Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to p...

Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to pay for school - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 30 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 26, 2010, titled Ashburnham residents OK tax hike to pay for school - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

After the town came out in overwhelming support for the Briggs School vote last week, voters showed they are willing to bite the bullet and pay more taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 26, 2010
Yes we have foreclosures that brought the value down in our area.
The town assessor still put full value to rebuild minus depreciation at current rebuild rate Time to sue the town.
I will not pay 19.03 i care less what this loser hick town has.
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Dec 26, 2010
PS I bet they want 19.03 three years before its built also i bet the country will be in much worse shape in three years then now. I cant wait to leave this town.
Local aid

Gardner, MA

#3 Dec 26, 2010
There will be another vote next year when we have save teachers because of the possible cut to local aid by 10%.
Here We Go Again

Gardner, MA

#4 Dec 26, 2010
What I'm wondering about is what happens when many people can't pay their property tax or there are a lot of foreclosures. Then everybody else has to pay more taxes. It just does not seem fair. Approx. a thousand people what to build a school, raise the tax rate and have no idea how this will impact the rest of the people in this town. There isn't any real commercial industry to offset the tax basis. When are they going to figure out a plan to stabilize the tax rate? Having a long range plan? What happened with making do with less? Making a budget and living with in your means? People that want to buy a home need to have at least a 20% down payment. Why don't towns that want to build new schools have to do the same? Do we have 20% of the cost to build this school--not including what the state is giving?
townie

Worcester, MA

#5 Dec 26, 2010
ANGRY wrote:
PS I bet they want 19.03 three years before its built also i bet the country will be in much worse shape in three years then now. I cant wait to leave this town.
Sounds like you should leave the country, I hear Mexico is nice or maybe Iran or Iraq? What other country do you get what you get here in the United States. You are right, everything is not perfect and never will be to some. Check out the cost to live in other parts of the free world! We Americans always have something to complain about, but just think a minute to what you really have compared to most in other countries.

And by the way I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year and if I insulted someones religous beliefs by these words too bad and one more GOD BLESS AMERICA!
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Dec 26, 2010
Townie kiss this, im on social security security im to leave this town to pay for kiddies who have parents both working also kiss this.
I voted Yes

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Dec 26, 2010
Local aid wrote:
There will be another vote next year when we have save teachers because of the possible cut to local aid by 10%.
I am so proud of the folks of Ashburnham for voting yes. It brings tears to my eyes that so many of us cared enough for the children to vote yes! We need to keep up the momentum and get ready to support our teachers for next year. I will be ready and able to campaign for a 2 and 1/2 override to give the teachers what they need to educate our children. Our children are our future!
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Dec 26, 2010
This town is crazy, all they know how to do is spend, spend and spend. People are losing their homes and the towns just keeps raising taxes and fees.

They won't need a new school once everyone moves out
ANGRY

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Dec 26, 2010
I voted Yes wrote:
<quoted text> I am so proud of the folks of Ashburnham for voting yes. It brings tears to my eyes that so many of us cared enough for the children to vote yes! We need to keep up the momentum and get ready to support our teachers for next year. I will be ready and able to campaign for a 2 and 1/2 override to give the teachers what they need to educate our children. Our children are our future!
If you have money like this why did you move to such a dumpy town? PS the schools are low in ma sdtandards. 6 out o9f 10.
disgusted

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Dec 26, 2010
JIm wrote:
This town is crazy, all they know how to do is spend, spend and spend. People are losing their homes and the towns just keeps raising taxes and fees.
They won't need a new school once everyone moves out
wow what a loser.
disgusted

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Dec 26, 2010
not you jim you are smart enough to move , (ivoted yes is the loser.
disgusted

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Dec 26, 2010
Not you jim I voted yes is a loser.
Joe

Gardner, MA

#13 Dec 26, 2010
The decision by the school committee to install the synthetic field a couple of years ago made me a school non-supporter. If they had enough money to waste on that they don't need my yes vote in an override.
Nice

Leominster, MA

#14 Dec 26, 2010
"after the town came out overwhelmingly" meaning 6 city employees and a dog. They voted to raise taxes even though jobs are running from the town and everyone is looking for a job.
Bill

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Dec 26, 2010
any one know why zanpantis stayed after his retirement. The town said they could not get a qaulified super.
Or the town used him to get new school for town employees grandbrats.
Was zanpantis doing a double dip making this school vote illegal?
quagmire

Westminster, MA

#16 Dec 26, 2010
Based on the comments, many here could have used a better education.
The Children

Pepperell, MA

#17 Dec 26, 2010
I voted Yes wrote:
<quoted text> I am so proud of the folks of Ashburnham for voting yes. It brings tears to my eyes that so many of us cared enough for the children to vote yes! We need to keep up the momentum and get ready to support our teachers for next year. I will be ready and able to campaign for a 2 and 1/2 override to give the teachers what they need to educate our children. Our children are our future!
Yes, Do it for the children.
Its better than forks

Raynham, MA

#18 Dec 26, 2010
Joe wrote:
The decision by the school committee to install the synthetic field a couple of years ago made me a school non-supporter. If they had enough money to waste on that they don't need my yes vote in an override.
Even if you do disagree with the decision to go with the synthetic turf (a decision I felt was a good one) You cant blame that entirely on the school committee. The two towns had to vote on that one at town meeting, and both towns passed it. So spread the love

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Dec 27, 2010
People who dont have or never had kids should NOT PAY ANY OF A SACHOOL TAX.
It is the parents decision and responsibiluity period.
Joe

Gardner, MA

#20 Dec 27, 2010
Its better than forks wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if you do disagree with the decision to go with the synthetic turf (a decision I felt was a good one) You cant blame that entirely on the school committee. The two towns had to vote on that one at town meeting, and both towns passed it. So spread the love
You may have thought it was a good decision if you bought what the sales flier pitch used to sell it. It still seemed like an extravagance when better could have done with the money. We were told that any leftover money would go to repairing the road up to Overlook. Not only was there no money left, I believe they were actually a little short for their beautiful, Cushing-like field. It just seemed like a huge waste of money, which makes me distrust the school leadership.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynch Anti Violence Scam. 6 hr Zing 2
News Gardner police officer faces molestation charges (Sep '11) Fri MikeP 29
Vote Lynch for city councilor at large in Fitch... (Jul '13) Fri Tom Brady 947
News Eight Fitchburg residents apply for vacant City... Fri Funny Lou 6
News Theater in better shape than shopping cart Fri Funny Lou 3
News Helping those who battle addiction Thu Tom Brady 6
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) Feb 15 Colonel Klink 561

Ashburnham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance