Ashburnham to vote on new school prop...

Ashburnham to vote on new school proposal - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 47 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 16, 2010, titled Ashburnham to vote on new school proposal - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Voters will go to the polls today to decide whether or not they want to appropriate the money to build a new J.R. Briggs Elementary School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 16, 2010
They will probably pass it, over the last few years they have approved everything put in front of them, raises taxes, and then complained afterwards
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Dec 16, 2010
IT WILL N OT PASS
Outside looking in

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Dec 16, 2010
Not many people I talk to want to pay taxes, and few if any of the people I talk to want to pay higher taxes. However, many of the people I talk to know the significance of what newer and better schools can do for their cities and towns.

New schools are not just pretty buildings where children and teachers hang out for the day. Schools (and other new construction) built today are more energy efficient, they tend to be less costly to maintain, and they provide quality learning materials (wireless Internet, computers, communication, etc.) at a cheaper price than installing them in older buildings. That's not to say you will get you money back on the taxes you pay in, but you might. depending on the length of time you live in the town.

Another often overlooked advantage to this argument is the FACT that newer and better schools more times than not increase the value of residential property value, because its a great selling point when people are looking for new homes.

To Stephanie Johnson, I don't know how closely you have been following this issue, but the grades the children get have nothing to do with a new or old building, and the grades aren't even the issue. The big issue here is whether or not the existing building is safe, how long with it stay safe, and how much will it cost to maintain it and keep it safe. The heating system and other areas of Briggs is outdated and very costly to maintain. Taxes will have to go up to build a new building or maintain an older one. The difference is, eventually a newer one is going to have to be built anyway. Why not build it at today's prices instead of future higher prices!?
concerned

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Dec 16, 2010
We are voting No this is insane we put in a public safety building and refurbished a town hall in the last six years when we knew we needed a school?
The safety building was a waste of money like the town hall with a leaky roof.
The town school is only 50 years old the school i went to is 150 years old I will never vote for something the town wont take care of .
Yes the school will decrease the value of your house because people wont live here because of LOCATION AND TAXES>
Donnie Fatso

Boston, MA

#6 Dec 16, 2010
I see this vote as a NO, but it will be close. It's too much coin in these economic times.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Dec 16, 2010
It has to be 2/3rds vote!
Old Townie

Ashburnham, MA

#8 Dec 16, 2010
citizen wrote:
It has to be 2/3rds vote!
Negative, just a majority
Old Townie

Ashburnham, MA

#9 Dec 16, 2010
concerned wrote:
We are voting No this is insane we put in a public safety building and refurbished a town hall in the last six years when we knew we needed a school?
The safety building was a waste of money like the town hall with a leaky roof.
The town school is only 50 years old the school i went to is 150 years old I will never vote for something the town wont take care of .
Yes the school will decrease the value of your house because people wont live here because of LOCATION AND TAXES>
It seems to me that you have lived in Ashburnham for a long time? Not real sure what your rational was for not needing to renovate the Town Hall or build a new public safety building, but it's people like you and people that have this thought process as to why the Town is faced with all theses issues now. Because a plan wasn't put in place 50 years ago, the Town is facing these things now, when everything is falling apart! If this passes you still have to look at our roads and the highway department!! Because of this failure of planning for the future, it's going to cost the residents that live here now. We should learn from this and make sure our children and grandchildren don't have to face such choices in such a short period of time.
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Dec 16, 2010
ITS 2/3 RDS
Do the right thing

Marlborough, MA

#11 Dec 16, 2010
Old Townie wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to me that you have lived in Ashburnham for a long time? Not real sure what your rational was for not needing to renovate the Town Hall or build a new public safety building, but it's people like you and people that have this thought process as to why the Town is faced with all theses issues now. Because a plan wasn't put in place 50 years ago, the Town is facing these things now, when everything is falling apart! If this passes you still have to look at our roads and the highway department!! Because of this failure of planning for the future, it's going to cost the residents that live here now. We should learn from this and make sure our children and grandchildren don't have to face such choices in such a short period of time.
Well put, could not have said it better. By not reinvesting in the town in the past means that we were paying unrealistically low taxes back then. The way to look at this is if you take the "under tax" years vs. the higher taxes years, it averages out.
Do the right thing

Marlborough, MA

#12 Dec 16, 2010
citizen wrote:
ITS 2/3 RDS
You are wrong. All it takes is 1 vote majority. Trust me, I know. If you do not believe this, just wait and see.
Ash Resident

