Special election to decide funding for school - Sentinel & Enterprise

With quite a bit more than the two-thirds majority vote required, town residents passed an article to be placed on a ballot that would address funding for the proposed John R. Briggs Elementary School during Special Town Meeting on Wednesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vote Yes

Ashburnham, MA

#21 Nov 18, 2010
concerned wrote:
You do not need a school this size period (this is a way losera think)
The school has to plan for the future...you don't want to have to pay for an addition in 10 years do you?
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Nov 18, 2010
Please grow up the town did not, They refuse to lower taxes on foreclosed houses. The houses go into disrepair, the nieghborhood goes down also.
The town taxes on the cost to rebuild at current rates minus depreciation thus hurting all in the area. People wont buy because of the tax (fact)
Ashburnham has had a higher loss in value than Fitchburg, or Gardner or winchendon. But has the HIGHEST TAX, WHY?
confused

Leominster, MA

#23 Nov 18, 2010
So let me get this straight. The town has to act now so it can get grant money from the state and basically steal it from other state residents. Waiting any longer would be immoral, steal the money now so teachers from N.H. have a new break room.
Do The Right Thing

Marlborough, MA

#24 Nov 18, 2010
citizen wrote:
Please grow up the town did not, They refuse to lower taxes on foreclosed houses. The houses go into disrepair, the nieghborhood goes down also.
The town taxes on the cost to rebuild at current rates minus depreciation thus hurting all in the area. People wont buy because of the tax (fact)
Ashburnham has had a higher loss in value than Fitchburg, or Gardner or winchendon. But has the HIGHEST TAX, WHY?
Very simple. Ashburnham has no business. What we do have, we are losing. Over 96% tax revenues comes from residential real estate. Until we get some form of tax revenue to offset residential taxes, we are stuck. The harsh reality is that every 10 years since the 80's we should have invested in these large capital projects, but we did not. So, in a nutshell we were not paying realistic taxes back then and we are now paying the piper because of this. People have to understand that the State is going to force us to do something. I don't like having to shell out even more on my taxes, yet I realize that there were many years when I was not paying realistic taxes. All things considered, the right move is to build new and be done with it.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#25 Nov 18, 2010
The right thing to do is SUE THE STATE for not funding this 100%
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#26 Nov 18, 2010
Do The Right Thing,
So what you are saying the town spent millions on a public Safety building without looking at what is more needed in town. You cant get an EMT on a satafternoon.
Then they spend more than a million on a town hall that has major problems in two years, Also cant fill the offices and also works four day week.
THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE TOWN PERIOD!
Ray

Fitchburg, MA

#27 Nov 18, 2010
The community journal says it all!
man oh man

Jamaica Plain, MA

#28 Nov 19, 2010
And we let these people vote!
Yes for Briggs

Milton, MA

#29 Nov 19, 2010
concerned wrote:
You do not need a school this size period (this is a way losera think)
The size of the school is determined my a formula from the MSBA. The MSBA uses the enrollment figure and plugs that into their formula. The enrollment figure was an agreed upon figure between the MSBA & the Briggs Building Committee. The committee does not have any control over how big the building is. This is the best and only option we have, us you want to spend the 13+ million dollars on a 40+ year old building. That's throwing good money after bad.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#30 Nov 19, 2010
We will RENOVATE no new school
And you stick to your tewachers job
concerned ash resident

United States

#31 Nov 19, 2010
citizen wrote:
This shows how screwed up some people's thinking is...it will cost almost as much to renovate, will take longer to complete and it will not last as long as if we built new. Why cheap out when you could build a better building that will last longer and get the kids in there a lot quicker than if you renovated, and not disturb their education at the same time.

As for those saying the tax will never come off. That is impossible, it is a debt exclusion which means the tax must be removed after the debt is paid, the DOR will make sure of that.
josh

Fitchburg, MA

#32 Nov 19, 2010
So you want people to lose thier houses for your oversized School?
To heat this monster will cause more pollution then a sensible sized school.
Thank god Ashburnham has a long history of saying yes va town meetings but VOTE NO at the ballot.
adam

Fitchburg, MA

#33 Nov 19, 2010
Say a paper distorts news to sway votes they may very well be SUED for interferring with freedom of speach.
concerned ash resident

United States

#34 Nov 20, 2010
josh wrote:
So you want people to lose thier houses for your oversized School?
To heat this monster will cause more pollution then a sensible sized school.
Thank god Ashburnham has a long history of saying yes va town meetings but VOTE NO at the ballot.
How is it oversized? The plans have designated the minimum size for classrooms and everything in the plans is just adequate for the size of the school population. If you think it is oversized, attend a meeting and ask questions, don't just hide on this forum, ask questions and get the answers, unless you are just one of those that are voting no and just are putting out false information to get people to vote no.
josh

Fitchburg, MA

#35 Nov 20, 2010
Has it changed from 5000 to 8500 sq feet?
People are leaving this town not comming to this town The town is bliighted and has more forclosures population wise then any nearby town.
(Read the community journal)
Joe

Gardner, MA

#36 Nov 20, 2010
Great, another $500 on my tax bill. As for "a big house", my taxes have tripled in 20 years, my salary hasn't. The increased taxes aren't the fault of my house size. It's the cost of government and their regulations that continue to drive up costs.
no way

Townsend, MA

#37 Nov 21, 2010
Ashburnham is #3 in the state for foreclosures!
Matilda

Leominster, MA

#38 Nov 21, 2010
Ashburnham needs to be realistic. There are many,many people not paying taxes and nothing is done. If they would collect back taxes from the deadbeats they would not have to pay more in taxes. they should auction off the properties that are behind in taxes-of course this would not help the foreclosures that are so bad
man oh man

Jamaica Plain, MA

#39 Nov 22, 2010
citizen wrote:
Again, I say... we let these people vote!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
davd gould 4 hr oahu 6
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs 5 hr Tammy 37
This time I really mean it. Really. 7 hr Voters want to know 7
Interesting Facts About Mr Lynch 10 hr Insider Info 1
Current Fitchburg 14 hr The Real Story 8
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) Tue Lynch Clone 68
Do you approve of Richard Bastien as State Repr... Tue Harold Lennerton 1

Ashburnham News Video

Ashburnham Dating
Find my Match