Everyone understands times are tough, but in the debate over Briggs there is one certainty: We need a new school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 9, 2010
Yes its all about the kids people should be responsible for thier own kids.
The older people cannot pay this the town has bleed them dry.
The state want this let them pay 100% or the people with kids can MOVE im sick of this ill be moving any ways there is not another town in this state of 321 towns that will pay this much.
Also were no 3 on foreclosures. Time to be responsible and vote no on this oversized school in a poor town.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Dec 9, 2010
This is to bad were voting no This school is way to big and will even cost more to heat than the present school.
yikes

AOL

#3 Dec 9, 2010
based on the above two posts your town is in deperate need for improved education-
Common Sense Ashburnham

Cobalt, CT

#4 Dec 9, 2010
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

People are making up their own facts when they state that the school is oversized, or would cost more to heat than the present school. The Briggs Building Committee has worked for years to design something that is energy efficient and a sensible learning environment. Folks would know that if they attended any of the meetings, or read the details in the newspaper.

Yes, the price tag is significant. But it's time to act like adults here. The great generations who came before us made sacrifices and built our schools and other infrastructure, and now it is time for us to do the same for future generations.
vote no

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Dec 9, 2010
Dear Common sense- please get some! We do not need a new school in this town with these types of depressed economic situations we are now facing! I have no kids in school but am voting no because I have not gotten a pay increase in 2 years and my taxes keep on growning! sorry!
Paula-Mom23Ashbu rnham

Gardner, MA

#6 Dec 9, 2010
For those that dont think we need a new elementary school in Ashburnham, please feel free to stop by for an Open House tonite 12/9 from 6-7pm. Or for a tour during lunch hours next week before the vote. Please walk down the halls & look into the classrooms and see for yourself why a new school is needed.

Those of us that support this new build fully realize that this is a completely depressed economic time. But we realize this needs to be done and would rather get the 58% reimbursement the MSBA has set aside for our town. Why would anyone think the right thing to do is look the other way and believe this problem is going to go away.

Telling people with children to move out of town, doesnt seem very realistic. One wonders if the logic "my house hasnt burned down, why do I have to pay for a new Public Safety Bldg" also applies. My husband hasnt had a raise in 3 yrs, but we are willing to make what ever sacrifices are needed to cover the increase to our taxes. Why, because it is the fiscally responsible thing to do.
Cathy Cunningham

Townsend, MA

#7 Dec 9, 2010
citizen wrote:
This is to bad were voting no This school is way to big and will even cost more to heat than the present school.
The new school will cost LESS to heat than the current school, even though it is larger.
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Dec 9, 2010
I do not have the money i only heat 1/2 the house,use very little electricity only have social security, never had kids.
I shall not pay for this period! The town planned for this 6 years and allows to build a wasted public sqafety building and then a remodeled town hall with leaking roof and runs only four days a week. TIME TO GROW UP ASHBURHHAM!
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Dec 9, 2010
Dont forget this is how our country got into dire straights Spending money WE DONT HAVE.
We have other bill not even paid public safety building,town hall stc.
Dianna

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Dec 9, 2010
This town needs a wake up call. We have a fire dept that does not have coverage after 5 pm, but we have a 6 million building? We will build this new school and then not have any money to pay teachers to teach? and this preschool space. Where are we getting the money for these new preschool teachers? the new school will have a space for preschool room but no teachers to teach? Gas is 3 dollars a gal, people can not keep paying these outragous prices for the basic needs of their families and continue to pay these outragous tax hikes from the town and from the state. I am voting no, and not because I hate the children, I just want to be able to feed the children!
vote yes

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Dec 9, 2010
Do it for the future of the children!
yikes

AOL

#12 Dec 9, 2010
ANGRY wrote:
I do not have the money i only heat 1/2 the house,use very little electricity only have social security, never had kids.
I shall not pay for this period! The town planned for this 6 years and allows to build a wasted public sqafety building and then a remodeled town hall with leaking roof and runs only four days a week. TIME TO GROW UP ASHBURHHAM!
sorry but if you are living on social security and didn't plan better for your retirement, you are not someone who's financial planning advice I would follow.
If you only heat 1/2 your house and limit electric use, maybe you should sell and downsize. And yes, you probably should have sold years ago when the market was up-another reason not to follow your financial advice.
Talk about growing up...
Dianna

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Dec 9, 2010
To YIkes- that is extrememly rude comment to make- sounds like some of you Yes people will stop at nothing including insulting people. How dare you tell someone that they should of saved better- or sold their house a few years ago- no one knew what a finicial mess we would be in at the present time and furthmore, many many in town are living on ss and they did not get an increase this year or last year for that matter. Why dont you have some compassion for our fellow townspeople. Not everyone likes the idea of their taxes going up but they are not throwing insults around to you yes folks! totally unbelievable- just like the Democracts when they don't like what they hear they start with the name calling- looks like someone else needs to grow up!
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Dec 9, 2010
yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry but if you are living on social security and didn't plan better for your retirement, you are not someone who's financial planning advice I would follow.
If you only heat 1/2 your house and limit electric use, maybe you should sell and downsize. And yes, you probably should have sold years ago when the market was up-another reason not to follow your financial advice.
Talk about growing up...
Yikes, you got it all wrong the town has to grow up FACT third highest foreclosure rate population wise in the whole state out of 321 towns.
the taxes are insane who STEALS all the money is anyones guess, Dont forget to VOTE NO on Briggs.
Paula-Mom23Ashbu rnham

Gardner, MA

#15 Dec 9, 2010
Dianna wrote:
To YIkes- that is extrememly rude comment to make- sounds like some of you Yes people will stop at nothing including insulting people.
Diana, I agree that the comments Yikes said were not very polite. But I take offense that you feel the need to lump Us "Yes People" into one category and feel that we will "stop at nothing". I am one of a very large group of people who are trying our best to provide all the information needed to the people of Ashburnham of why we need to vote YES for a new school. It is only a matter of time before the boiler in that school ceases to work, and once the repairs start the failed inspection notices will start to pile up for all the out of code problems at the school. At that point, it will cost You the taxpayer the same amount of money to fix all these problems, as it will to build a Brand New School. You cant fix a sinking ship with gum & bandaids. Nobody wants a tax increase, but I can see the pink elephant at 96 Williams Road very clearly and would rather vote Yes now & know that we the Adults in Ashburnham did the wisest thing possible to fix this problem.

Please, again as I stated in my earlier post, please stop by and walk thru this school and see for yourself how much this is needed. If the only part of Briggs you've ever stepped foot in is the gym to vote, you owe it to yourself to do this.
Ash Resident

Worcester, MA

#16 Dec 9, 2010
YES! YES! YES!
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Dec 9, 2010
Let the state take this over, I know of eight on a small dead end street all voting no this will NOT get 2/3reds vote,
Jaime

East Hartford, CT

#18 Dec 9, 2010
Great article, Brian!!! VOTE YES!!!
yikes

AOL

#19 Dec 10, 2010
ANGRY wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes, you got it all wrong the town has to grow up FACT third highest foreclosure rate population wise in the whole state out of 321 towns.
the taxes are insane who STEALS all the money is anyones guess, Dont forget to VOTE NO on Briggs.
3rd highest foreclosure rate would indicate people having too much house and not enough income to support them. People who stay in a house they can't afford. People like you.
And yes its just awful and impolite for me to point out that reality. God forbid people be expected to take responsibility for their lives and finances. Lets just ignore the fact our economy collapsed due to similar irresponsiblity.
You may want to spend a little time reviewing your town budget before accusing people of stealing. Just because you don't understand the budget doesn't mean criminal activity is at hand.
yikes

AOL

#20 Dec 10, 2010
ANGRY wrote:
Let the state take this over, I know of eight on a small dead end street all voting no this will NOT get 2/3reds vote,
There you go, great insight. Let the state take it over so instead our state tax dollars can fund your local services.
Take some responsibility for your own damn town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch Misses Another Monday 4 hr Jill StPierre 55
Sam Squailia Announcement Thu Joel 12
Fitchburg seeking Vietnam Veterans to honor them Sep 28 Jill StPierre 7
News One-lane Main Street project gets underway in F... Sep 27 Main Street Nanny 10
News UPDATED: Fitchburg, Leominster residents among ... Sep 27 Main Street Nanny 5
News Leominster police: Man punched woman as she hel... Sep 24 Bruno Max 1
Does anyone know Jonathan & Patricia Beatrice? Sep 2 Need the truth 1

Ashburnham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashburnham Mortgages