Ashburnham residents easily pass prop...

Ashburnham residents easily pass proposal for new school - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 83 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Ashburnham residents easily pass proposal for new school - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Voters came to the J.R. Briggs Elementary School gym and cast ballots on the fate of the old school: Tear it down and build anew? Or leave it be? Polls closed at 8 p.m., and shortly afterward the count was final: Yes: 813.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
resident

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 17, 2010
The town will regret this before the school is even built.
I moved here years ago because of the 2011 depression.
Well when you have slow people the boston people who want immediate gratification from there new found dollar thing like this happen.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Dec 17, 2010
I was told shovels will be in the groung this summewr This was befor the vote (go Figure)
Yes for Briggs

Plainville, MA

#3 Dec 17, 2010
Thank You to the Ashburnham voter who recognized the need to build a new school and voted yesterday. Also, a special thanks to the "Yes for Briggs" group that did a lot of work educating the residents and getting the word out about the ballot vote. Great Job!!!!!
Shaking My Head

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Dec 17, 2010
I don't get it. 28% of the town came out to vote on an issue that affects 100% of the town. That's not an overwhelming majority to me.
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Dec 17, 2010
As predicted, the voters keep voting for higher taxes,and more and more people are being driven out. Once the school is built, it won't be half filled because they have forced so many out of town because of their fiscal mis-management.

this is one of the reasons so many schools are being closed in the state, people are being forced out because our elected officials have made it too expensive to live or work here.

Massachusetts will become a state only the wealthy can afford to live in.
Joe

Berlin, MA

#6 Dec 17, 2010
Could the first poster form an understandable sentence please.

We are now looking at a $20 per 1000 tax rate next year. This year $17.15+$1.88=$19.03 PLUS next years increase (this years was $0.99).

The school did need to be replaced more than the Public Safety building and the Town Hall but those were voted on first.

We CANNOT have anymore over-rides until some of the outstanding stuff is paid for at least. The town is over-extended and it shows my the Public Safety and Town Hall staffing levels.

Don't think for a minute it won't be thought of,'Stimulus Dollars' have run out and all the cuts that could have been made last year must now be made this year.
Shaking My Head

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Dec 17, 2010
JIm wrote:
As predicted, the voters keep voting for higher taxes,and more and more people are being driven out. Once the school is built, it won't be half filled because they have forced so many out of town because of their fiscal mis-management.
this is one of the reasons so many schools are being closed in the state, people are being forced out because our elected officials have made it too expensive to live or work here.
Massachusetts will become a state only the wealthy can afford to live in.
I agree, especially with the last statement.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Dec 17, 2010
Boston is even shutting down schools.
Old Townie

Fitchburg, MA

#9 Dec 17, 2010
JIm wrote:
As predicted, the voters keep voting for higher taxes,and more and more people are being driven out. Once the school is built, it won't be half filled because they have forced so many out of town because of their fiscal mis-management.
this is one of the reasons so many schools are being closed in the state, people are being forced out because our elected officials have made it too expensive to live or work here.
Massachusetts will become a state only the wealthy can afford to live in.
Well Jim, maybe that would be good for Ashburnham. Get the complainers and riff raff out and replace them with people that support the town and school system.
Concerned citizen

United States

#10 Dec 17, 2010
This should have industry flocking to our town for the next 20 years!
coo coo cachoo

Charlestown, MA

#11 Dec 17, 2010
I get a kick out of those people that think this significant bump in the tax rate will go away when the loan is paid off. Sure it will...sure it will. The bump in rates are here to stay forever!
concerned

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Dec 17, 2010
Old Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Jim, maybe that would be good for Ashburnham. Get the complainers and riff raff out and replace them with people that support the town and school system.
People who want a good education dont go to a 7 school only 8 or higher middlesex, and essex county Ashburnham cut it compared to fitchburg and immediate areas not the state.
excellent choice

Lowell, MA

#13 Dec 17, 2010
This is a great school system, and it will pay for itself with all of the people wanting to choice in. Congratulations Briggs...here's to a future of learning success in an up to date environment for the kids! The kids are the future and they deserve the best. With access to a 21st century school to prepare them is an invaluable investment.
Nat

