Ashburnham has third highest foreclos...

Ashburnham has third highest foreclosure rate in Massachusetts - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 15 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Nov 21, 2010, titled Ashburnham has third highest foreclosure rate in Massachusetts - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

A recent study by the Massachusetts Housing Partnership shows that the foreclosure crisis has hit several North Central Massachusetts communities particularly hard, including rural Ashburnham.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

josh

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
It is the the town government and the taxes that ruined and blighted the whole town.
It will go down a lot more if they get a new school.
This is no spot for anyone to live.
Even some business moved out because of this.
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Nov 21, 2010
The Town allowed this to happen, they kept building and spending when the taxpayers could pay no more, they seemingly still have not .

Other towns will follow though, there is a mentality in town governments that they can keep raising fees and taxes and people will find a way to pay.

they are counting on this, but are forcing more and more people to have to move away

Just like our Federal and State elected officials, they simply do not care....
INS

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Nov 21, 2010
Everthing should be voted on by the people with no elected officials making the decisions.Majority should always win,not personal preference.As far as foreclosure goes we the people bailed the banks out with our tax donations,but the politicians will take the credit for that.Yes i called it a tax donation because you get nothing back when you give.Though the government does not care when a family loses there home ,I do.
Oh boy

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Nov 21, 2010
Seems like such a beautiful place to live. What a shame. The other towns listed are all dumps. Too bad.
townie

Worcester, MA

#5 Nov 21, 2010
JIm wrote:
The Town allowed this to happen, they kept building and spending when the taxpayers could pay no more, they seemingly still have not .
Other towns will follow though, there is a mentality in town governments that they can keep raising fees and taxes and people will find a way to pay.
they are counting on this, but are forcing more and more people to have to move away
Just like our Federal and State elected officials, they simply do not care....
Apparently Jim has no idea how small Town government works! The voters have final say on how their tax money is spent and they make those decisions at town meeting or the ballot box. People like Jim like to be heard and not seen, in other works he's a complainer, but does nothing to resolve issues. I bet he has never been to a town meeting.
An Observer

AOL

#6 Nov 21, 2010
INS posted, "Everthing should be voted on by the people with no elected officials making the decisions"
That's how town government works, everything has to be voted on.

As far as this article goes it's all over the board. Davis thinks this or Davis thinks that.
josh

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Nov 21, 2010
The town has not grown up, they are not very smart.
They tax you ufairly.
If they lowered taxes they would be better off.
But no they tax you at the current rebuild value minus depreciation.
There houses that are bilghted no windows, smashed walls, bad roofs etc.(these are forclosed houses)
No one will buy them because they are taxed as a good house. hence the value of surrounding houses drop and then more leave the town. it spreads.
josh

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Nov 21, 2010
An Observer wrote:
INS posted, "Everthing should be voted on by the people with no elected officials making the decisions"
That's how town government works, everything has to be voted on.
As far as this article goes it's all over the board. Davis thinks this or Davis thinks that.
Good I expect to see a vote oin thisd foolish waste of TURBINS in town, how about solar power on high school and public safety building both are EYESORES!
An Observer

AOL

#9 Nov 21, 2010
There was a vote on turbines. The By Law was changed to allow it. Were you at that meeting? The solar power came from a grant, no direct cost to the town. They are trying to save money on electrical use. So they get slammed for trying to save money and they get slammed for wasting money. You can't have it both ways.
The taxes are done according to law. The DOR (Department of Revenue) oversees this. If you don't like it CHANGE THE LAW it can be done. As far as houses in disrepair if a person buys one to flip it do you think they will fix it up and sell it cheap! No they will fix it up to it's fair value then it will be taxed accordingly. The system sure isn't perfect but until someone steps up to make changes nothing will change.
AJP

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Nov 21, 2010
I remember a few years ago when the "town" wouldn't allow a branch of the "GFA" credit union to open near the downtown, I never understood the rationale of that decision, but if that's how Asburnham looks at businesses maybe it explains the predicament it's in.
An Observer

AOL

#11 Nov 21, 2010
I was against GFA building where they first wanted to. Look at the Market, to the left is a wooded area. Had they built there the traffic would have dumped onto Lawrence Street, a bad idea in my book. The other issue to me was the lot didn't meet zoning requirements so the owner wanted to buy a strip from the town to bring it into compliance. My opinion and it is just me is why should the town sell land so one individual can profit. Had this deal gone through the owner then could have sold to GFA. I don't know about you but again it is my opinion I think GFA is better off where they ended up. (I am a customer by the way)
josh

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Nov 21, 2010
Let see where the town goes now GUARENTEED lower
Escrud

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Nov 22, 2010
Heck, lets build 3 new schools. Don't forget to vote YES on Dec. 16th?
Gary

Gardner, MA

#15 Dec 24, 2010
I think Jim;s right on as far as taxes go. Maybe not correct in who has final say.
townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently Jim has no idea how small Town government works! The voters have final say on how their tax money is spent and they make those decisions at town meeting or the ballot box. People like Jim like to be heard and not seen, in other works he's a complainer, but does nothing to resolve issues. I bet he has never been to a town meeting.
RevBawneyFwankfo oter

Northampton, MA

#16 Dec 25, 2010
townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Jim is sick and f'n tired of it all wike da west of da countwy. I'ts not Jim's job to wesolve issues, wemember? Fink abowt dat won. Liberals suck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) 5 hr POTUS 363
Jeffy Irvine 18 hr Jtn 2
10 Data And Counting Mon Captain Crunch 4
Just Another Monday Mon Turtle rider 13
roofiess Xan bar, Blues OC H Addyis we... Sun now 1
all new lynch meltdown Jan 20 Tashmoo 16
j e f f r e y Jan 20 I R V I N E 1

Ashburnham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance