Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to p...

Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to pay for school - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 30 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 26, 2010, titled Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to pay for school - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

After the town came out in overwhelming support for the Briggs School vote last week, voters showed they are willing to bite the bullet and pay more taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
oh please

AOL

#21 Dec 27, 2010
guest wrote:
People who dont have or never had kids should NOT PAY ANY OF A SACHOOL TAX.
It is the parents decision and responsibiluity period.
who paid for your education?

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Dec 27, 2010
My father 100% ^The school was not needed that bad AShburnham is a loser trying to compete with other town they will see a lawsuit from me.
Former Ashburnham Residen

Fitchburg, MA

#23 Dec 27, 2010
Local aid wrote:
There will be another vote next year when we have save teachers because of the possible cut to local aid by 10%.
Will you leave?
Former Ashburnham Idiot

Fitchburg, MA

#29 Dec 27, 2010
guest wrote:
You need to leave in a hurry!
YouMissedYours

Harvard, MA

#30 Dec 27, 2010
guest wrote:
It's obvious that you didn't take advantage of the education that was offered to you THAT EVERYONE IN YOUR COMMUNITY PROVIDED WHEN YOU WERE A STUDENT.

It's called, paying it forward; someone paid for yours, now you pay for someone else's.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#31 Dec 27, 2010
YouMissedYours wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious that you didn't take advantage of the education that was offered to you THAT EVERYONE IN YOUR COMMUNITY PROVIDED WHEN YOU WERE A STUDENT.
It's called, paying it forward; someone paid for yours, now you pay for someone else's.
You are one sick puppy must love this LOSER town the school will never get built Print this out when this comes to fruitition along with this Ghost town.
In the Know

Westminster, MA

#32 Dec 28, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have thought it was a good decision if you bought what the sales flier pitch used to sell it. It still seemed like an extravagance when better could have done with the money. We were told that any leftover money would go to repairing the road up to Overlook. Not only was there no money left, I believe they were actually a little short for their beautiful, Cushing-like field. It just seemed like a huge waste of money, which makes me distrust the school leadership.
Joe, you need to get your facts straight. First of all no additional tax dollars went into putting in the field or the track (the two projects put forth by the School Committee). The funds that paid for these projects were those that were due the Towns from building Overlook. When Dr. Zapantis and his office were able to recover the held back funds, the School Committee took the projects to the Towns. Both the Field and Track were in desperate need of repair and because they were using recovered funds, the cost to the taxpayer was nothing. The funds did not cover the cost of the top of the line field and were not supposed to cover that additional cost. The Booster Club decided they wanted to go for the highest level of field and they did some fundraising to get the top quality field and new bleachers.

As for the Overlook driveway paving project. Any leftover funds from the other two projects were going to go towards that and again that was done with funds that were gained by additional reimbursements from the Federal and State governments to the School Budget, as well as money saved from a budget freeze. So you may not like that these three projects happened but you have to give credit to the School Committee and Administration for getting these projects done without any additional expense from the taxpayer.

Lastly, nice job Ashburnham in voting for the new school, nice to see my vote counted for once.
Joe

Gardner, MA

#33 Dec 28, 2010
The decision to put in the synthetic field was a done deal from the start. If the town had gone with renovated dirt all 3 projects could have been done with the money they got back that should have gone to the taxpayers. I still have the articles and figures around from that time so say what you like, but you know what I say is true.
Former Ashburnham Idiot

Fitchburg, MA

#34 Dec 29, 2010
Local aid wrote:
There will be another vote next year when we have save teachers because of the possible cut to local aid by 10%.
I will buy your house...in a hick town like Ashburnham the price should be well under $25,000.00 dollars. Please respond ASAP
Former Ashburnham Idiot

Fitchburg, MA

#35 Dec 29, 2010
ANGRY wrote:
Townie kiss this, im on social security security im to leave this town to pay for kiddies who have parents both working also kiss this.
I am on Social Security too...I agree it is hard to make it on $2100.00 per month and only $1.4 Million in the portfolio. You are probably struggling on the same amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just Another Tuesday 1 hr Cedar Street momm... 10
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... 9 hr Louie 2
remember that lynch is out of his mind Sun Anthony Zeppole 5
News Coast Guard: Body recovered from Gulf sailboat ... Jun 24 Think About It 2
Lynch not running for Elected Position anymore Jun 23 Louie 12
Kevin Lynch, Big Fat Blowhard Jun 23 Voters love LYNCH 11
Down Syndrome chicks are soooooo hot. (Jul '10) Jun 21 Skywalker 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashburnham Mortgages