Gardner, MA

#14 Dec 17, 2010
Thank you Ashburnham!!!
not a townie

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Dec 17, 2010
JIm wrote:
As predicted, the voters keep voting for higher taxes,and more and more people are being driven out. Once the school is built, it won't be half filled because they have forced so many out of town because of their fiscal mis-management.
this is one of the reasons so many schools are being closed in the state, people are being forced out because our elected officials have made it too expensive to live or work here.
Massachusetts will become a state only the wealthy can afford to live in.
Please remember the elected officials did not propose this, the school committee did. The voters voted for this, God knows why? Briggs is going to be laying off teachers for fiscal 2011/2012 and the years to follow. The new school is not going to have enough teachers to fill the huge school. The stimulus money the schools got this year is it, they are not going to get anymore money for the schools. That means they are going to be going after the taxpayers once again saying they need more money for the schools, do it for the children. This is going to get worst before it gets better. If you try to explain it to anyone who disagrees they call you ignorant. They say you hate the children. We are in for a world of hurt. This was a very bad decision to spend this money in such a bad ecomonic time. I have heard people say that the property value will be going up becasue of a new school, not true. I know 2 people who did not buy in town because the taxes are too high. People are not going to move here becasue we have a new school, people move to a town if the school has a good district, test results, not if the building is new? Talk about "no-brainer". disappointed
Most of the

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Dec 17, 2010
People who did not vote or voted no, will not even be around 20 years from now. But 20 to 40 years ago when they had children in school, they were the ones with the say yes signs. Making way for the house openings that will be available when elderly home owners move out to less expensive areas to make ends meet. Yet, they do not know it's the very same people who mainly support the downtown businesses,since they prefer not to travel to shop etc. It's a sad cycle that is played over and over again all over America. But this cycle is different than most, as it is the first time Baby Boomers are in the mix as the elderly population. Hence larger numbers than before will be exiting to area more affordable. Problem is: The people left here for the next generation cycle will be faced with higher tax increases with fewer improvements as the taxes will be used for short coming's and not improvements, such as the new school.
Westminster Dad

Gardner, MA

#17 Dec 17, 2010
Thanks to the voters of Ashburnham to approve the school funding.
Tom

Worcester, MA

#18 Dec 17, 2010
How many of you people complaining voted yesterday? I voted, and it was YES. The school was going to be renovated anyway so might as well take the portion the state is chipping in, otherwise we would have received zero from the state. It is time to put a stop any more capital projects in town and let people adjust.
not a townie

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Dec 17, 2010
Tom wrote:
How many of you people complaining voted yesterday? I voted, and it was YES. The school was going to be renovated anyway so might as well take the portion the state is chipping in, otherwise we would have received zero from the state. It is time to put a stop any more capital projects in town and let people adjust.
I voted so I can complain all I want. too bad for you!Of Course you say that now ,because you got what you wanted. Sorry but life still must go on and we can not stop all capital planning issues, like the roads. What would happen to your precious children if they have no roads to drive on to get to their brand new school. We still need to operate as a town , not just a school.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Dec 17, 2010
Tom wrote:
How many of you people complaining voted yesterday? I voted, and it was YES. The school was going to be renovated anyway so might as well take the portion the state is chipping in, otherwise we would have received zero from the state. It is time to put a stop any more capital projects in town and let people adjust.
We voted no Why did you come here winchester schools are superior to Ashburnhams?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just Another Monday 18 hr Lynch for Cow Dung 2
News Concerned Fitchburg residents get tour of propo... Wed David Lynch 9
News Fitchburg fire chief and firefighters honored T... Wed Medal of Truth 7
Help Feed Our Community (HFOC) Tue Tami 1
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) Tue Fat Stevie 85
Uncle Remus Tue Irvine 1
News Fitchburg man and Worcester woman pronounced de... (Jul '10) Mon Mom to Tom 27

Ashburnham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashburnham Mortgages