Official: Ashburnham 'lucky' about its tax rate - Sentinel & En...

Dec 30, 2008 Read more: Sentinel & Enterprise 9
The state Department of Revenue has approved a property tax rate for the town of $13.88 per $1,000 of assessed value. Read more
FMO

Oxford, MA

#1 Dec 30, 2008
Here we go again. The puzzled reactions to tax rates going up in a down market, and "sheer luck" illustrate the illusiveness of the tax rate concept. Folks. IT DOES NOT MATTER. What you really want to know is, how many more dollars are you paying this year than last year.(It might be helpful to express that amount as a percentage increase ---its never a decrease-- that would be a more meaningful figure to the individual taxpayer than the tax rate.)

I exagerate, of course the tax rate matters because it relates to the value of your house. You want to make sure your house is valued correctly, so you only pay your fair share. But really, ignore the tax rate. Your taxes have gone up in actual dollars virtually every year, whether your tax rate has gone up or down, check it out!
Number crunch

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Dec 30, 2008
FMO is right. Does any town honestly LOWER the property values to take into account lower house prices? I doubt it. Both valuation and rate matter.
The Old Man of Naukeag

Brookline, MA

#3 Dec 30, 2008
The world is a screwed up mess-that's a certainty! Yet, when I hear people tell me "just how bad things are today," I think about our sons and daughters who are sacrificing comfort and challenging personal safety every single day so those very same people can sit at home complaining. Then I count my blessings and putting them in perspective with the times, I come to the realization that all things are relevant.
Without the sacrifices and efforts to uphold our principles these blessings would be meaningless. There is no good to be had from anything that is not worth some sacrifice. From the very first battle, on through who knows how many more are yet to be fought, all tell the same story. That story is about man and his wants,'tis a tale of injustice, greed, and selfishness. A sad truth that proves man prefers comfort to humanity…a tale that should grow "old" with each drop of life giving blood lost to the earth. Instead, unlike the resounding echo that fades in the distance, it is repeated and repeated. Time after time, it's the same story. Without men and woman like those who are willing to sacrifice, we would all have real reason to complain.
houlpau

Wichita, KS

#4 Dec 30, 2008
If that's lucky, I'd hate to see Ashburnham when it's unlucky.
A-Boo-Shawn

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Dec 30, 2008
The Old Man of Naukeag wrote:

The world is a **** up mess-that's a certainty!

Then I count my blessings and putting them in perspective with the times, I come to the realization that all things are relevant.

There is no good to be had from anything that is not worth some sacrifice. <end>

“On the first day God created the sun -- so the Devil countered and created sunburn. On the second day God created sex. In response the Devil created marriage. On the third day God created an economist. This was a tough one for the Devil, but in the end and after a lot of thought he created a second economist.” This is the definition of all things “RELATIVE” not relevant. Your writing is trying to be something that it can’t be…no matter how hard you try.
The Old Man of Naukeag

Brookline, MA

#6 Dec 31, 2008
A-Boo-Shawn wrote:
The Old Man of Naukeag wrote:
The world is a **** up mess-that's a certainty!
Then I count my blessings and putting them in perspective with the times, I come to the realization that all things are relevant.
There is no good to be had from anything that is not worth some sacrifice. <end>
“On the first day God created the sun -- so the Devil countered and created sunburn. On the second day God created ****. In response the Devil created marriage. On the third day God created an economist. This was a tough one for the Devil, but in the end and after a lot of thought he created a second economist.” This is the definition of all things “RELATIVE” not relevant. Your writing is trying to be something that it can’t be…no matter how hard you try.
Like it or not, we are all pupils attending the classroom of life. Though the curriculum is always the same, the teacher is biased and we aren't all taught the same things at the same time--or in the same way. As a result, every individual, culture, race, gender, religion, etc. has its own unique point of view on most everything; as I am sure…so do you.
Frustrated

AOL

#7 Dec 31, 2008
Tax rates going up or down mean nothing it is what you pay as someone else said. Prop 2 1/2 has the formulas that have to be followed. For the sake of discussion the town needs one million dollars to operate. If your value goes up the tax rate goes down, your value goes down the tax rate goes up, we still need that one million. There is a formula to annually raise the amount of money taxed under prop 2 1/2. Any increases above this number have to be voted on as either permanent overrides or exempted borrowing. Overrides are permanent, exempt borrowing is for the life of the loan like a building or fire engine. The "tax rate" is a phrase that can be played with. If I pay the same, more, or less than last year is what matters. The question to ask officials is, how much has the town budget gone up and out of that how much has the tax assessment gone up.
Jan

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jan 5, 2009
on Jan 3 I received my 2009 property tax bill and my taxes have gone up by 41%. Whatever the basis may be, it certainly seems less than "reasonable" to me.
Just Saying

Lancaster, MA

#9 Jan 5, 2009
Jan wrote:
on Jan 3 I received my 2009 property tax bill and my taxes have gone up by 41%. Whatever the basis may be, it certainly seems less than "reasonable" to me.
Wow that does seem excessive, unless you just built your house, and were taxed last year on the land only.

I don't know where ya are or what you are paying, but lets say you paid about $4000 last year. That means you are paying nearly $6000 this year? Wow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Requesting for truce one more time 1 hr Green Hornet 83
Vote Lynch for city councilor at large in Fitch... (Jul '13) 6 hr Lynchies Mommie 901
News State education chief recommends state takeover... Tue Tammy 4
Dan Kirouac returning to perform in Gardner Tue Massachusetts Mus... 1
News Scesny convicted of murder and rape (Mar '12) Tue rookie 70
Lynch for Mayor -convinced of Murder Plot (Aug '11) Tue Lynchies Mommy 96
News Rollstone CEO elected chair of FSU trustees Mon Jtn 5
More from around the web

Ashburnham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]