Worcester, MA

#13 Dec 16, 2010
Just voted YES!!
Ashburnham Parent

Gardner, MA

#14 Dec 16, 2010
Of course no one wants to pay more taxes -- ever. But, the reality of this is that we will have to pay more regardless of what we do. If we vote this down and keep the old school, the repairs will cost us and we'll wonder why we didn't just go ahead with the new school. If we take advantage of this opportunity to get funding from the state then our children will be able to spend their days learning in a building that is not leaking from the roof or making our kids caugh because of the existing mold in the school. Town hall and the public safety building aside, a new school will bring increased value to our small town. If there is anything worth investing in, isn't it the children in our town? Our future? Let's not kick ourselves two years down the road when we realize that we might have missed out on the best opportunity for this town!!! Please, think this through thoroughly and don't just look at the tax increase for the new building. Look at the tax increase for the old decripit building and tell me if THAT tax increase to fix the OLD building makes sense???
Two YES votes from our household!
beth

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Dec 16, 2010
The town ddnt take care of the old school WE will vote no
Julie

AOL

#16 Dec 16, 2010
A yes vote here. People in town really need to look at the negative impoact a failing school has on your property. For those who vote no, please sign up to spend a week helping in a portable classroom. Then go play a basketball game in the classroom they call a gym. Our children converge on Overlook lacking, partly due to an inadequate school. There has long been comparison of abilities between Ashburnham and Westminster. Simple things like learning in an actual gymnasium do have merits. Your home would not pass inspection with wires run along ceilings. Why should our schools. I wonder if "no" voters have ever been inside Briggs?
citizen

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Dec 16, 2010
The gym is very very nice this is where we vote NO!
Tom

Worcester, MA

#18 Dec 16, 2010
I've been in the school, and it's a dump. Beth wrote the town didn't take care of it. What a joke! Times are tough, and the school WILL HAVE TO BE RENOVATED IF THIS FAILS. So might as well use some of Deval's money. I'm voting yes.
citezen 99

East Hartford, CT

#19 Dec 16, 2010
Are you people crazy? Our taxes are ridiculous now! Our roads are falling apart yet nothing is done because we don't have the money... We have a newly renovated high school, practically a new middle school, a safety building (yeah, we really needed this!), a newly renovated town hall...

we own a Humvee (why?), an air boat (again why)... Has anyone called the police and actually had them show up? I have been told they are too busy...

And your argument is our property value will go up with yet another new school? What drugs are you people smoking? Oh wait, you have kids, so you want your kids to attend brand new schools... old schools won't do. How many gyms will this one have? How many media rooms?

I'd like our roads fixed - it is the only thing I get for my taxes... if you can even consider this a benefit considering the condition -

NO VOTE
Julie

AOL

#20 Dec 16, 2010
citezen 99 wrote:
Are you people crazy? Our taxes are ridiculous now! Our roads are falling apart yet nothing is done because we don't have the money... We have a newly renovated high school, practically a new middle school, a safety building (yeah, we really needed this!), a newly renovated town hall...
we own a Humvee (why?), an air boat (again why)... Has anyone called the police and actually had them show up? I have been told they are too busy...
And your argument is our property value will go up with yet another new school? What drugs are you people smoking? Oh wait, you have kids, so you want your kids to attend brand new schools... old schools won't do. How many gyms will this one have? How many media rooms?
I'd like our roads fixed - it is the only thing I get for my taxes... if you can even consider this a benefit considering the condition -
NO VOTE
Wow. Do you live in town? For how long? I remember the actual day the humvee arrived. Military Green and in need of work. The Fire Dept. put a great deal of sweat equity into that vehicle. Gee, can you really ask why a town with 7 lakes needs an air boat??? Oh and wait...My child did attend Briggs. And it was a dump then.(1995-2001) Roads would be nice but people continue to vote no on them too.
As far as our police, they do an adequate job for the staffing issues they deal with. I have in fact had to call them and they have never said they were too busy. If that is a fact you should have made it public when it happened.
If you have lived in town then you know based on our experiences with Oakmont it is much less expensive and more productive to build a new school.

Oh and by the way...you spelt citizen wrong.
Dianna

Townsend, MA

#21 Dec 16, 2010
Just voted, surprised not to see all the yes supporters there, only 2 people standing out, where's the passion, where's the long hours put into this project. Surprising.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburnham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg Mayor Wong wants to recycle trash fee... (Jan '09) 4 hr what 19
News Conry calls DPW pick 'ill-conceived;' Wong says... (Jul '08) 4 hr what 28
News Cyclist fight at Longsjo Classic being investig... 5 hr Susie 2
News A wet end to Longsjo Classic in Fitchburg 5 hr Susie 5
News Fitchburg prostitution sting nets five arrests (Oct '13) 7 hr insider 79
News Rain causes postponement of Civic Days events, ... Sun Tammy 3
News Rain, high waters postpone some Civic Days even... Sun Susie 2
More from around the web

Ashburnham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Ashburnham Mortgages